Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Guardians of Harmony.

CastletonSnob

I really want to buy some of the toys, and a new spinoff series would be awesome! I think there is a Guardians Of Harmony comic series so even if we don't get a full show, I'm glad we're still getting some tie-in media.

I say it before and i say it again.

I think of nothing when it comes to it, because it leaves me completly cold. FiM was enjoyable for all groups, while GoH is Hasbros way for trying way to hard to cater at boys.

I won't watch the show, if it's just another generic Cartoon action show, since i don't identify with any of them these days.

• Brohoof 1

The figures look really different from Hasbro's normal pony merchandise and they all look pretty epic. I definitely want to see if they can come up with a good tv spinoff based on it.

The figures look really good, but I probably wouldn't watch a show based on it.

Besides rather wanting and EQG tv series, there would just be a lot better options for me to watch then GOH.

For action based cartoons I could always just rewatch both Avatar series (both of which I like more than FIM), or wait for the second season of Voltron Legendary Defender.

Or I could just watch some more anime.

Even cartoons that aren't strictly action oriented would probably be better such as rewatching all of Gravity Falls or watching some more Steven Universe. (Both of these shows, I also like more than FIM)

• Brohoof 1

I'm with Mesme on this, Guardians tries waaaay too hard to appeal to boys, like "look! My Little Pony is battle-themed! Action! War! So badass!", when the show itself has was able to get it's props and mass appeal by being itself, without trying too hard to cater to that demo(that, and whenever the show does try it, 95% of the time it falls flat on its face)

It's like when Lego made "Lego Friends"(I think that's what it's called) in attempt to appeal to girls, making sets about dreamhouses, dream cars, etc., except it tries way too hard to do that and never needed to try because it already had mass appeal in the first place

• Brohoof 4

I disagree because though MLP was initially aimed at young girls, in my opinion, they've already been trying way too hard to market toward girls focussing on things that aren't exactly relevant or even canon in the show such as characters who aren't even canon not to mention the poor quality designs! It's a fact that the Mane Six are girls but it seems that Hasbro focuses on the fact they are girls rather than their real personalities and cool stuff they've done. Everytime I check out the MLP toys in a store, I find myself cringing a lot at the fact they just keep trying something that's not exactly, in my opinion, true.

With Guardians of Harmony, I feel that this is a step in the right direction for Hasbro finally portraying MLP for what it is to most of us. With show accurate designed toys and better aesthetics, in this new toy line, we get to see the characters' awesome side to their personality. I would also like to point out that Guardians of Harmony is targeted towards boys AND girls which is a move I really like as the fandom is a mix of everybody. Also yes, it was called Lego Friends.

Bottomline, I see it the 'Guardians of Harmony' line as Hasbro finally bringing out the true gem of the show rather than market a side of the show that isn't really there and show that My Little Pony is something to be enjoyed by everybody.

I'm with Mesme on this, Guardians tries waaaay too hard to appeal to boys, like "look! My Little Pony is battle-themed! Action! War! So badass!", when the show itself has was able to get it's props and mass appeal by being itself, without trying too hard to cater to that demo(that, and whenever the show does try it, 95% of the time it falls flat on its face)

It's like when Lego made "Lego Friends"(I think that's what it's called) in attempt to appeal to girls, making sets about dreamhouses, dream cars, etc., except it tries way too hard to do that and never needed to try because it already had mass appeal in the first place

Edited by TheRedHoodedWraith

I disagree because though MLP was initially aimed at young girls, in my opinion, they've already been trying way too hard to market toward girls focussing on things that aren't exactly relevant or even canon in the show such as characters who aren't even canon not to mention the poor quality designs! It's a fact that the Mane Six are girls but it seems that Hasbro focuses on the fact they are girls rather than their real personalities and cool stuff they've done. Everytime I check out the MLP toys in a store, I find myself cringing a lot at the fact they just keep trying something that's not exactly, in my opinion, true.

With Guardians of Harmony, I feel that this is a step in the right direction for Hasbro finally portraying MLP for what it is to most of us. With show accurate designed toys and better aesthetics, in this new toy line, we get to see the characters' awesome side to their personality. I would also like to point out that Guardians of Harmony is targeted towards boys AND girls which is a move I really like as the fandom is a mix of everybody. Also yes, it was called Lego Friends.

Bottomline, I see it the 'Guardians of Harmony' line as Hasbro finally bringing out the true gem of the show rather than market a side of the show that isn't really there and show that My Little Pony is something to be enjoyed by everybody.

You make it sound like FiM was not targeted at Boys, which is just not true. FiM had a unique feel of wonder, fantasy and slice of life to it, that i don't see in any other Cartoon show these days. It's that what makes FiM, well FiM.

Guardians of Harmony, as an idea for a show, just feels like any other Action Adventure show and i am not really interested in that, because there are already too many animated shows for that and i am not interested in any of them.

I am not saying that you're allowed to watch it, because people are entitled to like what they like. I just think this is not the step in the right direction.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, I don't think Guardians of Harmony is going to be a TV show but if it did, I would imagine it would just be Friendship is Magic only with a different name and more episodes like the current season premieres and finales. I don't think it would be that different anyway. Personally, I think Friendship is Magic is just fine as the series.

For the record, MLP was originally aimed at young girls, as shown with most of the toys, but the show was written in a way that it appealed to other demographic and sure enough they came and now we are seeing Hasbro is recognising that MLP is something that boys can like as well, even though most of us already knew that XD.

You make it sound like FiM was not targeted at Boys, which is just not true. FiM had a unique feel of wonder, fantasy and slice of life to it, that i don't see in any other Cartoon show these days. It's that what makes FiM, well FiM.

Guardians of Harmony, as an idea for a show, just feels like any other Action Adventure show and i am not really interested in that, because there are already too many animated shows for that and i am not interested in any of them.

I am not saying that you're allowed to watch it, because people are entitled to like what they like. I just think this is not the step in the right direction.

Edited by TheRedHoodedWraith
  • Brohoof 1

It seems a lot of people across all sites have the wrong impression about GoH.

Every season has a toy theme, or some sort of toy inserted into the show here and there. S4 was Rainbow Power, S5 was Cutie Mark Magic, S6 is Explore Equestria.

GoH is a bit different. Rather than being a toy line for a season, it's a toyline for the entire show, but presented in a way that makes it seem more action oriented or militaristic so it'll appeal to boys and adults. 

Edited by EquestriaGuy
  • Brohoof 1

GoH may be seen as an attempt to pander to the male audience, but Hasbro does nothing but pander. Their marketing tactics are generally very conservative, playing very much into social norms. This can be seen with incidences in the early development in the show, like the Equestria Girls franchise, the infamous Pink Celestia toy, or even Celestia being titled "Princess" as opposed to "Queen". The only reason MLP: FiM was able to appeal to a wide audience is because of the wide berth Hasbro gave to Lauren Faust & crew, leaving them mostly to their own devices and not micromanaging as much as executives would normally be compelled to. They were rewarded handsomely for that strategy.

GoH is mainly a response to MLP's breakout now including a male contingent. Of course, boys like action figures, as does the fandom. So too do girls who aren't interested in the brushables or who crave a bit more variety, who want toys that can do as much as the boys' toys can. It's a net plus for all of those groups. The market was there and Hasbro responded to it. Either way, the fandom as a market is largely responsible for getting a lot of collectible and rare toys produced, as well as upping the quality of certain toylines. Action figures seemed to be one of the most requested toys on the part of the fandom, and Hasbro is finally delivering on that. Granted, the battle theme may seem to be overdoing it, but then again, so was Equestria Girls. It's a quirk that I've come to expect from this company.

Diversifying your audience is the way of the future, with demographic lines being easily blurred and niche audiences rising in power. Hasbro is finding ways to do that, and I hope it works out.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the GOH figures are definitely a step in the right direction. I got the Nightmare moon and Discord with Fluttershy sets. I think the Nightmare moon one is very good, Discord is pretty good, and the Fluttershy that came with Discord is just OK. I only got the Discord/FS set because Discord's eyes were open vs the normal figure. None of the other figures in the GOH series really interest me enough to buy them.

Edited by Cirrus.

I wonder when exactly in fall that Guardians of Harmony comic comes out.

I heard in another conversation outside of this forum, that the comic was pushed back to next year.

I have no official source on that, but that's what i heard.

• 4 years later...