Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Do you drink alcohol?

Member Berry

No.  Never.  Alcohol makes me very uncomfortable.  I hate the idea of changing my personality.  I know it technically does change you, but just lowers inhibitions, but same difference to me.  The idea of doing anything to alter or compromise my mind just terrifies me.  It makes me uncomfortable just to be around people who have consumed enough for it to be noticeably affecting them.  Worse still is the destruction of brain cells and liver damage.  I'm not sure if these things only occur through excessive use, or if there is a minuscule amount of damage with any level of consumption.  I'd never drink, either way.  My mind and body are just important to me.

Honestly, I wish alcohol could be dis-invented due to the amount of death, destruction, and violence it causes.  That said, I do not judge someone for drinking, and I have no issue with people who drink responsibly.  I just wish it was something that didn't have to exist at all.

• Brohoof 4

yes, but not too often and i prefer to drink the low concentration one(under 10%~20%); there's a brand called ice fire in my country, a grapes vodka that only contain 5% alcohol, and it tastes so good  :-P (i drink at least one bottle of that per month i guess)

beers are ok, but i drink karamalz most of time

Edited by Compeador
  • Brohoof 1

One cup of wine before bed usually. My preference is red wine (healthy) and I love port.

Never did the whole "get drunk and have hangover" thing though. Doesn't appeal.

• Brohoof 1

I've noticed drinking's a lot more socially acceptable in Britain than in America. I live in a tiny village in South Wales and we have three pubs (we did have four) 

It's not like I NEED drink to have a good time, it just helps lol.

Nope. No alcohol for me unless it's one of those once-in-a-blue-moon times, as I generally want to stay away from it for multiple reasons (like the risk of becoming an alcoholic and alcoholic beverages just being a tad bit strong for my tastes).

I only managed to drink one plastic glass of sangria so far (which I drank sip by sip), but later that day I felt all woozy and weird for a while, even after resting for an hour and a half. I figured I was drunk from sangria, and I didn't really like how it felt like.

• Brohoof 1

I don't drink because it just doesn't seem rational in general. It costs a lot (at least here with the local tax), dominantly appear to taste like crap, and it's apparent key feature for drinking is to make you a bit woozy or however you'd like to call it. I'd rather have a big bottle of cheap soda every now and then!

Music and games are the alcohol for me!

Edited by Zhooves
  • Brohoof 4

I normally don't spend my money on alcohol, because it's a big waste to be honest. You just pay to ruin your stomach, your kidneys and to get happy and weird for a few hours before you feel like shit eventually. No good to spend your money on something so wasteful.

However, I do drink with my friends now and again just to be social and have a little fun. It's not my definition of fun though, like it is to many others.

My favorite drink is probably Sour Apple.

Edited by darkwingmare
  • Brohoof 1

I'll grab a cooler or mix myself a drink every once in a while, but I'm a real lightweight drinker for the most part. Most of my family seems to drink wine like it's water, so compared to them I barely drink.

• Brohoof 1

Not all that often, when I drink I'm usually at a party or some other social situation, although I've found that I like white wine a lot, so sometimes now and then I'll have some of that with dinner :)

• Brohoof 1

I'm worried about mixing my meds with alcohol so I avoid drinking, maybe I'll start drinking again when I'm off of it.  The only alcohol I'll have for now are meant for cooking with.  I do want to get sake so I can make some stuff but that's pretty much it for me.

Nope. I've made the decision that I will NEVER drink.

If I've been able to avoid drinking for 21 years, then surely I can avoid drinking my entire life.

• Brohoof 2

I am 22 years old and have never had a sip of alcohol in my life. I work at a hospital and have seen countless # of patients who suffer from some form of alcoholic liver disease. I make a conscious effort to set a good example for them by abstaining from alcohol. That's not to say that I will judge anyone who does decide to drink. Just do so in moderation and remember to drink responsibly. 

• Brohoof 2

Personally, I'll never drink alcohol. I don't see how any good could come from it. It costs a lot, and it's not the best thing for your liver. I'd rather have the money in my pocket than the alcohol in my system. 

• Brohoof 2

I'm honestly quite surprised by not only the number of people that don't drink, but also by the number of you that are vehemently against it.

That's not a bad position to be in (I'm not disapproving, just surprised), but it makes me wonder about how you feel about moderation in other areas of your life.

For instance, a black and white stance on something for which moderation is not harmful, could cause you to feel unnecessarily guilty about a similar thing, and you don't want to add guilt to yourself when you are already in the type of poor mental state that could already cause you to make mistakes.  

Imagine one day, you are feeling depressed, and someone pushes a beer on you.  if you then drink that beer, and it makes you feel WORSE, maybe suddenly you are more open to abusing further drinks?  

it makes sense to me to have rules such as:

• i will not drink alone
  • i will not drink when i'm feeling depressed
  • I will limit myself to a single drink per day/social occasion

HOWEVER!

if you have family members who are addicted to something, it seems completely reasonable to me to draw the line in the sand and say "never", as some addiction factors are genetic, and a single drink is enough for some people.

---

I guess i'll answer the question as well:

One of the few times I drink are when I visit one of my favorite microbreweries, as these make some alcoholic drinks that I enjoy, but if they also brew their own root beer, i'm more likely to go for that.  I generally don't enjoy the taste, and my limit is one.  I once had 1.5 beers because my girlfriend didn't like the taste of the drink she got, so I finished hers, and I felt bad after that, so my tolerance is apparently pretty low.  

back when I lived in Alaska, I participated in curling, and team captains often bought drinks for their teams.  those single flavored beers that I drank once a week during the seasons probably add up to almost 50% of my total lifetime alcohol over my 31 years!  

There was a period of my life, however, where I purposefully drank ZERO alcohol of any kind, in any company, because I was volunteering with people who were pre-disposed to addictive behavior, and it would have just been tragic for any of them to randomly see me drink.  But given that I cared so little about alcohol, this maybe caused me to refuse just three or so drinks.  

• Brohoof 1

I'm honestly quite surprised by not only the number of people that don't drink, but also by the number of you that are vehemently against it.

---

For instance, a black and white stance on something for which moderation is not harmful, could cause you to feel unnecessarily guilty about a similar thing, and you don't want to add guilt to yourself when you are already in the type of poor mental state that could already cause you to make mistakes. 

I'm surprised too. And glad to not be the outsider for once.

You're making a statement that "moderation is not harmful". While the rest of your sentence makes sense if the first part is considered to be true, I don't agree that it is actually true. Even small amounts of alcohol increases the risk of some types of cancer, and breast cancer in particular (also mouth, throat, liver and colon cancer). The alcohol industry has long boosted the myth that alcohol is good for your heart, but the negative effects it has to your body outweigh the (doubtful) positive ones. And while risks aren't greatly increased with a small alcohol intake, perhaps it's right to not be so strict with yourselves and setting unreasonable (?) goals, on an individual level.

When you bring others into the equation, that's another matter completely. The choice to drink or to not drink oftens seems to, like it or not, be a statement (and where I live, non-drinkers have to motivate their choice, while drinkers usually don't). If you want to use statistics and studies: The more alcohol that is drunk in a society, the more people will be addicted or use alcohol in a problematic way (and the less alcohol drunk, the less people will have alcohol related problems). This means even light/moderate drinkers will add to pushing some people over the edge. Whether they think it's their problem or not, it's not for me to say. I do want to state that to me, the responsible and moral thing to do, is to not drink, for others' sake if not for myself.

• Brohoof 2

Alcohol is damned amazing~

I drink it often enough when I have the money for it and if I ever go out to eat anything lunch or later (usually later). I also usually end up drinking at least every other weekend when I can. I just love its effects.~ something about being giggly at everything is just so much fun.

Not a fan of beers or whiskey normally, but you make it a mixed drink or cocktail and make it fruity in flavor and I'll drink almost anything.

I swear I'm not an alcoholic.

Edited by Miss H
  • Brohoof 1