Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Do you drink alcohol?

Member Berry

I got some reasons on why I avoid alcohol:

1-I got close persons who are irritable at best when drunk

2-Tastes nasty

I only drink one or two smirnoffs, or any alcohol that actually tastes good. But like the smirnoffs, not over than two servings 

I used to drink, but quit completely several years ago. Some very good friends stopped me from doing something really stupid one night. The next day I had a pounding headache, and was extremely embarrassed. I haven't had more than an occasional glass of wine with dinner (Just one glass) since.

I'm honestly quite surprised by not only the number of people that don't drink, but also by the number of you that are vehemently against it.

That's not a bad position to be in (I'm not disapproving, just surprised), but it makes me wonder about how you feel about moderation in other areas of your life.

For instance, a black and white stance on something for which moderation is not harmful, could cause you to feel unnecessarily guilty about a similar thing, and you don't want to add guilt to yourself when you are already in the type of poor mental state that could already cause you to make mistakes.  

Imagine one day, you are feeling depressed, and someone pushes a beer on you.  if you then drink that beer, and it makes you feel WORSE, maybe suddenly you are more open to abusing further drinks?  

it makes sense to me to have rules such as:

• i will not drink alone
  • i will not drink when i'm feeling depressed
  • I will limit myself to a single drink per day/social occasion

HOWEVER!

if you have family members who are addicted to something, it seems completely reasonable to me to draw the line in the sand and say "never", as some addiction factors are genetic, and a single drink is enough for some people.

---

I guess i'll answer the question as well:

One of the few times I drink are when I visit one of my favorite microbreweries, as these make some alcoholic drinks that I enjoy, but if they also brew their own root beer, i'm more likely to go for that.  I generally don't enjoy the taste, and my limit is one.  I once had 1.5 beers because my girlfriend didn't like the taste of the drink she got, so I finished hers, and I felt bad after that, so my tolerance is apparently pretty low.  

back when I lived in Alaska, I participated in curling, and team captains often bought drinks for their teams.  those single flavored beers that I drank once a week during the seasons probably add up to almost 50% of my total lifetime alcohol over my 31 years!  

There was a period of my life, however, where I purposefully drank ZERO alcohol of any kind, in any company, because I was volunteering with people who were pre-disposed to addictive behavior, and it would have just been tragic for any of them to randomly see me drink.  But given that I cared so little about alcohol, this maybe caused me to refuse just three or so drinks.  

I don't always see a problem with drinking alone. I'm introverted af and do a lot of things alone. If I was drinking alone every day or NEEDED it to fall asleep or whatever then I'd see a problem with it.

• Brohoof 1

Yep. Copious amounts on a regular basis. Not to say I abuse alcohol, I'm just a regular drinker(what can I say? I AM Australian, after all). I have nothing against people who choose to or not to drink. So long as it's a decision based on reason. It's always put a sour taste in my mouth when I see people on either side demonising the other side.

Speaking of taste, it is a damn shame when I see people who say they 'don't like the taste' of alcohol or only stick to one specific type without trying anything else.

The difference between beer, wine, and liquors are as different in taste as fruit, meat, and vegetables. Even when it comes to comparing different drinks in the same category(brandy and rum for example, both being spirits), it's like comparing chicken to fish, or strawberries to bananas. Even after that, not all beverages of the same general type are different(a Bundaberg rum isn't the same as a Captain Morgan). It'd be like saying all beef tastes the same. Or that there's only one type of banana.

The point being that there are a huge variety of flavours, and without at least discerning the difference between types of spirits, it's hardly fair to write alcohol off for its taste.

• Brohoof 3

No, but more so because I think it tastes bad than that it's bad to drink. Sometimes I drink cider with small amounts of alcohol as well as mulled wine for Christmas, but that's about it.

I'm more of a social drinker, it depresses me to drink alone, but I do occasionally enjoy a cocktail by the pool, or an after dinner liquor. 

Edited by Dinos4Ever
  • Brohoof 1

Yes, but not very much. I only drink at family gatherings, cookouts, clam-bakes, and stuff like that. I don't really like fruity drinks to much, wine's okay, but i prefer bourbon, whiskey, lager, and beer. I have a high tolerance level even though i don't drink often.

• Brohoof 1

I have a high tolerance level even though i don't drink often.

Same, though I believe it's because I typically have a habit of filling my stomach prior to, or in correspondence with drinking, so it probably has to do with my food soaking up the alcohol rather than a built up tolerance in my case. 

• Brohoof 1

I mean I don't really drink (due to me disliking the taste) but I do enjoy collecting the bottles so I get other people to drink stuff like wine and then I take the bottles from them...

That's pretty cool. Do you collect bottles, cans, or both? 

That's pretty cool. Do you collect bottles, cans, or both? 

I collect the glass wine bottles and generally fill them up with water. Then I put the best looking ones on a nice display that I made or in the fancy carrying boxes that some have come in. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't always see a problem with drinking alone. I'm introverted af and do a lot of things alone. If I was drinking alone every day or NEEDED it to fall asleep or whatever then I'd see a problem with it.

sure.

the intent of my statement was to give a sample rule that is healthy for some individuals, not to provide a generalized rule that is appropriate for everyone.

• Brohoof 1

Every once in a while when available or offered. Other wise I don't drink much. Six pack in the fridge? I'll have a bottle or two throughout the day, just for something different, like going from coffee to milk to water/tea/kool aid/soda/etc over the course of a day. If I'm out and someone I'm with offers to by a drink and they're drinking, or tells me to pour a glass from their pitcher, or tosses a bottle/can/location of at me I may partake. 

• Brohoof 2

It is bad for you. 

Actually, numerous studies have proven that some alcohol is healthy for your heart. Doctors recommend a single cup of red wine to be the best for you. 

Actually, numerous studies have proven that some alcohol is healthy for your heart. Doctors recommend a single cup of red wine to be the best for you. 

i barely drink, and I've had maybe 3-4 total sips of wine in my life, but the idea of drinking wine out of a cup makes me cringe for some reason! XD

Edited by weesh

If there's alcohol in it, I'll drink it. But only in moderation, I mostly drink whiskey and beer but only on the weekends or at parties.

30486-2.gif78250003287.jpg

My two favorite drinks of all time.

• Brohoof 1

The only time I really drink is if I am at a bar which almost never happens, at least these days it doesn't happen often since I am buried in debt at the moment. When I do though, it is always cocktails. Be them fruity, chocolate or whatever-I gotta have a cocktail. My Liqueur cabinate is quite impressive too. Since I almost never drink and almost never do it at home I got tons of bottles in my collection and some 10 years old or older now I think.

After Shock

Ameretto

Tequilla

A bottle of cheap cooking red wine

99 bananas

Gold Schlager

Blue Curacao 

Captain morgans Privete Stock

Vodka 

Chambord

Godiva MC

Parrot Bay Orange - Discontinued flavor

smirnoff raspberry

Captain Morgan Black

Peppermint Schnapps 

There are plenty of other studies that contradict that. You should never forget to check who ordered the study. If the research employer is a company that produces alcoholic beverages, it should make you think what result suits them the best. Also, according to many more studies, even small intakes of alcohol increase the risk for mouth, throat, colon and breast cancer.