Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Do you drink alcohol?

Member Berry

Indeed I do drink on occasion. Alcohol in moderation is harmless. I never really get drunk, though; the way I see it, you can't control much in life, why lose control over yourself of all things?

Personally, my drink of choice depends on my mood, and since I drink to relax, I often find myself reaching for absinthe. Other than that, I like whiskey and spiced rum as well as dry red wines... specifically old vine zinfandel being my favorite kind.

I'll drink just about anything, but those are just my favorites :P

Edited by Hocus Pocus

I like my cold beer and a book outside reading or something just about a fire and being outside is just right!  I think about 3 times a week,  mostly its two boys,  a book and me sitting outside or a campfire and hot dogs when i can get away.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, I am a drinker.  Lol, I'm drinking some Rum & Dr. Pepper right now.  :derp: 

I totally respect people who don't drink, and even those totally against it.  But I like to drink.  Ironically, I am allergic to beer.  Most likely, I'm allergic to the hops in it.  I can take literally one sip of beer and if I swallow it, I can feel my stomach churning, and I gag.  Anymore than that and I will puke.

My favorite liquors (that I prefer to mix 50/50 with Cola or Dr. Pepper) are: 

Revel Stoke Whiskey, 90 proof
Jim Beam Devil's Cut Whiskey, 90 proof
Admiral Nelson's Spiced Rum, 70 proof

Of course those first two are more expensive so I tend not to buy them as often, and thus get the cheaper one, the Admiral Nelson Rum.  A 1/5th (750mL) of either the Revel Stoke or Jim Beam is like 20 bucks, but I can get a Handle (1.75L) of the Admiral Nelson for about 18 bucks.  I used to like Southern Comfort but I can't drink that anymore.  Had a bad experience with it once, and now if I even get a whiff of the stuff it makes me nauseous.  

I've tried Vodka before, but I find it difficult to drink.  It's not that I can't drink it, but, I don't enjoy vodka like I do whiskey or rum.  However I think that I would be able to enjoy it if it were mixed with the right thing, and the level of vodka used was low.  

~ Miles

• Brohoof 1

Simply put, yes.

I enjoy beer, usually amber or dark beers with rich, chocolatey or vanilla/toffee flavour tones are my favs. I like red wine, usually not a fan of white. And I drink rum with no mix or chase. "Welcome to the salty spatoon, how tough are ya?" xD

• Brohoof 1

I don't drink at all really. I am old enough to buy AND sell it, and I tend to sell it a lot at my workplace even though alcohol sales are the most (along with cigarette sales) stressful things at my job. (cashier) but back to the point, I don't really drink. I may from time to time, but that is rare. I don't find joy in drinking, so yeah. I am not a fan of the feeling when you do drink, I don't like being out of it, or impaired in any way really. I like to stay alert so. Yeah. Me, not really a drinker. Even though I have friends that really really want me to drink. Also since I drive around a lot, I also don't want to drink, cause when I drink, I can't drive, and I love driving, so I don't drink. (Also cause drinking alcohol and driving or driving while intoxicated issss SOOOO wrong and dangerous)

• Brohoof 2

I <3 a good drink ... i will post some of the drinks i love below, but my absolute favourite is VB ... <3

hero_image_banner.png

this with a morning coffee goes a long way with me :P

184273.jpg

I dont mind a bit of Applejack Deniels with a nice Italian meal :)

5760974e-ba60-4525-8f9b-2e85f2a69dca-jac

and if im out with my weed smoking buddy's (and yes i would have a hit on it from time to time if im with them :P ) I would drink Tequila and have it like this

istock_000036363252_small.jpg

i have other options too, but for the most part i drink these :P

• Brohoof 2

I think a lot of the problems with alcohol lay in the laws surrounding it. In North America, we have to wait until 19 in Canada, or 21 in the USA. Which, to me, is kind of stupid for one main reason. Most people I know, and I'm sure many of you may know, started drinking a little bit way before it was legal to do so. The thrill of doing something that seems so innocent, yet is still illegal is a thrill to people. But once you reach the age where it is legal, people go nuts and drink their faces off because they can. This is not always true, as some people just don't enjoy it as much as others, and that's totally understandable. But for many people, it's the age of "Let loose and do it cause I can."

This doesn't happen in Europe where the legal age is either non existent, or something low like 14. In France, parents will mix wine into their children's water so they grow a taste for it at an earlier age. If you don't make it seem special or dangerous, it tends to actually be less dangerous in the greater scheme of things. If you don't have thrills in doing something, it becomes less likely that you will go out and do it. Again, not always true, but for the majority of people, this is likely the case.

• Brohoof 1

I think a lot of the problems with alcohol lay in the laws surrounding it. In North America, we have to wait until 19 in Canada, or 21 in the USA. Which, to me, is kind of stupid for one main reason. Most people I know, and I'm sure many of you may know, started drinking a little bit way before it was legal to do so. The thrill of doing something that seems so innocent, yet is still illegal is a thrill to people. But once you reach the age where it is legal, people go nuts and drink their faces off because they can. This is not always true, as some people just don't enjoy it as much as others, and that's totally understandable. But for many people, it's the age of "Let loose and do it cause I can."

This doesn't happen in Europe where the legal age is either non existent, or something low like 14. In France, parents will mix wine into their children's water so they grow a taste for it at an earlier age. If you don't make it seem special or dangerous, it tends to actually be less dangerous in the greater scheme of things. If you don't have thrills in doing something, it becomes less likely that you will go out and do it. Again, not always true, but for the majority of people, this is likely the case.

European myself, and rather up-to-date with the research being done here in Sweden - your theory, sorry, is not at all correct. I'm talking about when parents offer their kids alcohol to "teach" them or to be in a safe environment when they drink for the first time. It's been scienced over and over again - teenagers whose parents let them drink at home, will drink more as adults, and are thus at greater risk for alcohol damaging them, from within or without. I don't think parents expect nor want this to happen - they just go along with what they feel is common sense.

Concerning the first part of what you said, I myself don't think symbolic actions should be underestimated. If society says alcohol is bad and only adults should be able to get access to it, not all will listen. But some will. Also, at young age, you're at much greater risk of damaging your brain by consuming alcohol, than when then brain has developed as much as when you're 20 years old. I think, personally, and in regard to my country, that too little is being done to prevent young people from drinking.

• Brohoof 1

I think it's bizarre that how in some states in America a 16-year-old can drive a car yet you have to wait until you're 21 to have a beer :| A deadly vehicle is fine but a can of beer isn't.

I agree, I drank a lot more when I was a teenager as I thought it was naughty and rebellious. 

Where I live (South Wales, UK) it's not a massively huge deal for a 16-year-old to have a bottle of an alcopop. My dad would sometimes buy me and my friends the odd alcopop at 16. My friends' parents would sometimes too. 

The law in Britain is kind of weird. It's not technically illegal to drink under 18, it's just illegal to buy alcohol. 

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/alcohol-facts/alcohol-and-the-law/the-law-on-alcohol-and-under-18s/

Drinking is very common for me since it's part of my work's social scene. I like Corona and Budweiser beers for light drinking, but I love Guiness. I drink mostly straight whiskey and vodka though since I like the taste and I don't get hung over on hard liquor.

Luckily, I'm a very happy drunk and my doctor says my liver is very healthy for the moment!

I absolutely do not drink alcohol. I can't stand the taste of it. It's like taking medicine. The only exceptions would be a little wine on occasion to help me sleep or if I'm feeling under the weather. I do like the smell of alcohol though. I wish it tasted as good as it looks and smells. Then I'd have a barstool with my name on it. 

Personally, I think it tastes like vinegar. Even the 'good' stuff like gourmet port. :-P

It's a blessing, actually; it means I'll never be tempted to drink too much or drive under the influence. :lol:

Yush, my father's an alcoholic, I try my best not to follow his path but sometimes I do tend to drink up quite a bit. The "drunk" part feels extremely nice, forgetting everything and the whole world seems like a better place, everything seems funny, even the simplest of things like walking and talking. 

So yes, I do drink alcohol, but not as much, atleast I try to.

• 4 weeks later...