What did you think of the episode?  

179 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• I roll a NO! >:(
    • That roll...wasn't good.
    • Average roll, average damage.
    • Decent roll; could've been better.
    • AWESOME ROLL, AWESOME WIN!!!

This was an awesome episode. I really enjoyed the roleplaying in this. I'm also glad this eludes more to Big Macs character development towards his goal of heroism. Now if we could only get him more involved in actual adventures. The writers are on the right track. It's just going a little slower than I wished. But better slowly than not moving at all.

Another great Spike episode. He's certainly been having a good run lately. :)

Now if you excuse me, I'm off to create my own Oubliettes & Ogres character. :umad:

• Brohoof 5

Not only is this episode really entertaining, but I can put myself in Discord's shoes a little. In real life, I have a massive inferiotity complex to the point where I act all bitter to people with more friends than me but on reality I just want to be accepted.

9/10

• Brohoof 6

While I enjoyed this one more than 'What About Discord?', I still found this episode underwhelming because of one simple thing: Discord. Yeah, him. Every episode involving him focuses WAY TOO MUCH on his antics and far less on the subject matter. I was hoping for an adventure episode where they traverse the lands of the game while Discord is being his stubborn self but slowly comes to like all of it. This was more of, well, random chaos. So for an episode with only Discord doing Discord things, it is 10/10, but it wasn't that. It was an episode with Spike and Big  Mac with a really cool premise. I still enjoyed the episode for what it is, but mostly because of Spike and Fluttershy at the beginning, and some of the Discord jokes worked, but to me, most of them fell flat. Discord episodes have the wrong idea I think. Yeah, he is chaos incarnate and random and prankish, but there needs to be some restraint.

It wasn't a bad episode, but for the premise and the potential, it was just disappointing. I feel like there was just so much more potential. I mean, they didn't even get to the game until half-way through, and the whole Discord being stubborn thing at the table went on too long. I will say that I did like the ending though, it was fun looking, I just wish there was more of THAT.

If I had ot rate this episode, probably a 5/10. Not bad, not really good, just average.

• Brohoof 7

It was nice of Spike and Big Mac to invite Discord into their fun...because they thought Discord would feel left out! Not much fantasy as I thought there was going to be, but Spike was being an encouraging friend to Discord.

That... was....

AMAZING! This might be one of my newest favorite episodes of the season along with Saddle Row Review and A Hearth's Warming Tail. And it's not just because I've played Tabletop games before. This episode is packed to the gills with excellent character moments from Fluttershy's expressions to Pinkie just casually mentioning that there's a yeti, and pretty much ever interaction between Spike, Big Mac and Discord. It's great seeing Spike and Big mac hang out, cause it's nice to see that Spike has friends outside of the Mane 6. We were briefly told of this during Cutie Map, but seeing it fleshed out more here was great.

If that weren't enough, it's been too long since i laughed this hard at an episode. Discord's entrance had me in stitches, and whoever wrote this episode ships Celestia and Discord hard. If the princess of Spiketopia ended up being called Sparity, I would have lost it.  

My only complaint though is... really Spike? You're running an epic level campaign with level 25-35 characters and you let Discord tag along? Even if you roll him a 20+ character off the bat, just how long until rocks fall, everyone dies?

• Brohoof 7

Fluttershy used reverse psychology to get Discord to hang out with Spike and Mac....I don't think I've ever seen her do that before.

I thought that was how she reformed him in Keep Calm and Flutter On, which makes Discord saying that is beneath her to do so, kind of funny.

yes! YES! YEEES! ladys and gentleman, behold and hold on to your guts, for my new favourite episode has been found!

giphy.gif

...oh screw you.

anyhow, I had extremely high expectations to this episode (it had to make up for "What about Discord?", after all) and boy, it totally lived up to them!

Discord was perfectly on point and at his absolute best here. he managed to deliver every gag by using the full capacity of his powers (while still leaving us wondering how he could ever lose to the mane six. DUDE CREATED A VULCANO FOR CHRISTS SAKE!), and I for one couldn't predict what would happen next. granted, that was the only weak spot of this episode. I hoped we would spend most of our time in the game, but well, a guy can't have everything. I'm not disappointed about this though since the gags we got instead were just as awesome.

I'm surprised that Discord, Spike and BigMacIntosh actually worked together very well. it was a fun, new group, and it was enjoyable to watch them interact with each other. Spike was calm and patient with Discord, more patient than most of the mane six actually. impressive, little dragon. Impressive.

as always when an episode is great, I can't really say anything. I can write essays of complaints, but in that case, I don't have any! it is, without a doubt, my new favourite episode, and I will probably watch it to the death (my death, since I probably won't ever get tired of it). the second half of season six continues it's greatness!

• Brohoof 4

So I finally was able to watch this. Anyways:

What I liked:

Discord: Another fine Discord outing. Chaos spirit running amok and his arc was enjoyable as well as a slight return to the dark side.

Spike: Man this season has been treating this guy good. Very competent straight guy to Discord's shenanigans and seems to play a role inbetween Fluttershy's friendliness to Discord and Twilight's mistrust.

Fluttershy: Okay opening scene was great but I also love how un-phased she was during the volcano scene as well.

The setting and set up: Nice visuals all around and the idea of a pony D&D is great.

What I didn't like:

The pacing/plot resolution: Not that it was bad in itself, it's just that it came to ahead and resolved itself in two minutes. I mean as soon as Discord leaves, Spike immediately feels bad and asks for him back.  It was a little rushed is what I'm saying.

What was meh:

Big Mac: He was just kind of there. He had some small interactions but really he just seemed to be filling up the screen more than anything else. Though him checking out the flapper mare was pretty funny. 

So yeah this one rolled a  20 with me.

• Brohoof 1

So Rainbow Dash is a rogue, huh? That's an interesting one. Naturally, Pinkie's a bard.

I've got to say, I've really liked Discord's depiction over the last couple seasons. He has this preoccupation with being perceived as some kind of stock "cool guy," but in his quest to be seen that way, he often denies himself satisfaction. One has to wonder if he really enjoys going out to swing clubs in zoot suits and fedoras, playing poker and dancing the night away, or if he only surrounds himself with those trappings, because that's his idea of what a "cool" guys' night is supposed to be. I know our culture tends to tell us there's one way to be an interesting guy to hang out with--go out clubbing, be emotionally inaccessible, play "manly" games, etc. It's interesting how this episode subverts that perception by in fact saying that Discord is the one that's kinda weird. In this story, it's Spike and Mac who are doing something a little normal.

I do kinda wish that there had been a bit more of a normal progression from Spike and Mac being receptive to Discord's alternate dimension in its initial incarnation, to them realizing that the enemies on the first go-round were way OP. Like, it wouldn't have been hard to have that first encounter with the squizard's army start with Spike and Mac being confident they could win, but then reasonably good rolls like 13 and 14 were failing consistently against minions, and Spike and Mac react with alarm and distaste. Instead, the progression feels very sudden. Spike and Mac like it when there's no enemies, but they just run when the enemies appear without even seeing whether the enemies are OP.

I think the most satisfying part of the episode, however, was the inclusion, no questions asked, of Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie in the game. Nerd Culture, unfortunately, has a shaky track record with being inclusive to girls and women, and there's no shortage of external forces telling girls that nerdy stuff isn't for them, as well. It was so nice to see such an unequivocal endorsement of females being as much a part of the culture as males.

For what it's worth, I think Twilight would love tabletops, with all of their detail and adherence to rules and numbers. She should give it more of a chance.

• Brohoof 1

That was an AMAZING episode. I was worried it was going to be bad and then I found I was have a blast not even 5 minutes in. Want to know how to do a "boy's night" episode? This.  :squee: The ending with RD and Pinkie just made it all the more epic!  :pinkie:

That... was....

AMAZING! This might be one of my newest favorite episodes of the season along with Saddle Row Review and A Hearth's Warming Tail. And it's not just because I've played Tabletop games before. This episode is packed to the gills with excellent character moments from Fluttershy's expressions to Pinkie just casually mentioning that there's a yeti, and pretty much ever interaction between Spike, Big Mac and Discord. It's great seeing Spike and Big mac hang out, cause it's nice to see that Spike has friends outside of the Mane 6. We were briefly told of this during Cutie Map, but seeing it fleshed out more here was great.

If that weren't enough, it's been too long since i laughed this hard at an episode. Discord's entrance had me in stitches, and whoever wrote this episode ships Celestia and Discord hard. If the princess of Spiketopia ended up being called Sparity, I would have lost it.  

My only complaint though is... really Spike? You're running an epic level campaign with level 25-35 characters and you let Discord tag along? Even if you roll him a 20+ character off the bat, just how long until rocks fall, everyone dies?

Well that's half the fun. Finding inventive ways for the character to meet an untimely demise. LOL  ^_^

I laughed pretty good at multiple points too, though.  :idea:

Discord would enjoy being Sheogorath, I think.  :lol:

Hey guys, let’s make this season into a slicefest and tease all lore enthusiasts with trips to interesting places. Welp, my frustration levels went from a mildly irritated shitposter to a mildly aroused beast of darkness.

Oh, don’t mind the upper paragraph. Worldblighting aside, it was a decent episode that managed not to make fun of hobbies that are considered to be traditionally male in nature. It’s a good start. Still, I prefer fantasy within my fantasy to be, you know, real in relation to its world.

Hey guys, let’s make this season into a slicefest and tease all lore enthusiasts with trips to interesting places. Welp, my frustration levels went from a mildly irritated shitposter to a mildly aroused beast of darkness.

I'm okay with this, mostly because I appreciate a good troll every so often. It's aggravating, but it's also funny to me that I get mad about a show about pastel-colored ponies.

Man did Discord really steal the show in this episode! His wit and antics never get old! The interaction between the character was big strenth of this episode as well.

My main complaint is the pacing. Most of the episode was spent with Discord being very reluctant and it wasn't until the latter half of the episode that we actually get some D&D gameplay. I really wished we've gotten some more gameplay out of it.

All in all, a fun little episode.

I've got to say, I've really liked Discord's depiction over the last couple seasons. He has this preoccupation with being perceived as some kind of stock "cool guy," but in his quest to be seen that way, he often denies himself satisfaction. One has to wonder if he really enjoys going out to swing clubs in zoot suits and fedoras, playing poker and dancing the night away, or if he only surrounds himself with those trappings, because that's his idea of what a "cool" guys' night is supposed to be. I know our culture tends to tell us there's one way to be an interesting guy to hang out with--go out clubbing, be emotionally inaccessible, play "manly" games, etc. It's interesting how this episode subverts that perception by in fact saying that Discord is the one that's kinda weird. In this story, it's Spike and Mac who are doing something a little normal.

I get what your saying and pretty much agree. With Discord, it's really hard to tell what he likes and what he pretends to. I thought right from the start of the game that Discord would really love to make the game realish with his magic (minus the real danger/pain part). We do know he really loves his playful magic and that, I think, is what he wanted to be doing most.  :fluttershy:

I wonder how the episode would have turned out if Shining Armor, Pipsqueak and Angel were added on.

Angel Bunny would be an evil necromancer enemy. Just saying.  :awuh:

I thought this was a very good episode.

I must say, i don't know much about Dungeons and Dragons. I played several Call of Cthulu games, so i think i am still kind of qualified. :P

Discord is Discord, so if you watch an episode with him, you mostly know what to expect. I was always a fan of John de Lancie and i just can't help but love this guy. He totally nails it again with his antics. Some might consider it annoying, i find it hilarious.

Big Mac and Spike being buddies, was kinda hinted in the past, but it's nice to see them actually being together. Especially Big Mac, because i like that stallion and him actually being interested in something, is a nice touch to his character.

At first i feared this episode would be ruined, by too much nonsensical action, but it was used in decent sizes so i really can't complain. Though, i gotta say that some of the parts in the episode where a bit slow, which where only saved by Discord.

All in all, not a 20 roll. But certainly between 14-16. :P

That was kinda underwhelming.  :confused:  

The plot was set up rather quickly, but then it took a mind-numbingly long time for the episode to actually go somewhere. The scene just before they started the game should have only lasted a minute at most, but instead, the episode wasted time on Discord's lengthy arrival and him trying to guess at what they were about to do. I just really think the episode could have used its time better than it did. 

That said, I liked Discord and his antics. The Celestia face in particular was hilarious, though granted, the scene in which it happened was filler. 

Not a bad episode overall, just really average. 

• Brohoof 2

One detail I find kind of interesting was Spike's hero of choice. In all past appearances of him fantasizing himself as some hero, he's always been some traditional looking buff Knight character. But here in this game he instead chooses to be an old, wise and powerful wizard, he's even got a beard.

Sounds kinda like a certain bearded wizard Twilight idolizes...Wonder if that's something that influenced his choice. I find it kind of cute to think that Spike maybe picked his character based off of a desire to be the kind of hero Twilight would admire. :twi:

The inspiration for his beautiful Princess Shmarity is a real mystery to me though. :-P

Edited by Base
  • Brohoof 2

I'm not going to do any funny introductions or anything cause I just don't care just Dungeons and Discords written by Nick Confalone and my thoughts.

Imma just say I don't play DnD so I didn't really care for the premise from the get go. That being said I still had high hopes for this episode because it had potential. I was honestly expecting an episode like Power Ponies... but, ya know... better cause Power Ponies was terrible. Unfortunately we did not get that, what we did get is an episode with 2 acts of nothing and a third act with 4 minutes of something kinda. and a terrible ending.

Its boring, boring, boring, Discord acts like a whiny little c*** for the entire episode when he could have just left when he saw what Spike and Big Mac's idea of a 'guys night' was and wasn't interested..

There were parts that made me cringe, especially Spike and Big Mac's little... dance? I honestly have no clue what that was I just hope they never do it again.

I'm just annoyed cause Nick is a decent writer... well at least better than this (see The Saddle Row Review). It truly is insane how good this episode could have been if it had focused on the game and not Discord trowing a tantrum over wanting to do something else like a 5 year old.

I'm done, Dungeons and Discords 5.5/10 

It's trash 

Edited by Zantetsuken
  • Brohoof 3

Can we just make Nick Confalone the story editor instead of Haber? He's one of the best comedic writers the show's ever had. Almost every line of dialogue in this episode was funny. 

sig-4650306.Hent_496.jpg

Awesome, I been a fan of Spike old school RPG like Knight Tyme in the 1980's.

O god you go to BT? hahahahah as do I, I go by a different name there though. If you've seen my post here though it should be pretty obvious who I am there though. 

Edited by M'gann M'orzz

Interesting episode neverless. Discord's remorse for using his chaotic magic to get his point across is is pretty much classic Discord. Spike and Big Mac seem to have a good time as buddies for guy's night out so that's nice to incorporate. Sadly, the Mane 6 are off to "explore Equestria" so that's a bummer but then it's not a bad thing. Overall, an ok episode but it could of been more.