What did you think of the episode?  

179 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• I roll a NO! >:(
    • That roll...wasn't good.
    • Average roll, average damage.
    • Decent roll; could've been better.
    • AWESOME ROLL, AWESOME WIN!!!

Interesting episode neverless. Discord's remorse for using his chaotic magic to get his point across is is pretty much classic Discord. Spike and Big Mac seem to have a good time as buddies for guy's night out so that's nice to incorporate. Sadly, the Mane 6 are off to "explore Equestria" so that's a bummer but then it's not a bad thing. Overall, an ok episode but it could of been more.

I have literally no desire to ever see the Yaks again so I am quite glad we didn't follow the Mane 6 here.

Kinda amazed this episode is getting a lower rating here than last weeks... seems to be the exact opposite just about everywhere else, /mlp/ in particular which tends to be very harsh is overwhelmingly giving it 8-10s. 

Some people are too stuck up on "things happening" in every episode and are failing to just appreciate good  comedy, which this episode delivered in spades. 

Edited by M'gann M'orzz

Its boring, boring, boring, Discord acts like a whiny little c*** for the entire episode when he could have just left when he saw what Spike and Big Mac's idea of a 'guys night' was and wasn't interested..

Not really going to comment on your opinion of the episode, I disagree personally, but I can understand where you're coming from. However, your thoughts on Discord interest me. You're right, Discord's pretty whiny, like a...

5 year old.

And I fully agree, Discord is at times a lot like a 5 year old, or just a child in general, despite being thousands of years old, and according to some info from the comics, probably even older than that, he's really immature. He's like a child in an adults body with godlike powers.

But, that's part of why I like him so much. He needs to learn the most basic of things about friendship, because he's never really had a "Friend" before. He comes across as whiny and selfish a lot, but when a kid does that, you're supposed to try and teach them how to behave properly. And in a lot of ways, Discord feels like a kid, but I think he's "Growing up" slowly but surely, bit by bit.

Of course, if you don't find his antics amusing, this will probably be more annoying than endearing or interesting. But your complaint about him being like a whiny 5 year old is just something I wanted to comment on, since to me, that's a part of what I like about him.

Edited by Base
  • Brohoof 2

Fun episode! Though, fantasy role-playing in a fantasy world doesn't make a whole lot of sense... but hey, neither does Discord! And what fun is there in making sense? :umad:

(Kinda wish we could've seen what Schmarity looked like though lol)

• Brohoof 1

Not really going to comment on your opinion of the episode, I disagree personally, but I can understand where you're coming from. However, your thoughts on Discord interest me. You're right, Discord's pretty whiny, like a...

And I fully agree, Discord is at times a lot like a 5 year old, or just a child in general, despite being thousands of years old, and according to some info from the comics, probably even older than that, he's really immature. He's like a child in an adults body with godlike powers.

But, that's part of why I like him so much. He needs to learn the most basic of things about friendship, because he's never really had a "Friend" before. He comes across as whiny and selfish a lot, but when a kid does that, you're supposed to try and teach them how to behave properly. And in a lot of ways, Discord feels like a kid, but I think he's "Growing up" slowly but surely, bit by bit.

Of course, if you don't find his antics amusing, this will probably be more annoying than endearing or interesting. But you're complaint about him being like a whiny 5 year old is just something I wanted to comment on, since to me, that's a part of what I like about him.

Well it doesn't annoy me most of the time but in this episode it did mainly cause I believe that time could have been better used with the setup and plot of the episode

Well it doesn't annoy me most of the time but in this episode it did mainly cause I believe that time could have been better used with the setup and plot of the episode

I can see that. I was expecting more time spent on the whole game brought to life idea, with some more adventure and action, when it ended up only being a small portion of the episode. I would have liked to have seen a bit more of it, but I still liked the episode for what it was. The dissapointment some people have though makes sense.

Something I noticed: in the promo of the second part of the season, there was a snippet from a future episode where Twilight and co. were in winter clothing in a snowy landscape, and if I remember right she was opening a gate of some sort.

If this means there will be a Yakyakistan episode, then I wonder when it will air? None of the episodes revealed so far seem to take place in there, at least judging ny their names and synopses.

It would be cool to see what the mane 6 were doing while Discord, Spike and Big Mac were having their guy's night.

Edited by Professional Horse

This episode was interesting, but I could not help but think of Gravity Falls, Dungeons, Dungeons and more Dungeons, which was a unique mix of slice of life and adventure. As we get more of Discord, and his random lack of focus, we get a medieval fantasy RPG, I was never into medieval RPGs, but I was into Japanese RPGs, they have a lot of variation, compared to the typical medieval game. Naturally, Discord was disappointed, as the mane six head off to Yakyakistan, Discord is alone until he is invited by Spike and Big Mac, who somehow gets more screen time, with fewer lines, I say if you are going to have Big Mac, give him more to say, although it's an interesting conundrum given these are side characters, that even Discord pokes fun at. Discord is the more action oriented fun seeker, for he sees clubbing, music and card games, as fun to him, while Spike and Big Mac are passive fun, preferring a board game, and imagination as fun, and given Equestria does not have video games, these two styles sometimes compete. Our main cast, quarrel over their ideas of fun, until Discord tries the game, and is bored, which does happen in real life, which is why I prefer Japanese RPGs, they combine action and imagination, whether it is a board game or video game, Japanese games are exciting for me. So to spice it up, Discord transports them into the game, as Spike and Big Mac use their knowledge of the game to advance, until finally Discord comes to his senses, to realise that Spike and Big Mac were trying to be friendly with him, and comes to appreciate the game, along with Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash, after they arrive from their expedition. A fine episode, but Gravity Falls did this better, it was funny and smart, as Grunkle Stan learns that Dipper and Ford were more than just geeks, Dungeons and Discords on the other hand, takes its geekiness and wears it as a badge of honour, although it's okay, but life is more than just indoor fun, at times I can be like Discord, and want to go out into the action, moreover, what counts if you enjoy what you do with friends, and the moment you all decide what to do, that is what really counts.

Something I noticed: in the promo of the second part of the season, there was a snippet from a future episode where Twilight and co. were in winter clothing in a snowy landscape, and if I remember right she was opening a gate of some sort.

If this means there will be a Yakyakistan episode, then I wonder when it will air? None of the episodes revealed so far seem to take place in there, at least judging ny their names and synopses.

That scene was at the end of this episode when the Mane 6 return from their mission and open the castle door to find the three guys still involved in their reality-based RPG.

Fun episode, clever dialogue and some very well written scenes. There were a few awkward moments or moments that were a little too stretched out, but overall it was very entertaining. I really have to compliment how Nick wrote Spike and Discord, he both really made them shine in this episode. 

Also, special mention to John DeLancie and Cathy Weseluck. They both really sold this episode, I think they had one of their best performances in this series so far. Their line delivery was simply perfection.

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 2

hey everybody it's the WubBeast and I'm a little late to the party so how did everybody like this Discord episode I like the interaction between Big Mac and Spike with the role playing game and seeing a new side and perspective of Discord and the Dungeon & Dragons parody game was awesome especially when Discord made it real and when Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash join the game at the end

That scene was at the end of this episode when the Mane 6 return from their mission and open the castle door to find the three guys still involved in their reality-based RPG.

Yup, I missed the ending when watching for the first time (thanks, router) so I didn't realize that.

Still, a Yakyakistan episode would've been nice for worldbuilding reasons and because - unlike many others - I found yaks to be quite funny.

• Brohoof 1

Ahhhhhhhh!  Finally a Discord fix!  I have to admit I've never taken part in a role-playing game, but I've seen what happens to those who do...

I was sorta hoping Big Mac would be a princess, but he did have some cool armor.  I loved him checking out the babe at the club.

LOVED opposite Fluttershy.

Spike, as usual, was more grounded and out front than everyone. 

Discord's long, flowing locks were quite appealing. 

E-yup, That was a good one!  (And delightfully Starlight-free. :D)

Edited by Foliha

Personally, I thought this episode was phenomenal in a lot of ways.
Story time!

One of the first games I DM'd for was actually very much like this. I had a group of about 5 people, and one friend of mine who wasn't in the party wanted to join to see what it was like. So naturally, we rolled him up a character. He wanted to be a mage, and in his head, he thought he could just steamroll everything with his magic.
The game ended up turning into a bizarre squabble between he and the rest of the party, teaming up with the peasants he was attacking for no apparent reason. Unfortunately, regardless of the fact that everyone attempted to explain why what he was doing wasn't going to work for him, he ended up rage quitting. xD

My campaign is still running, after 4 years.

As for this episode...
Fluttershy's sass in the beginning was adorable. She's finally got a bit of attitude, which I think is awesome. After all the character building episodes for her, it's about time it showed I think.
Discord, although his demeanour seems clingy and pouty at the thought of hanging with Big Mac and Spike, he isn't out of character really. He's always got some sort of issue doing things out of his own zone of comfort, which is somewhat ironic for the lord of chaos. This attitude is shown in more than one episode, so it makes sense for him.

Over all, I loved the episode though. Being a role player myself, I relate a lot with this one. The moment Discord takes over as DM is the best. xD
Also I love how Pinkie mentions the yeti. She's likely the only pony in Equestria who would know that thing exists.

• Brohoof 2

I quite enjoyed this episode. Discord episodes post-reformation have been particularly mediocre. It came to the point to where I stopped looking forward to Discord appearances. But I'm glad to say "Dungeons & Discords" marks a return to form. The jokes had me laughing throughout, probably the most I've laughed during an episode since "Spike at Your Service".

The concept of a "guy's night out" was long over-do. Spike, Big Mac, and Discord all have strong performances, and while the pacing sort of falls off the track during the latter half of the episode, overall it was a fun experience. Chalk it up as one of Season 6's best episodes, and perhaps the best Discord-centered episode post-reformation

Edited by Rivendare

Yo! That was awesome! I'm telling Discord's getting some nice development. Can't always assume what you think when you hear a "night out". Plus you can't be a jerk about when you don't get what you want during the event. All in all, excellent episode!

Edited by C. Thunder Dash

All right, that was awesome! Not quite the high that the Changeling episode was, but this was MORE than a solid ep in many ways. Spike was easily the standout and Discord was actually funny without being annoying. It was also nice to see Big Mac in such a setting, and that little dance between him and Spike was adorable. <3

• Brohoof 1

I'm glad Spike and Big Mac finally got their episode together and the way the plot progressed for them was pretty close to how I imagined it playing out.

Discord was, surprisingly, the weak point of the episode for me and sucked a lot of the pace and energy out of it in the first two acts. Instead of being unpredictably zany and laying down the law with pop culture references and high-energy one-liners, here he is instead being an obnoxious and insufferable douchebag and telling us how much of a douchebag he is.

I found the first couple of acts of this episode to be Discord's weakest performance of the show purely because he does nothing but talk down to Spike and Big Mac. When he's playing off of the Mane 6, he's at least playing on their level and playing off of their strengths and personalities. Here, he's doing nothing but whining and griping about how he's better than everyone else, as if the ball is in his court and he just keeps intentionally hitting it into the net. Even the spur-of-the-moment visual gags can't shine up a third wheel. Granted, the part where he makes the game real does redeem him a bit, and maybe the moral was alright. But if Discord was in it just for these scenes, his presence felt more like a plot device than a true character moment. Fittingly, it's a similar complaint to what some Star Trek fans have toward Q in some of his later TNG appearances.

The episode was really entertaining solely from Spike and Big Mac's perspective, and I'm glad they finally got this highly-requested co-starring role, but the Discord subplot would have best been reserved for another episode. The writers should have taken this as more of a chance to show that Spike and Big Mac, two supporting characters that rarely carry an episode on their own, can actually do so for once. I'm fine with Discord stealing the show every once in a while. This was just the most inopportune time.

Can we just make Nick Confalone the story editor instead of Haber? He's one of the best comedic writers the show's ever had. Almost every line of dialogue in this episode was funny. 

O god you go to BT? hahahahah as do I, I go by a different name there though. If you've seen my post here though it should be pretty obvious who I am there though. 

Actually I thought Mike Vogel would make a good story editor! I mean all his episodes are awesome, and he made awesome stories for other writers to write! He knows the characters well, and he knows how to put the show on the right path! If Haber isn't interested in being story editor anymore, have Vogel take over!

• Brohoof 1

This may eclipse Twilight's Kingdom as the best episode to feature Reformed!Discord.

1. Comedy is really, really good. Even if you don't understand the references, his pop culture antics fit the scope of the story. Flutterbitch makes sense. The short rowdy places was hilarious. The Celesticord face will give me nightmares for the next 30 minutes.
  2. Spike continues his awesomeness this season. Funny, competent, not treated as a joke, and somewhat adorkable.
  3. Ending of Dash and Pinkie choosing to get involved in the Guys' Night roleplay iced the cake.
  4. Pacing slowed during the middle, but it was balanced out pretty nicely by the rest, including Discord realizing the errors of his ways.

It doesn't beat GoF, Times, Tail, OYM, or Saddle, but so far, it keeps up the trend from last week's episode. Hopefully, more good quality comes forth later this season.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 8