What did you think of the episode?  

179 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• I roll a NO! >:(
    • That roll...wasn't good.
    • Average roll, average damage.
    • Decent roll; could've been better.
    • AWESOME ROLL, AWESOME WIN!!!

Bout time. Given how stressful things have been for us lately, I needed that episode. Aside from my gamer core being ecstatic at FINALLY seeing this, Discord was extremely entertaining.

I kinda thought the near-ending was a little funky, though. I mean, Spike calling Discord weird? Bruh. Not gonna mention the whole "fantasy nerd" business (cuz that's a whole discussion all on its own), but he is a god of chaos; I think weird comes with the territory.

But whatever. I enjoyed myself. That's the important thing.

Well I suppose an ep does need a conflict, so I can't just get 20 minutes of game. Oh well. That's what Geek & Sundry is for! But regardless, I had fun with this!
+++ Huuuuge bias for my old pass-time! Even got some LARPing in at the end!
++ Got a kick out of RD and Pinkie being totally on board!
++ I want John de Lancie as my DM!
+ 20 sided dice? Good! Lvl 30 though? Looks like somepony in the office prefers epic levels.
+ Good to see Discord actually making more friends.
- I want moar gaaaaame! Like I knew what I was getting into with Discord being uncooperative because srsly, what else was gunna happen. But I'm a nerd! I always want moar game!

So yeah, still had fun! I give this ep an IWannaCastMaaaagicMiiissile/10! Or maybe a FiveGoldAndAParty/10?

• Brohoof 2

Another great Discord episode. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved the comedy  in it, suited the episode greatly...I liked the overall theme of the episode as well..Though, "guys night" with me tends to be video games or night rides on bicycles....booze optional.

Loved the bit with Fluttershy in the beginning...the face she made...lol. Then there was Oppositeshy, I guess you could call her...was kinda surprised about that, seeing her flip out on Discord...again... :awuh:

Amongst one of my faves of Season 6 so far... :squee:

Edited by Flutter Baby <3

sig-4650467.sig-4650467.dungeons_and_pon

We seriously need a sequel to this episode in which Celestia and Luna join the fun, that's the only way they could possibly top this one!

Alrighty, alrighty, alrighty, good afternoon everypony, and welcome back to another edition of "Batbrony Reviews"!  Sorry about being late to getting to this review, just been busy with some things since the episode.  Thankfully, this morning's episode is not one which requires a massive review, namely because (1) it was so good, and (2) one need not thoroughly detail every which way in which it was good.  Without further ado, let's begin, this is "Dungeons and Discord."

Me after this episode:

sig-4650467.sig-4650467.CDk6vJ4VEAAUWEz.

"Was it good for you too?"

So before this episode debuted, if you had asked me what I thought was the funniest episode of the season so far, I would have said without a doubt "Saddle Row Review."  That has since changed.  Oh my goodness, has it ever.  "Dungeons and Discord" is easily not just the funniest episode of Season 6 so far, but also one of the funniest episodes of the show ever, made all the more impressive by the fact that it was carried entirely by secondary characters, the closest to a main character being Spike.  Honestly, I can't possibly cover every which way in which it was funny, simply because that would be an impossible task.  It's a fantastic example of what can be done when (1) the writers are on their A-game, (2) you have a great combination of characters for an episode's purposes, and (3) you have some phenomenal voice actors who simply OWN their roles at this point.  The writing, oh goodness, from a comedic stand point it was top notch in every single way.  "Saddle Row Review" might be more impressive in its structure, but "Dungeons and Discord" is more impressive in the stunning variety of ways in which it was funny.  You had Discord bits, you had Spike bits, you had D&D bits (or should I say, O&O bits), you had Big Mac bits, you had Mane 6 bits, and best of all, tons and tons and TONS of humor referring to the wider world of Equestria, something we're seeing more and more in Discord episodes.  From the opening scene, I could tell this was going to be a treat for a couple of reasons.  First, John de Lancie was clearly on his A-game here, even in the opener.  It's easy to forget that this guy is a world class actor in general, not just a great voice actor, but performances like this remind you of just that.  He was given some great material to work with and he owned it every single step of the way.  On top of that, the fact that they were willing to go with a joke as crazy as the Opposite Equestria one told me that this was going to be a visually stunning episode, and it most certainly was, there were a RIDICULOUS number of different settings for a 22 minute episode which only helped to enhance the insanity of everything going on.

sig-4650467.sig-4650467.1233407__safe_fl

Between this and Celestia-mane cat, I'm not sure which is more terrifying, though I have no doubt they'll both be showing up in my nightmares soon enough...

sig-4650467.sig-4650467.1234921__safe_fl

I must say, however, that I simply cannot get enough of sassy Fluttershy and her no-nonsense attitude with Discord

sig-4650467.sig-4650467.1235152__safe_so

I have a theory that AJ is intentionally going out of her way to look as basic as possible because if she didn't, she knows she'd actually be the most attractive pony of the Mane 6!  I mean, look at what happened to Trender Hooves, and she wasn't even trying to look good then!  ^_^ 

Besides that, it was just fun.  The lesson was nice enough, and it was nice to see that Discord still has plenty of problems (namely his ego and unwillingness to reach out to others besides Fluttershy and some of her friends), but really, this episode just wanted to cut loose and have a TON of fun.  When it comes to Discord, you have to strike a fine balance between his penchant for doing whatever he wants and whatever lesson he's supposed to learn.  This episode struck the balance perfectly.  It was amusing seeing a game of all things confounding the Lord of Chaos, both its rules and the nature of using one's imagination to bring it to life, not to mention the fact that we learned that Discord has a very limited idea of what it means to spend a night on the town or having fun with the guys (which made for some excellent adult humor as well, such as his list of the rowdiest establishments in Ponyville).  It's easy to forget that not only is friendship new for Discord, but his very perspective of the world is different from any other character's considering he can do things that no one else can.  Living your whole life like that, it's not surprising he's developed such an ego about himself.

sig-4650467.sig-4650467.large.png

Come on, ya'll know you want to see this quest as much as I do  :orly: 

But like I said, overall, this episode was a love letter to two things, (1) D&D, and (2) the idea that the show can sometimes just sit back, relax, and have a downright fun episode without a very serious lesson.  In fact, I have literally only one complaint, and it is a super, super tiny one.  RD and Pinkie's joining the fun at the end, while harmless enough (and their costumes were pretty awesome) seemed a bit forced, just a tad.  I hate to say this, but it almost felt like the writers were VERY quickly trying to hammer in the idea that just because it was a "guy's night" doesn't mean the girls couldn't participate.  Look, I know the nature of the show (or at least a big part of it) is to show that there is no single way to define what girls do, but when the show is at its best at doing that, it's when it's not being clumsy about it.  Rarity is just great at fashion because that's what she loves, just like RD is great at sports because that's what she loves.  This though, it actually felt in a very minor way like the writers were afraid that if they didn't let the girls (or at least some of them) participate in the O&O fun, then they'd be telling people that D&D is just for guys.  Again, it's a super minor complaint because it happened for about 2 seconds, but all the same, I just have to say that they never should have worried about that in the first place.  Firstly, it was nice actually seeing a guy-centric episode, especially centered around secondary characters, for a change, and definitely helped the episode stand out.  Secondly, it just felt unnecessary.  Guys have guy nights sometimes no different than girls have girl nights sometimes; you're not sexist if you enjoy doing something like that, that's just the nature of some get-togethers.  So like I said, minor complaint, but most of all I just don't think the writers should have worried about it at all; they saw a problem where none existed and through in something really quick to fix a non-existent problem.  It would have been neat to see Pinkie and RD in the whole episode, sure, but when they showed up at the last second like that just for what essentially was a promo-shot, it came off as forced.

sig-4650467.sig-4650467.large.jpeg

sig-4650467.sig-4650467.1234897__safe_sc

All in all, however, as a comedic episode, this episode was perfection.  Great writing, great voice acting, and stunning animation all came together for one of the greatest comedic episodes the show has ever had.  I for one can't wait to rewatch it and laugh twice as hard the second time.  That's all I've got for you, everypony, this week, until next time this is Batbrony signing off.  I'm off! *cue dramatic exit*

sig-4650467.sig-4650467.large.jpeg

Can we seriously get more of this trio?  Please?  Also, that's THREE great episodes for Spike this season, HOLY CHEESE!!!

• Brohoof 7

"June, honey, be a dear. Reschedule Luna and K.K. That's what I call Princess Celestia!"

I think there was a typo there in the script. I think Discord might've been talking about Cadance instead of Celestia. K.K. sounds like a nickname for Cadance. Also isn't Celestia with the Mane Six during this episode during the trip?

• Brohoof 2

"June, honey, be a dear. Reschedule Luna and K.K. That's what I call Princess Celestia!"

I think there was a typo there in the script. I think Discord might've been talking about Cadance instead of Celestia. K.K. sounds like a nickname for Cadance. Also isn't Celestia with the Mane Six during this episode during the trip?

Pretty sure he wasn't being serious about a meeting with Celestia.  It was just the classic, "Oh, I suppose I can make room for you in my busy schedule when actually I have nothing on my schedule and I'm just trying to save face in front of you" bit, Discord-style.  Also, no idea where the K.K. nickname comes from, but I don't think it's supposed to make sense, this is Discord after all.

• Brohoof 2

Pretty sure he wasn't being serious about a meeting with Celestia.  It was just the classic, "Oh, I suppose I can make room for you in my busy schedule when actually I have nothing on my schedule and I'm just trying to save face in front of you" bit, Discord-style.  Also, no idea where the K.K. nickname comes from, but I don't think it's supposed to make sense, this is Discord after all.

Unless he refers to her supposed love for cake :dash:. you know "K.K." and "cake cake" sound alike

Oh, and Chiquita Banana is the name of the hot mare Discord was ogling :bedeyes:

71360976.jpg

Unless there are some already    :orly:

Edited by Steve Piranha

This episode was amazing. Watching the interaction between Fluttershy and Discord before and after the intro was hilarious. I especially loved the alternate opposite dimension and how they would act. Seeing the interaction between Spike, Big Mac and Discord was really enjoyable and well done as well, in my opinion. Even though I didn't get some of the references, they were still funny and enjoyable to watch. I especially loved the charades and Celestia's tail cat during that segment. Seeing the DnD game felt nostalgic and it reminded me when I used to play a bit of it back in high school. I liked how Discord wanted to do other activities instead of playing the game with Spike and Big Mac. I also like the moral in the end about giving something a chance and I really liked the game coming to life aspect. I also loved how Pinkie and Rainbow wanted to join in on the fun and got to dress up in different classes as well. All in all I really loved this episode and I hope there can be another episode involving these three again. :)

I liked that it started with Fluttershy and those new expressions she made, I've never seen them from her but I adored them, like this one and all around

post-37448-0-25750300-1472331477_thumb.jpg

(The first part was funny and all, I think Nick Confalone is from my preferred of the current writers although how good the ep depends also on the synopsis)

Fluttershy's inverted colors scheme was also funny, and I forgot how nice it is to see Discord-Trollestia and all the trolling he's doing, also frying Spike's and BigMac's butts in the real game. Personally I like the entering into the real game idea, it's something Ive thought and pretended too.,  it was a nice episode but why didn't the game chars become real creatures all along and not just cards? I suppose it was to show it is a game. I think based on the ep's title, entering a real castle Dungeons would've been awesome-er. I don't have more to say but it could've been better, I would still give it 5/5 as Discord's tricks made up for it. 

Yay saxophone playing background pony!

mlpsaxophone.jpg

When Discord was talking about the swinging guy's night out earlier in the episode I was like "A darn shame we won't get to see that.." and then they made it happen!

And we have our first wind playing background pony in ages! Also the first one in even longer that wasn't switched out because they were considered undesirable. (*coughRaritycough*)

Anyway, with that said... - and I have to make this quick because I have homework that I have been putting off way too long and might not have time to do tomorrow - I didn't really understand the guys vs girls thing in this episode. I'll be honest, it seemed rather random. Especially considering Spike - Spike isn't usually left behind in Twilight's adventures. Big Mac is 'left behind', but only as much as the rest of the Apple family...

I didn't much care for that and the labeling of the activities as guy's activities. I was relieved at the end of the episode when Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash joined in. The episode and that ending was definitely setting up to be all of the girls effectively rolling their eyes and leaving themselves out of the activity, since "only boys can understand it" but then Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash subverting that was nice. But that's all I can really give the episode.

• Brohoof 2

I'm okay with this, mostly because I appreciate a good troll every so often. It's aggravating, but it's also funny to me that I get mad about a show about pastel-colored ponies.

Trolling, eh? See, filling the rage bar is kinda my thing. Helps me burn excessive calories I get from consuming lots of French cheese and salami. I highly doubt many others had a similar reaction. Now that’s some poor quality trolling.

For the next guys' night, Discord should suggest a game of Mario Party.

That'd be a good way to spread chaos. 

Dude, that's just monsterous.

Knowing Equestria, this game is probably banned. XD

I will say there are some things I really liked in this episode, and this was one of them:

sig-4650537.9BreZfbu.gif

Legit had me laughing that one.

tumblr_neqgnszMug1sm2z96o1_400.gif

Do you smell what the shy is cookin?

• Brohoof 6

Dude, that's just monsterous.

Knowing Equestria, this game is probably banned. XD

Do you smell what the shy is cookin?

Me and someone else on Skype was discussing this very thing, we were calling her 'the Flock'. XD

• Brohoof 3

For me, this was one of the funniest episodes in the show. I laughed throughout it and never got tired of Discord's antics. There was just so much humour and such a rich variety of it!

When watching this for the first time, the pacing felt weird, but that was only because I expected the episode to focus on the boardgame more and though that the "setup" for the game was lengthy. My expectations were based on other shows that use the D&D parody trope. This episode decided to focus on the conflict between Discord and Spike instead and ended up being more entertaining and fresh. The "setup" was the main part of the episode. When you realize that, the pacing is actually alright.

I also think that RD and Pinkie joining at the end felt... odd. Why did that happen? Was it indeed just writers saying "yeah girls can do this too"? I don't know. At least Twilight's disturbed and mildly shocked reaction to the LARP was hilarious, so the ending didn't fall flat for me.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure that Discord wanting to paint the whole town red was a PONY.MOV reference.

I don't know how I should feel about that.

Edited by Professional Horse

Just watched the episode and I have to say, it was EPIC!

I was never a fan of Dungeons and Dragons, but when ponies are involved... :D

I really liked the opposite Discord and Fluttershy, that just made me  chuckle as well. XD

I thought this episode was okay.

There was nothing that was too memorable to me as far as the jokes and references go and IMO I've found Discord to be getting more and more boring as the seasons go on.

(I've really only found him entertaining in Return of Harmony Parts 1&2, personally)

However, I did enjoy the fact that they gave Big Mac a bit more character growth beyond just saying "Yup" & "Nope" by having him have a "Guys Night" playing the game with Spike while the girls were away. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 3