Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Is Pokemon Go dying?

CastletonSnob

Pretty much, yes, though to a lesser extent. Sure it may still be popular, but when you venture in the outside world, this is where dangers can become real with no chance of a restart and the game over is permanent (video game reference, of course). Sure there's the use of common sense, but because of the recent rise in crime in the states makes playing Pokemon Go pretty unsafe, even in the safest neighborhoods, along with towns and cities. And not just that, but accidents as well. Honestly to me, I'd rather be safe right inside my home than going out to search for Pokemon on mobile, only to get caught in an accident, or even robbed and mugged at gunpoint in the process, and I'd pretty much value my personal safety more than playing the game.

Edited by Jon the Bronynerd

People say this about so many things. But from the perspective of someone who has actually never played Pokémon Go, but knows a LOT of people who do, it's not really dying out. It's Pokémon after all, so if anything it's got that going for it. Its popularity has already reached its maximum level, though.

Edited by Prospekt

Sure there's the use of common sense, but because of the recent rise in crime in the states makes playing Pokemon Go pretty unsafe, even in the safest neighborhoods, along with towns and cities. And not just that, but accidents as well. 

Crime in the US has actually been decreasing for the last few decades and is currently at record lows. It just happens to be reported more often than before. Michigan is the only exception. Also, vehicular accidents have been steadily dropping with better safety precautions and equipment. Drug-related deaths (mostly from overdosing) have been increasing, but that's about it. Even gun homicides have been cut down by almost two-fifths within three decades. 

Almost anything related to crime or accidents are at record lows. I don't really see what's the issue here, the U.S. has been faring much better than even a decade ago. 

There are unsafe places, but for the most part it's mostly the user's fault and not the game's, as Niantic has sent out plenty of warnings over playing the game. In fact most of the kneejerk reactions of "this game is dangerous!" have been dying down in the U.S. An overwhelming amount of stories that surround Pokemon GO have turned out to be hoaxes (and hilariously enough some were from satirical news sources and people just sourced them without reading). 

Pokemon GO needs some reworking though, since after I've played the game there are plenty of things that I don't like about it, especially with how ineffective type advantages actually are and certain Pokemon that are strong in the actual game being absolute trash in GO (though it may have to do with how the Speed stat does not modify much in game, greatly reducing the sweeping ability of certain Pokemon). 

• Brohoof 1

Niantic might be able to make up for the lack of depth that's currently in the game. It's a major deal breaker that they dumbed down the combat system which is pretty much one of (if not the) only thing(s) that makes Pokémon actually interesting.

Crime in the US has actually been decreasing for the last few decades and is currently at record lows. It just happens to be reported more often than before. Michigan is the only exception. Also, vehicular accidents have been steadily dropping with better safety precautions and equipment. Drug-related deaths (mostly from overdosing) have been increasing, but that's about it. Even gun homicides have been cut down by almost two-fifths within three decades. 

Almost anything related to crime or accidents are at record lows. I don't really see what's the issue here, the U.S. has been faring much better than even a decade ago. 

There are unsafe places, but for the most part it's mostly the user's fault and not the game's, as Niantic has sent out plenty of warnings over playing the game. In fact most of the kneejerk reactions of "this game is dangerous!" have been dying down in the U.S. An overwhelming amount of stories that surround Pokemon GO have turned out to be hoaxes (and hilariously enough some were from satirical news sources and people just sourced them without reading). 

Pokemon GO needs some reworking though, since after I've played the game there are plenty of things that I don't like about it, especially with how ineffective type advantages actually are and certain Pokemon that are strong in the actual game being absolute trash in GO (though it may have to do with how the Speed stat does not modify much in game, greatly reducing the sweeping ability of certain Pokemon). 

Well, tell that to the recent event that happened in San Francisco.

Well, tell that to the recent event that happened in San Francisco.

What event? There was one case where someone back in early August got shot on the Wharf. Other than that news over Pokemon GO have been rather quiet, though Taiwan has an issue with Pokemon GO players completely blocking off roads and seriously affecting traffic.

Niantic might be able to make up for the lack of depth that's currently in the game. It's a major deal breaker that they dumbed down the combat system which is pretty much one of (if not the) only thing(s) that makes Pokémon actually interesting.

I have no issue with the real time system they have, but there are certain stats that don't transfer very well into the game. Trainer Tips suggested the Speed stat modify attack speed, dodge time, and recharge time; that one change would help Pokemon that are supposed to be strong in-game because of their sweeping ability to be stronger in GO, like Gengar, Alakazam, and Jolteon (and it would nerf Pokemon like Snorlax which are meant to be walls, not sweepers). Super effective moves also need to do more damage as well.

It would be nice if they added Abilities into the game but right now they should focus on balancing and cleaning things up. Thankfully Niantic has been more responsive to public opinion; some weeks ago they added the IV system, though it's still not fully fleshed.

What people say: "Pokémon Go is dying."

What I hear: "Wah, I'm an entitled brat who deserves more from a free game that is being constantly updated and improved, and has literally changed the public's perception of AR."

I have no issue with the real time system they have, but there are certain stats that don't transfer very well into the game. Trainer Tips suggested the Speed stat modify attack speed, dodge time, and recharge time; that one change would help Pokemon that are supposed to be strong in-game because of their sweeping ability to be stronger in GO, like Gengar, Alakazam, and Jolteon (and it would nerf Pokemon like Snorlax which are meant to be walls, not sweepers). Super effective moves also need to do more damage as well.

It would be nice if they added Abilities into the game but right now they should focus on balancing and cleaning things up. Thankfully Niantic has been more responsive to public opinion; some weeks ago they added the IV system, though it's still not fully fleshed.

Pokémon is the only game where I enjoy turn-based combat and taking that strategic element away along with leaving movesets and strength of a Pokémon completely to randomization and making it a huge grind, the game gets boring really quickly. That is leaving aside the huge issues with bots, cheaters and bugs. I'm not going to complain about the game pretty much forcing you to spend money on it, because it's a free game and I'm well aware of the fact that they will make so much more money by using IAP in a F2P game than making the game paid in the first place.

Pokémon is the only game where I enjoy turn-based combat and taking that strategic element away along with leaving movesets and strength of a Pokémon completely to randomization and making it a huge grind, the game gets boring really quickly. That is leaving aside the huge issues with bots, cheaters and bugs. I'm not going to complain about the game pretty much forcing you to spend money on it, because it's a free game and I'm well aware of the fact that they will make so much more money by using IAP in a F2P game than making the game paid in the first place.

You don't need to spend any money on it and Pokemon GO is far from "pay to win". Pokecoins cost money but it's easily obtainable by defeating gyms and collecting your reward from it daily, and Pokecoins only buy you more Pokeballs, Incenses, Lure Modules, and Lucky Eggs, along with storage upgrades (which you really won't need). Pokeballs are easily obtainable through a bit of Pokestop collecting, you can't buy Great Balls or Ultra Balls, Lure Modules can be used universally and encourages people to team up to get max effectiveness out of it, and Incenses are hardly as good at Lure Modules to give any significant advantage. 

Ironically enough when Niantic has decided to spend some time to actively punish cheaters fans get angry about it. Just because famous YouTubers are cheating at the game doesn't mean it's right. If they get banned they deserve to get banned. There are issues with people being banning for "being too good" but I highly doubt these stories and I'm glad some cheaters are getting what's coming to them. 

Pokemon Go is by no means dying, but it may just not be as popular as when it had first launched. The game hit it's big moment around the first time it launched, but now it's been played before. That said though, I'd still say the game is incredibly popular!

You don't need to spend any money on it and Pokemon GO is far from "pay to win". Pokecoins cost money but it's easily obtainable by defeating gyms and collecting your reward from it daily, and Pokecoins only buy you more Pokeballs, Incenses, Lure Modules, and Lucky Eggs, along with storage upgrades (which you really won't need). Pokeballs are easily obtainable through a bit of Pokestop collecting, you can't buy Great Balls or Ultra Balls, Lure Modules can be used universally and encourages people to team up to get max effectiveness out of it, and Incenses are hardly as good at Lure Modules to give any significant advantage. 

Ironically enough when Niantic has decided to spend some time to actively punish cheaters fans get angry about it. Just because famous YouTubers are cheating at the game doesn't mean it's right. If they get banned they deserve to get banned. There are issues with people being banning for "being too good" but I highly doubt these stories and I'm glad some cheaters are getting what's coming to them. 

You still progress rather slowly without investing money or a ridiculous amount of time into the game, the way it always is with F2P games, whether you want to call that P2W or not. I'll have to admit, it isn't as bad as most other F2P/P2W games and I didn't even mind spending money on the game since I had a lot of fun playing the game the first couple of weeks.

It's funny how many false positives have been there, according to complaints of people claiming to having played legitimately. Meanwhile, my Level 32 purely GPS Fake, Botting and Sniping account has survived the ban wave. Seems like they did a great job xD

You still progress rather slowly without investing money or a ridiculous amount of time into the game, the way it always is with F2P games, whether you want to call that P2W or not. I'll have to admit, it isn't as bad as most other F2P/P2W games and I didn't even mind spending money on the game since I had a lot of fun playing the game the first couple of weeks.

It's funny how many false positives have been there, according to complaints of people claiming to having played legitimately. Meanwhile, my Level 32 purely GPS Fake, Botting and Sniping account has survived the ban wave. Seems like they did a great job xD

That's just a small mess-up, most of these accounts have been restored and unbanned later. There has been a reduction in cheaters however, though you might not notice it. The Pokemon Company US and Europe went pretty hard to file a lot of cease and desists on botting and hacking sites. There are still some around there that have tried to play more careful to bypass perma-bans (just make your Trainer walk slower...) but thankfully most cheaters are pretty stupid and make it too obvious. Yeah, streaming it on Twitch or posting it on YouTube isn't a very good idea, either.

I'm Level 25 now anyway. Leveling gets harder when you're higher up but holding off evolutions and coordinating incubators and pair it up with a Lucky Egg and you can get lots of EXP quick. Pidgey is surprisingly valuable if you want to get EXP quick.