Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things People Believed In The 90's That Don't Hold Up Today

Denim&Venöm

It's still far safer than driving. How many planes crashed yesterday? This week? This month? How many roads are blocked up by car crashes today?

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/air-travel-safer-car-travel-1581.html

Even so, the aircraft we have today are safer thanks to technological advancements. You can't eliminate all accidents, but many that would have happened in the past don't happen today.

I'm talking about pre-terrorist attacks. Airport security was much more lax in the 90s. 

Also there was that Mayan doomsday prophecy of 2012 that complete idiots or misanthropes believed and were actually hoping for.

Aw, I was gonna do that one, dang it.

Video games are for kids: there are still people who believe this but with video games becoming more mainstream they are now starting to rival movies in terms of influence on popular culture. 

Ooh, that's a really good one.  I for one am extremely thankful that we have such mainstream gaming culture today that has all but quashed this old stereotype.  I think that part of the problem in the past was imagination, or rather, lack thereof on the part of the public.  What I mean is, when adults looked at Final Fantasy VI in the 90s, then couldn't see past the 16-bit sprites to appreciate the story and characters.  It wasn't until they saw things like The Last of Us that many people finally starting turning their heads and going, "Okay, I admit, that's really impressive and made for adults."  The other part of it was the advent of games accessible for all ages.  I really credit Nintendo and the Wii for this one.  I have to hand it to them--their plan was brilliant.  The Wii brought games to demographics that never would have considered them before.  Wii Sports alone drew in so many people who had never touched a game before in their lives, particularly older people.  My mother (60) was in this category.  Never even considered touching a game before, (even though games were ubiquitous in the household when my brother and I were growing up) but was immediately enthralled by the idea of Wii Sports.  She loved it.  She went on to get her feet wet with easy, simple titles like Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon, Disney Universe, and Epic Mickey.  She recently completed Skyrim with a level 150 character, and now she's in the middle of Final Fantasy VI for a blast from the past.  After that, she's got plans to get into Minecraft and Red Dead Redemption.  Sometimes it just takes the right catalyst in the right form at the right time for someone to see what they were missing all along.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 months later...

In the year 2000 is when it will be end of the world or at least the world will be reduced to a post apocalyptic world.

Computers are for nerds and stiffs.

Fat is the nutrient that makes people obese.

Edited by cider float

global warming and the resource wars

for the longest time everyone predicted that during the mid to late 00s oil would run out that that WW3 was a certainty by 2005 global warming would reach the point where the ice caps would be melted and polar bears would be extinct and half the globe would be under water and that by 2008 the ozone layer would be so thin places like Sydney and LA would be unprotected from UV radiation that you would die by basically being cooked by direct sunlight if you went out during the day

i really hate fear mongering i grew up watching things like falling down and predator and thinking "wow LA must be really hot during summer!" then i found out in LA the hottest it ever gets is 90 when in Australia some of our major cities reach over 104    

That all trucks are utilitarian use only and if you're going to enjoy the night-life you drive the sedan. Then Dodge released the Ram in the late 90's and in the words of Mr. Regular, "The age of the honest pick up truck is truly passed".

And ever since we've been porking about in over-compensation vehicles.

There was that whole different-parts-of-your-tongue-taste-different-things chart.  You know:  sweet was in the front, bitter in the back, sour and salty somewhere between them...science has since debunked that and showed that you have all kinds of taste buds, not only on your tongue, but all over the inside of your mouth.

But I remember being taught that taste-bud chart in school.

There was that whole different-parts-of-your-tongue-taste-different-things chart.  You know:  sweet was in the front, bitter in the back, sour and salty somewhere between them...science has since debunked that and showed that you have all kinds of taste buds, not only on your tongue, but all over the inside of your mouth.

But I remember being taught that taste-bud chart in school.

I actually remember a Simpsons episode that came out in 2004 (Smart and Smarter I think it was called), and it used that as a joke. I also remember our Year 6 (5th Grade for you Americans) teacher reading us a book for storytime concerning the main character's lack of taste buds, and literally the first paragraph debunks the sweet/sour/salty diagram. That was in 2012, so that means that scientific joss must've happened around 2004-2012.

That is unless The Simpsons is just unbareably behind the times nowadays. Can you believe they made a musical number about "swag" in a 2013 episode?

That is unless The Simpsons is just unbareably behind the times nowadays. Can you believe they made a musical number about "swag" in a 2013 episode?

They did predict Donald Trump becoming President, tho.

The Internet would never go through a bubble. 1999 was only the beginning of the future. 

I don't remember much of the 90's considering I was born in 1995, but I imagine some people thought the dot-com bubble was a thing that was near improbable to happen.

Only the richest people in the world would have access to the internet. There was also the stigma of the Y2K virus that would effectively shut down all computers because none of them supposedly couldn't register January 1, 2000 as an actual date. That one quickly became ridiculed when it obviously didn't happen along with those who believed it was going to be a thing.

• Brohoof 2

In terms of video games (sorry for going back to that, but it's rather interesting), Sega believed that continuously adding multiple peripherals onto the same console would make it last longer, when nowadays it would make it's outdatedness more apparent and, in most cases, sour it's legacy.

• Brohoof 2

There was still a large number of people, that believed that wrestling was real. Today, it has been so exposed to the public, that almost everybody knows that it's choreographed.

WWE doesn't even hide it anymore. If you watch something like the Stone Cold Podcast, which can even be found on WWE Network, they'll allow people to openly talk about scripts and whatever they want. By now, just about everyone knows it's fake, so there's no point in hiding it, and WWE knows that.

Sorry latecomer - the cellphone thing, the Myth Busters TV team did this for real and couldn't get a 'phone to ignite gas at a filling station, and then not even in a specially constructed perspex box full of gasoline vapour and air. It had to be an actual spark and even then it wasn't easy to set it off.

• Brohoof 1

Sorry latecomer - the cellphone thing, the Myth Busters TV team did this for real and couldn't get a 'phone to ignite gas at a filling station, and then not even in a specially constructed perspex box full of gasoline vapour and air. It had to be an actual spark and even then it wasn't easy to set it off.

Was that recent? I may see if that episode I can get it on demand.

By the time we hit 2015, everyone will have hoverboards and self-tying shoes and hovercars. Welp, it's 2016. Where's our hovering vehicles?

Also, some people said that all Americans will have personal helicopters by the year 2000. To this day, only very rich or important people have private helicopters.

People only said that stuff because of back to the future.

WWE doesn't even hide it anymore. If you watch something like the Stone Cold Podcast, which can even be found on WWE Network, they'll allow people to openly talk about scripts and whatever they want. By now, just about everyone knows it's fake, so there's no point in hiding it, and WWE knows that.

The same could be said for any and all media that requires a script. Doesn't alleviate the responsibility to make a product seem real and authentic.

And WWE have failed at that through very convoluted writing, and being so rigid w/ scripting that none of the performers sound or act authentic.  

• Brohoof 1