Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Justice for someone who is bad?

Miss

Does it make sense to try and get justice for someone who is a bad person?

Answer in a sense of morality and then answer in a sense of legality

edit:Answer this question from your own moral beliefs and from your own ideals. Obviously things are always going to depend on the person. Think about what you see as bad and answer from your own opinion

Edited by Misscellanio

Morally speaking, Bad people, or at least what constitutes "Bad People" Based on your country's social norms,  should rightfully be punished for their actions. 

Legally speaking, It would depend on whether the Bad person committed any acts that go against the laws of your country I feel it would be just for someone to be tried for said acts. 

Who is to be appointed as judge to declare if someone deserves justice?

Morally speaking, Bad people, or at least what constitutes "Bad People" Based on your country's social norms,  should rightfully be punished for their actions. 

Legally speaking, It would depend on whether the Bad person committed any acts that go against the laws of your country I feel it would be just for someone to be tried for said acts. 

Define bad.  And what constitutes as justice?  Both vary by the region and time.

Answer this question from your own moral beliefs and from your own ideals. Obviously things are always going to depend on the person. Think about what you see as bad and answer from your own opinion

Answer this question from your own moral beliefs and from your own ideals. Obviously things are always going to depend on the person. Think about what you see as bad and answer from your own opinion

I did,

Hence why I stated,

should rightfully be punished for their actions. 

I feel it would be just for someone to be tried for said acts. 

Those were my opinions o_o

Laws are there for a reason and anyone breaking said rules should be held responsible for their acts. additionally, it would also be right to seek justice for any person who is morally bad yet is not criminally liable under the legal system, That's when we can sue...

• Brohoof 1

I did,

Hence why I stated,

should rightfully be punished for their actions. 

I feel it would be just for someone to be tried for said acts. 

Those were my opinions o_o

Laws are there for a reason and anyone breaking said rules should be held responsible for their acts. additionally, it would also be right to seek justice for any person who is morally bad yet is not criminally liable under the legal system, That's when we can sue...

Ah alright just making sure

If we define justice merely in terms of who deserves it because they are a good or bad person we run into a dangerous precedent, sometimes the right thing to do will unfortunately include doing the right thing to a person who is not a good person. This is important both morally and legally both because someone may in fact not be a good or a bad person but simply seen as one and it is necessary to have equal treatment under the law. 

• Brohoof 2

If we define justice merely in terms of who deserves it because they are a good or bad person we run into a dangerous precedent, sometimes the right thing to do will unfortunately include doing the right thing to a person who is not a good person. This is important both morally and legally both because someone may in fact not be a good or a bad person but simply seen as one and it is necessary to have equal treatment under the law. 

this is a pretty great point

I believe good and evil are only in the eyes of the beholder. You always judge other people based on your own biases and values, so it's a difficult question to answer.

If i had to answer from a moral point of view, then morality is subjective in my opinion, therefore whatever brand of justice you dish out has to be acceptable by the society. It may not be perfect, but society needs to learn and grow from experience, mistakes included. It's okay to seek justice as long as your grasp of justice is evolving with the ideas of the people seeking it.

From a legal point of view - as long as nobody will hold you accountable for your actions you're basically a winner. It's the failure of the system if legal justice is lacking. It must have a mechanism for self evaluation and refinement.

I believe good and evil are only in the eyes of the beholder. You always judge other people based on your own biases and values, so it's a difficult question to answer.

If i had to answer from a moral point of view, then morality is subjective in my opinion, therefore whatever brand of justice you dish out has to be acceptable by the society. It may not be perfect, but society needs to learn and grow from experience, mistakes included. It's okay to seek justice as long as your grasp of justice is evolving with the ideas of the people seeking it.

From a legal point of view - as long as nobody will hold you accountable for your actions you're basically a winner. It's the failure of the system if legal justice is lacking. It must have a mechanism for self evaluation and refinement.

Like i said in the description it's always going to depend so answer from your own opinions

When I saw this thread, I immediately thought about Brock Turner.
As an American, I believe in the right to a fair trial. To me, that means being able to prove you are innocent, if you are, indeed, innocent. Sometimes, people are wrongly accused. That's why I agree that everyone should have access to a lawyer or an attorney, whether everyone thinks they are a bad person, or not.

But what is a bad person? Really, that differs from culture to culture. To me, a bad person is one who commits a crime while also intentionally harming another person. I also believe that you need evidence before determining if a person is bad or not, and I believe evidence is needed before delivering punishment.
In the case of Brock Turner, the evidence was there. To me, he is a disgusting person. He deserved having an attorney, though.

Do I think that it's complete crap that his attorney actually talked the judge down from a 10-year sentence to a 6-month sentence? Yes, and as stupid as that is, I place most of the blame on the judge, not the attorney.

I guess, in short, I believe that evidence says everything that needs to be said. Everyone deserves fair trial and access to an attorney, because I feel like common, everyday people are likely to lack the communication skills and courthouse know-how to effectively defend themselves in court. But laws are laws, and judges should be doing their jobs to uphold those laws.

Edit: I completely misread the OP, and I might still be. I think when looking at a case, it's best to look only at the relevant information. Unless the victim's past criminal activity directly affects the situation at hand, it should be left out. Biases should be left out of the courtroom.

Edited by Pepper Mint

Justice is to prevent crime, not punish, people who believe its for the sake of punishing alone are crazy and immoral people wouldn't mind some people getting tortured if they did wrong. Fact is doing that just does re-enable those criminals to be criminals still, however it could prevent new criminals from forming, no one wants to go to jail. It'd be better to educate them as educated people commit less crime.

• 2 weeks later...

Going by the unwritten laws of common sense, it's fairly clear how to define good or bad in general. Personally, I don't think any human being has the wisdom to judge another. Each person lives their life and learns from it as they go. The only time it becomes necessary to enact the law to dispense 'justice' is when someone becomes a threat to others. If they're a threat, it's no longer a matter of judging someone good or bad, but protecting the innocent. 

Justice is not a word that means 'giving a break to the bad guy.' It means giving what is right and just, whether that's punishment or reward. But again, no human has the wisdom to pass infallible judgement on another, so the question really should be "What is justice?" 

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like justice itself is a stupid virtue.

Allocation of guilt is my primary argument for this. Here in the west, at least, we like to make sure that everyone is given an equal chance at life; which is impossible, but it's definitely our goal. Some people are born more fortunately than others, sometimes for reasons out of their caretaker's control, such as any kind of disability. 

The association fallacy appears to apply to more than what appears at face value. Should an individual be held responsible for actions they committed, when they were raised in a broken home with abusive parents, constant financial struggle, and educational inhibition? And sure, there are plenty of people that make bad decisions when they had at least a reasonable upbringing, so are they guilty?

My personal answer is neither. People should be held responsible for their actions, but justice is never the solution. "An eye for an eye will make the world go blind."

Primary focus is always, ALWAYS, rehabilitation. Retribution is despicable and completely unwarranted in an advanced society as ours.

Unless you're clinically psychopathic, you should be given as many chances as you need.

I have no moral beliefs. It's yet again, a contraption of thoughts.

There's no good nor bad. Things simply are, and they have a reason to be, beyond of our perception thereof.

What does it mean to imply the notion of "bad" but a lack of identifcation towards those aspects we deny about ourselves. Because, have you been in the life experience of said "bad person" You'd be exactly that "bad person" now.

Just because you can't understand it from a perception, which is product from a different set of memories and experiences, structures to set ourselves apart from that we fear, it doesn't mean is bad or good. Very dramatic, really.

Once we let go of all we believe to know. Then we might undarstad the idea of justice, and perhaps discover its denial source.

• 3 years later...
On 8/29/2016 at 2:37 AM, Misscellanio said:

Does it make sense to try and get justice for someone who is a bad person?

1.000.000.000 years ago:

• If someone is bad, they get punished.

1 year ago:

• If someone is bad, they get punished.

I think, by now we should know the outcome. If it was the best option to punish someone when they were "bad", then it would have worked and nothing needs to be changed.

However, what is "bad"? What is intentionally bad? Were people born being bad? Was it the environment that made them bad?

A mosquito that bit your forehead made you cry, and it was bad. It was smashed by your hand as punishment. Will that change all other mosquitoes to be good to you?

Anyways, congratulations Splashee, you made it to 4000.

• Brohoof 2

Those who break the law should be bought to justice. Although there are corrupted government in varies country, so that statement doesn't deserve to be applied. So in alternative, all we can do is to wait for sweet karma to be serve in a sliver platter and give these asshole leaders what they deserved. 

"Ha ha you're dead
The joke is over
You were an asshole
And now you're gone
As your ship is going down
I'll stand by and watch you drown"