Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do humans speak the same way Ponies do?

Vlazamal

According to the show's canon, the human and equestrian world are bridged only by a secret mirror that seldom opens. And as we all know, the way people talk constantly evolves based on their surroundings, their neccesities, and how far apart they are.

Do you think there is a logical reason why ponies would speak English instead of their own language?

Well, MLP is a story, and like any story it is told to us in a language we understand. They may be speaking their own language, but the story is told to us in English.

That's the best I can come up with.

• Brohoof 7

Well, MLP is a story, and like any story it is told to us in a language we understand. They may be speaking their own language, but the story is told to us in English.

Thats not what he meant lol

He meant, "why, in their world, do Humans from the other side of the mirror talk like the ponies in Equestria?"

I believe that its the same world, but one is inhabited by humans, while the other is by ponies. Like different dimensions and such. Minor differences, but many similarities

• Brohoof 1

Maybe they don't. If their physical forms are completely changed, maybe the language they speak does too, we just don't hear the difference since both languages are represented by English.

• Brohoof 5

Thats not what he meant lol

He meant, "why, in their world, do Humans from the other side of the mirror talk like the ponies in Equestria?"

I believe that its the same world, but one is inhabited by humans, while the other is by ponies. Like different dimensions and such. Minor differences, but many similarities

That is what I was going for. Sorry, I'm not going for the whole "because it's a TV show" response. I should be more clear. Maybe they don't speak English at all in their world, but that's just how we see it because it's just like we are being told a story of their world. Just like how if you told me a story about something that happened in Russia, you wouldn't tell me in Russian even though the characters in the story would speak Russia. No matter what language is being spoken, you would tell the story in your language.

I did think about it more and came up with another explication, if you want another one. There are so many similarities between the Equestrian world and the Human world. Maybe that's because even though there is only one way to travel between the worlds, there are things about each world that "bleeds" into the other. Things like language.

• Brohoof 2

You know how twi changes from pony to hoomin (being funny there) in the tunnel between the mirrors and the statue? Logically same principal for the brain. Not only does her body physically adapt to the destination environment but so does the mind. Although the loophole to that is spike because he went canid and yet (in the first two and presumably the third and any future titles where the natural born equestian pair appear together) he was still able to speak english (or w/e human language was used where the film was shown) and was understood by everyone on that plane, not limited to just pony twi. Why spike is the exception/ main theory would be magic but on the other hand logically he should either have been barking and not understood or just understood by pony twi cuz scienc and place of origin. 

Also chrono/space subjects= too much theory, too little fact, too much possibility to know for sure. 

Edited by Cimarronboy

I don't want to, I'd love there to be a ligit canon answer to this.

But... I'm gonna chalk it up to the actors and audience being English speaking, it's the only real reason, wish it wasn't but yeah.

• Brohoof 1

The same language arose independently across all parallel universes just like how many of the same individuals arose independently across parallel universes. 

• Brohoof 1

Maybe they don't. If their physical forms are completely changed, maybe the language they speak does too, we just don't hear the difference since both languages are represented by English.

Yes, who's to say that the ponies of Equestria aren't speaking some random native language of theirs? They could be speaking any language and all we hear is a dubbed version with whichever language we choose to watch the show in.

• Brohoof 2

IF that were the case, pony Twi wouldn't understand the humans and vice versa :dash:

• Brohoof 1

This is how chose to rationalize it. Similarly to how if you are watching an anime English dub.
  • Brohoof 1

Do you think there is a logical reason why ponies would speak English instead of their own language?

First of all maybe they don't and during travelling between universes traveller changes not only physical appearance but language knowledge as well.

equestriagirls3%25255B2%25255D.jpg

According to the show's canon, the human and equestrian world are bridged only by a secret mirror that seldom opens.

According to the show's canon, as we can see, each world contains many similar characters reflecting another. According to this we can say that both worlds are bound much tighter than just magic portal.

FANMADE_Twilight_Sparkle_compare.png

Edited by Crypty

Even though I'm a language person, I'm just gonna invoke Bellisario's maxim and say "because they just do". I just take it as it is.

Obviously from a viewer's perspective it's to get a story going. Plus, pony society isn't all that different from the human world (except for the fact that it's obviously a bit older).

Edited by PacificGreen

Might the idea of the 'multiverse' theory be an option? Being that one specific choice was made and bled out? There's nothing that says that while you could watch it in one language, the exact same thing is happening in another language, with the same consequences? *looks around  worried* I've jumped ship havn't I( and didn't quite understand then question?)

Might the idea of the 'multiverse' theory be an option? Being that one specific choice was made and bled out? There's nothing that says that while you could watch it in one language, the exact same thing is happening in another language, with the same consequences? *looks around  worried* I've jumped ship havn't I( and didn't quite understand then question?)

That could be true if we think of it with the multiverse theory... but then, it would be very hard for the exact same thing to happen in another language, because it means that the first ponies or species whould have had to learn another language than english from the beggining of their existence to understand each other, and that would change these universes farrrr too much for the exact same thing to happen in another language... I consider that by imagining the show, the creators "created " this multiverse with one specific language to the ponies, english. Yeah, I love to think that every show/movie/series already happened in a separate multiverse each, and that the creators just thought of the exact same thing... I know I'm weird :3 

• Brohoof 1

According to the show's canon, the human and equestrian world are bridged only by a secret mirror that seldom opens. And as we all know, the way people talk constantly evolves based on their surroundings, their neccesities, and how far apart they are.

Sometimes adults can't help but look too deeply into something meant to be simply, light-hearted and meant for children. Everyone speaks English because if they didn't it would overcomplicate things. Rest assured, if MLP had the characters speaking some alien language, the charm would have been lost.

That could be true if we think of it with the multiverse theory... but then, it would be very hard for the exact same thing to happen in another language, because it means that the first ponies or species whould have had to learn another language than english from the beggining of their existence to understand each other, and that would change these universes farrrr too much for the exact same thing to happen in another language... I consider that by imagining the show, the creators "created " this multiverse with one specific language to the ponies, english. Yeah, I love to think that every show/movie/series already happened in a separate multiverse each, and that the creators just thought of the exact same thing... I know I'm weird :3 You're

You're one of the herd, you're already weird. Embrace it. Live it. Love it! And to me that's marvelous AND awesome! Never stop being you.

Sometimes adults can't help but look too deeply into something meant to be simply, light-hearted and meant for children. Everyone speaks English because if they didn't it would overcomplicate things. Rest assured, if MLP had the characters speaking some alien language, the charm would have been lost.

Some people (not me I swear :( ... or? :DD) just like to complicate things ;) What, it's not because it's a children's show that we can't talk about multiverses... right?

You're one of the herd, you're already weird. Embrace it. Live it. Love it! And to me that's marvelous AND awesome! Never stop being you.

Do not worry ;)

Edited by Xeltor

Of course you want to go really deep in to a kids show. Let's talk about the theory(that's been around for a while) and how Twilights accendence  lines up along side the stages of grief. As for speaking another language. The Norwegian dub is horrible, some of the animation is off for some parts and every pony has lost that twang in their voice that makes them wonderful!

I think the mirror is what allows both worlds to communicate in the native language of that dimension. Now I want to point out that I believe the two world dimensions still have there own individual written languages. In the first Equestria Girls Twilight tries to sign her name on the ballot (with her pencil in her mouth) and Pinkie Pie "read" it saying she had really bad hand writing. When Sunset Shimmer pops in to look at it you can really tell how bad Twlight's handwriting was. Then Sunset Shimmer says "Where is this Twilight Sparkle." She was like the only one able to read it. I'm guessing because Twilight was writing it in the Equestrian language.