Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did Hasbro really throw plot out of the window?

Gamer_KM

This is more of a Peeved rant 2 weeks after the fact, but....

hasbro/DHX throw a perfectly good plot arc out the window in Times are changling. I know it is, inpart, to have a redeem character for the changlings, andd to have a more "diverse" cast of characters. But they really fudged up a potentially great season.

Changlings, in mythology, are faries that are placed in a crib of a stolen child for the parents to raise. We could have had a young changling queen be in place of flurry, and had several episodes where we see flurry do strange things no ponie should be able to do, having it choked up "baby magic" and for the finally, they find out it's a changling and there would be a epic hunt for the real baby, maybe a bit of better peek of changling ruling system and natural habitat, and if they wanted a changling to live in the crystal empire, i am sure they could have squeezed the changling that replaced flurry be "not as evil" as the rest, being a young queen, hell they could explain how changlings work in general and probably slightly more details the thorax did. Hell let them be raised as a sister/brother(pick your pronones) to flurry, and we could explore what a changling queen could do. Maybe find other emotions they can feed off of. They find flurry find and she could get a big-ish bro/sis. Maybe explore/explain gender rules are what you want them to be.

End of my rant, what do you think?

• Brohoof 1

@@Gamer_KM

Just letting you know the title of this thread was edited for grammatical reasons.

Thanks. :)

• Brohoof 1

Sounds interesting, BUT.

1. Too difficult plot is not welcome in the tv-show for little kids.
  2. Stories during several episodes are for season begin and season end only.
  3. First of all it's story about friendship.
  4. Actual plot about Thorax wasn't bad at all!

mlp_spike_and_thorax_s_first_meeting_by_

• Brohoof 1

That doesn't sound remotely interesting to me, so I can't really relate to your frustration. In any case, we must remember that this is a little girls' show which is expected to be rerun in any order, so the show can't really do any intricate story arcs like that.

• Brohoof 1

..this is a little girls' show which is expected to be rerun in any order

Yeah, this. And let's not forget the themed DVDs that contain episodes drawn from all 6 seasons. 

But I agree with you, Gamer_KM. It was a bit of a wasted opportunity.

That doesn't sound remotely interesting to me, so I can't really relate to your frustration. In any case, we must remember that this is a little girls' show which is expected to be rerun in any order, so the show can't really do any intricate story arcs like that.

Except,They did it, in season one, the whole season was based around then getting for the gala.

Except,They did it, in season one, the whole season was based around then getting for the gala.

There weren't many references to that, and it's really not half as complicated as what's being suggested here.

There is no plot for this season. It is just everypony living a normal life in the aftermath of all the dangerous foes and after they succeeded in spreading friendship after the map thing was done and over with. There might be something with flurry but I doubt it will be anything seriously bad. 

• Brohoof 1

You are saying just because they didn't make an over complicated long arc, which they haven't done before, that they are throwing the "plot" out the window. The show never really has any deep plot aside from two parters or maybe certain arcs, which are just episodes related to each other.

I really enjoyed the episode, and there was nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

Edited by Namae

Too difficult plot is not welcome in the tv-show for little kids.

Actually, kids are fine with complex plots in their cartoons.  Digimon, Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, SatAM and countless other cartoons that have come out over the years are proof of this (Avatar the Last Airbender, anyone?).  So yeah, kids are fine with it as long as there's a happy ending.

First of all it's story about friendship.

As are about 90 percent of Anime, video games, TV shows, and other stories.  That shouldn't impact whether a show has a detailed plot or not.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 2

Actually, kids are fine with complex plots in their cartoons.  Digimon, Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, SatAM and countless other cartoons that have come out over the years are proof of this (Avatar the Last Airbender, anyone?).  So yeah, kids are fine with it as long as there's a happy ending.

As are about 90 percent of Anime, video games, TV shows, and other stories.  That shouldn't impact whether a show has a detailed plot or not.

The real issue is that Discovery Family wants to re-run episodes in any given order, so anything too complex to fit into 22 minutes or so isn't really workable for the show's format. Part of what makes the show impressive is that it's so good in spite of its seemingly endless list of limitations. 

• Brohoof 1

A new changling, Possible crysalis' daughter, If changlinges work same to bees anyway.

Crysalis probly treats her children the same as other changelings. Ops Thorax mom could be Crysalis!!

Also they cant convince this changeling to be good or bad at all!! Let he/she decide their fate! Or maybe the changeling might be neutral to both groups? How will that turn out?