Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Male RPers. Why Do You Choose To Play As Girls?

Denim&Venöm

I like to practice thinking like a female does, they tend to work things out differently and think and feel differently than guys and have more emotion ,I like how girls think and process because it tends to be more deep and complex than men think, so it's fun to switch out and play as a female but I can play as a male to but it tends to be less fun because it's not as hard to play what i am

• Brohoof 1

When playing Fallout 3 I always used to pick a female character largely for one very simple reason.  One of the first perks you gain access to was the 'Black Widow' perk which enabled female characters to do and extra 10% damage to male characters, there was a male alternative to that perk (Ladykiller), but as most of the villainous characters you met were male, it made for a good choice to give you a bit extra kick in the early stages of the game.

• 1 year later...

Well since Female is the gender im attracted to, i prefer to play as a Girl, i think they are prettier and more majestic and i can look up to them better than i could with males. Also, if i would play as a male character, i would just be reminded of myself, my bad life and the fact that im still alone and that would depress me. So, no thanks.

• Brohoof 2

I can RP both genders, having gotten over the 'stigma' of 'being a girl'. I've even RP'ed as a girl online anonymously, and I have to say you are treated MUCH differently. But anyway, I like men and women and it's really not that hard for me to switch between them. After you understand some very basic differences, everything else is kinda individual to the character. I have favs as either gender.

• Brohoof 1

Its mainly because of variety.

although, sometimes i will make a female character for the sake of stretching out another character. A female character i have is actually the sister of another character i have, sothat way other roleplayers can get a better idea of what my characters family life is like.

I'm female but I wouldn't have any problem playing as a guy. When people play a fictional alter ego it's sometimes more fun to be someone different than who we were born to be. The whole point is escapism, so if playing a character of a different gender takes you out of everyday life and enhances enjoyment, why not go for it? 

On 9/1/2016 at 3:28 PM, Denim&Venom said:

Also if any curious ladies are reading and have played as guys before, why do you chose to do so?

In RPGs in general? Well, if it's not a customizable playable character, the reason is usually because I prefer the male characters overall. I'm not one of those who thinks only male characters are written well, but they do tend to be my favorites.

If it's customizable, it's generally because I like the male designs more.

• 10 months later...

Because the men are Freakish Muscle Mutants.

Like, from what I seem to keep seeing in video games is that the men are just oddly triangular piles of muscle who go around huffing about how they're totally the hero & can solve their problems by hitting them hard enough. The women actually get design to them because the designs actually care about how they look.

I find it hard to play men in video games. Feels like a big, dumb, blank slate. Especially the more said masculinity is made apparent. In Pokemon, I've really only played girl twice... and it felt amazing! The girl avatars are just soooooo cute!! Two of my Pokemon Trainer OCs there! "Black" Pearl & and Blanca! Oughta write those down too sometime before I forget 'em!

As for character designs, well... feel compelled to do more male characters as that's more what I'm used to, but I put alot more into my girls, I feel. There's just more of a feeling of emotion & depth to the mental capacity of a female character....

...and men are just ugly, stinky beasts.

...Okey, maybe I'm just a bit sexist in that regard...

Eh, it really depends. More often than not, I find myself playing as female on most Japanese games mainly because they look nicer, whereas in western games I play as a male for similar reasons, only exceptions are Mass Effect where I prefer FemShep and Pokemon/SoulsBorne games where I play males

Best example is Xenoblade X where the female models look fine while males honestly look hideous

Whimsy.

When I first played D&D back in, what... 1992?  '93?  I played a female - not because I wanted to be 'OOH! SMEXAYY!<3', but because it was simply something different to try.  I played up a few tropes, yes... but I also used the role to break a few stereotypes that some of my compatriots felt were IRONCLAD when it came to the other gender (I didn't have any female players in a group until about '98).  

And I LOVE breaking stereotypes.

Besides, I really do enjoy the idea that my character can be ANYTHING and ANYONE they want to.  Hell, I've played male, female, gay, straight, tomboy, fem male, and bi-curious characters during my time as a roleplayer - and getting to see & interact from those perspectives can not only be a refreshing change of pace, but it can also open your eyes to some pretty interesting possibilities - not to mention opening your mind to the struggles and issues these other perspectives have to deal with.

I've had horrible, tasteless & extremely sexist things happen to my female charries - but I've also had wonderful, powerful moments and even got a few kudos from the ladies for how I portrayed them, due to NOT adhering to typical 'standards' as they were originally perceived. 

Besides... if one cannot remove oneself from their own mindsets on occasion, then one cannot truly see past their own nose, so to speak.

And what better way to take a walk in someone else's shoes than to roleplay?

(And maybe someday, I'll tell y'all about the time I DRESSED as a female character IN REAL LIFE, just to prove to my smarmy buddies how far I will go to buck the system.)  :umad: