Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Sequels you will never get to play, but really want to.

Discordian

Sometimes we'll really get into a game or series and you just wanna play what comes next. There can be problems with getting your hands on a sequel though ranging from the sequel simply not existing in spite of massive cliffhangers (Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy) or the console/game in question is extremely rare and/or expensive (Dino Crisis 3)

What are some sequels you've wanted to play but may never?

For me, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem sort of teased a sequel in one of the game's patented "sanity effects" where it abruptly "ends" the game with a splash screen teasing Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Redemption, a supposed sequel and continuation of the game. Unfortunately this never happens but there is some hope as a spiritual sequel to Eternal Darkness in the kickstarted Shadow of the Eternals. The game has failed two kickstarters already and disappeared for a few years but has resurfaced recently seemingly still in development.

But there's really no telling if the game will ever be released and I want it because the trailers looked amazing.

Take note that this topic is not meant for hypothetical sequels. It's more for games that should have existed due to cliffhanger endings or being confirmed by the developers to actually exist. Though I guess it doesn't hurt to throw out sequels you want to exist as well.

Your turn!

• Brohoof 1

Jak 4 and Sly 5. The Jak and Sly series were two of my favorites as a kid, since I grew up with a PS2, but they've both sort of vanished these days.

The ending of Jak 3 hints at Jak and Daxter going on many future adventures, as well as a bit of a tease about what those might hold, but after that game all we got was a Racing spin-off, a game all about Daxter taking place inbetween the first and second games, and a very mediocre game by a different developer. Naughty Dog apparently had an idea for a new Jak game, but instead of continuing the old series, they planned a "Realistic" gritty reboot, and scrapped it to make the Last of Us.

While it's not necessarily a cliffhanger, the promise of future adventures at the end of 3 still makes me crave more, and it's unlikely at this point it will ever happen.

As for Sly, the original Developers Sucker Punch originally left the series off with the Trilogy, which was a good ending. But then Sanzaru games came along to do a 4th game, which I was really excited about! Despite a few flaws I overall liked the game...But Sanzara decided to end the game on a huge Cliffhanger, and have said they have no further plans for a new Sly game...So, they revived the series, for one game...Just to make a cliffhanger? That's just cruel.

At least the chance of a Sly 5 happening is more likely than Jak 4, since the most recent Sly game was only a few years ago, but I still have a strong feeling it won't happen. Sanzaru isn't planning on it at least.

Edited by Base
  • Brohoof 1

Jak 4 and Sly 5. The Jak and Sly series were two of my favorites as a kid, since I grew up with a PS2, but they've both sort of vanished these days.

The ending of Jak 3 hints at Jak and Daxter going on many future adventures, as well as a bit of a tease about what those might hold, but after that game all we got was a Racing spin-off, a game all about Daxter taking place inbetween the first and second games, and a very mediocre game by a different developer. Naughty Dog apparently had an idea for a new Jak game, but instead of continuing the old series, they planned a "Realistic" gritty reboot, and scrapped it to make the Last of Us.

While it's not necessarily a cliffhanger, the promise of future adventures at the end of 3 still makes me crave more, and it's unlikely at this point it will ever happen.

As for Sly, the original Developers Sucker Punch originally left the series off with the Trilogy, which was a good ending. But then Sanzaru games came along to do a 4th game, which I was really excited about! Despite a few flaws I overall liked the game...But Sanzara decided to end the game on a huge Cliffhanger, and have said they have no further plans for a new Sly game...So, they revived the series, for one game...Just to make a cliffhanger? That's just cruel.

At least the chance of a Sly 5 happening is more likely than Jak 4, since the most recent Sly game was only a few years ago, but I still have a strong feeling it won't happen. Sanzaru isn't planning on it at least.

I definitely agree about Sly 5 though I don't know if they truly meant it to be a cliffhanger or it's meant to be like a cartoon where they make irreversible situations for comedy but the next episode it's as if nothing happened.

Darksiders 3. Both games end on a cliff hanger with all four horsemen reunited and a literal evil lurking in the shadows, but right now any plans for a sequel are dubious after the original owner, Vigil Games, went bankrupt and the licence was bought out by Nordic. They keep hinting to planning on a third game but they also said they would gauge the desire for a sequel by how well the Darksiders 2: Deathfinitive Edition sold, which does not bode well.

Golden Sun 4. The third game, Dark Dawn, ended on a huge Sequel Hook, and then any plans for a conclusion seemed to just drop off the face of the earth.  

• Brohoof 1

I definitely agree about Sly 5 though I don't know if they truly meant it to be a cliffhanger or it's meant to be like a cartoon where they make irreversible situations for comedy but the next episode it's as if nothing happened.

Sly is pretty cartoony for sure, but that really wouldn't fit in with the rest of the series, which has pretty tight continuity. In the original games, events that happened in the last game always had an effect on future games. You defeat the main villain Clockwerk at the end of game one, and game two is about trying to stop him from being resurrected. Bentley's legs get broken at the end of 2, and he's in a wheelchair in 3, etc.

The Cartoonish Continuity wipe thing has never really been something Sly has done.

• Brohoof 1

Sly is pretty cartoony for sure, but that really wouldn't fit in with the rest of the series, which has pretty tight continuity. In the original games, events that happened in the last game always had an effect on future games. You defeat the main villain Clockwerk at the end of game one, and game two is about trying to stop him from being resurrected. Bentley's legs get broken at the end of 2, and he's in a wheelchair in 3, etc.

The Cartoonish Continuity wipe thing has never really been something Sly has done.

That's also true but with the fact that there were no plans to make a sequel it seemed odd that they would do that. Unless they were just more or less passing the torch for whoever takes up the mantle next, as they did with Sly 3's implied cliffhanger.

Darksiders 3. Both games end on a cliff hanger with all four horsemen reunited and a literal evil lurking in the shadows, but right now any plans for a sequel are dubious after the original owner, Vigil Games, went bankrupt and the licence was bought out by Nordic. They keep hinting to planning on a third game but they also said they would gauge the desire for a sequel by how well the Darksiders 2: Deathfinitive Edition sold, which does not bode well.

Golden Sun 4. The third game, Dark Dawn, ended on a huge Sequel Hook, and then any plans for a conclusion seemed to just drop off the face of the earth.

I still need to go back and beat Darksiders 2 but before I even played it I've known that they don't actually resolve anything. Probably part of why I've been hesitant about playing it even though it's just as amazing as the first (though for different reasons).

That's also true but with the fact that there were no plans to make a sequel it seemed odd that they would do that. Unless they were just more or less passing the torch for whoever takes up the mantle next, as they did with Sly 3's implied cliffhanger.

That's possible as well, but if nobody else picks up that torch, it's an unfortunate place to leave the series. Personally, this one bothers me even more than the Jak series, because it's such a Huge cliffhanger, the kind that's just begging for another part. I believe Sly 4 didn't sell amazingly, so maybe that's why?

Anyway, I'll just keep hoping for a fifth game, even if it ends the series...As long as it doesn't end on another cliffhanger, that would just be a cruel joke.

A good Fantasy Life sequel. The first was so great but then Level 5 jumped right onto the mobile bandwagon and made the sequel into some dumb cash cow. A damn shame because the original was really fun and really well made. A sequel that took the original concept and revamped it would have been an instant victory.

Well, I've suffered this for years with Duodecim Dissidia Final Fantasy, until I FINALLY found it in an independent videogame store when I went to Mane.... I mean: MANhattan last year, just in front of the hotel my family and I stayed: Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, 6th Avenue and W 39th St

Since Avengers Alliance is ending, the end of the game implies that the adventures of your SHIELD agent avatar and your army of heroes might not be over after the incursion problem, but I don't see a sequel coming, as all Avengers Alliances are shutting down this 30th 

Well, the Game Metal Arms - Glitch to the System had an open Ending, with the main Villain saying something like : This isnt over yet !

A Sequel was into Production but got cancelled, since the Company got bought buy another Company and there werent interested in a Sequel...what a shame.

The same happened with Obscure 3 and the Obscure Prequel that was talked about by Hydravision, but the right to Obscure went to another Company and they just rebooted everything with Final Exam.

One Sequel thats not easy to get is Spiderman - Web of Fire.

It is sold for sometimes over 200 Dollars.

As well as countless old Castlevania Games, which are all kinda rare.

I dont think i will ever be able to play them, without buying them online. Which is also not possible since many old Games arent available for Mac and my Steam isnt working anymore.

I have to update my System for it but dont know my Password.

Well....that sucks.

Some other Games i want are Aquaman - Battle for Atlantis and Sgt. Rock on the Frontline, these Games arent rare to my knowledge, but they are simply not sold on any european Auction Sides.

So i would have to ask some American Person, if they could buy me the Game and then send it to me, but i dont have the Money at the moment.

• Brohoof 1

I thought of another one:

Kameo: Elements of Power. I loved the first game. It left off on a cliffhanger and didn't really resolve anything. I kinda hope someone someday picks it up and does cool things with Kameo's transformations.

Well, the Game Metal Arms - Glitch to the System had an open Ending, with the main Villain saying something like : This isnt over yet !

A Sequel was into Production but got cancelled, since the Company got bought buy another Company and there werent interested in a Sequel...what a shame.

The same happened with Obscure 3 and the Obscure Prequel that was talked about by Hydravision, but the right to Obscure went to another Company and they just rebooted everything with Final Exam.

One Sequel thats not easy to get is Spiderman - Web of Fire.

It is sold for sometimes over 200 Dollars.

As well as countless old Castlevania Games, which are all kinda rare.

I dont think i will ever be able to play them, without buying them online. Which is also not possible since many old Games arent available for Mac and my Steam isnt working anymore.

I have to update my System for it but dont know my Password.

Well....that sucks.

Some other Games i want are Aquaman - Battle for Atlantis and Sgt. Rock on the Frontline, these Games arent rare to my knowledge, but they are simply not sold on any european Auction Sides.

So i would have to ask some American Person, if they could buy me the Game and then send it to me, but i dont have the Money at the moment.

Do you have a 3DS or anything like that? The original Castlevania games have been put on the store and are pretty cheap. You can also get Rondo of Blood via the Dracula X Chronicles on PSP. Both the remade and original versions of the game are in there, as well as Symphony of the Night. By far the best of the original styled Castlevania games, in my opinion.

• Brohoof 2

Megaman Legends 3

But then, you know, Capcom went psycho and started cancelling everything Megaman related after Inafune left. Except for that piece of shit iOS game Xover that was intended the "anniversary game"

Yeah that was the worst time to be a Megaman fan

• Brohoof 1

I thought of another one:

Kameo: Elements of Power. I loved the first game. It left off on a cliffhanger and didn't really resolve anything. I kinda hope someone someday picks it up and does cool things with Kameo's transformations.

Do you have a 3DS or anything like that? The original Castlevania games have been put on the store and are pretty cheap. You can also get Rondo of Blood via the Dracula X Chronicles on PSP. Both the remade and original versions of the game are in there, as well as Symphony of the Night. By far the best of the original styled Castlevania games, in my opinion.

Oh my God, yes ! I remember Kameo, i love that game^^ Completely forgot to mention it, i would love a Sequel to that.

And no, i dont have a 3Ds but thanks for the Info.^^

But what about Vampire Killer or Haunted Castle? Are they on the Store as well?

I know that this ones count more as Spinoffs i guess, but they are also hard to find.

@,

I'm not even sure. I just know I have the first two Castlevanias off of there and the third is there as well.

@,

I really wish they weren't actively trying to kill the franchise. There was that FPS Megaman game that looks really awesome that got cancelled right around the time all of that shit started.

At least they put Megaman Legends 2 on PSN so now I can finally play that all the way through. :D

• Brohoof 1