Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spoilers: Legend of everfree book discussion. (THIS MEANS HEAVY SPOILERS, DUH)

Unlikeable Pony

So, since the book of Legend of everfree is out, this thread is for discussing it.

I was very pleasantly surprised! The book was much better than I was expecting and pretty enjoyable; all of the mane six were enjoyable, and the plot seemed to have a heavy focus on them. I really liked all of them having magical powers, and overall the setup and structure of things seemed well done.

I will admit that Glory was still kind of a shitty villain, motivation wise, since she's more or less just insane, and I like more straight up evil villains like the sirens; but it still worked for a "Starter villain", the screw up who just introduces the heroes to monster fighting. Ironically, this movie comes out as MORE of a prologue/setting the stage movie for the series than Equestria girls did; It basically hits a "Position zero" spot for the mane six in having them get what are more or less EOH as the source of their powers and sets up an actual purpose for them as needing to fight and contain the magic of Equestria that's leaking into the human world, compared to how they had no real purpose besides just bumming around with magic in the past couple of movies.

Now, I WILL say that the giant Glowing pillars with their gemstones on them are kind of unexplained, since as this world lacks magic normally, those shouldn't even exist, and I don't think the Gemstones came from Equestria leaking through the portals twilight opened in the first movie. But eh, I can ignore that.
One thing, I hope that the gemstone necklaces they get in the movie are more cutie mark shaped/interesting than just the bland gems on Glory's necklace that we've seen.

One thing I really like though is them killing flashlight and trying to rekindles Sunflash. I always said that I felt those two would work out better than Twilight and flash who had no chemistry: And ironically, they gave ALOT of chemistry to Timber and twilight to actually try and make it work by having them both be nerds.

Now, I do have to admit though, Fluttershy got the shit end of the stick for powers; at least Sunset's powers are useful out of combat for intelligence gathering, Fluttershy's animal control is still kind of shitty: If Sunset touches someone they get all their evil plans and information, right there; Fluttershy, she can have like mice spy on them or some shit, but that's not as good.

Fluttershy is basically the Super friends aquaman. I kind of hope they do a kind of "buff/nerf" patch next movie to give fluttershy her stare too.

What about Gaia Everfree?

She doesn't exist. She's just a story that Timber made up to cover for Gloriosa using magic around camp, so that campers would jump to the conclusion that its a folklore monster causing weird things to happen, rather than connecting the strange events to Glory being around when strange shit goes down. Glory just found what appears to be the human world's version of the elements of harmony and has been tampering with magic to try and make camp "better"

Of course, his description of gaia ends up turning out to be exactly what Glory turns into at the end when she overuses magic.

To be honest, Glory/gaia is kind of a shitty villain, since she's just insane, and insane in a "Literally makes no sense" way, in that her plan is pretty much counterproductive-- Which, since she IS insane, makes sense, but still, she's got the logic of Bizzarro superman in how to "Help" people.

That being said, she comes across as a "Starter villain" kind of character: she's not there to be a true big bad she's there to be a throwaway threat to introduce the heroes to being magical girls, more or less; Like I said, the movie almost functions as a better Starting point for the EQG series than the 1st movie, since its setting up a purpose for the seven of them as magical girls, with clearly defined powers and power sources, and a clearly defined purpose in the stinger.

Why Sunflash? Why not kill 3 of them? :P Sunny has admitted that shes not for him

Well, Sunset did seem pretty oblivious to Flash in that one scene, and this IS the book, so that might not even be in there.

But If they're Hooking up Twilight and timber, I can't see them not doing a Pair the spares thing for flash, since they have so many toys of him and an invested interest in hooking him up with someone else.

She doesn't exist. She's just a story that Timber made up to cover for Gloriosa using magic around camp, so that campers would jump to the conclusion that its a folklore monster causing weird things to happen, rather than connecting the strange events to Glory being around when strange shit goes down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH44KqA1PPU

Almost as much of a letdown as Starlight's backstory.

She doesn't exist. She's just a story that Timber made up to cover for Gloriosa using magic around camp, so that campers would jump to the conclusion that its a folklore monster causing weird things to happen, rather than connecting the strange events to Glory being around when strange shit goes down. Glory just found what appears to be the human world's version of the elements of harmony and has been tampering with magic to try and make camp "better"

Of course, his description of gaia ends up turning out to be exactly what Glory turns into at the end when she overuses magic.

To be honest, Glory/gaia is kind of a shitty villain, since she's just insane, and insane in a "Literally makes no sense" way, in that her plan is pretty much counterproductive-- Which, since she IS insane, makes sense, but still, she's got the logic of Bizzarro superman in how to "Help" people.

That being said, she comes across as a "Starter villain" kind of character: she's not there to be a true big bad she's there to be a throwaway threat to introduce the heroes to being magical girls, more or less; Like I said, the movie almost functions as a better Starting point for the EQG series than the 1st movie, since its setting up a purpose for the seven of them as magical girls, with clearly defined powers and power sources, and a clearly defined purpose in the stinger.

Well, Sunset did seem pretty oblivious to Flash in that one scene, and this IS the book, so that might not even be in there.

But If they're Hooking up Twilight and timber, I can't see them not doing a Pair the spares thing for flash, since they have so many toys of him and an invested interest in hooking him up with someone else.

What did Sunset do to Flash? Im sure Timber didnt show any signs of affection since they just met (pretty sure Timber isnt  loveinfirstsight  anything like Flash )

What did Sunset do to Flash? Im sure Timber didnt show any signs of affection since they just met (pretty sure Timber isnt  loveinfirstsight  anything like Flash )

Sunset talked flash out of wanting to date Twilight, and then flash immediately tried to hook back up with sunset; she didn't really connect much, though its a decent hint at shipping IMO.

large.png

OK, I TRIED to avoid reading the first message, but as always, my curiosity get the best of me, so I'd read some. What I got is Gloriosa being the main antagonist (no surprise here :dash:), the crystals being important, and Flashy didn't got human Twi, but maybe Sunny

large.jpeg

Edited by Steve Piranha

One thing that's interesting, and I wonder if it'll hold true in the movie, is that they never pony up till the very end AFTER the battle; they're all using their magical abilities in human forms throughout the book.

The only time they turn into their horsegirl forms is a "EOH erases all the vines" montage where they each get an EOH necklace. (also wondering if twilight will actually get a crown in the actual movie instead of a necklace like the others like the book says)

Plus, the whole "crystal wings" thing from the toys never happens once in the book, or at leas its never mentioned, so I wonder if that's just going to be a fashion show thing.

large.jpeg

OK, I TRIED to avoid reading the first message, but as always, my curiosity get the best of me, so I'd read some. What I got is Gloriosa being the main antagonist (no surprise here :dash:), the crystals being important, and Flashy didn't got human Twi, but maybe Sunny

Also, the stinger is that the are still tiny portals opened to equestria all over canterlot from FG, and magic's still pouring through.

Edited by Unlikeable Pony

Aww.  I was hoping to see Rarity chase after Flash Sentry for the upcoming film.  :(

Also, the stinger is that the are still tiny portals opened to equestria all over canterlot from FG, and magic's still pouring through.

Whelp.  Looks like we may be setting up for an Equestria Girls grand finale.

Whelp.  Looks like we may be setting up for an Equestria Girls grand finale.

Finale? It seems to be the BEGINNING, rather than the end. They finally gave the mane six a purpose for having magic (cleaning up magical contamination into their world), and have codified their abilities and power source; it seems less like they're going to be ending it rather than they finally figured out a "Reason" for the series premise (the mane six having magic that is).

Aww.  I was hoping to see Rarity chase after Flash Sentry for the upcoming film.   :(

I'm honestly wondering if they'll find a way to work in spike's crush on Rarity into the series in any way; Spike doesn't have any attraction to rarity in this one, and while that makes sense since he's a DOG, it still kind of feels like he's missing something.

And the plot is Sense of Right Alliance vs. G/B delirium nooblette with no removal.

Yeah, Glory is kind of just batshit insane, without any real malice; she doesn't even seem to comprehend that "Trap campers in the camp with vines so they can't leave" isn't something that everyone's going to love.

It kind of explains her "best week of camp ever" thing, but still.

One thing that I do kind of find annoying is, they don't fight GLORY. they fight a bunch of vines, or at least that's how the book lays it out.

They never directly attack glory, they're just trying to whack away at the weeds to clear a path for everyone else to get out of the vines. It makes sense in character as their number one priority is "Save everyone else" not "Kill the witch", but it still kind of a drag that they're not really in an active fight.

They do have RD at the end try and sneak up on Glory when they realize whacking at vines isn't a winning strat, but that's about it.

But who is glory? Isnt she Timber's sis? Why is she the villian? . I saw how Flash tried to reconcile ,im sure thats how he tried to make Twilight notice him xD. Edit: just found out that glory is human world element of harmony damnit ,that doesnt even make sence 

Also isnt Timber an adult? being a camp counselor and all.

Edited by LyricaDreamy

But who is glory? Isnt she Timber's sis? Why is she the villian? . I saw how Flash tried to reconcile ,im sure thats how he tried to make Twilight notice him xD. Edit: just found out that glory is human world element of harmony damnit ,that doesnt even make sence 

Also isnt Timber an adult? being a camp counselor and all.

Well you can go read the book man :P its out and its pretty good.

(Also, let me state that when I say "Glory" I mean "Gloriosa" I'm just shortening her name for ease of typing, in case people think I'm talking about a totally different character :P) but no, glory isn't the Human world's elements of harmony; she FOUND them; there's apparently 7 crystal pillars in a cave in the camp with a gemstone/geode on each of them. Glory and timber found the pillars, glory started messing around with the crystals, and realized they were magical, and put on 5 of them and decided to try and make the last week of camp before it closed down as memorable as possible. Timber tried to tell her that was dangerous, but she didn't listen to him, hence the two coming into conflict with each other.

However it looks like using EOH magic without exemplifying the EOH inevitably drives you insane, as Glory's ideas of how to "help" campers during the week are flat out insane, and then she grabs the last 2 crystals and turns into that Gaia form and goes batshit insane, before the end when the crystals all float to the mane seven and form necklaces. (Which is also the explanation for why they all have magic at camp because they're in proximity to the human world EOH)

Timber and Glory occupy a weird niche in that are technically adults since they're running the camp and making business deals, but Timber is still crushing on twilight and trying to get into a relationship with her. So they're probably like 19 or something.

Edited by Unlikeable Pony

Well you can go read the book man :P its out and its pretty good.

(Also, let me state that when I say "Glory" I mean "Gloriosa" I'm just shortening her name for ease of typing, in case people think I'm talking about a totally different character :P) but no, glory isn't the Human world's elements of harmony; she FOUND them; there's apparently 7 crystal pillars in a cave in the camp with a gemstone/geode on each of them. Glory and timber found the pillars, glory started messing around with the crystals, and realized they were magical, and put on 5 of them and decided to try and make the last week of camp before it closed down as memorable as possible. Timber tried to tell her that was dangerous, but she didn't listen to him, hence the two coming into conflict with each other.

However it looks like using EOH magic without exemplifying the EOH inevitably drives you insane, as Glory's ideas of how to "help" campers during the week are flat out insane, and then she grabs the last 2 crystals and turns into that Gaia form and goes batshit insane, before the end when the crystals all float to the mane seven and form necklaces. (Which is also the explanation for why they all have magic at camp because they're in proximity to the human world EOH)

Timber and Glory occupy a weird niche in that are technically adults since they're running the camp and making business deals, but Timber is still crushing on twilight and trying to get into a relationship with her. So they're probably like 19 or something.

Twilight is probaly gonna forget about asking him about his phone number :P

Twilight is probaly gonna forget about asking him about his phone number :P

I wouldn't be so sure; From what I can tell, timber is supposed to be twilight's New love interest to be paired with, as they pretty definitively have the two of them hit it off.

More characters equals more toys after all, and if they move flash to sunset, that's two ken dolls they can sell now.

Timber will probably periodically visit canterlot high to see twilight.

What are the powers of the main six? [especially Applejacks]

Twilight-The Levitation Spell

Rarity-Shield

Pinkie-Gambit's power(she can make things explode)

Fluttershy-Animal Communication

Applejack-Super Strength

Rainbow Dash-Super Speed

Sunset Shimmer-Memory Reading

Edited by Slashy

Rarity-Shield

Applejack-Super Strength

Rainbow Dash-Super Speed

Wait.  Does that mean Equestria Girls' Pinkie Pie is Michael Bay?

• Brohoof 1

Filthy Rich did nothing wrong, Gloriosa is just a terrible business woman who clearly should not be running a camp.

Honestly, yeah. He didn't do anything underhanded. Rather dislike that they look to have played him up as evil just for being a businessman; I mean, in MLP it was refreshing how they show filthy in a good light, and then they go and do the "token evil rich guy" route here just for glory getting into debt.

Rarity-Shield

Applejack-Super Strength

Rainbow Dash-Super Speed

I think its more telepathy than memory reading, since she's able to read what pinkie is thinking of at that exact moment as well, not just her memories.

On that note, I kind of hope they do a power polishing pass in the next movie to make fluttershy's power a little more on the level with the others; like give her the stare or something so she has a more combat usable ability.

Kind of the same for sunset, make her power not require her to touch people to use her telepathy, so she can have it be slightly more easy to use.

Happens at the very end after the battle.

I was kind of a little incredulous of the fundraiser a bit, since I really didn't think a bunch of campers who were ALREADY at the camp would have the money to save it, but then I realized I was ignoring the part at the end about the donors that knew Glory's parents showing up, since that's probably the REAL way the camp is saved.

Read it. I am now spoiler ready!

Anyhow, not exactly my kind of magical forest adventure, not exactly my kind of magical girls, and there were no tourist traps where you could buy crappy, overpriced souvenirs for your family members.

The whole thing feels like the first episode in some average magical girl show where an evil minion tries to do some shit but is then stopped by a group of girls who find out that they have superpowers. I was half expecting some Rita Repulsa to appear at the end of the book. Plus Twily Mk IV is the new woobie, fresh from the oven of regret. This pattern is getting ancient.

Read it. I am now spoiler ready!

Anyhow, not exactly my kind of magical forest adventure, not exactly my kind of magical girls, and there were no tourist traps where you could buy crappy, overpriced souvenirs for your family members.

The whole thing feels like the first episode in some average magical girl show where an evil minion tries to do some shit but is then stopped by a group of girls who find out that they have superpowers. I was half expecting some Rita Repulsa to appear at the end of the book. Plus Twily Mk IV is the new woobie, fresh from the oven of regret. This pattern is getting ancient.

Still better than them being power batteries :P

But on the rita repulsa bit, I actually wouldn't be surprised if they introduced some overarching villain for the series in the next movie.

Hoping there's more ponying up in the next movie, as they seem to never turn into horsegirls except at the end when they get their gemstones.