Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will the movie underperform?

CastletonSnob

What do you think? Will the movie underperform at the box office?

In my opinion, it will. I think people overestimate how many fans of MLP there are.

People overestimate how much stigma will actually be with this film. Nobody really cares anymore that it was originally for girls except those 50 or so internet tough guys.

Also there isn't much competition when it comes out.

I've thought of this too, however, it's hard to say until we know how many theaters the movie will premiere in. I think some people are expecting it to be bigger than its realistically going to be. This isn't going to be a Frozen-like movie where everyone's raving about it. It'll be huge among the fandom and the younger fanbase, but it won't bring in too many outsiders who aren't already familiar with the product/franchise. I presume Hasbro is well aware of this, and will plan accordingly.

The Hey Arnold & Powerpuff Girls movie performances are more realistic comparisons to how the FiM film will perform, but even then, don't be surprised to see it make less than that. FiM has a large, diverse fandom, but its brand awareness suffers from being on Discovery Family. It all depends on how enthusiastic the base fanbase is at the time of release.

As of now, I don't think it'll be a blockbuster, and will likely succeed with the target demographic, at least moderately.

Edited by Rivendare
  • Brohoof 3

I've thought of this too, however, it's hard to say until we know how many theaters the movie will premiere in. I think some people are expecting it to be bigger than its realistically going to be. This isn't going to be a Frozen-like movie where everyone's raving about it. It'll be huge among the fandom and the younger fanbase, but it won't bring in too many outsiders who aren't already familiar with the product/franchise. I presume Hasbro is well aware of this, and will plan accordingly.

The Hey Arnold & Powerpuff Girls movie performances are more realistic comparisons to how the FiM film will perform, but even then, don't be surprised to see it make less than that. FiM has a large, diverse fandom, but its brand awareness suffers from being on Discovery Family. It all depends on how enthusiastic the base fanbase is at the time of release.

As of now, I don't think it'll be a blockbuster, and will likely succeed with the target demographic, at least moderately.

There's no chance that the movie will do as well as any Disney movie. 

• Brohoof 1

I think the film will perform perfectly fine. It 'underperforming' at this point doesn't even seem possible. The fandom is large enough on its own to make the film be a moderate success at minimum. Anything else, that will add to it. Bronies aren't the only fans of MLP.

I think...

We have not enough information to go on. There is not enough evidence to form an accurate or even semi-accurate hypothesis.

It's a family-oriented animated film with a recognizable brand name. Those are some of the most profitable films around, so I don't think it's gonna flop. Sure, it probably won't have Disney-level profits, given that it's based on a TV show, but that only gives it a built-in audience, and remember that every member of the target demographic who goes to see it is at least two or three movie tickets, as their families will likely see it with them. It's probably gonna break even at the very least. 

• 2 weeks later...

Considering this franchise has been recognizable since the 80's, I'm sure it won't fail, but it's not going to be the Disney movie of the year or something. The show itself has a large fanbase consistent both children and adults. Plus, it would be somewhat nostalgic for anyone who grew up playing with older ponies. So no, it probably won't fail.