Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is There Such A Thing As Headphones That Can Be Used With TV's?

OmegaBeamOfficial

Being very much a closet brony and not wanting to reveal that I am one to my friends and family that don't already know, when I decided to watch the new when it started airing on TV for my country instead of just waiting around for a digital release via Netflix or Amazon (Hey, can you blame me, It's hard to avoid spoilers in this day and age online) I realised there was one fatal flaw: My mother. I don't want her hearing the sounds of someone singing My Little Pony from upstairs because she'd probably either think I'm mentally disabled or that I'm a homosexual, since she's one of those parents who have a very closed mindset when it comes to media. So I tried to search online to maybe see if there was some kind of headphone solution, and the answers were surprisingly varied. Some said it was a thing, some said it wasn't possible and some results were just headphone listings on online shopping sites that didn't even mention anything about TV compatibility, which makes me wonder why they're showing those results in the first place. So my question is this: Is there any such things as headphones that can be used with a TV in some way shape or form, and can anyone who has used them clarify that? This would be really helpful at solving my problem. Make no mistake though, this Isn't just an MLP problem. My mother always gets generally annoyed when she keeps hearing the regular stuff that I watch on TV.

• Brohoof 2

can't you just watch it on computer? with or w/o headphones? or.. get a girl and kiss her in front of your mom (-%

why is so many people thinks that this cartoon is something bad anyway? never understand that part actually... why you have to hide what you're watching, when it's definitely a good show with a great story line and very deep characters, not to mention voice actors .. ect.

*sorry for little offtop, but i thought every TV's has a jack input for headphones, or some bluetooth/usb or else) or maybe try use same headphones as your tv.

Edited by Ethan Tran
  • Brohoof 1

Yes but connecting wired headphones to a TV isn't the most recommended thing ever since most head phones have wires that aren't long enough to support a comfortable distance between you and the TV. I'd suggest looking for the Bluetooth wireless TV headphones, Google them, I'm pretty sure Amazon usually has them in stock. I hear gogroove is a good brand for it.

Also, It also seriously depends on the type of TV you own, if it doesn't support a headphone jack for instance then you might need to also get an adapter.

Edited by Crescent Light
  • Brohoof 1

can't you just watch it on computer? with or w/o headphones? or.. get a girl and kiss her in front of your mom (-%

why is so many people thinks that this cartoon is something bad anyway? never understand that part actually... why you have to hide what you're watching, when it's definitely a good show with a great story line and very deep characters, not to mention voice actors .. ect.

*sorry for little offtop, but i thought every TV's has a jack input for headphones, or some bluetooth/usb or else) or maybe try use same headphones as your tv.

It's a little more complicated than that. There's no legal way to watch TV on a computer as far as I know... And It's just how society is. No matter how good the storyline, characters, voice acting and such, there's still going to be people who don't see that, or worse, don't see that and literally say, "It's about cartoon ponies and you're a guy, so you shouldn't be watching it, like It's the same thing as giving a child an M-Rated videogame. I bet you could give a girl a soccer ball and no-one would bat an eyelid, but It's different with guys, they have a certain manliness to uphold and the fact that I like MLP doesn't really help that.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

My bedroom TV has a socket for headphones.

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

That looks a little awkward though honestly. Unless there are headphones with wires long enough that I at least don't have to stand in front of my TV which Isn't on ground level for me, that doesn't sound like a comfortable viewing experience.

Yes but connecting wired headphones to a TV isn't the most recommended thing ever since most head phones have wires that aren't long enough to support a comfortable distance between you and the TV. I'd suggest looking for the Bluetooth wireless TV headphones, Google them, I'm pretty sure Amazon usually has them in stock. I hear gogroove is a good brand for it.

Also, It also seriously depends on the type of TV you own, if it doesn't support a headphone jack for instance then you might need to also get an adapter.

I guess that'd be pretty handy. Thanks.

• Brohoof 1

Most HDTVs have a headphone jack on them. If not, what you can do if you have a PS4 is plug headphones into the controller while watching Netflix. You also can get converters to convert the red and white audio cables to standard 3.5MM headphones.

Or another option would be to just buy a extension cable for your standard stereo headphone cable (3.5mm Male to female etc). It'll get you some extra footage for maybe $5 and some extra wires laying around of course.

Edited by Mutemutt
  • Brohoof 1

I did once have a set of wireless headphones that you plug into your headphone jack, then the base just sits on its own and you can sit back without any worry of wires or stuff like that. They generally have a fairly considerate range as well. Mine were able to go through most of my house without loosing signal, even downstairs. The downside is that they eat battery life and don't charge particularly fast, so you could end up with them not working at all if you haven't been charging them enough.

Still, I'd say it's your best bet for using headphones on a TV and being comfortable while you're at it. (Just don't let someone walk in while you're oblivious to their presence. :P)

• Brohoof 1

You can use some bluetooth adapters with TVs, if your TV lacks the ability to utilise it already. Then just get a device (like Beats headphones) to connect with. Or you can connect with your phone maybe..? and play through there

I don't know, bluetooth is complicated, you're better off using the audio jack on the back or side of your TV.

• Brohoof 1

Most HDTVs have a headphone jack on them. If not, what you can do if you have a PS4 is plug headphones into the controller while watching Netflix. You also can get converters to convert the red and white audio cables to standard 3.5MM headphones.

I don't have a PS4, only an Xbox One, and the headphones have to be wired into an adaptor on the controller, so meh.

Or another option would be to just buy a extension cable for your standard stereo headphone cable (3.5mm Male to female etc). It'll get you some extra footage for maybe $5 and some extra wires laying around of course.

Sounds good. Extensions always good.

I did once have a set of wireless headphones that you plug into your headphone jack, then the base just sits on its own and you can sit back without any worry of wires or stuff like that. They generally have a fairly considerate range as well. Mine were able to go through most of my house without loosing signal, even downstairs. The downside is that they eat battery life and don't charge particularly fast, so you could end up with them not working at all if you haven't been charging them enough.

Still, I'd say it's your best bet for using headphones on a TV and being comfortable while you're at it. (Just don't let someone walk in while you're oblivious to their presence. :P)

Yeah, I'll have to keep the battery in mind. But walking in shouldn't be a problem. I keep my bedroom door locked.

You can use some bluetooth adapters with TVs, if your TV lacks the ability to utilise it already. Then just get a device (like Beats headphones) to connect with. Or you can connect with your phone maybe..? and play through there

I don't know, bluetooth is complicated, you're better off using the audio jack on the back or side of your TV.

Beats? Nah, way too expensive, but thanks for the help.

That looks a little awkward though honestly. Unless there are headphones with wires long enough that I at least don't have to stand in front of my TV which Isn't on ground level for me, that doesn't sound like a comfortable viewing experience.

You can buy headphones with really long chords. Musicians often use them when they need to plug headphones into an amp or soundboard when they are recording. You can also get extension cables for headphones.

If you can find wireless headphones with a receiver that plugs into a headphone jack, then those will work with a TV.

• Brohoof 1

You can buy headphones with really long chords. Musicians often use them when they need to plug headphones into an amp or soundboard when they are recording. You can also get extension cables for headphones.

If you can find wireless headphones with a receiver that plugs into a headphone jack, then those will work with a TV.

Yeah, I guess that's a cool solution. Thanks.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I guess that's a cool solution. Thanks.

I don't know if you can order stuff online, but I found these headphones: https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Headphones-RP-HTF295-K-Lightweight-Comfortable/dp/B007G54QX4/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=M5NB6T3ZN9Z0Y8YCH1CW

The chord is about 16 feet long, and the price is very good for headphones.

Edited by El Duderino
  • Brohoof 1

Good point, I completely forgot about that option, It's also a very cost-effective solution. On a different  note, Given the OPs wording on the thread so far, I do wonder if the TV in question has a 3.5mm Jack.....It might be one of those older models that only has RCA jacks....not sure if RCA to 3.5 adapters would work with Cable TV....never tried it o_o 

Edited by Crescent Light
  • Brohoof 1

I don't have a PS4, only an Xbox One, and the headphones have to be wired into an adaptor on the controller, so meh.

The new controller has a regular headphone jack. So if you buy another controller you should be all set.

So that's another option. 

• 3 years later...

I don't think my big TV has a headphone jack (I haven't looked for it), but, my sound system does. I just made myself an extension cable for headphones so I want watch some movie on the big TV at night. I just turn off the speaker output and use the headphones. 

You can  buy a headphone extension cable as well, buying some cable, a 6.3mm jack and a 6.3mm plug was easier for me :twismile:

Edited by Pentium100