Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Buckball game (WIP)

Time Shield

**** UPDATE: CURRENT TEST BUILD ****

**** UPDATE: TEST VIDEO BELOW ****

**** NOTE: REST OF THREAD FROM THIS POINT WAS STARTED PRE-DEVELOPMENT ****

While I'm not much into sports games, I've been thinking about making a multiplayer Buckball game in Unity ever since this past episode.  I'm trying to decide what the best approach would be:

1. Two person multiplayer.  Pros: While internet play would be nice, this would be the easiest to pull off at a single computer.  Cons: Entire team controlled by one person, and the controls might be difficult to manage.
  2. Three person multiplayer.  Pros: Like the above, it could be done at one computer or over the internet, with each player playing a member of the team (earth pony, pegasus, and unicorn) and the opposing team being computer controlled.  Cons: Coming up with enemy team AI, and of course it lacks the player vs. player element.
  3. Six person multiplayer.  Pros: Would play like an actual sport, with three players a side.  Cons: Internet only (six players at one computer is a bit too much), plus it may be difficult to get six people to play it together anyway.

I'm leaning towards the first option.  Controlling the whole team would look something like this:

• Left stick -- Moves earth pony around
  • Right stick -- Controls basket moved by unicorn
  • Right shoulder buttons -- Earth pony light and heavy hits
  • Left shoulder buttons -- Move pegasus back and forth

What do you think?

Edited by Time Shield
  • Brohoof 4

Giving it some more thought, I think I'd definitely want to go with the 1v1 approach, and I think the right stick on a controller would be best to control the pegasus instead of the unicorn.  I think I might try to make a prototype and see how it comes out.

I've started on the basic engine for it.  Finishing up Earth Pony movement, then I'll work on the movement of the Pegasus and Unicorn.  After that, I'll start figuring out how to make the actual hitting of the ball around.  Graphics and such won't come until much later.

Ideally, it would be nice if the players could customize their own teams.  That would be a lot of work, however.  If it's not possible to do, I'll just go for a stock of different ponies to choose from.

• Brohoof 1

I have movement for all three teammates completed, so now I'm working on ball movement.  The hard part will be calculating the direction and velocity of the ball necessary when hitting it, such that it will strike a target.

*EDIT* Alright, ball physics working pretty decently.  May need some tweaking though.  In any case, I'm getting close to it being semi-playable.

Edited by Time Shield

You can always implement role switch function like most madden and nba2k games, that is, unless after a certain role is complete, you can have the game automatically switch to be next pony in line. Example: Earth Pony kicks, atuo switch to Pegasus pony. Also, I can make the music for this if you want...

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get everything working from a single controller.  The Earth Pony can hit the ball multiple ways, the Pegasus can deflect the ball towards the Earth Pony, and the Unicorn can catch the ball in the basket.  So far it works with only one team on the field, so the next step is to get the second player going at the same time.

• Brohoof 1

Okay... functionally, the game completely works now, although there aren't any actual graphics or sound yet.  Sound will be the next step I think.  Once I get that done, I'll be on the lookout for someone to help with graphics.

Ideally I'd want something simple (sprite-based, probably even pixel-based if it will make it easier).  If possible, I'm going to try for the team to be customizable to some degree (coat/mane colors, mane and tail styles, team jersey colors).

Edited by Time Shield
  • Brohoof 1

Does anyone know an artist that might be willing to do the art for the game?

The hardest part will be the ponies; it will need each of the animation sets in two different body types (mare and stallion), with the mane, tail, jersey and cutie mark as separate images so they can be swapped out.  In all, they need these animations minimum:

• Earth Pony animations (standing, galloping, hitting, jumping)
  • Pegasus animations (hovering, swinging)
  • Unicorn animations (standing, trotting)

Other art needed would include backgrounds and menu art, as well as a title screen.

Edited by Time Shield
  • Brohoof 1

The hardest part will be the ponies; it will need each of the animation sets in two different body types (mare and stallion), with the mane, tail, jersey and cutie mark as separate images so they can be swapped out.  In all, they need these animations minimum:

Other art needed would include backgrounds and menu art, as well as a title screen.

If you have trouble finding anyone you could try asking in the requestria section. :)

If you have trouble finding anyone you could try asking in the requestria section. :)

So far, no takers.  If this keeps up, I'll probably try my hand at doing the graphics myself.  Although I'm terrible at art, I might be able to get it to work if I go with simple pixel sprites.

The hardest part will be the ponies; it will need each of the animation sets in two different body types (mare and stallion), with the mane, tail, jersey and cutie mark as separate images so they can be swapped out. In all, they need these animations minimum:

What kind of art are you looking for? Vector? Pixel?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you need help, I might be able to assist with pony models or graphics. I am extremely busy, though, so I can't guarantee meeting any deadline.

I'm not really sticking to any deadline, so I appreciate the help, either with this game or the other one I was working on (Fluttershift).  This one would need many sprites, while the other one I just need some help animating pony models.