What did you think of the episode?  

139 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• That was LAME!
    • Not really...
    • Meh, all the meh.
    • I enjoyed it; could be better.
    • LOVED IT, AWESOME-SAUCE!!! <3

The video I was watching the episode with was forced to switch to a foreign language vocals with English subtitles starting from Act 2. I'm not sure if the English subtitles are exactly what's being said in original English voices, but I can still follow what they're saying. I wonder if the song's lyrics English Sub are the same in the original episode...I'll check later.

Like a few other episodes this season, particularly the changeling one, I have been looking forward to it.

Even after it was leaked, I made sure to wait for the episode to air and watch it legally.

So after all of that, how do I feel about the episode at hand?

Well I thought that it was pretty good.

I really enjoyed Gabby's character as she was enjoyably energetic and really adorable.

The CMC were in top form here, and had some great characterization in this episode.

The new song was catchy and upbeat, and we got some good emotional moments between Gabby and the CMCs.

And Twilight was pretty cute in this episode as well.

I also enjoyed the brief callback to Flight to the Finish with Scootaloo, and the continuity between this episode and The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 5

.......Maybe it's the dino nerd in me, but PALEONTOLOGY and ARCHAEOLOGY are to different totally different things. And all Apple Bloom's apple based sayings got kinda annoying.

The video I was watching the episode with was forced to switch to a foreign language vocals with English subtitles starting from Act 2. I'm not sure if the English subtitles are exactly what's being said in original English voices, but I can still follow what they're saying. I wonder if the song's lyrics English Sub are the same in the original episode...I'll check later.

Ah..found a better video to watch the episode in English again. Now to resume from after the song! (By the way, the Eng Sub in the last video were exactly like the Original lines)

Still, time to see the final act!

So last CMC episode for the season

What I liked:

Scootaloo: Man they used well. Taking on Gabby's plight and empathizing with her over a seemingly impossible dream. Honestly I'd almost say this was a Scootaloo episode disguised as a CMC one. 

Gabby: Cool design and her peep was amusing. Nice to see more personality out of the griffons. 

Twilight: I loved that end scene where she's all giddy about a potential Griffon cutie mark. Only thing that would have made it better was if there was a post-credit scene where she's still working on her paper and research after everyone knows Gabby's mark is fake.

Sweetie Belle: She had some cool expressions this episode.

What I didn't like:

The Griffons: Seriously Gabby is the only one who has any personality variation? (Outside of Gilda anyways) Sorry but I really dislike the "Planet of Hats" trope, makes an entire species definable by one trait, in the case of griffons, being a grumpy jerk and that ruins it because you take a cool species and say that X is all they are except for exceptions. 

What was meh:

Apple Bloom: She was just kind of there. She really didn't do to much since Scootaloo seemed to be taking the drivers seat in this one.

So a rather good outing, probably the CMC's best of the season. I wish we had had more of them throughout the season. (And yes I am aware of Where the Apple Lies plot, it only has Apple Bloom, so it's not the CMC)

Pros:

• Great song
  • great theme (your calling is more important than a mark)
  • an enjoyable progression that wasn't rushed or drawn out

Cons:

• nobody got cancer and died.

Just kidding on that last point, but I was really hoping that this would have a "the fault in our stars" tie in...and i can't figure out what it is.  I'm a big John Green fan, and while I wasn't expecting a super serious life and death theme, there was a bit of hope in me that it might happen anyways.

Very strong episode.

Finally, an episode that Coco Crusoe made a background appearance in. It's been awhile. Good to know he cleans kelp off of beaches. Anyway, the episode I thought was okay. It didn't quite resolve how I thought it would. I had the idea the CMC would take into consideration Gabby's personality and make her a pendant necklace to wear. But a badge was pretty close. Her loud personality was driving me crazy. Also I liked Gabby's coloring. 3 out of 5 from me.

Forgot about the intro, that was pretty funny.

Update: Got a screenshot I was looking for.

vlcsnap-error866_zpshjy0udf6.png

Edited by Sgamer

Gabby was....annoying. Really annoying. I get that she was excited and all, but they could have portrayed that while moving the plot forward instead of just beating us over the head with what she is wanting. It made the inevitable moment where she realizes the truth so much more dull. Then she decides to do something to help the Crusaders flee better because reasons despite storming off before.

Really, Gabby is my only major complain, other than the sheer predictability of it all. The Crusaders were fine, Twilight was actually kinda funny and I liked seeing some new extra ponies. This episode felt like it went by incredibly fast and I think that is a sign of pacing issues, mostly due to the beginning focusing too much on one thing.

A decent episode at least, but not really what I was hoping for.

• Brohoof 1

Gabby seemed a little too perfect for a character but that impression didn't take away my overall enjoyment of the episode. Loved the crusaders in this episode, especially Scootaloo, and it's nice to see more griffons making appearances!

This was a nice episode. I liked how Scoots felt compelled to humor Gabby because of her own disability. That was a really sweet touch.

More than anything, I can't get enough of Gabby's cute little pawsies. They're so adorable.

• Brohoof 2

And another episode gets filed into the 'loved' stack. =D

Not too shabby, been getting a lot more of those during this half of the season than the first. Admittedly, two of those are Spike episodes, so I think I have some bias. XD

Speaking of Spike, I wonder how he reacted to Twilight telling him a griffon actually got a cutie mark? He probably got really excited for a while before they all found out the truth. *Gets fanfic ideas....*

I can relate to Gabby in a way - I have a lot of interests and am pretty decent at all of them, but they're so diverse I never really get a chance to master any of them. I do software development for a living, but I can't really say it's my "purpose in life." I guess I'm still trying to find where I fit in in the overall scheme of things.

• Brohoof 2

Pretty good for a CMC episode. Gabby is beyond adorable and I liked how adult the CMC were acting this episode, especially Scootaloo. While she serves as mostly for exposition, Twilight little bouts of adorkableness is never not funny. Plus, the song is the first one I can say I liked since A Hearth's Warming Tail.

Although... I still can't figure out why this episode was pushed back so far. This was supposed to be episode 9, so why hold off on it until now?  

• Brohoof 1