Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general questions Fan Club Reborn

Light Blade
Go to solution Solved by Jeric,

Before doing what I want to do I decided to ask first.

I have one thing in my mind. There is a Fan Club on MLPforums, dedicated to a certain shipping. It was created by other member, who likes that shipping as much as I do. However, when setting it up, he didn't make any kind of detailed rules about discussion and image posting. It was a topic about shipping Twilight Sparkle (pony) with Sunset Shimmer. Because of the absence of those rules, other members were posting pictures and discussing the other Twilight (aka SciTwi), much to my dismay and creator's...overreaction which eventually costed him banishment from the topic he created. Thing is, SciTwi was never supposed to appear in that topic. The topic is now completely abandoned since it lost key people to keep it alive.

My idea is to recreate it! BUT, unlike my friend (who created the original one), I am going to set up detailed and reasonable rules, so there will be no confusion with...undesirable things. So if any users post something they WERE NOT supposed to in that topic, that would be their fault alone. And my friend and I would be able to share our love for SunLight ship without any problems.

So my question is:

How unbearably preposterous would it be of me to even think about such idea?

Answering this as a Site Question based around General Rules, Policy, and Procedure.

The rules that apply to all Fan Clubs are The same as apply to the forum in general with one notable exception as I will address below. Fragmentation of the rules serves to create confusion. The only FC specific rule not covered in the Global Rules is that the Fan Clubs are not a platform for hating on a character the Fan Club is about.

We are not in favor of making Fan Clubs that exclude specific ships. Basically, if there is a character FC, it's a free space to ship the character with any other character provided it is a SFW concept.

Those are the existing rules. I know you may be referring to the rules listed in the OP of some of those topics, but there weren't created by staff and are not official notices.

I hope this answered your question.

• Brohoof 2

@@Jeric, I am afraid it didn't. I remember, you yourself once said "Don't like a character? Keep it out of their Club". As it was mentioned before (repeatedly, I might add), not everybody think of two different Twilights as something ONE. Also, there are those who like one, but don't have same feelings towards the other one. This leads to those undesirable fires of negativism.

Also, if you were never in favor of making Fan Clubs that exclude specific ships, it means that the topic I mentioned, as well as all other countless shipping Fan Clubs, were never allowed to exist in the first place. Then why are there still breathing?

I remember, you yourself once said "Don't like a character? Keep it out of their Club"

I addressed this in my answer.

The only FC specific rule not covered in the Global Rules is that the Fan Clubs are not a platform for hating on a character the Fan Club is about.

Simply put, if a person hates Sunset Shimmer, they should not enter Sunny's FC and cause an issue by attacking Sunset Shimmer. It is just a common courtesy. This and telling members to not go after other members for promoting a ship they don't like is not an equivalence. 

Also, if you were never in favor of making Fan Clubs that exclude specific ships

We have a rule about that. Global Rules

If someone goes into a topic about Rarijack and posts Fluttercord, it would be off-topic. If someone goes into Twilight and post Sc-Twi it is on topic. Twilight and Sci-Twi may be two different characters, but so are Rarity (pony) and Rarity (EqG). We have never separated the two, and do not intend to. 

This leads to those undesirable fires of negativism.

Moderators are here to address any abusive behavior. People just need to display some self control over how they react to other people. Not everything that annoys a person requires a response, let along a nasty response. There is also the option to 'block' a member so you won't see their posts if that would bother a person. 

If this is in response to a moderation action taken on another member, please have said member file a Moderation Dispute. 

The topic is now completely abandoned since it lost key people to keep it alive

As both Sunny and Twilight are among my favorite characters, this saddens me. I will be happy to help breathe some life in the topic.

The question has been resolved and answered based on various policies and procedures and so it will be closed out. If you have specific Feedback regarding how shipping threads should be handled in the future you are more than welcome to post it in the appropriate forum.  

• Brohoof 1