Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open Markings of a Legend (RP)

P-Jay

Rhetoric laughed "Good sir, I don't think so, I've made my mind and frankly I would prefer not to know everything about the moutain... But thank you kind sir, I appreciate the concern though. However I am determined to go up... so I still must inquire about that hatchet sir" Rhetoric pulled over the jacket onto his frame and smiled   

"...Ah. Well, can't blame a guy for tryin', eh?" He made an attempt at a smile, although, it was more likely he was thinking what flowers would look good on Rhetoric's tombstone. "Gimme a second..." He pulled a box from behind the counter, "now, my dad's a hunter, and he's recently given me a few tools to start my own hunts, but...I can just get more, eventually, you need these more then I do." 

He slid the box towards Rhetoric, inside of which would be a bowie knife, compass, some rope, and like he requested, a brand-new hatchet. Although, it looked like someone had combined the properties of the tomahawk into this hatchet--possibly a type of weapon native to griffons. "Best of luck, friend. I'll be praying to the gods for your return." 

@@DwhitetheGamer,

Still too weak to manifest a voice audible to anyone but Mori, the spirit laughed.

The boy's naivety continues to amuse me. Fuhuhuhu...

Mori sighed as the conversation returned to... her. "She's not going to respond to that, Master Strikes... it's a term I've applied to her, not one that she has created herself. She's in no position, nor mood, to talk aloud, especially in her... current state." Mori paused, lost in thought for a moment, tearing off another chunk of bread and nibbling on it. "But, to be honest, she has probably been through more than the two of us together have been. It became even worse after what was left of her soul mingled with the others... she is currently unable separate her memories from the others and just assumed that pain and suffering is how the world works. Immense power, a dominating personality, and a terrible grudge... it is my burden to carry her until she can rest in peace..."

She paused and looked around. "In short, she is currently in... therapy, perhaps is the best word to use in this situation, Master Strikes? I should add that to my list of tasks to be accomplished. Spiritual therapist..."

"...Ah. Well, can't blame a guy for tryin', eh?" He made an attempt at a smile, although, it was more likely he was thinking what flowers would look good on Rhetoric's tombstone. "Gimme a second..." He pulled a box from behind the counter, "now, my dad's a hunter, and he's recently given me a few tools to start my own hunts, but...I can just get more, eventually, you need these more then I do."    He slid the box towards Rhetoric, inside of which would be a bowie knife, compass, some rope, and like he requested, a brand-new hatchet. Although, it looked like someone had combined the properties of the tomahawk into this hatchet--possibly a type of weapon native to griffons. "Best of luck, friend. I'll be praying to the gods for your return." 

Rhetoric blinked and smiled "This is above and beyond what I could hope for... if I do come down alive, indeed if I come down at all, I'll make sure to do my best to repay you kind sir." he equipped the various items, feeling much more prepared then the bare bones pony he was before

"so I suppose I should start my journey now" he sighed and chuckled "I take it theres an obvious trail up the mountain?" 

Rhetoric blinked and smiled "This is above and beyond what I could hope for... if I do come down alive, indeed if I come down at all, I'll make sure to do my best to repay you kind sir." he equipped the various items, feeling much more prepared then the bare bones pony he was before

"so I suppose I should start my journey now" he sighed and chuckled "I take it theres an obvious trail up the mountain?" 

"Take the northern path out of this place. It'll lead you to the entrance of a cave--you gotta go through there, to get to the main trail. After of which, provided there's nothing to stop you, it'll be a few days before you reach the top, if you're just walking. You can probably find berries and edibles on there, so I wouldn't worry about running out of food. At least, so I'm told."

He sighed. "I really don't like knowing you're going up there. Jus' sayin'."

@

Copper still contained his unamused expression.  "Oh, so she thinks it's cool to bully everyone?  She's nothing more than a coward who only thinks about herself.  What if she doesn't have her immense power and was a mere mortal, like us, especially when she's faced with a similar spirit?  I will tell you right now she won't like it, and she'll clean up her act quicker than lightning."

He shook his head and stood up.  "I need to get back to my training.  I need to prepare myself for the dangers on the mountain."

He trotted a few meters away from Mori and the spirits, and stood on his back hooves.  Then he started punching the air, leaving a serious expression for the spirits to see.

• Brohoof 1

"Take the northern path out of this place. It'll lead you to the entrance of a cave--you gotta go through there, to get to the main trail. After of which, provided there's nothing to stop you, it'll be a few days before you reach the top, if you're just walking. You can probably find berries and edibles on there, so I wouldn't worry about running out of food. At least, so I'm told."   He sighed. "I really don't like knowing you're going up there. Jus' sayin'."

Rhetoric laughed but as he saw the griffon was serious he sobered "Oh... well thank you kindly, but I've made up my mind, and I'm going on up for better or worse. If i may ask, why are you so concered with me? Do I appear to be the type wh can't handle the mountain?

I mean, I won't be offended, because I'm not, I'm just curious really"   

Rhetoric laughed but as he saw the griffon was serious he sobered "Oh... well thank you kindly, but I've made up my mind, and I'm going on up for better or worse. If i may ask, why are you so concered with me? Do I appear to be the type wh can't handle the mountain?

I mean, I won't be offended, because I'm not, I'm just curious really"   

"I dunno what you're capable of. For all we know you might be a Lord of unimaginable power, or a normal pony like you've appeared to be so far. All I do know is that very, very scarcely does someone come back down from there. It's been suicide for the past twenty or so comers, and it's just depressing to see them head towards there and not come back."

"But, hey, you must have your reasons. And I can respect that."

"I dunno what you're capable of. For all we know you might be a Lord of unimaginable power, or a normal pony like you've appeared to be so far. All I do know is that very, very scarcely does someone come back down from there. It's been suicide for the past twenty or so comers, and it's just depressing to see them head towards there and not come back."   "But, hey, you must have your reasons. And I can respect that."

"Well, good sir, I plan on approaching this mountain in a whole new light. Thank you for the warning Who knows, I may think better of it and come down half way if I'm able, but I must try, there is much more then my own glory at stake here I believe so if you'd be so kind to lead me to the cave my journey can begin" 

Rhetoric took the warning to heart, and he'd be lying if he said he wasn't nervous, but somehow he still has his resolve about him and if he went soon he knew he could start his quest and once he started he doubted he'd be able to stop 

"Well, good sir, I plan on approaching this mountain in a whole new light. Thank you for the warning Who knows, I may think better of it and come down half way if I'm able, but I must try, there is much more then my own glory at stake here I believe so if you'd be so kind to lead me to the cave my journey can begin" 

Rhetoric took the warning to heart, and he'd be lying if he said he wasn't nervous, but somehow he still has his resolve about him and if he went soon he knew he could start his quest and once he started he doubted he'd be able to stop 

"...I...Would prefer not to. I'm on the clock, running this inn, and truth be told I don't wanna get near that mountain. You can't miss it--a beaten path near the North of town, it'll eventually lead you towards a cave. That cave is a one-way route into it."

He paused. "Don't get me wrong, I would love to accompany you, but..." He sighed. "...That kind of life scares me. A life outside my little town here."

@@DwhitetheGamer,

Mori was starting to get somewhat irritated with this pony. Was it that he didn't understand, or that he was too narrow-minded to comprehend? Either way, she took a deep breath and headed off her frustration. She was about to respond again, but the pony announced his intention to return to his training and stood up, leaving the remnants of his meal and the canteen on the ground. As he stood up and started boxing, she stared at Copper with a sort of mild curiosity, somewhat intrigued at his 'training regime.' It didn't seem much like training to her at first, except for perhaps as a simple exercise to develop balance. Was this another one of the mainland's oddities?

She stood up, dusted herself off, and packed up what was left of the bread and collected the canteen left on the ground. At least something was familiar to her, being left to clean up alone after being dismissed as a fool. But it also made her question Ice's words. Was he merely taking pity on her, as if she was a beggar or some poor unfortunate, or did he truly meant what he said? We shall have to see.

"Very well then, Master Strikes. I shall leave you to your regime. May the road be ever blessed before you... Thank you for your company, as short and full of conflict as it was."

Using her shovel as a walking stick, Mori stood up and began walking again, humming the melody to the song in an attempt to resume the music where they had left off. However, it seemed that between her rebuke and the interruption by Copper, they were not willing to sing along. Despite this, she continued, allowing the now much more natural music of the mare humming to herself quietly to float on the air. It faded as she started to focus and, moving somewhat faster now, started to slowly but surely put miles behind her towards the village.

...I...Would prefer not to. I'm on the clock, running this inn, and truth be told I don't wanna get near that mountain. You can't miss it--a beaten path near the North of town, it'll eventually lead you towards a cave. That cave is a one-way route into it."   He paused. "Don't get me wrong, I would love to accompany you, but..." He sighed. "...That kind of life scares me. A life outside my little town here."

Rhetoric chuckled, not at the griffon, more at himself if anything "There's no shame in that, the world can be a pretty scary place, but I've found if you give it no reason to scare you it tends to leave you alone." he chuckled again

"Well I must be off, if I wait any longer I'll have wise second thoughts. You know, I'm climbing that mountain for folks like you... for folks like us. So have heart, because I don't know if I can" he chuckled one last time, bowed the the griffon and trotted outside beginning his journey.

It didn't take him long to find the proper path, being small hamlet and all, and before he knew it the buildings disappeared and the lone stallion was slowly making his way to the moutian "...Here goes nothing..."   

@@The Down Trotten,

It was not long- only a few hours- before Mori made it to a crossroads. It appeared that the southern path lead to the village, while the northern half was very clearly towards the now-overbearing mountain that was looming ahead. She paced back and forth for a moment before checking her supplies. I do have plenty of food and water... and I'm sure that there is at least a little food to be found on the mountain. Quietly looking around, she carefully shouldered her packs, adjusted her cloak, and began the journey towards the mountain ahead. It appeared only a few miles away, at least. It shouldn't take long.

As she continued to walk, however, she quickly spotted a brown earth pony on the road ahead of her. She stopped for a second, looking at him from the rear. He had a cloak and some saddlebags full of various gear and equipment. Was he headed up the mountain as well, then? Thinking back to the two ponies she had already met, Mori quietly decided that if this pony was like the other two, then perhaps he might be able to hold a conversation of some sort to distract her from the dread in her gut that had built up over the hours of chanting alone on the road. While her friends had come out of their shell somewhat, they still refused to talk or sing with her- and the loneliness was starting to get to her.

Stalking forwards with the intent to greet this pony, she heard a familiar voice talk- still quieter than usual, but at least more than mere buzzing.

If his cutie mark has anything to say about him, it's that he enjoys conversation. Strike up something with him, Mori. Let us see I am correct.

"It is good to see that you are still here."

Hmph. It still stings.

"Then perhaps you shouldn't threaten to take the soul of every pony who rubs you the wrong way."

With a soft sigh, she carefully picked up the pace until she was within earshot of the pony ahead of her. She carefully stowed the shovel on her back before pulling back her hair and stuffing as much of it into her cloak's hood as possible. Perhaps as an unintended side effect, it gave her an rather unsettling appearance, as the shadows caused by the gloomy clouds in the sky hid her face from casual observers, and caused the remainder of her mane to appear floaty. Pondering what she would say for a moment, she decided to begin with a simple and polite statement.

"Hello, sir... How are your travels on this long road?"

"Lost, perhaps, are we? It appears that a pony such as you has little reason to go towards your doom so casually."

Mori sighed. "Must you always verbally assault every pony that I attempt to converse with?"

"No, I am legitimately curious. Why would one without obvious demonstrations of his skills attempt this challenge? Compared to the other mortals I have met so far going down this road, he is the only one without any obvious physical skill or powers of some sort. There must be a reason."

@

Rhetoric was deep in thought, taking one last introspective before he committed himself to such a dangerous journey. If it was as bad as it was made out to be, then there was no logical reason why he would be forcing himself up such a montain, when rather unexpectedly his train of thought was derailed.

"Oh! What?..."  the stallion turned around "Hmmm?" he cleaned his ears for a second "What was that I could have sworn I heard two of you" Rhetoric looked around and behind the mare "Or is there something I'm missing?... er I'm sorry I think you asked a question yes?" he was obviouslya tad confused and his weak smile only furthered the fact 

Edited by The Down Trotten

@@The Down Trotten,

"Oh, look at the poor dear and his pitifully flabbergasted self! Fuhuhuhu..."

Mori bit her tongue for a moment, attempting to keep her already irritated self in check. "Forgive me, sir, I didn't mean to confuse you... or for my friends to speak out of turn and confuse you further." She batted her mane, which she passed through like the mist that it was. She sighed and shook her head. "I was merely inquiring how you were faring on the road... and-"

"-and I," interrupted the rather surly spirit, causing Mori's mane to flow out of the hood assertively, "was wondering why you were on a path towards your inevitable doom, for you seem as a mere ordinary pony when others sharing the same path appeared to be accomplished in magic, physical skill, or both." A small ethereal claw appeared out from the wisps of mist, pointing one talon towards the pony. "Perhaps a comparison could be made to you being the joker of the court- are you hiding an ace in your metaphorical sleeves, hmm?"

Mori remained silent, staring at her feet in embarrassment, fully expecting the Widow's interference to drive the pony away from them.

@,

Rhetoric blinked and tried to comprehend what was going on... to little avail "Look Ma'am I'm pretty sure I'm suppose to be insulted or off put or something, but I'm too confused for any of that. So why don't you start from the beginning, eh? Why am I hearing two voices when theirs obviously only one mare... I would have to guess there's magical hijinks involved, that or your quiet the amazing ventriloquist" 

Rhetoric didn't seem put off, just confused, perhaps a bit intrigued. 

Ice had been busy the entire time marking off paths in the dirt on the way to the mountain. He had already taken several mental notes on how long it would take to get there, resting spots, and where to find food. "Hm...there's even a few places to set up a possible camp up ahead." With a heavy head log of information, Ice started to get a better idea of what he would need to prepare for. Now it was pretty much a waiting game as he read the history books he had checked out.

@@The Down Trotten,

"Magical... what?" she tilted her head. "It isn't ventri... um..."

"Ah, yes. Worry not, dearest Mori, I shall talk to this confused, yet somewhat sophisticated, stallion. No, good sir, it definitely falls under the category of 'magical hijinks and definitely not ventriloquism. This... girl is merely a peasant, unworthy of the presence of any decent pony with class who knows what they are looking at. She possesses some unique powers that assist her in her task, such as healing and the ability to see spirits. I, however..." Some invisible force pushed Mori's hood off, the claw disappearing as her mane spread out, pooling in midair. "... am the spirit of a famous baroness, with ancestry that goes back for millennia. Royal blood once flowed through my veins, all the way back from when dragons ruled the lands. I am...! Hmm...  The baroness paused, and Mori's mane compacted, as if it had gone from a grand demonstration to merely sitting and pondering. "...what was I called while I was alive, again...?" she muttered to herself.

Mori quickly flipped her hood back up before continuing. "There was an... incident that occurred and then through some magic of some sort, most of my spirit friends are all bundled up into one... being... and got all tangled up in my mane and tail. A lot of memories from a lot of spirits got mixed up... I'm trying to help them remember and relax. But, despite everything-"

"I'm sorry to contradict you, Mori, but that would imply that, at one point or another, I liked you. And it pains me to admit that it was never the case.

Ignoring her, Mori continued. "... I am merely a traveling undertaker, sir. The mountain just so happens to be where I am headed next. I care not about any legends, I merely want to ensure that the many that have died there have at least received their funeral rites and are given at least some sort of grave, even if I am unable to see any ultimate warrior or prismatic dragon that these stories talk about..."

"Which brings me back to my original question. What are you doing here, child? You seem ill-suited for the challenge ahead."

• Brohoof 1

@,

Despite the large amount of information streaming at Rhetoric, his large amount of travel had prepared him for the unexpected and this sort of thing, while certainly uncommon, wasn't too hard to swallow, and the stallion composed himself to talk to two radically different personalities, at least that was the impression he got

"Well ma'am, or rather Madams, I suppose I should introduce myself, my name is Rhetoric Rash, although feel free to call me whatever you'd like." he smiled "As for your" he looked at the ghostly mane "Um question. Your acquisition is correct, I am ill prepared for the journey before me, er us. But I' m here for preciously that reason, all too often the legends are folks of "extraordinary"stature, present company included. I mean no offense by this, I merely wish to state, that the common person needs  a representive... and for better of worse I hope to try to supply." he chuckled 

"Rather fool hardy isn't it? But I figure if I give this mountain no reason to kill me, my chances improve by the second, and who knows I could get lucky." he sighed "So I hope that answer's your question to some extent Baroness" he spoke to the spirit "and clears a few things up for you ma'am" he nodded to the mare herself 

• Brohoof 1

@@The Down Trotten,

"Yes, yes, but there are several flaws in his reasoning. But, if nothing else, Mori, another corpse to bury, hmm? Fuhuhuhu... At least you are much more reasonable than the last pony we talked with. It was so easy to get under his skin. I had him in tears in minutes, and the poor fool said he was to follow us up the path. I predict he'll be the first to fall."

Mori shook her head before returning her gaze to the brown pony with a soft smile. "Thank you for the explanation, Master Rhetoric. It is somewhat clearer, but it is unlike any other reason we have heard so far. 'A representative of the common ponies...'" She let the phrase roll around in her head for a short duration. "That is a very noble goal. I hope your road ends in glory for you."

Mori continued down the road for a few moments before resuming. "I... hmm. Would you be willing to allow us to accompany you up towards the mountain? I would love to have some company. Some that happen to be alive, anyways. And I've never traveled a long distance with anyone before... it would be a nice change." She stopped for a moment before continuing. "I mean, I know this is coming out of the blue, but you seem like a nice stallion, and we're headed in the same direction anyways... If you say no, I will not be too disappointed."

@,

Rhetoric burst out laughing "Oh sorry, pardon me.... Its not everyday some one actually asks to walk with me, frankly I'd be a fool to say no to both you and your interesting counterpart, even if she is a tad rude, but I guess if I were dead I'd be a bit mouthy too." he chuckled 

"So yes, yes please by all means come along, join in the escapade... I dare say if you do stop to console the spirits of this spire, if there are indeed any I may be a hinderance to you." he warned "I have been known to be a bit of a trouble maker" he relayed as they made the beginning part of the mountain with ease   

@@The Down Trotten@,

Meanwhile, Copper was still training.  It took a few more minutes, but he was now going to the air, practicing his kicks...

...until his eyes caught something from a distance.

He couldn't make it out, but he could see two ponies starting the trek up the mountain.  That wasn't a good idea, especially for him.  He had to stop them and make them group up with any others headed to the mountain.  He flew at high speed towards them, hoping it didn't take long to get to the mountain itself.

Which didn't.  He slowed down and landed behind them, calling to them before they went any further.  "Guys!  It isn't a good idea to traverse this mountain with just the two of you."

"Ah, this is good fortune!" Tyra grinned, at hearing Lorec was also there to climb the mountain. "Perhaps we may work together to reach the summit, yes?"

Her grin faded as he went on about Sifana, and she swiftly shook her head. "That is not what I meant! I simply thought she might pursue a path I followed, by travelling and meeting new challenges on her own terms. I meant no offense, old friend."

" I'm sorry if that came off as aggressive, Tyra. Believe me when I say that Sifana has made me proud these past few months... Lorec turned from Tyra, and began to assemble his equipment, mounting his bow and quiver over his shoulders and allowing them to rest upon his backside. " But try to see things from my point of view. I've already had to bury one child because of this lifestyle, and the gods surely know that I would do anything to avoid doing it again. "

Now almost fully prepped to depart, Lorec Took a final gander at the claymore. Even though its mass wasn't even equatable to one-third of his favored zweihander's, the weapon was still quite hefty in terms of weight and height. Reaching for it, hoisted the sword unto his back, and was beginning to take the visage of a small, mobile armory. " ... With that said, I won't stop her. All I can do is prepare her for the worst. I trust that when she finds herself in your domain, that she'll be welcomed with open hooves?"

• Brohoof 1

" I'm sorry if that came off as aggressive, Tyra. Believe me when I say that Sifana has made me proud these past few months... Lorec turned from Tyra, and began to assemble his equipment, mounting his bow and quiver over his shoulders and allowing them to rest upon his backside. " But try to see things from my point of view. I've already had to bury one child because of this lifestyle, and the gods surely know that I would do anything to avoid doing it again. "

Tyra nodded solemnly, biting her lip as she felt a bit bad for Lorec. She knew the story all too well, from their first encounter in the field of battle.

"I understand, old friend. Though, believe me when I say I would gladly put my life on the line for her. She is just as good a friend to me as you are, yes?" She smiled.

Now almost fully prepped to depart, Lorec Took a final gander at the claymore. Even though its mass wasn't even equatable to one-third of his favored zweihander's, the weapon was still quite hefty in terms of weight and height. Reaching for it, hoisted the sword unto his back, and was beginning to take the visage of a small, mobile armory. " ... With that said, I won't stop her. All I can do is prepare her for the worst. I trust that when she finds herself in your domain, that she'll be welcomed with open hooves?"

"Oh, without hesitation!" She grinned once again, ear to ear. "She is welcome into Trotstheim whenever she wishes, as are you! In fact, my father would really love to meet with you some day. He was speaking of creating relations with our people."

With that, she turned on her hooves and looked to the path leading to the mountain, towering in the distance. "Shall we depart? We still have plenty of daylight!"

@@DwhitetheGamer, @,

Rhetoric turned looking rather confused. "Um hello?" when he turned full circle he saw the source of the voice and the brown earth pony blinked "I suppose your talking to us yes?" He was still confused and forced himself to continue his questioning 

"Well sir, I thank you for your concern but you should know I was planning on walking up by myself, and Madam Mori over here I think was going to do the same. For better or worse I'm heading up." he nodded to the blue stallion in gratitude "Madam Mori I shall continue onward, you're still come welcome to fallow of course" he smiled and continued to move onward 

@@DwhitetheGamer, @@The Down Trotten,

"Don't worry," she said with a smile. "Unless you intentionally, physically inhibit me without good purpose once I begin a rite, everything will be fine... Thank you. Let us begin this endeavor, then, together."

Mori paused as she heard someone approached. Turning around, she came face to face with... Copper...?

"Oh. Hello, Master Strikes. I did not expect to see you here right now."

"You see, Mori? The poor child is a masochist at heart. Down in the ground crying one minute, back on his feet and ready for more the next. One would think he'd at least have the brain to not disturb us. But it matters not- his despair is still a visual delicacy..."

Mori batted her hair, annoyed at the spirit, before turning back to him. "Why, pray tell, should we not make the pilgrimage by ourselves, as many before have? To be honest, I am surprised that Master Rhetoric did not shun my company for that very reason..." She stopped, considering for a moment, before continuing. "... who exactly are you talking about waiting for, anyways? The only other ponies that appear to wish to go up that are not here is the ice pony, and he did not seem to desire company either..."

• Brohoof 1