Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you do when the electricity goes out?

Luigi

If it is during the night, and I am not sleeping, I am using a flash light and reading a book about how electricity works. There is always something new I can learn while waiting for the electricity to magically come back.

• Brohoof 1

The electricity barely ever goes out here. If it did, I would probably find something to do, thought if it happened at night then I wouldn't have a fun time seeing anything.

Look for the cause of the problem, if I don't see one, then turn off AC etc to reduce the load on the main UPS, if it's a work day then excuse myself from work and go rent a generator while telling to myself that "that's it, this is the last time for sure, I'm buying a generator now". I think I would actually buy the generator this time if I had a long enough outage.

The main UPS should last for 1-2 hours, then the remaining UPSs should last for 45 minutes.

Edited by Pentium100

I take a flashlight and try to fix it. If I can fix it (like when only a fuse is out), than I do it. If I can't fix it, than I have to wait until the lights are back (or I have to call an electrician).

Oh, and if the reason is a thunderstorm, than I stay on my window and watch the show. XD

Edited by IronM17

Just try and not drive myself insane. Seriously, I get frequent power outages that it makes my normal life difficult. Not to mention that the electrical company is the least competent ever. Whether its bad weather or mismanagement, power outages happen most, if not all the time. It's making me wanna move someplace where power outages never happens at all.

Either play a game on my 2DS or switch.  Most of the time the power seems to go out at night so I just go to bed and hope the power is working the next day.  Though I'm on the same circuit, or whatever it's called, as the hospital is so power usually comes back rather quickly.  The longest I've been without power is maybe an hour or two?  There was this really bad storm last year that knocked the power out for a few hours, thankfully no one was stuck in the elevator that time.

I haven't really had issues when the power goes out lately, but now that I moved to a state where the infrastructure is not nearly as good, and where bad weather reigns supreme, that will be happening a lot more here I am sure, had a little bit of a power outage earlier around the time I woke up cause of some heavy thunder and lightning, it kicked off my desktop and my internet for a bit but really it wasn't an absolute outage it was more of a voltage drop to the extreme than no power at all.

But when it does go out.. Well I will have to figure that out now when I get an outage cause I haven't actually been in an actual power outage in a long time, I have been lucky like that.

But back in the mountains of Colorado when I was young, power outages happened a lot, one time a truck hit the 45 kV power lines heading into where I lived and the power was out for a good entire night and more, that was a pain cause we had to have flashlights, we lit a fire in the furnace we had in that house, and really slept in the living room. But that was over 12 years ago at this point. Now.. I guess I will just have to find out, get the flashlights, go outside, (not that I don't go outside lots anyway) and enjoy whatever I can.

On 9/20/2019 at 6:33 AM, IronM17 said:

I take a flashlight and try to fix it. If I can fix it (like when only a fuse is out), than I do it. If I can't fix it, than I have to wait until the lights are back (or I have to call an electrician).

Ah! Thank goodness! I was reading page after page, wondering to myself "Does no one here call an electrician and try to fix the power outage? What if it's only your house?! If you're waiting for it to come back on, it might not..." :wacko:

Edited by Samurai Equine
  • Brohoof 1

I live in FL so stroms means power going out, also no pony has asked what to you do when the power is off 5 days:angry:.   if it's a few hours just read or play my walkman (yes i am 30 years old) really it's no big deal if it's a few hours but when it's days that when it get's real.  also i have years worth of gun&ammo mazines to read(they sell them by the box for 2$)

Reading books is one possibility though I usually do that anyway. The most inconvenient is if there is a power outage while it is dark and I am not tired.

Edited by Luna the Great of all the Russias

If the electricity is out and I want to relax and get entertainment, I'd just switch to a battery-powered device (such as my computer or tablet) and play offline apps, watch downloaded movies/TV, or read downloaded books. If I have things to do such as run errands, clean the house, or exercise, I'd do those as well.

Double check to make sure that it's actually a power cut and not a blown fuse. If it's a power cut, then I just enjoy the silence but suddenly stare vacantly at the electric kettle waiting for the power to come back on so that I can have a cup of tea. If it's a blown fuse or something wrong with the electrics, I do DIY. :P

• Brohoof 2

First thing I do is check the power company's website for their outage map on my phone. Then I check by my parents house on that map. Based on the outages in the area, I take a guess how long the power will be out. I may go to my parents house and bring stuff in a cooler from my fridge and freezer to put in theirs if they have power. If it's not too bad I start thinking about what I'll need out of the fridge/freezer so I open it as little as possible.

Lucky thing also is that I have a gas water heater and stove.

What I do usually is tidy up/dust a little. As it gets dark I might light a couple oil lamps and turn on a couple of LED candle things. Then I might read or use internet on my phone while sitting with my cat. I usually go to bed early too.

• Brohoof 1

I don't recall ever having a serious power outage at my house. I think the longest one I can remember was barely an hour. When there is an outage, I guess I just do things that don't need wi-fi. I also don't open the fridge much if I can. ^_^

• Brohoof 1