Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pinkie Pie's relationships with others

FirePuppy

Pinkie Pie, I should admit, could be considered one of the hardest characters to write, according to one of the official writers themselves. I've also heard that back in June 2013, some guy actually claimed that Pinkie has no chance of being in a plausible pairing.

But surprisingly, lucky for us, all of that changed a little in later seasons of the show, where as of those three seasons (4-6), she now has had at least two episodes each with Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Rarity, and of course, recently, one with Fluttershy.

I'm hoping that if the show gets renewed for another season (chances are, it should), she should get within one or two solo episodes (since she apparently had none this season), and probably another one with the Crusaders (since Pinkie's the only one who hasn't had any relationships with them yet), but no pair-ups with Rarity, Rainbow Dash, or Applejack. That's all I want out of a full 26-episode season.

• Brohoof 1

I am fine with whatever they do with Pinkie as long as they do not have her break character, by that I mean being actually stupid, and not just pretending to make people/ponies to laugh (like her character is supposed to be). That drives me crazy.

Pinkie Pie's dynamic with Rarity is a particularly excellent example of how opposing personalities should be written in this show, at least between the mane six. As they're good friends now, it's important to recognize that and showcase how their personalities complement each other. This is why I like Rarity's dynamics with Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash, but not with Applejack, because every episode she has with Applejack is at least on some level about the contrast in their personalities. Compare to Rarity and Pinkie Pie in "The Gift of the Maud Pie," where their personalities entirely complement each other, and where we see how they've come to appreciate and enjoy each other's company. Overt stuff, like Rarity's dismay at Pinkie's sadness and the selling of her party cannon, speak to seasons of friendship, and subtle stuff, like Rarity being a little perkier around Pinkie Pie, add to that just as much. 

Pinkie's dynamic with Fluttershy in "Buckball Season" is just as amicable, but those touches are mostly absent. Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie find common ground in not being pushed by competition, but they're given zero time to bounce off of each other, and so we don't get any taste for what their friendship looks like six seasons in. This is especially a shame, because it leaves Pinkie and Fluttershy as Pinkie's only dynamic which we don't have a strong taste for. 

And yet, even "Buckball Season" showcases that the most fundamental part of a believable on-screen friendship is that the characters appear to understand and appreciate each other more often than not. Rarity and Applejack have, with few exceptions, never seemed to me like they particularly understand or appreciate each other. Pinkie and Rarity demonstrates to me why that dynamic doesn't work, because they don't have any more in common than Rarity and Applejack, but they seem a whole lot happier to spend time together. Every Rarity/Applejack episode has only a brief moment where they're believable friends, as the writers can't get past how easily they can derive conflict from it. It's the Rarity/Pinkie Pie dynamic, instead, which is the direction the show should be headed in.