Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should they do a clean sweep on the Wonderbolts? Start Fresh?

Megas

Should the Wonderbolts be replaced with a new team?  

13 users have voted

1. 1. Should they replace the current Wonderbolts with new blood?

• Yes
    • No

I don't think this needs any explanation. The show has screwed up the Wonderbolts soooo much, soooo badly, that for a lot of people they're beyond saving. While I don't think it's intentional, the writers are constantly writing them to be completely deplorable.

I mean sure, fans still seem to like Spitfire, Soarin and Fleetfoot, SoarinDash is still a popular ship, but honestly the show's done jack shit to make us want to root for them. Sure, Soarin was the only one in Rainbow Falls who wasn't written as completely unlikable, and Spitfire actually got a good appearance in one of the comics. But otherwise I feel they're a lost cause. And as much as they've completely fucked up Rainbow's Wonderbolts arc, I'd rather they not have her quit, both because they already skipped on the best chance to do that with Wonderbolts Academy, and because at this point, now that she finally got in, with how poorly they handled Newbie Dash, to the point where it soured the moment, I feel like having her quit would be the ultimate middle finger. Honestly, I feel replacing the current team with new characters would be the best alternative

• Brohoof 5

I honestly think it's too late in the show to make that sort of decision.  Disbanding the Wonderbolts, though morally the right thing to do as Spitfire's leadership has absolutely corrupted what the team used to stand for, would completely invalidate Rainbow's main story arc, leaving her without any sort of motivation.

While I am all for a redemption arc for Spitfire and Fleetfoot after all the things they've done, it seems to me that the whole reason they're dicks in the first place is to create drama and, therefore, plot.

• Brohoof 4

I honestly think it's too late in the show to make that sort of decision.  Disbanding the Wonderbolts, though morally the right thing to do as Spitfire's leadership has absolutely corrupted what the team used to stand for, would completely invalidate Rainbow's main story arc, leaving her without any sort of motivation.

While I am all for a redemption arc for Spitfire and Fleetfoot after all the things they've done, it seems to me that the whole reason they're dicks in the first place is to create drama and, therefore, plot.

It'd be better if they revealed an authority OVER spitfire to correct things a bit.

Like, based on the wonderbolts handbook, the wonderbolts seem to be part of an air force with generals and other ranks, yeah? Presumably this means there are other ranks such as admiral over spitfire.

Have a retired wonderbolt be introduced who's fresh and a higher rank, such as general or whatnot, and have them take over the "reasonable authority figure" position to steer things back-- basically introduce a "Good" leader character over the team in order to quarantine the bad things to spitfire without having to get rid of her to change leadership.

• Brohoof 3

It'd be better if they revealed an authority OVER spitfire to correct things a bit.

Like, based on the wonderbolts handbook, the wonderbolts seem to be part of an air force with generals and other ranks, yeah? Presumably this means there are other ranks such as admiral over spitfire.

Have a retired wonderbolt be introduced who's fresh and a higher rank, such as general or whatnot, and have them take over the "reasonable authority figure" position to steer things back-- basically introduce a "Good" leader character over the team in order to quarantine the bad things to spitfire without having to get rid of her to change leadership.

While that would probably work, there are two major problems with that.

1. The fact that princesses are the supreme rulers and a single city counts as an empire should tell you all you need to know about how much the writers respect political hierarchies.

2.  They already introduced a retired Wonderbolt, and that...didn't go so well.

As far as I can judge from what I've seen in the show, Spitfire's job as Wonderbolts team captain is basically like a frontman in a band: be the face closest to the foreground in all official posters and ensure that everyone else in the group is doing what they're paid for.  In fact, while everyone seems to liken them to an air force, I think that's simply a side-thing.  They're a team of the best fliers in all of Equestria, so of course the government is going to take an interest in them as a sort of home guard unit.

Yes, all my yes. When I first saw he Wonderbolts, they looked pretty cool. Now, I have the opposite feel to that. They think they're all that, but they are just a bunch of jerks who think they have the right to stomp on other ponies just because they are entitled too. I hope Dash gives them something that causes them to break up and start over. I'd love to see a clean sweep happen. Look at all the times the Wonderbolts have done wrong, from taking out Soarin just so they can bait Rainbow in, and then Wind Rider falsely accusing Rainbow because his record was at stake, and oh, don't forget Spitfire promoting Lightning Dust because she oversaw the fact that Lightning Dust was just reckless.

All this is grounds for a clean sweep.

Edited by C. Thunder Dash
  • Brohoof 4

Also, have to say, I doubt they'd do that simply because they have WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many of these toys here to sell.

I kind of wonder if its only the bronies that dislike the wonderbolts, because hasbro's been pushing Them (and spitfire and soarin) pretty hard over the past year, which seems to imply they sell well with the kids.

large.jpeg

Yes.

As much as I wanted to like them, they've been portrayed as unprofessional, immature, incompetent, and mean spirited.  Celestia should walk in there and fire all their asses.

I think I have a solution.  The best idea, which I've heard many times on this forum, would be for Rainbow to come to a decision on her own that the 'bolts just aren't the admirable heroes she once thought, and to quit and find a new direction for her life, creating an emotional episode with nearly limitless development potential.  Many people irl have had to give up on a dream, or change it when life doesn't work out the way you thought.  This would be an unexpected and mature storyline.  Then, once that's done, Celestia could walk in there and fire all their asses.  (or something like that.)

• Brohoof 3

Most of the Wonderbolts have simply been selfish jerks. I truly want to like these characters, but it's about time they get their lineup shaken up. You have no idea how happy I would be to see Rainbow Dash with Soarin and Lightning Dust rather than Spitfire and Fleetfoot, who have both shown me that they are:

unprofessional, immature, incompetent, and mean spirited.

Those two need to either be redeemed or removed, because Newbie Dash was the last straw.

I would say the same for Soarin, but at least he didn't take part in the backstabbing during Rainbow Falls. Rather, he was an innocent victim. So he should stay... for now.

Edited by Prospekt
  • Brohoof 3

I don't really see the Wonderbolts as very jerky characters unlike everyone else. They've had their moments of being assholes what with Wonderbolts Academy and all that, but I don't think they need to replace the team or anything. Spitfire Isn't a bad leader, she means well, she just doesn't seem to be very good at showing it clearly. At the end of Newbie Dash she had to outright explain to Rainbow Dash that the nickname thing was just some innocent fun and that all the Wonderbolts ended up with nicknames, instead of Dash figuring it out on her own, or better yet, Spitfire could have explained it much earlier right after noticing how weird Rainbow was acting, but then I guess we wouldn't have a plot for an episode.

It has no any special sense. There's Wonderbolts. They have main team and academy for newcomers. There's a lot of Wonderbolts!

I gues it's possible to make plot about swiping of main team, but I can't see how it can make the show better.

gxtjQ.gif

At first I was trying to give them a chance, but I realize how terrible they are now. Whether intentional or not, they seem to be very immature, no matter how they try to justify it. I liked Newbie Dash for the silly lesson, but now I hate them.

It really would be better if they did something. I would be fne if Rainbow quit, but I doubt that sonce it was a major focus for her. However it would add a lot more, possibly her finding another carreer.

they've completely fucked up Rainbow's Wonderbolts arc

Really? Rainbow Falls was bad, but I can't really point the finger at any other episode and say that they were seriously at fault - in Wonderbolt Academy, for example, Rainbow brought up the problems  Lightening Dust was causing... and they were resolved immediately. That's better than most organisations can claim. In Newbie Dash they do show a rather... boisterous culture, but that is kind of typical for military units and the main problem was Rainbow's pride.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think they need to necessarily reboot or restart the Wonderbolts.  I think they could redeem them with a simple story arc where they end up in a situation where they can show that they are indeed good natured.  They just haven't been put in that situation yet.

Or, Rainbow Dash could just straighten them out. Seriously. It's like people are forgetting that Spitfire kicked Lightning Dust out for nearly getting Rainbow Dash's friends killed.

I don't think they need to necessarily reboot or restart the Wonderbolts.  I think they could redeem them with a simple story arc where they end up in a situation where they can show that they are indeed good natured.  They just haven't been put in that situation yet.

True. They just need an opportunity for that. (But first, the new writers need to get their act together, maybe watch earlier seasons for reference)

Now that you mention it, seeing Rainbow Dash and Spitfire outflying a monster would be pretty could.

Edited by heavens-champion

I don't see how the Wonderbolts have been all that bad outside of "Rainbow Falls." 

Really? Rainbow Falls was bad, but I can't really point the finger at any other episode and say that they were seriously at fault - in Wonderbolt Academy, for example, Rainbow brought up the problems  Lightening Dust was causing... and they were resolved immediately. That's better than most organisations can claim. In Newbie Dash they do show a rather... boisterous culture, but that is kind of typical for military units and the main problem was Rainbow's pride.

This more or less covers it, and I'd like to add that "Newbie Dash" doesn't show anything beyond the unflattering nicknames, and that we have no reason to assume that it goes beyond the nicknames. 

Well in "Newbie Dash" all they really did was create a nickname for her which really isn't that bad at all. Nicknames are very common in groups like the Wonderbolts, including the military. We have nicknames at work and we had them in school that were MUCH worse than Rainbow Dash's. Our Offshore instructor coined the nickname "Sh*tstain" for going to the bathroom in his drysuit. We called him that all year which he accepted and laughed off.

Basically, complaining that members of the Wonderbolts should be rewritten or taken out of the show completely for something as simple as giving a new member of an elite unite a nickname is kind of shallow. They should be removed from the show or rewritten if they promoted hazing, which I've seen firsthand, as that is not camaraderie in any way.

But, that is all just my opinion. I've received nicknames myself from co-workers but I took them with pride knowing that I was one of them and received their respect. Besides, Rainbow Dash was kind of asking for a nickname with her boastful personality.

Their behavior in "Rainbow Falls" had a few issues though but not what I felt to be enough to completely change the members.

Again, all my opinion as someone who has experienced this kind of behavior in the workplace where a majority of it is based out of camaraderie and/or ignorance depending on the situation.

Then again, this is a children's show so maybe rewriting works...

Edited by The Diver

It's far too late to change them now and would be weird if they did. The Wonderbolt members Soarin and Spitfire has been coming in and out and have been cameos for some time now so taking them out makes no sense at all. Is this because of Newbie Dash? Because they mistreated everyone's precious Rainbow Dash suddenly? I thought that episode was pretty out of touch of what MLP was around but I suppose they had to put some kind of challenge to Rainbow Dash. If they all started kissing Dash's flank the moment she joined she would just continue as a Mary Sue the writers seem to want to set the goal posts further back so Dash would have something else to fight for now because her being a Wonderbolt is already done.

• Brohoof 2

Didn't htlep that in the wind rider episode the only proof they had against Rainbow was her hair..and that was AFTER Rarity found it.  They didn't even check the letter to see if it would be rainbow hoof/mouth writing.. Nope Soarin just up and ecuses her without cause. I still don't liek that hasing in Newbie dash cause it came across as 'oh it okay cause we all do it."

So yeah the wonderbotls are jerks at many points but really Spitfire should have known the 'no man get left behind" but no she just wanted dash on thier team for the games.

The Wnderbolts being as horrible as they are was something that I really hoped would be solved in Newbie Dash, perhaps her showing them humility which is what she should have learned over the entire show. All of that was thrown out the window and instead we got the Wonderbolts being horrible and technically being applauded for doing so.

At this point, I wouldn't mind the Wonderbolts completely disappearing for a while. I want to see a reboot of the idea because at this point, I kinda hate them and I hate the fact that I hate them, if that makes sense. Take them off for a bit if possible, bring them back a bit more friendly. They can still be cocky but give us something to like.

• Brohoof 2

sig-4668068.large.jpeg

/thread

In all seriousness, though, the Wonderbolts need at least something done with them. It feels like more of a gang then a Blue's Angels or Childhood Heros thing. All that's done to further their image now is other ponies talking about it;when the audience was shown inside the orginization, it seemed anticlimactic as the first thing he experiences is not any kind of awesomeness, danger, or adventure,

she faces bullying.