Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Episode you like that a lot of people don't?

pnylvr

Many of the episodes that have been heavily criticized also have people in the discussion polls saying they liked/loved it, so there must be unpopular episodes that people here like. Which do you like?

Personally, I like Princess Spike. I know, objectively speaking, there are a lot of problems with it, but it's so ridiculous and funny I can't help liking it anyway. 

• Brohoof 1

i dunno, just don't read too much into these threads.. i liked every episodes of the show/comic. so i don't have any.

it's just every piece of it gives me the feeling, that i'm not alone.. makes me feel loved.. y'know..

• Brohoof 2

The Show Stoppers, I see a lot of people place it at near bottom of S1 but I think it's one of the funniest of that season.

Nothing wrong with it.  It was necessary CMC development.  It was just rather bland and boring for most, I think.

I think Spike At Your Service and Games Ponies Play are hilarious and some of the funniest episodes the show's put out

I like both of these, even though I hate how Spike was uncharacteristically clumsy and incompetent in the former.

I routinely see people trashing Too Many Pinkie Pies and Mare Do Well.  In fact, I think Mare Do Well tops many people's all time hate list.  I love them both, and I've actually defended them.  I believe they work, and I don't the typical grievances are all that bad.

• Brohoof 1

I really like 28 Pranks Later, Too Many Pinkie Pies, and Games Ponies Play. Never seen any reason to really dislike those episodes. Also, The Cutie Re-Mark gets trashed a lot, but I personally have nothing against it...  :confused:

• Brohoof 2

Season 6 universally disliked triple include Newbie Dash, Flutter Brutter and 28 Pranks Later. I criticize and dislike Newbie Dash and Flutter Brutter a lot but then, just like some cheap korean romances, i fell in love with them later  :orly:, no kidding, i hate them at the first watch and like them after several watches. I dont let people's opinion decide what i like anymore (in the past, i feel gulty liking episodes that everyone hates), I learned a lot from Stranger than Fanfiction and Spice up Your Life.

Season 6 universally disliked triple include Newbie Dash, Flutter Brutter and 28 Pranks Later. I criticize and dislike Newbie Dash and Flutter Brutter a lot but then, just like some cheap korean romances, i fell in love with them later  :orly:, no kidding, i hate them at the first watch and like them after several watches. I dont let people's opinion decide what i like anymore (in the past, i feel gulty liking episodes that everyone hates), I learned a lot from Stranger than Fanfiction and Spice up Your Life.

Flutter Brutter is literally the episode that saved Fluttershy as a character, the fact that a lot of people dislike it speaks volumes about how stupid this fandom's gotten.

Nothing wrong with it.  It was necessary CMC development.  It was just rather bland and boring for most, I think.

The hell is bland and boring about crazy CMC montages and insane 80s hair metal parodies? 

• Brohoof 1

Flutter Brutter is literally the episode that saved Fluttershy as a character, the fact that a lot of people dislike it speaks volumes about how stupid this fandom's gotten.

Fluttershy's characterization in that episode was excellent.  I don't think that's really in debate.  People hated Zephyr's characterization, and rightly so, I think.  (They could have told the same story with the same moral, but had you root for him the whole time, without changing all that much.)  But I don't even care about that.  The reason I don't like it is just the fact that Zephyr existed in the first place.  I feel like it was a massive continuity error, and just too fantastic to buy the fact that nopony has ever breathed a word about him until now.  It also annoys me that the fandom seems to have forgotten about this or never really cared about it to begin with, but that's just me.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I like "Magical Mystery Cure" and "Keep Calm and Flutter on". Other than that, most of the episodes I like seem to be... less controversial in the fandom. I also kind of like "Newbie Dash", which seems to have gotten a bit of hate. 

It might not be an episode, but I do like the first two Equestria Girls-movies, and not everyone loves those.  

• Brohoof 2

Slice of Life. I absolutely love this episode, because the entire time, it felt like a huge shoutout strictly to the broneis, to us, the most dedicated fans. It felt like a love-letter of sorts, and with it being episode 100, it is showing us how far the show has come, because of us. I know this episode is hated by many, seen as 'pandering' and blah blah, but I think one episode dedicated to us isn't exactly pandering, more like acknowledging us in full. Plus it had an awesome moral aspect at the end too. Sure the episode was chaos and had not real plot, but it is the one episode I can freely let slide from that.

Fluttershy's characterization in that episode was excellent.  I don't think that's really in debate.  People hated Zephyr's characterization, and rightly so, I think.  (They could have told the same story with the same moral, but had you root for him the whole time, without changing all that much.)  But I don't even care about that.  The reason I don't like it is just the fact that Zephyr existed in the first place.  I feel like it was a massive continuity error, and just too fantastic to buy the fact that nopony has ever breathed a word about him until now.  It also annoys me that the fandom seems to have forgotten about this or never really cared about it to begin with, but that's just me.

Exactly this. They apparently expected us to root for a character that was so stereotyped to the point of being an asshole. Somehow, we were suppose to like THAT. If it wasn't for the moral and Zephyr, I would have been completely fine with the episode.

• Brohoof 4

Really man that's it? That's just how some things happen in episodic shows with loose continuity, people said the same  thing about Shining Armor and Cadance seasons ago but people borderline worship A Canterlot Wedding.

Exactly this. They apparently expected us to root for a character that was so stereotyped to the point of being an asshole. Somehow, we were suppose to like THAT. If it wasn't for the moral and Zephyr, I would have been completely fine with the episode.

Here's the thing people fundamentally do NOT GET about Flutter Brutter, ZEPYHR ISN'T MEANT TO BE LIKABLE, Literally before the episode aired you had Jim, one of the damn show runners tweeting about how this episode was the one with the character he loved hating. Your supposed to be happy he turned himself around at the end a bit, not necessarily root for him during the episode. He's a side character, placing the likability of a side character over the best characterization Fluttershy had in years is just an absurd thing to do. To me that episode is easily top 20 of the show.

Really man that's it? That's just how some things happen in episodic shows with loose continuity, people said the same  thing about Shining Armor and Cadance seasons ago but people borderline worship A Canterlot Wedding.

Here's the thing people fundamentally do NOT GET about Flutter Brutter, ZEPYHR ISN'T MEANT TO BE LIKABLE, Literally before the episode aired you had Jim, one of the damn show runners tweeting about how this episode was the one with the character he loved hating. Your supposed to be happy he turned himself around at the end a bit, not necessarily root for him during the episode. He's a side character, placing the likability of a side character over the best characterization Fluttershy had in years is just an absurd thing to do. To me that episode is easily top 20 of the show.

If he isn't meant to be likable at all, then how am I supposed to be happy for him at the end? The endning was basically instead of him being an asshole, he is now an asshole that can do hair! Woo! I dunno, everything about the episode made me hate him and in turn, the ending didn't change that at all.

• Brohoof 3

Yes, and it was ridiculous there too.

• Brohoof 1

Magical Mystery Cure is one of my all time favorite episode of the entire show.

It is the very first episode that I felt like rewatching.

It also was the point where MLP FIM became a show that I was really interested keeping up with.

• Brohoof 3

Magical Mystery Cure is one of my all time favorite episode of the entire show.

Agreed.

This was my first BIG moment in the fandom and seeing my favorite character become an Alicorn Princess after all she had learned about friendship was really cool.

Plus, I think the songs are really catchy, too. mlp-tbob.png

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 4

No one hates it for Fluttershy, in fact it's almost universally agreed that it's one of her best appearances and the episode's saving grace. The problem is her dance partner Zephyr. While I disagree in that I don't think he ruins the episode, he's easily a make it or break it character for a lot of people. He spends the entire episode being an incredibly lazy and unlikable turd. Yeah, you can say he was meant to be unlikable, but that argument loses all weight when the episode expects you to root for him in the end, but does nothing to make him earn our sympathy

The reason I don't like it is just the fact that Zephyr existed in the first place.  I feel like it was a massive continuity error, and just too fantastic to buy the fact that nopony has ever breathed a word about him until now.  It also annoys me that the fandom seems to have forgotten about this or never really cared about it to begin with, but that's just me.

The saddest part is that, unlike Shining, who was in a high position of power and an important figure in Twilight's life. The lack of Zephyr's existence could have easily been explained(i.e., Fluttershy and Rainbow never brought him up because they were too embarrassed/ashamed of him)

• Brohoof 1

Ooh, ooh, ooh! I have a lot of these! 

Season 1

"Owl's Well That Ends Well" -- I really like how much Spike cares about Twilight. It gives him a lot of depth, even as his fear of being replaced is relatively childish. There's also a lot of funny gags in here. 

Season 2

"May The Best Pet Win!" -- I'm not necessarily sure if this one is unpopular, per se, but I think it's a lot of fun regardless. Dash's showboating really complements the high-speed race at the center of this episode.

"Secret of My Excess" -- Again unsure if this one is all that hated, but again, I just think it's fun. Giant monster lizard Spike? Great! Love it. 

"Dragon Quest" -- The big one! Again, I just think it's fun, and it gives a lot of depth to Spike by showing how he's bonded with Twilight & co. and come to find belonging where he lives. It doesn't matter that he's not a pony; Ponyville is still his home. Plus, Rarity and Rainbow Dash get to show off a lot of their character development! Still disappointed that "Gauntlet of Fire" didn't have anyone other than Twilight and Rarity accompany Spike. 

"Putting Your Hoof Down" -- This episode is a bit messy, but "new Fluttershy" is all sorts of fun to watch, and that makes up for a lot. 

"Ponyville Confidential" -- Probably the first time I was aware of liking an episode more than others. Instead of focusing on their cutie marks and learning nothing, the CMC have a conflict with actual stakes that I care about, and I find it easy to empathise with the challenges they face. I feel like this is where the Crusaders start to become legitimately enjoyable and interesting. 

Season 3

"The Crystal Empire" -- As an abstract threat, I find Sombra menacing enough, but I really like how the episode never really lets on to what exactly he did to the Crystal Ponies. That enigma is legitimately disturbing -- I'm not sure I want to know the answer. This episode also has a real epic scope which, at least at the time, was surprising and impressive, and even now it's a lot of fun. 

"Too Many Pinkie Pies" -- Not the most fun episode to me, as this is the rare occasion where I actually find Pinkie Pie annoying, but I also enjoy the weird, darkly existential territory it goes into, and at the end I think it really showcases Pinkie's character growth and increased maturity. She cares enough about her friends to endure an innately tedious activity for them. 

"One Bad Apple" -- I don't have the most experience with the issue, but I still think this is a deep and sympathetic portrayal of at least a certain kind of bully, and I rather enjoy Babs Seed as a character. It's a shame we haven't seen more of her!

"Spike At Your Service" -- Fun, especially one scene in the middle where the ponies engage in one of the most organic and natural conversations I've ever seen in this show. Why don't these characters have casual conversations more often?

"Keep Calm and Flutter On" -- Discord is always hilarious. Always. Except "What About Discord?," but aside from that? Hilarious. 

"Just For Sidekicks" -- Not my favourite or anything but it's fun, and I like how it takes place at the same time as "Games Ponies Play." Too bad the latter is terribad. 

Season 4

"Daring Don't" -- Again, I just think this one is a lot of fun. That's usually what it comes down to, and here it's because Daring Do is inherently cool and because Rainbow Dash gets a chance to just be unabashedly excited about something. This side of Rainbow Dash is where she's possibly at her most consistently entertaining. 

"Rainbow Falls" -- Not exactly sure how I feel about this one, but I kinda don't hate it. I enjoy that it tries to reaffirm Rainbow Dash's loyalty, even if it does so in all the wrong ways. If nothing else, it doesn't bore or anger me, but I'm more confused by this one than anything at this point. 

"It Ain't Easy Being Breezies" -- This one suddenly clicked with me on my latest viewing for whatever reason. Maybe I was finally attuned to the episode's sickly sweet tone, or maybe I just enjoyed how it challenged how Fluttershy viewed helping others. It has a good message. 

"Leap of Faith" -- I think this one is exactly as good as "Rarity Takes Manehattan" and "Pinkie Pride," and for exactly the same reasons. It takes Applejack's core values, challenges them, and reaffirms them in an energetic and entertaining package. Helps that Granny Smith is all kinds of awesome. 

"Equestria Games" -- Every drawn-out scene of cringe comedy served less to irritate me and more to make me sympathise for Spike. He's having a very bad day and feeling worthless, and I really feel for the poor guy. Also features a bit of Cadance being just the sweetest, as well as Twilight feeling uncertain about being a princess, both of which are things I approve of. 

Season 5

"Party Pooped" -- Fast-paced and vaguely surreal fun which is most interesting to me for being an actual diplomacy episode, something which had earlier been something I joked about. I like the mane six experiencing severe anxiety about Twilight's political responsibilities, and I liked how the yaks seemed to value honesty over appeasement. 

"Brotherhooves Social" -- Big Mac cares so much about his sister, and that was really touching to me even before the incredible final scene. I also liked how the episode tried its hardest to make the joke entirely about Mac's enthusiasm and not about his disguise. 

"The Hooffields and McColts" -- The only map episode of season 5 that I considered just plain fun. (The season premiere was more interesting and gripping.) Twilight's practically boasting about being a princess in this episode, but that only seems to be because she has extremely high expectations of herself and, perhaps inspired by Rainbow Dash, is trying to overcompensate. Fluttershy is great as well. 

"The Cutie Re-Mark" -- The lightest and goofiest season finale since the first one. It's formulaic and doesn't delve all that deep into its interesting ideas, but it's also a blast, largely due to Starlight but also due to stuff like Twilight creeping on a young Rainbow Dash. Also, I find Starlight Glimmer's reformation really damn poignant, even if the redemption montage is a little questionable. 

Season 6

"The Crystalling" -- Still probably the freshest this show has been in years. Not necessarily the best premiere, but I really admire that it's basically entirely different from anything that came before, and I looooove how it's really just a personal slice-of-life with no villain. Even when there's a threat, deeper themes, character development, and smaller touches like the mane six evacuating the city take precedence over action. 

"Newbie Dash" -- I don't fully enjoy this, but the more I think about it, the more I admire what it sets out to do. By having Rainbow Dash reclaim a nickname used to bully her as a symbol of pride, the episode really evokes just how far she's come, and having her worried about the Wonderbolts not respecting her is a really thoughtful take on her character, and ties into how she clearly boasts to overcompensate for her insecurity. This episode fascinates me. 

"Flutter Brutter" -- I find Zephyr very fun to watch. I guess I just enjoy watching jerks on screen, but I also bought his character depth at the end and felt happy that he turned his life around. Oh, and of course Fluttershy is AMAZING in this. 

"28 Pranks Later" -- Lots of clever gags, and a really fun atmosphere. There's a lot I would change about this episode, but it fixes my main issue with "The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well," and frequently had me laughing. It wasn't mean-spirited, and I even found it rather fun in quite a few parts. 

Oh, also: "Spice Up Your Life" -- I entirely believe Rarity's characterization here, and I just adore Coriander and Saffron. Their family dynamic is really fun and interesting, and the episode has an (admittedly imperfect) cultural flavour which sets it apart. 

While I'm at it, I might as well mention that I thought "Equestria Girls" was pretty charming and actually rather enjoyed "Friendship Games," partially because Sunset Shimmer and the human Twilight Sparkle are both great and partially because it's just so utterly ridiculous. High school motocross! What even is that? 

• Brohoof 2

• 4 years later...

A Royal Problem. It was a great change seeing Starlight Glimmer sent to resolve a friendship problem with the princesses. An outside pony helping out Luna and Celestia is what the two sisters needed with the long history they have had in the past. 

• Brohoof 1

28 Pranks Later, I really REALLY like the horror theme that wasn't actually gory or shocking. Plus, the tension of knowing that she caused it is really cool, I honestly love it!

The Mage Meadowbrook one with Fluttershy and Twilight. Not sure if it's unpopular, but I dig Fluttershy so driven and get working  yourself into a frenzy so much your own health packs in

Ticket Master. I first watched it when really hungry and getting dinner, so now I like to watch whenever I'm super hungry and settling down for supper

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

Newbie Dash was a great episode. We don’t see Rainbow Dash get a solid humbling experience often so this was a welcome addition.

• Brohoof 2