Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Episode you like that a lot of people don't?

pnylvr

I feel like a lot of people don't really talk about Lost Treasure of Griffonstone and it kind of makes me sad because it's honestly one of if not my favorite episode of the show.

I guess as far as episodes that are outright disliked to an extent though probably Fame and Misfortune. I can understand the criticisms made towards it but honestly as someone who's been a fan of the show and followed the community since Season 2 started I did find a lot of the in-jokes and meta humor to be hilarious.

• Brohoof 2

Daring Doubt: While Ahuizotl's explanations for being an aggressive villain are hogwash, the rest of the story holds up. Fluttershy, being the purest of heart, felt like she had the reasons to believe Caballeron's deception, but it takes a unique turn when it her unconditional kindness changes their minds and causes them to genuinely appreciate her. Also, Rainbow Dash is written in the wrong, but she remains in character and never had her rightful worried talked down at any point.

She's All Yak: The most underrated episode of Season 9, and one where the Mane Six and ponykind as a whole really needed. Due to peer pressure, Yona assumed that she had to learn "the pony way" and hide her identity as a yak in order to truly take part in the Amity Ball. But every single one of her teachers thought she was great as is; they only helped her act more "pony-like" because she kept requesting it, and they just wanted to help her. It was one of the rare cases in the final two seasons where the teachers are the ones to learn the lesson but never came off as unlikeable or out of character for it. Also, Sandbar was absolutely great here, and their conversation inside the treehouse is one of the most heartwarming moments of the series; when Yona felt humiliated, he committed himself to staying with her until she cheered up.

Flutter Brutter: an egotistical slacker who hides his fear of failure. I like characters that show hidden depths and relatable flaws. It would this episode that help encourage me to finish University and sure enough I did, especially with the song to help pick me up when I'm feeling down

On 2016-09-14 at 5:19 AM, Kyoshi said:

If he isn't meant to be likable at all, then how am I supposed to be happy for him at the end? The endning was basically instead of him being an asshole, he is now an asshole that can do hair! Woo! I dunno, everything about the episode made me hate him and in turn, the ending didn't change that at all.

Sure he can be annoying but he does have a softer side and has shown in a fanfiction where he actually had a conversation with Sunburst while cutting the later's mane over their mutual feeling of feeling like they would never amount to anything. It actually does show him taking his job as a Mane Therapist very seriously even to the point of moving to the Crystal Empire where he can no longer "mooch off" his folks, simply because he couldn't exactly find a job that would take a main therapist so he settled for the next thing being a mane stylist. And while he got to do his job of working with Manes, he actually got to learn more about other people and be more empathetic to them unlike how he was acting with his folks, which clearly shows character growth.

I'm sorry but anyone who shows genuine remorse gains empathy from me. Heck Zephyr even had an issue of the comics dedicated to him and it actually does away with most of the things that make him annoying. 

Besides Rainbow Dash only doesn't like him when he tried to flirt with him as she does show genuine concern for his life when she worries he wouldn't make it through the night alone in the woods and actually wants to see him make something of himself as much as Shy does.

Anyway I like Fame and Misfortune. despite all its flaws it does show the hard truth that there are some people out in the world who you just can't please no matter how hard you try.

Newbie Dash: the only problem I had with the episode is that rainbow could have saved herself a lot of trouble if she just simply told the wonderbolt that she didn't like to be called Rainbow Crash. the wonderbolts could then immediately explain that it was just a little nickname they usually give to every new recruit. and if rainbow explained that she doesn't really like the name rainbowcraft they surely want to come up with a different name that doesn't bother her. but then again if she actually did that from the beginning we wouldn't have the hilarious scene of Rainbow Dash trying to emulate her friends in an effort to get a new nickname.

The Cutie Re-Mark is hated by the majority? Really? Because I saw that episode as a great fountain of fanfic fuel where each timeline could be its own individual story for those who want to explore that kind of alternate world. Heck the fact that we didn't even get a hint as to where spikes egg came from this episode inspired me to make my own story about Spikes origin.

To me there are no "bad" episodes only memorable episodes and forgettable episodes because I would rather take a memorably Bad episode of which you can actually work with than an forgettable episode that had no impact on you whatsoever

On 2016-09-14 at 10:01 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

Secret of My Excess" -- Again unsure if this one is all that hated, but again, I just think it's fun. Giant monster lizard Spike? Great! Love it. 

Let's just say spike growing into a giant was very appealing to me. The only downside is that it was because of greed. if it was something more mutually beneficial for everyone involved that would be awesome, like maybe become the giant dragon to defend his friends

40 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Sure he can be annoying but he does have a softer side and has shown in a fanfiction where he actually had a conversation with Sunburst while cutting the later's mane over their mutual feeling of feeling like they would never amount to anything. It actually does show him taking his job as a Mane Therapist very seriously even to the point of moving to the Crystal Empire where he can no longer "mooch off" his folks, simply because he couldn't exactly find a job that would take a main therapist so he settled for the next thing being a mane stylist. And while he got to do his job of working with Manes, he actually got to learn more about other people and be more empathetic to them unlike how he was acting with his folks, which clearly shows character growth.

I think you are giving that episode way, way too much credit, but whatever helps you is best for you really so whatever. All the episode did for me was make me feel like a piece of shit for living with my dad, as the episode heavily points towards anyone that lives with their parents being useless leeches. As if I didn't have enough confidence issues as is, then that episodes comes along and punches me in the balls. If an episode is gonna do that I would prefer it shoot me in the face instead. 

• Brohoof 2

Daring Doubt.

Sure it’s not perfect lore wise, as it opens up some weird questions, but I freakin’ loved it.

Not only did it introduce me to the idea of one of my now-favorite ships, Fluttershy x Caballeron, but is was my boy Ahuizotl’s big return. And, as always, he was GLORIOUS!

72412D6C-0EC4-4782-8D5F-04245F1DC117.thumb.png.ba8fa737695e354767e58fa72bea0b63.png

I can only presume they left Ahui out so much because his Flash animation puppet is so much more complicated that the ponies. He’s probably a pain to animate in comparison. But I’m so glad they brought him back one more time.

2A9021BB-2014-49B0-B56F-20956E8FD0B3.thumb.png.88b79a1a7989a67d6f7c3f290a710ac0.png

• Brohoof 1

53 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Anyway I like Fame and Misfortune. despite all its flaws it does show the hard truth that there are some people out in the world who you just can't please no matter how hard you try.

I completely missed this when I made my initial response. 

F&M is horrid for many reasons, justified ones. The huge issue I have with such a message is very simple; It isn't the show's place to call out those types of people. Why does a hugely successful cartoon made by professionals need to stoop down to calling out "unpleasable" people? They could just...ignore them. That's pretty easy to do. The other issue with that is they essentially lumped "unpleasable" people and pretty much anyone with any criticism at all into the same basket. Giving criticism towards a product is completely fine and shouldn't be demonized by the friggin show itself. 

Lastly, let's say you were completely spot on about the episode's message and that is was actually justified, even though it wasn't. Even if it was justified, the episode itself was terrible. They made every character into an idiot, they made the ponies of equestria into a brainless hate mob with no intellect of their own and that goes against pretty much everything the show had displayed up to that point. So get across some petty message about "mean people" online, they bastardized both the mane 6 and..pretty much all other ponies to do it, creating something that I will never watch again. If they want to stab back at people criticizing some of the shit episodes, they really shouldn't do it in an even shittier episode. 

Thus is my two cents. 

• Brohoof 1

22 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

. All the episode did for me was make me feel like a piece of shit for living with my dad, as the episode heavily points towards anyone that lives with their parents being useless leeches.

Not necessarily. I still live with my parents today and I have a much better attitude than he was when he was being annoying to Rainbow Dash. There was nothing wrong with still living with their parents especially if you can't afford to live out on your own in these troubling economic times. 

I guess I'm just seeing the idealistic side of the same episode while you see more of the cynical side of the thing.

11 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

I completely missed this when I made my initial response. 

F&M is horrid for many reasons, justified ones. The huge issue I have with such a message is very simple; It isn't the show's place to call out those types of people. Why does a hugely successful cartoon made by professionals need to stoop down to calling out "unpleasable" people? They could just...ignore them. That's pretty easy to do. The other issue with that is they essentially lumped "unpleasable" people and pretty much anyone with any criticism at all into the same basket. Giving criticism towards a product is completely fine and shouldn't be demonized by the friggin show itself. 

Lastly, let's say you were completely spot on about the episode's message and that is was actually justified, even though it wasn't. Even if it was justified, the episode itself was terrible. They made every character into an idiot, they made the ponies of equestria into a brainless hate mob with no intellect of their own and that goes against pretty much everything the show had displayed up to that point. So get across some petty message about "mean people" online, they bastardized both the mane 6 and..pretty much all other ponies to do it, creating something that I will never watch again. If they want to stab back at people criticizing some of the shit episodes, they really shouldn't do it in an even shittier episode. 

Thus is my two cents. 

I might have forgotten to mention I think the episode could have been handled better if they show more the positive ponies but they only had 22 minutes in order to show a negative side of the fandom and they kind of already shown a positive side of the fandom with the episode Slice of Life.

Besides one shouldn't try to take an episode completely at face value and know that at the end of the day those background ponies are just that: incidental background ponies that are supposed to represent the strangers you meet out on the streets for better or worse. In some episodes, they're nice and supportive, in other episodes they're mean and judgemental, they're whatever is needed to tell the story. But personally, I would never hold it against the background ponies and usually will just pretend that the cynical ponies are just complete random ponies I never really got attached to so it's much more easier to swallow that their misguided beliefs are just that. I would move on looking for more supportive people. Much like how in the Real World I'm always looking for some people who actually do find some good in the Disney Live Action remakes; not saying that they're better than the original animated movies; just that they found something to like about them.

And it was still pretty awesome of Fluttershy to stand up for herself even if her message fell on deaf ears which was the point. In fact her words are the exact reason why Zephyr Breeze's unlikable attitude doesn't completely go away by the end of his episode even though he clearly has been making some progress into doing something more than being a lazy bum. 

Lemon Chiffon": We wanna know why Fluttershy keeps learning the same thing over and over again! Be assertive already!

Fluttershy: Listen up! I am more assertive! And yes, it took me a while to get there. But can you honestly say that you could learn something one time and completely change who you are? [beat] I didn't think so.

32 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Not necessarily. I still live with my parents today and I have a much better attitude than he was when he was being annoying to Rainbow Dash. There was nothing wrong with still living with their parents especially if you can't afford to live out on your own in these troubling economic times. 

I guess I'm just seeing the idealistic side of the same episode while you see more of the cynical side of the thing.

Eh, just kinda how it is in the US, or at least that's what I always heard growing up. That if one is living with their parents then they are a failure and scum, which obviously isn't true. The episode seemed to heavily play into that stereotype and it infuriated. Granted, I am a total failure, but not because I live with my dad. 

10 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Eh, just kinda how it is in the US, or at least that's what I always heard growing up. That if one is living with their parents then they are a failure and scum, which obviously isn't true. The episode seemed to heavily play into that stereotype and it infuriated. Granted, I am a total failure, but not because I live with my dad. 

Again, that wasn't the creators intention. It was meant to be an episode with the lesson where you got to do things even though you might fail. I spent a good half hour making a post on this scene that turns an seemingly unlikable character into a very relatable character which is a very impressive feat for a tv show to do.

4 hours ago, Will Guide said:

Again, that wasn't the creators intention. It was meant to be an episode with the lesson where you got to do things even though you might fail. I spent a good half hour making a post on this scene that turns an seemingly unlikable character into a very relatable character which is a very impressive feat for a tv show to do.

I guess the episode doesn't have any impact on someone like me who only fails.

YEARS LATER...

Season 7

"A Flurry of Emotions" - I think this one is really cute, and I like when this show touches upon the stresses of parenthood. Plus I felt it made Twilight interesting again after four years of dullness; I found watching her balance personal issues with her duties as a princess to be much more relatable than pretty much anything she did in seasons 3-6. 

"Triple Threat" - I mostly like this because I like Thorax and Ember, and I particularly like how this shifted Ember's characterization towards being a bit more aggressive. But I liked Spike in this too, mainly just because I enjoy watching these characters get way in over their heads with politics. Time and time again, the stuff that people complain makes him look bad just make him more sympathetic to me. 

Season 8

"School Daze" - That school is such a dumb idea that I still think it's remarkable how good it wound up being, especially here. I think the students are cute, and I loved seeing Twilight & co. standing up for them. And Starlight has rarely been used better. 

"The Mean 6" - This episode is funny. 

"Father Knows Beast" - I found this one surprisingly moving. I think I like it more than most because I value the drama of Spike never knowing his parents and Twilight struggling to compensate more than having all of Spike's problems solved immediately. I don't like all of the answers here, but what I get out of this is not unlike what I get out of "The Perfect Pear" or "The Hearth's Warming Club." 

Season 9

"Uprooted" - I feel this one has a lot of the same charm that brought me to the show, which I find often isn't the case from season 5 onward. The wit of season 1 isn't all here, but the vibe is. 

"The Point of No Return" - I never got sick of Twilight's freak-outs. They're one of the funniest and most relatable parts of her character to me; I wouldn't go as far as she does, but I get the feeling. This one is very similar to "Lesson Zero" from season 2, but it updates that formula in a lot of smart ways. 

"Going to Seed" - I found the low-key nature of this episode really refreshing, and yet it's still really funny. 

"Between Dark and Dawn" - Celestia and Luna's banter is always fun. Also, the song in this rhymes "absconding" with "vagabonding," which is incredible. 

"Growing Up is Hard to Do" - This episode is funny, and I like its moral about not overestimating your maturity. 

"The End of the End" - Did you see that part where Rarity threw the rock?! That was crazy. 

"The Last Problem" - This is really well-done and full of cute and funny moments. I don't like what it's about, but I can't imagine a better episode about that. 

Other

I thought "Rainbow Roadtrip" was pretty cute.

Equestria Girls

"Rollercoaster of Friendship" is still my favourite Equestria Girls special because I think it's funny. 

• Brohoof 1

• 6 months later...

The Show Stoppers, The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well, Too Many Pinkie Pies, 28 Pranks Later, Slice Of Life, Putting Your Hoof Down, Just For Sidekicks, Daring Don't, Equestria Games, Party Pooped, Brotherhooves Social, Fame And Misfortune, Stare Master, A Royal Problem, Bridle Gossip, and The Ticket Master are episodes I like that many people seem to bash on.

• Brohoof 2

Flutter Brutter. I can understand why Zephyr Breeze is generally disliked, but the overall plot of the episode was something that resonated with me. Probably my favourite episode in Season 6.

• Brohoof 1

34 minutes ago, Cash_In said:

Flutter Brutter. I can understand why Zephyr Breeze is generally disliked, but the overall plot of the episode was something that resonated with me. Probably my favourite episode in Season 6.

I agree if the second most relatable episode to me throughout the show run. The first being "testing testing one two three" where I found myself relating to Rainbow Dash all throughout the entire episode along with Twilight Sparkle

Yes, there are enough of those episodes I like and many seems to hate, e.g

1. Newbie Dash (I'm a fan of Rainbow)
  2. The Show Stoppers
  3. Fame And Misfortune
  4. A Royal Problem
  5. Every Little Thing She Does

and more. I like almost all episodes of MLP, there are some which are weaker than others and then there a four episode which have problems for me.

• Brohoof 4

There are a few for me; the big one that comes to mind is "Flutter Brutter". While Zephyr Breeze can be annoying, I enjoy this episode because of Fluttershy and her character development. Seeing her talk to her brother was funny at times, and it made for an interesting dynamic. Plus, this is the episode that introduced us to Fluttershy's parents and showed her old home in Cloudsdale, which I thought was cool.

Fame and Misfortune is probably another example. Now, my opinion on this episode has been dropping the more I watch it due to it's underlying message, but I still admit that the episode can be fun to watch. If you take out the annoying message, then the episode has some pretty funny moments and interactions. Plus, this episode features the song "Flawless", which is probably my favorite song in the series.

An episode I've seen a decent chunk of people dislike is "Hard to Say Anything". Don't get me wrong, this episode isn't anything special, but I found it fun to watch.

There are other episodes along these lines for me, but these are just the ones that came to mind.