Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you rather die early young or live a long time?

cider float

38 users have voted

1. 1. Would you rather die early young or live a longer time?

• Stay young until death but lose 30% off life expectancy
    • Add 50% more on your life expectancy
    • Neither

So let's say there was a god that gave you two choices.

1. You will be able to stay as an age physically of your choice like if you want to be 21 or 18 years old in physical health etc., until your death but the clincher is you will lose about 30% of your life expectancy so you will die early but you will stay young in physical state. So if you were to live up to 75 years you will only live up to 55 years but stay young all the way.

2. The second choice is you will be able to increase your life expectancy up by 50%

Which would you choose?

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 2

Neither, both options sound disadvantageous. You'd be younger for longer, but die quicker, and dying sooner than the already average life expectancy isn't something I'd like to do. As for the second option, who the hell wants to live longer when you're just going to be an immobile vegetable most likely for that 50% addition.

• Brohoof 2

Option 1, stay young all the way.  I have always been for quality over quantity in all things.  I'm kind of an extremist for quality over quantity.  I believe in life if it's worth it, not life at all costs.  There's nothing about life that inherently demands it be lived by anyone or anything.  I'd much rather live a shorter time but be in my prime the whole way then to fade and linger.

Very interesting question, btw.  Sounds like some gift you'd receive from some mystic as a quest reward.  Y'know, "Thanks for returning my magic stone, now I will bestow upon you the gift of your choosing, but be warned, each comes with a price.  Choose wisely."

+50% armor, -30% HP, or +50% HP, -30% armor.

• Brohoof 4

Life expectancy is more valuable to me, not the quality of body i possess. With years of knowledge and experience, i could learn so much more, enjoy life so much more.

Besides, maybe ill use mechanical body parts in the future, which would provide much more use than my body, even in its prime.

Option 2. If I already have that much years ahead of me, that's more than enough time to last this century and increase my life expectancy even more. It's also heavily accepted that our life expectancy is going to go up at least 20 or 25 years by that time, which would put me around the life expectancy rate of the time anyways. Most diseases and disorders that would have made us frail and weak have wide treatment options or can just be outright cured (possibly even eradicated). New diseases might pop up, but with significantly improved medical technology they're much less of an issue. 

I'm pretty sure cutting down the time you have left on you would put you out of reach from those technological improvements. When you look at it the person who has Option 2 has double the time you have. 

bit of a grim topic but one that i really enjoy. for me personally i would pick dying young and staying around the age i am now. when i see older folks wandering about i feel really bad and think i really would not want to end up like that. we all have to perish sometime anyway i would rather have a young life full of things i loved instead of a drawn out one. i second the really good topic notion by the way.

I want to live! being dead at 55 would suck because there are so many old people who are active well into there 80s, just look at william shatner

And with improvement of medical technology most of us barring some accident or serious disease on the way would probably last a good 80 years or so. Probably around the end of the century it'll be much easier to be active at an old age without several diseases getting in the way and a physically active life.

And with improvement of medical technology most of us barring some accident or serious disease on the way would probably last a good 80 years or so. Probably around the end of the century it'll be much easier to be active at an old age without several diseases getting in the way and a physically active life.

there was a movie I saw where everyone stopped aging at like 21 and then they had a clock built into there skin that would start counting down and they constantly had to earn more time because if they let the clock run out they would drop dead, so time became money and all the bankers kept it all for themselves while the poor people litterally got just enough time to make it until they got more time next payday

I can't remember the name though

I pick none,   ageing is part of nature and has its place and even I dye right now given how life can be and never planned out.   I least say if I go i went down as a decent person with good moments and good friends to my life.

there was a movie I saw where everyone stopped aging at like 21 and then they had a clock built into there skin that would start counting down and they constantly had to earn more time because if they let the clock run out they would drop dead, so time became money and all the bankers kept it all for themselves while the poor people litterally got just enough time to make it until they got more time next payday

I can't remember the name though

It's called In Time. Honestly I didn't think it was very good. The setting was interesting but the movie lacked much depth and the message it sends is way too cliche to be significant, and it soon devolves into a boring chase film.

Option A. There are actual real world implications for me here. I lie awake many nights contemplating the near guarantee that I will be a widower by 60 in the best case scenario. I would rather my 50's be in good health knowing I can be guaranteed to be able to care for my wife without being encumbered by illness.

I wouldn't mind dying young if I could make those years useful to myself and others. It's not all about living forever, it's how those years are spent. If I sit around for decade after decade after I've declined in health and productivity, what good is it to me? I'd rather be like a candle that burns twice as bright but half as long. 

• Brohoof 1

Die young. Too lazy to live my full life, considering it gets harder and harder each day, each hour, each minute. Slowly but surely X)