Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever been sleep paralyzed?

Well, the whole sleep paralysis thingy has been bugging me for a while now, I've been struggling with getting enough sleep simply because I'm an insomniac due to my genes. There are some nights where I simply can NOT fall asleep no matter how hard I try, even though I'm sleepy as fuck. This can be really torturing if you couldn't understand that by now. Having issues falling asleep has caused many problems aside from just lack of sleep, and one of them, the most annoying, scary and interesting one, is sleep paralysis.

What even is this phenomenon you may ask. Well, to put it simply, it occurs when your mind wakes up, but your body doesn't, or when your mind wakes up, but your body doesn't. Though it mostly happens when waking up. So how does this work? During REM sleep, which is the 4th stage of sleeping, when most of your dreams occur, your body locks itself down, to prevent what you'd call falling off the bed or simply being a lunatic. If it didn't do that, you might have acted out of your sleep, and started walking or doing anything else that's not laying down. Sleep Paralysis happens when you wake up, but your body doesn't "unlock" itself from the REM sleep, sounds weird right? Well it happens pretty often. 

What happens during sleep paralysis though? Why is it so "scary"? As we mentioned before, it occurs when "waking up" from a dream state of mind. When this happens, you can only open/close your eyes, you can't move, talk, and even have some trouble breathing. As if that wasn't bad enough, this will 95% cause panic, and will make your body think that you're going through, well, maybe a nightmare? Cause it should be the time when you'll be getting all your dreams and stuff. This will cause hallucinations, you might see/hear things, and they will look really, and by that I mean REALLY vivid. You might see a fucking ghost passing by or just straight up coming at you, might hear someone screaming in agony, though these are the most basic ones I could think of. it all depends on what your mind can really think of. Though it will always be something bad. 

Some religions even thought that it was a demon possessing the person and some fucked up stuff like that lol, but from an atheistic perspective, it all has a scientific explanation, the religious thoughts just make it more interesting? I guess?

I don't know if I'm the only one that has  been sleep paralyzed multiple times in here, if any of you had some experience with this, I'd LOVE to hear your story, and can give some advice cause I've been struggling with this problem for a while. 

Thankfully, not very often. The most common thing that happens with me is thinking that there's someone in another room, so I'll go and investigate, then suddenly I'll wake up - so to speak - wondering why the heck I'm there.  :wacko:  I have pretty bad anxiety issues, however, so I at least know why I'm getting them.

might hear someone screaming in agony

It must be a common attribute to SP. I recall one that I had at around 4 in the morning a couple of years ago.

I was stuck in bed, exhausted but didn't think most of it. Until I felt my chest being pushed down, and then started hearing a woman screaming down my left ear, but as her screaming got louder, my eyes were being forced shut and no matter how much effort I put into it, opening them caused my eye lids to flicker. I could see my ceiling during the flicks, but I couldn't exactly see anything or anyone.

The screaming eventually faded, and my movement came back, but - It's not nice, at all. It knocked me off of sleeping properly for a good month. x.x

It must be a common attribute to SP. I recall one that I had at around 4 in the morning a couple of years ago.

I was stuck in bed, exhausted but didn't think most of it. Until I felt my chest being pushed down, and then started hearing a woman screaming down my left ear, but as her screaming got louder, my eyes were being forced shut and no matter how much effort I put into it, opening them caused my eye lids to flicker. I could see my ceiling during the flicks, but I couldn't exactly see anything or anyone.

The screaming eventually faded, and my movement came back, but - It's not nice, at all. It knocked me off of sleeping properly for a good month. x.x

The reason people have a breathing problem during paralysis is unknown I think, but you gotta remember the fact that you were breathing like this just fine before you had this phenomenon occur.

Your eyes being forced shut is quite obvious, your body thinks you're sleeping while you're not, so naturally it'll try to shut your eyes.

Considering it doesn't happen often to you, you're pretty lucky :D If you ever need any tips on how to get out of that state, tell me, I'll gladly respond.

Thankfully, not very often. The most common thing that happens with me is thinking that there's someone in another room, so I'll go and investigate, then suddenly I'll wake up - so to speak - wondering why the heck I'm there.  :wacko:  I have pretty bad anxiety issues, however, so I at least know why I'm getting them.

What even... Are you a lunatic or something?

This happens quite a few times to me. I first got sleep paralysis when I was younger and didn't know what it was. It was pretty scary, and what I remember was like I was awake but dreaming at the same time. Since I couldn't move, I sometimes would fall back asleep.

I would try to fight it, but I couldn't do much. It happened a few times and was worried until I found out about it. It is actually quite normal from what I can tell. It last happened recently, like a few weeks ago as far as I know.

Edited by Namae

This happens quite a few times to me. I first got sleep paralysis when I was younger and didn't know what it was. It was pretty scary, and what I remember was like I was awake but dreaming at the same time. Since I couldn't move, I sometimes would fall back asleep.

I would try to fight it, but I couldn't do much. It happened a few times and was worried until I found out about it. It is actually quite normal from what I can tell. It last happened recently, like a few weeks ago as far as I know.

Yeah, there is nothing abnormal about sleep paralysis, just your bosy glitching out a bit :D It's common and happens to everyone atleast once so there isn't anything to worry about, just gotta work on some ways to avoid them.It's all just discomfort and nothing health-threatening.

Yeah, I use to have a major issue with sleep paralysis. Every night practically. When it first started I literally thought it was a demon, but then discovered what it truly was.

I was stressed at the time and have anxiety. I started working on things to fix that. I also became more physically active during the day and started eating healthier. The sleep paralysis faded substantially. Eventually, after graduating high school and moving out on my own the issue left completely. I will occasionally have it if I am sleeping someplace new like a hotel, or if I sleep in later than normal (but this is super rare for me now).

• Brohoof 1

I have experienced this a few times and it's one of the scariest feelings I have had. In fact, I avoid sleeping on my back at all when I go to sleep at night. I've heard it is more likely to happen if you sleep on your back. However, I have had it happen when I am sleeping on my stomach as well, so I don't know if it truly helps or not. Although, I haven't experienced it in awhile, I still avoid sleeping on my back regardless. It's like burned into my mind to avoid sleeping on my back now.

Yeah, I use to have a major issue with sleep paralysis. Every night practically. When it first started I literally thought it was a demon, but then discovered what it truly was.

I was stressed at the time and have anxiety. I started working on things to fix that. I also became more physically active during the day and started eating healthier. The sleep paralysis faded substantially. Eventually, after graduating high school and moving out on my own the issue left completely. I will occasionally have it if I am sleeping someplace new like a hotel, or if I sleep in later than normal (but this is super rare for me now).

Stress can cause it, easily. Along with discomfort in general, bad sleeping patterns etc.

I've had it, but only if I attempt to sleep at bizarre times of the day. No hallucinations, I just thought I was dead and got really scarred.

This is the second time someone is telling me that they though that they were dead, it's actually quite funny ahahah, dying so randomly, wouldn't it feel weird if that really was what death felt like? Bizzare times of the day are when you should avoid sleeping in the first place. Keep a good sleeping schedule, better for your health overall :) You won't experience stuff like this either, or the chance of it occuring will go down impressively.

I thought I did once, turns out it was just hypnagogic hallucinations. I went halfway into a lucid dream, I saw wooden planks, I felt my body leaving the bed and going into the dream. Then, It faded away, it was black, and I couldn't even move my jaw. 5 seconds later I stopped experiencing it however, and just sat there in bed for half a minute trying to process what just happened.

Other than this, no, it's never happened (yet, anyways. I'm practicing trying to lucid dream, so unfortunately it's bound to happen :scots: )

Edited by Alphys Hedge

I have experienced this a few times and it's one of the scariest feelings I have had. In fact, I avoid sleeping on my back at all when I go to sleep at night. I've heard it is more likely to happen if you sleep on your back. However, I have had it happen when I am sleeping on my stomach as well, so I don't know if it truly helps or not. Although, I haven't experienced it in awhile, I still avoid sleeping on my back regardless. It's like burned into my mind to avoid sleeping on my back now.

Nope, you're absolutely right, sleeping on your back increases the chance of it occuring by a whole lot. Avoid sleeping on your back overall. On sides/stomach should be good.

I thought I did once, turns out it was just hypnagogic hallucinations. I went halfway into a lucid dream, I saw wooden planks, I felt my body leaving the bed and going into the dream. Then, It faded away, it was black, and I couldn't even move my jaw. 5 seconds later I stopped experiencing it however, and just sat there in bed for half a minute trying to process what just happened.

Other than this, no, it's never happened (yet, anyways. I'm practicing trying to lucid dream, so unfortunately it's bound to happen :scots: )

Lucid dreams and sleep paralysis are very close to eachother, they can occur through one another. My first ever paralysis occured from a lucid dream. There are some techniques that directly NEED you to force yourself into a sleep paralysis and then go into a lucid dream. So yeah, there is a way of turning bad things into good ones when it comes to this :D

A few times, yes. Partly on purpose though, I wanted to see if I would be able to handle it to which I sorta kinda realized that. maybe I shouldn't be doing that. But I continue anyways.

Shouldn't really hurt you as long as you don't develop some mental issues, and you might actually have a trouble sleeping without waking up paralyzed actually. Except that you're good.

Edited by Guest

Thankfully I can't say that I have ever had it before.

And given what it sounds like, I hope it can stay that way.

As long as you try to avoid sleeping on your back, keeping the stress away and keep a good sleeping schedule, you should be fine. Though there is a good chance of it occuring once in a lifetime, just remember that it's all just discomfort and the more you panic the worse it gets, just keep it cool.

I experienced it once about three years ago. I was sleeping on a small camp bed in my friend's room and I woke up unable to move, and there was a dark figure looming over me. I couldn't do anything, and it seemed like the figure was holding me down. I was absolutely terrified and when it passed I screamed for my friend to wake up and was making sure he was ok.

It was pretty horrible. Couldn't close my eyes again for about an hour after it.

Everybody here seems to be talking about how scary SP was for them. I myself have experienced it several times and find to be quite an interesting experience. Most recently I woke up unable to do anything, not open my eyes, not control my breathing, nothing. However, I didn't panic for some reason. Instead I just focused on trying to wake myself up. A few times in the past I've had to wake myself from a nightmare by wiggling my toes and forcing sensation up my body. This time it didn't work so I thought for a while. Then I thought "I'm gonna yell as loud as I can to wake myself up!" So I mustered my breath in my mind and waited for my body's breathing. When the time came I yelled as loudly as possible and in my mind I was screaming. However, the only thing I heard was a particularly loud and drawn out snore. I was laughing so hard to myself that I just gave up and went back to sleep.

• Brohoof 1

I experienced it once about three years ago. I was sleeping on a small camp bed in my friend's room and I woke up unable to move, and there was a dark figure looming over me. I couldn't do anything, and it seemed like the figure was holding me down. I was absolutely terrified and when it passed I screamed for my friend to wake up and was making sure he was ok.

It was pretty horrible. Couldn't close my eyes again for about an hour after it.

Good thing you didn't sleep for about an hour after. There is no option such as going to sleep right after paralysis. That gives it about a 90% chance to occur again. If you didn't take an 1 hour break and fell asleep right after, you would have experienced the same thing again.

Everybody here seems to be talking about how scary SP was for them. I myself have experienced it several times and find to be quite an interesting experience. Most recently I woke up unable to do anything, not open my eyes, not control my breathing, nothing. However, I didn't panic for some reason. Instead I just focused on trying to wake myself up. A few times in the past I've had to wake myself from a nightmare by wiggling my toes and forcing sensation up my body. This time it didn't work so I thought for a while. Then I thought "I'm gonna yell as loud as I can to wake myself up!" So I mustered my breath in my mind and waited for my body's breathing. When the time came I yelled as loudly as possible and in my mind I was screaming. However, the only thing I heard was a particularly loud and drawn out snore. I was laughing so hard to myself that I just gave up and went back to sleep.

I can actually control my breathing and it's the best technique. I breathe in a weird way, where the it makes the body think that something is wrong and forces itself to wake up. Best technique I've found. The reason you didn't have any scary hallucinations is because as you said, you didn't panic.

Good thing you didn't sleep for about an hour after. There is no option such as going to sleep right after paralysis. That gives it about a 90% chance to occur again. If you didn't take an 1 hour break and fell asleep right after, you would have experienced the same thing again.

Welp...I didn't know that, thanks for the heads up. Luckily I couldn't have gone to sleep if I tried!

Hopefully I won't experience it again.

I can actually control my breathing and it's the best technique. I breathe in a weird way, where the it makes the body think that something is wrong and forces itself to wake up. Best technique I've found. The reason you didn't have any scary hallucinations is because as you said, you didn't panic.

Yea, I don't know about anybody else, but I find SP kind of liberating. Very interesting experience. Pretty neat and relaxing. Let's one chill out while their body does other stuff. Meditation?

Welp...I didn't know that, thanks for the heads up. Luckily I couldn't have gone to sleep if I tried!

Hopefully I won't experience it again.

Yeh, just avoid sleeping on your back, the simplest and the best tip I could give.

Yea, I don't know about anybody else, but I find SP kind of liberating. Very interesting experience. Pretty neat and relaxing. Let's one chill out while their body does other stuff. Meditation?

That's kind of weird but, to each their own I guess. The phenomenon is undoubtably extremely interesting.

About a year or so ago.

Even coincided with a dream about the World Of Nothing from Super Paper Mario.

TFW when you realize you actually experienced a real-life creepypasta of sorts.

Hahaha, yeah, some stories are really much like creepypastas but are real and anybody could experience them, which makes i teven more interesting and frightening in my opinion.