Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever been sleep paralyzed?

Unfortunately at the moment that's the only way I can sleep at the moment, due to a disc injury :/

That sucks... It's the most effective tactic, jesus christ. Ah, if it occurs anytime soon just don't panic about it, it'll go away the faster the calmer you remain. Wish you all the best mate.

Edited by Guest

Yes, I have. Moreover, when I was exploring the process of falling asleep, I evoked it intentionally. Keeping my mind, I went through the stages: wake → paralysis → soundscapes → visual images → dream. Awakening just goes backwards.

I think it is very interesting, it is a real paralysis, and in such moments you can understand what paralyzed people feel. No matter how great your volition is, you can't move your body even a millimeter. But in my first time it was fearful so more than interesting. Then I was interested in lucid dreaming, but worry about various aspects of this. And once when I hadn't woken enough, I had got a paralysis and began to think that the darkness devours me because I've broken a law of the Sleep Kingdom. There was nothing that could be interesting anymore, I awoke quickly.

Now I find it amusing. But I don't really understand where a problem is. I know the paralysis mustn't spread itself on the muscles responsible for breathing and movement of eyes. If you can't breathe sometimes, probably, it related to your worry, not to the paralysis. So what do you feel in this moments exactly?

Reading through all of this sounds so terribly scary, seriously, it sounds like my worst nightmare. Well, not only sounds like but it truely IS my worst nightmare: to not have controle over yourself. That's scary as shit. I'm really thankfull that I never had to experience that.

But one day I dreamed I was paralised, does that count too? It was weird and a really realistic dream, the most realistic I ever had actually. Now that I think of it, maybe I did wake up but not fully and just thought that I was still dreaming, that has happened to me a few times before. When I woke up again in the morning I was seriously scared that I couldn't move anymore and I never felt so thankfull to wiggle my toes again :lol:

Can you hear voices from this? I remember waking up when I was about 14, not being able to move and hearing somebody scream "HELLO!!!" It wasn't my parents as they were downstairs and it sounded like it was from somebody in the same room as me. That was weird :/ 

Yes, I have. Moreover, when I was exploring the process of falling asleep, I evoked it intentionally. Keeping my mind, I went through the stages: wake → paralysis → soundscapes → visual images → dream. Awakening just goes backwards.

I think it is very interesting, it is a real paralysis, and in such moments you can understand what paralyzed people feel. No matter how great your volition is, you can't move your body even a millimeter. But in my first time it was fearful so more than interesting. Then I was interested in lucid dreaming, but worry about various aspects of this. And once when I hadn't woken enough, I had got a paralysis and began to think that the darkness devours me because I've broken a law of the Sleep Kingdom. There was nothing that could be interesting anymore, I awoke quickly.

Now I find it amusing. But I don't really understand where a problem is. I know the paralysis mustn't spread itself on the muscles responsible for breathing and movement of eyes. If you can't breathe sometimes, probably, it related to your worry, not to the paralysis. So what do you feel in this moments exactly?

About the breathing problem - I rode: Remember that if you have a problem of breathing, you were fine breathing just like this before the paralysis. That could actually make sense because your panic might give you a problem of breathing I guess? No clue.

Reading through all of this sounds so terribly scary, seriously, it sounds like my worst nightmare. Well, not only sounds like but it truely IS my worst nightmare: to not have controle over yourself. That's scary as shit. I'm really thankfull that I never had to experience that.

But one day I dreamed I was paralised, does that count too? It was weird and a really realistic dream, the most realistic I ever had actually. Now that I think of it, maybe I did wake up but not fully and just thought that I was still dreaming, that has happened to me a few times before. When I woke up again in the morning I was seriously scared that I couldn't move anymore and I never felt so thankfull to wiggle my toes again :lol:

You might not be able to remember it well actually. Some of the experiences I had I can't recall very vividly, might be the case there aswell. :D Don't worry about getting paralyzed though, if something we're here to help out. 

Can you hear voices from this? I remember waking up when I was about 14, not being able to move and hearing somebody scream "HELLO!!!" It wasn't my parents as they were downstairs and it sounded like it was from somebody in the same room as me. That was weird :/ 

Yeh, hearing voices/sounds and even screams is the most common thing. English isn't my natural language but weirdly enough I once heard a girl scream "help, please let me out of here" in english when I experienced a paralysis like 3-4 months ago... It's weird cause I never hear english irl. I tend to think a lot in english tho, so these might actually be my thoughts being transfered into my own mind in a girls voice. Creepy.

Remember that if you have a problem of breathing, you were fine breathing just like this before the paralysis.

Especially because the paralysis is being during whole REM sleep. If one have the knowledge, one won't be afraid at all.

I remember how I can't breathe almost because of my heartbeat (as it seemed me) in moments of strong worry. I think it is the main reason. So what is the problem?

Especially because the paralysis is being during whole REM sleep. If one have the knowledge, one won't be afraid at all.

I remember how I can't breathe almost because of my heartbeat (as it seemed me) in moments of strong worry. I think it is the main reason. So what is the problem?

Panic is the thing causing every problem from bad hallucinations to even that, the problem of breathing if you ask me.

I mean that I don't really understand how the paralysis is related to problems of your falling asleep.

It might occur when you're about fall asleep, and it might actually make you kind of paranoid to fall asleep and make your body "glitch out" and make you paralyzed. Your conciousness as you're falling asleep might be the reason it happens.

So your consciousness saves itself up to the paralysis stage even if you be tired so much? Huh, I just don't know what can be done. If you could hold on to the dream, it wouldn't cause problems. But it is not easy.

About the breathing problem - I rode: Remember that if you have a problem of breathing, you were fine breathing just like this before the paralysis. That could actually make sense because your panic might give you a problem of breathing I guess? No clue.

You might not be able to remember it well actually. Some of the experiences I had I can't recall very vividly, might be the case there aswell. :D Don't worry about getting paralyzed though, if something we're here to help out. 

Yeh, hearing voices/sounds and even screams is the most common thing. English isn't my natural language but weirdly enough I once heard a girl scream "help, please let me out of here" in english when I experienced a paralysis like 3-4 months ago... It's weird cause I never hear english irl. I tend to think a lot in english tho, so these might actually be my thoughts being transfered into my own mind in a girls voice. Creepy.

Creepy :/ Luckily it has only happened once for me. I thought I was losing my mind for a bit or thought it was a ghost.

Creepy :/ Luckily it has only happened once for me. I thought I was losing my mind for a bit or thought it was a ghost.

Well actually it was a ghost, just a ghost that you made up in your own mind... But then again your mind is the thing that perceives and creates, sees the world around you. So maybe after all it wasn't as "not-real". :3

Hahahah, sorry, got too much into it. :v

Edited by Guest

Yeah I used to suffer from it a lot during high school but stopped halfway through senior year. I get them about once a month now which my doctor thinks is due to constant stress. Ah well, builds character!

Has happened multiple times, though I think it is more likely to happen in cases when I sleep for several hours, wake up, sleep for a bit more, then wake up a little while later. Would not say it scares me; more often I find myself to be annoyed when it happens. Something along the lines of:

"My damned body is not responding again. I must exert all of my willpower to try to move this thing."

And sometimes it works and I go about my business.

Definitely happened to me before.  I read somewhere that people in old times described it as a demon sitting on top of you.

Several times, I woke up, but everything would be blurry (even moreso than when I'm not wearing glasses) and occasionally I would see shadowy figures in my door.  Generally though, I would switch between this and images from real-life.  For example, I "woke up", tried to move myself and failed, then I closed my eyes and found myself on my (abandoned) street, trying to follow a guy I didn't recognize.  One minute I was there, the next I was trying to climb out of a ditch, then I was back in my room with that shadowy figure in the doorframe, rinse and repeat.

Yeah I used to suffer from it a lot during high school but stopped halfway through senior year. I get them about once a month now which my doctor thinks is due to constant stress. Ah well, builds character!

Yeh, it's 100% due to stress.

Has happened multiple times, though I think it is more likely to happen in cases when I sleep for several hours, wake up, sleep for a bit more, then wake up a little while later. Would not say it scares me; more often I find myself to be annoyed when it happens. Something along the lines of:

"My damned body is not responding again. I must exert all of my willpower to try to move this thing."

And sometimes it works and I go about my business.

If you experience it a lot it might get  to a point where it's annoying instead of scary, and that's completely normal, seen multiple people feel that way.

Definitely happened to me before.  I read somewhere that people in old times described it as a demon sitting on top of you.

Several times, I woke up, but everything would be blurry (even moreso than when I'm not wearing glasses) and occasionally I would see shadowy figures in my door.  Generally though, I would switch between this and images from real-life.  For example, I "woke up", tried to move myself and failed, then I closed my eyes and found myself on my (abandoned) street, trying to follow a guy I didn't recognize.  One minute I was there, the next I was trying to climb out of a ditch, then I was back in my room with that shadowy figure in the doorframe, rinse and repeat.

Oh that's so cool! Never seen that before, it's like being teleported all around your mind's thoughts, damn.. Wish I had experienced that atleast once :c

Never experienced it fully, which is a surprise to me, but I have come close on a few occasions. I remember that I was up for a near full 24 hours and I finally tried to fall asleep, then I started to hear a noise as if wind was blowing around me and some other things, this happened twice and both times I had trouble moving. I was able to snap myself out of it luckily. My brother experiences this a lot and it sounds absolutely terrifying, especially since one of my biggest fears is shadow figures. *~*

Never experienced it fully, which is a surprise to me, but I have come close on a few occasions. I remember that I was up for a near full 24 hours and I finally tried to fall asleep, then I started to hear a noise as if wind was blowing around me and some other things, this happened twice and both times I had trouble moving. I was able to snap myself out of it luckily. My brother experiences this a lot and it sounds absolutely terrifying, especially since one of my biggest fears is shadow figures. *~*

It indeed is terrifying lol. It's not all just shadow figures though, so feel happy about that hahah, you might see a ghost instead :P

The reason people have a breathing problem during paralysis is unknown I think, but you gotta remember the fact that you were breathing like this just fine before you had this phenomenon occur.

Your eyes being forced shut is quite obvious, your body thinks you're sleeping while you're not, so naturally it'll try to shut your eyes.

Considering it doesn't happen often to you, you're pretty lucky :D If you ever need any tips on how to get out of that state, tell me, I'll gladly respond.

What even... Are you a lunatic or something?

Sociopath, yes. Don't worry, though, I'm mostly harmless.  :please:

No, I've never experienced something like that at all. I've never had problems sleeping.

Lucky you :D

Sociopath, yes. Don't worry, though, I'm mostly harmless.  :please:

Nah, a person can't make me worry unless they have a really big advantage over me, dw.

I've had various problems with sleeping, and luckily I still wouldn't mind to do so! I've experienced Sleep Paralysis from time to time, particularly once a year (it isn't very often, I can say that much.) From what I remember, nothing particularly happened except being able to sometimes hear voices or sounds, most of the time IRL. I can safely say though, it has been FOREVER since I've had a nightmare... perhaps the last time I did so was months back, and even then that was the first one in... probably 8 years? last time I had a nightmare I was 8, and suddenly having one 8 years later was pretty... shocking.

But anyways, I've never particularly had and experiences like the ones you're describing; sleep paralysis was something that happened to me, not being able to move at all, vaguely remembering my ceiling... I usually wake up about 30 minutes to an hour later though. I've never had nightmares, or hallucinations of the sorts :c

I've had various problems with sleeping, and luckily I still wouldn't mind to do so! I've experienced Sleep Paralysis from time to time, particularly once a year (it isn't very often, I can say that much.) From what I remember, nothing particularly happened except being able to sometimes hear voices or sounds, most of the time IRL. I can safely say though, it has been FOREVER since I've had a nightmare... perhaps the last time I did so was months back, and even then that was the first one in... probably 8 years? last time I had a nightmare I was 8, and suddenly having one 8 years later was pretty... shocking.

But anyways, I've never particularly had and experiences like the ones you're describing; sleep paralysis was something that happened to me, not being able to move at all, vaguely remembering my ceiling... I usually wake up about 30 minutes to an hour later though. I've never had nightmares, or hallucinations of the sorts :c

You might have had nightmares, it's just that you don't remember them. My dreams are even weirder they aren't good but they aren't bad either, they're just simply weird. You only remember 5% of the dreams you experience during the night or less. :D

You might have had nightmares, it's just that you don't remember them. My dreams are even weirder they aren't good but they aren't bad either, they're just simply weird. You only remember 5% of the dreams you experience during the night or less. :D

Heh, perhaps that might be the case. Though... the last nightmare I remember was really vivid. I'm not sure if it's relevant to the thread, but... aaa an admin can delete/hide my post if it isn't! >.<

My nightmare was basically a few classmates of mine were in some kind of Colosseum, and I apparently didn't have any clothes on/didn't switch to my PE outfit, so I went looking for a changing room of some kind... though apparently I took so long it became nighttime? Anyways, one of my classmates told me to get to a trailer... I remember it being on top of a small hill just outside the Colosseum's gates. I went inside the trailer; the walls were yellow, and it was surprisingly rather big inside. There were at least 8 people in it, and in the middle there was a dining table filled with all sorts of food! Here's... here's the really interesting part.

Once I sat down, I was about to talk to one of my friends until literally everything went dead silent, and all that was even AUDIBLE was this sort of ringing; the really sort of high-pitched ringing you hear when you suddenly hear a loud noise... only this time it simply remained for a good 5 seconds before ALL the windows in the trailer opened at the same time, revealing nothing but pure, total blackness at the other side of the windows. What was really, really scary about the whole nightmare was how there was screaming; screaming that could easily be compared to something you would definitely not listen to. The screaming was loud, it sounded female... there wasn't a particular source coming from it though; but I can tell you this much that it DID come from the windows, just... all at the same time. It was a monotone type; almost as if the screaming came from one source, yet it came from all the windows... I remember that I saw something at the other end of the room at the other side of the window; I do NOT remember what it was right now, but... perhaps it was wearing some kind of white robe? Pajamas? It was actually really short in height, nowhere near tall yet tall enough to reach the window... perhaps it was floating. I remember when I tried to take a good look at it, squinting my own eyes... is when I woke up.

Maybe I forget dreams THAT easily, maybe it's that I just fucking suck at remembering, but I can DEFINITELY tell you this much that I remember dreams perfectly whenever they happen. I've had constant dreams, but... no nightmares, strangely. The one I just narrated was only "recent", and it already happened months ago.