Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Favorite Star Trek TV Series?

Corgis

Favorite Star Trek Series   

25 users have voted

1. 1. Which Star Trek TV Series did you like the most?

• Star Trek (Original)
    • Next Generation
    • Voyager
    • Deep Space 9
    • Enterprise

Just wondering if anybody here watches or used to watch Star Trek.  I've seen a considerable amount from each show except for Deep Space 9 which I can't stand to watch.  

I would say Voyager was my favorite since I've seen every episode and used to watch in on a daily basis.  I think Enterprise would come in second.  Both my Dad and my Step Dad watch the show quite often so exposure to this show has been unpreventable in my case.

• Brohoof 2

Pretty much raised on Next Gen. 

Watched stuff here and there, nothing else too extensively except for Voyager. 

I have a bit of ire for DS9 though. NBC ripped it's premise from a rejected screen play for a different sci-fi show about a space station, one that would be called Babylon 5. 

• Brohoof 2

The Next Generation is really the Trek for me;  though Deep Space Nine comes close largely due to it's story arcs & characters. Still, TNG had a LOT of charm and you can't be Picard in my book. <3

• Brohoof 3

Deep Space 9 was the best written because it developped the universe and had an epic story.

Huh.  I guess I should give it another chance then.  Last time I watched it was about 5 years ago and I got board after watching a random episode that was on TV.

• Brohoof 1

My favorite by far is the original Star Trek from the '60s. Nothing else ever came close for me. Granted, the newer ones have fancier special effects and are pretty to look at, but the writing and characters just can't compare as far as I'm concerned. The original series came out during the Golden Age of TV (or what I consider it to be) and stands up with the classics of its time like Mission: Impossible, Batman and The Prisoner. And the chemistry of the original cast just can't be beat, even if, at the time, some of them didn't like each other in real life.

I'll be fair and say that I haven't watched a lot of episodes of the newer shows, just enough to get a general impression, but that impression tells me to stick with the original.  

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if people's favorite show was the first one they saw. That is true with TNG and me.

Probably.  The first one I watched was Voyager and that is still my favorite since it brings back memories from when I was a lot younger.

• Brohoof 1

I first watched TNG but I fell in love with DS9.  I have all of the seasons of DS9 and some of the books that branch off of the series.  I really like the design of the Cardassians and I think that's why I like DS9 much better than TNG.

• Brohoof 3

The original series. :) I've seen most of the rest and the movies... except for Enterprise. I just couldn't get into that one for some reason.

• Brohoof 1

For me it's a tough choice between TOS and DS9.  TOS was obviously the genesis of the entire thing and despite the 60s style acting and slightly dated appearance some of the stories still stand up as some of the best stories of the entire franchise.  The City on the Edge of Forever, need I say more?

TNG also had a number of great episodes, usually those focusing on Picard, and it must be said that All Good Things was a masterstroke, by bringing the entire series back round on itself and ending where it started it closed the loop beautifully and elevated the series from being a succession of short stories into something rather greater.

DS9 on the other hand took a very different approach to both of the series that came before, mostly by ripping off Babylon 5 and introducing a coherent storyline that spanned the entire run of the series.  I loved the way that the Dominion was subtly introduced from early on, and then gradually brought to the fore (much in the same way that the Shadows were introduced in Babylon 5).

Voyager shot itself in the foot from the outset by setting up a whole load of conflict that held great promise for later in the series but then resolved it all by the end of the pilot episode.  I have seen quite a lot of it, but have yet to watch it all the way through (it's on my Netflix list).

Enterprise was okay, but did suffer from the standard illness of all prequels in that it messed up a lot of the established canon, for example, by introducing the Borg when they had not been encountered previously until Q Who? in TNG.

Bottom line, I think TOS is my favourite series, but DS9 was probably the best series.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 2

@Concerned Bystander Good analysis but I don't agree with The City On The Edge Of Forever being the best. I mean, it's good, but one of many good episodes.

I do agree that Enterprise broke canon with the Borg. They did that with the Romulan cloaking device too. In TOS Balance of Terror, the cloak was a new thing. But the Romulans had it 100 years before?

• Brohoof 2

Wait what?  The Borg were in Enterprise?  I don't remember that at all but the last time I watched most of those episodes was about 8 years ago so I guess I don't remember it that well.