Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Youtube Heroes Program

Nit Pick

So YouTube is trying to step up their game with giving the people (with YouTube accounts whether you actively upload or not) the chance to be a 'hero'.

However it involves reporting comments that would make social justice warriors proud. Not that it's a bad thing mind you. One needs to make accurate reports of malicious comments or one would not receive points. Even if you have to agree to fight 'micro-aggressions' as Google's Anti-Harassment Policy dictates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh_1966vaIA

So that makes me wonder, did anyone else heard about it? Did you already sign up for it? Do you think this is going to go more haywire than Johnny 5 caught in a rain storm? As a YouTuber would say "let me know in the comments".

I can see where they're trying to go with this, so I'll go through the pros before I get to the obvious cons.  I can understand that Youtube is really trying hard to find a way to police its content.  Its automated systems are incredibly flawed, and actually having a physical human being reviewing these tickets is much better than the alternative.

However, the problems arise when you have an Anti-Harassment policy as vague as Youtube's.  I can't say this WILL happen, but I would like assurance that comments or videos won't get flagged for harassment by overzealous "heroes" simply because they provide a harsh criticism of others' ideas.  Until such a time as Youtube actually defines what is and isn't harassment, I will continue to look upon this idea with skepticism.

• Brohoof 3

With how toxic the YouTube community is in general, I just don't see this working as well as they hope. I mean, I can see the positives to this system if it worked well, but we all know that this has the recipes to be a disaster waiting to happen. Could this system be easily abused? Only time will tell I guess. Sounds like a 'moderators for hire' kind of deal.

• Brohoof 2

This is a dreadful idea. It's as if google is trying to see how much worse they can make Youtube. This won't lead to improving conditions on the site, it's going to lead to spite reporting. This is just a cost saving method so they can continue to make the site shitty without having to pay anyone. I am with @@Kyoshi, on this one. That community is far too toxic to let people moderate it.

On top of that, Youtube has money move hands. It's a career for some people. It's not a good idea to give unpaid fans the power to harm people's actual careers and revenue streams. I predict PewDiePie will get tons of false flags within the first week. This is such a terrible idea. This will turn YT into a place where whoever screams the loudest now gets their way. You give SJWs a chance to police content, and before you know it, it'll be an SJW playground.

Edited by Guest

This could turn out to be an absolutely disastrous idea. Rewarding random users for mass-flagging posts is just asking for trouble. Considering YouTube's "remove/ban first, ask questions later" policy of content removal, we could be seeing a large influx of false flags, or people flagging videos & comments they simply disagree with even if they don't break any community guidelines.

Furthermore, the video is strangely vague. Video chats with fellow heroes? "Unlock super tools"? What's all this supposed to even mean?

• Brohoof 1

This could turn out to be an absolutely disastrous idea. Rewarding random users for mass-flagging posts is just asking for trouble. Considering YouTube's "remove/ban first, ask questions later" policy of content removal, we could be seeing a large influx of false flags, or people flagging videos & comments they simply disagree with even if they don't break any community guidelines.

Furthermore, the video is strangely vague. Video chats with fellow heroes? "Unlock super tools"? What's all this supposed to even mean?

Perhaps it's time the videos from YouTube's own official channels start getting mass-flagged.

Edited by A.V.

this is a laughable and horrible idea massive flagging abuse to get points ???? .....i predict youtube is going to be half useful next year....but as of now i am still going to be doing youtube next 2 weeks...imagine all of the gaming channels being flagged because they are better then you  LOL!

Because giving people incentives to flag videos will NEVER lead to them flagging videos that don't deserve it.

I think this whole thing is stupid. It's one thing to give people the ability to report videos, but giving them incentives will just lead to abuse of power.

• Brohoof 1

The choice is absolute garbage. Ruining careers is the way to become a hero apparently, good on that youtube! Haters will literally flag every video they find and just shut down the channel even if it's not something inappropriate and become "Heroes" for it. LOL

The choice is absolute garbage. Ruining careers is the way to become a hero apparently, good on that youtube! Haters will literally flag every video they find and just shut down the channel even if it's not something inappropriate and become "Heroes" for it. LOL

Because giving people incentives to flag videos will NEVER lead to them flagging videos that don't deserve it.

I think this whole thing is stupid. It's one thing to give people the ability to report videos, but giving them incentives will just lead to abuse of power.

I'm especially worried about how there are "rewards" for doing it more. Considering a lot of people have always felt that Youtube isn't a "real" career, I can see jealousy playing a huge role in this.

I'm especially worried about how there are "rewards" for doing it more. Considering a lot of people have always felt that Youtube isn't a "real" career, I can see jealousy playing a huge role in this.

Exactly, they get rewarded for doing nothing but hating on people and ruining their lives, like what even... Literally hate and jealousy is going to be all there is to youtube if this goes through.

I only see the incredible amount of abuse that will come out of this. White knights, SJW's, trolls and other assorted idiots will break this system down by flagging the hell out of all the videos of any YouTuber they don't like. I'm pretty sure tons of them will go after the high profile people like PewDiePie, Markiplier, JackSepticEye and others, which will probably amount to nothing in the end, but the ones going after smaller channels might really ruin people's chances of making it on YouTube. Speaking as someone who admires people trying to make a living off YouTube, I can't say this new system feels right. The salty masses are going to fuck this up for everyone, ultimately leading to ever increasing policing of all the content in a vain effort to curb the trolls. I'm increasingly thinking that the execs at Google have simply said, 'Fuck it' and left the community to tear itself apart.