Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What makes people think Spice Up Your Life is racist?

KillerKingBakudan

Hehe, heheheeee, as always, looking for racism where there's no racism  :orly:. You know? I think we should call these people: "Racism Hunters"   :lol:

Edited by Steve Piranha

I didn't realize that it was YOUR job to decide what other people can or cannot consider racist.

It's not, but these people ALWAYS seek racism in where there's not. It would be like I'd be making a public rant of racism against hispanic (I'm hispanic BTW) if I see a caucasian or african descendant person eating tacos or something, or trying to practice his/her spanish or something. You know what's funnier? according to these people, caucasian are ALWAYS the racist, or causing the "racist" moments :dash:

Oh for Buck's sake.

Y'all were SO FLUMMOXED trying to figure out how it could possibly be racist. The Colonial narrative, where the Noble Whitey swoops in to save the day because the resident darkies just can't figure it out is one example. Just ONE possible interpretation that a person may feel denigrates them.

Now, since I personally liked the ep just fine, harping at me about how "but the majority was failing too" and "so saying the act of needing help is racist" and all that other whining petulant apologist shit... well look at that, some of y'all found the interpretation I posted offensive. Huh. Interesting. Couldn't POSSIBLY be the point I was driving at about dictating what other people are allowed to dislike or be offended by. Nope.

That colonial narrative is honestly always around though. I would say how the majority of shows, books, games and movies showing white people as the heroes and the most competent people is actually pretty racist in general. This episode though wasn't racist but is just a small part of that narrative. Yes almost always they have white villains as well but white villains are also shown in a more badass and competent way as well as being the mastermind than the goons.

Coriander and Saffron have white voice actors. Those are not their actual voices. Do you see the problem? 

They could've got Bollywood actors to voice these Coriander and Saffron characters in the first place...I mean that's whitewashing, right?

They could've got Bollywood actors to voice these Coriander and Saffron characters in the first place...I mean that's whitewashing, right?

It's a little questionable at best, especially when you have people doing fake accents.