What did you think of the episode?  

165 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No; that was a travesty...
    • No...not really.
    • Meh, the meh is real.
    • I enjoyed it; could've been better.
    • THAT WAS AN AWESOME EPISODE!!!

This was an interesting episode I liked it, also good to keep in mind don't use magic on your friends still Starlight's magic is impressive wonder when she'll be promoted to an alicorn she did mix that magic not creating one new entirely but she likely could pull it off. 

Starlight once again proves she knows more magic than Twilight and she still doesn't realize that using magic to control others is frowned upon. So overall great episode  ^_^

I also enjoyed the anti equal sign in Starlight's room. 

• Brohoof 2

I have lately been into the 'could have been better' group but not this time. I started liking Starlight more with every next episode, since I saw her powers in the Season 5 finale and using them for good in Season 6. An episode centered around her is something that I was waiting to come with interest! For me this episode has been great so once again great job by M Vogel for a SG episode! (Unlike his 'A hearth's warming tail' that was a bit boring). I know why some didn't like it that much - probably because of the resolution coming too quickly or not in some better way but I have no problem with how it was served.

What is the best part? I loved the spells and this attack-defense training they did, wow, SG actually is more powerful than Twilight in spells - confirmed again! So much magic display during these first minutes:

post-37448-0-93791200-1474761928_thumb.jpg

At first this looked like Cap America's but psionic shield

post-37448-0-22705600-1474761424_thumb.jpg

You sure are on fire Starlight! Mirror Image, Teleport, Mind Control, so powerful SG!

Then the episodes delves into a more regular type (haven't seen such type from master effects to a normal episode transition, this is unique way and done in a good way). What I thought was she was going to create mirrors of the Mane 6 I later realized that her friends were really mind controlled, which I find funny - she can still do whatever she wants heh. Now some will say (how horrible she is - doing magic on her friends = insta bad episode). Not really, but if some really think she should have learnt the lesson not to do that, mirrors of the Mane 6 would've been better. Still it was good, other than the out of control things, I dont have more to add.

She explained well, I don't think the episode needed more of the explanation-forgive her part, so that's why a 5/5 from me.

Edited by ImpctR
  • Brohoof 4

Okay, I'm finally watching the episode.

Glad to see that Starlight's doing pretty well with her magical talent; that we see she's got her own room; and is that a framed picture of a "No = Cutie Marks" on her wall? It is. Nice touch.

But, what's this?, She hasn't made any new friends since Trixie? Come on, Starlight! You gotta make some progress!

• Brohoof 3

Off-topic, but I want an episode where Spike introduces Starlight to Oubliettes and Ogres. 

What really should have happened is Starlight should have appeared in "Dungeons and Discords," even if it was just a few cameos.

The main flaw in this entire episode is the pacing. There was a full act of Starlight REALLY screwing up, but her remedy is more confined to a montage. Yes, the audience sees Starlight apologizing and then making it up to them by fixing everything. Unfortunately, you only see bits of her working, and their relationships are camouflaged by music playing in the foreground. Therefore, it feels less rewarding when Starlight fixes everything.

I do feel it was a bit rushed at the end. The mind control parts could have been cut back a few minutes in order to allow them to do something more substantial than yet another montage. I would have been disappointed however if Twilight had showed up at the very end of the episode with everything already resolved. I liked seeing her in her teacher role, and it seems like they've been trying to do that for her character even though the amount of focus it's been given is paltry. It was interesting to hear the echos of her mentor, Celestia, when Twilight told Starlight she was very disappointed in her for using magic to solve a problem.

• Brohoof 6

Yay! More Spike and Starlight interactions! ^_^

Plus this line from Spike took the words out of my mouth: "And I thought Twilight was the Master of Freakouts!" :lol:

Hey, are those raccoons with Fluttershy the same ones that were living in Rarity's Manehatten Boutique? They are!

I'm at the start of Act 2 and I'm already predicting a Sorcerer's Apprentice plot from this episode. Starlight is like Mickey, Twilight is like Yen Sid, and the Mane 5 are the brooms that won't stop. Let's see if my prediction is right...

• Brohoof 1

The Mane 5 had become total "Yes Ponies" with no thinking whatsoever! How the voice actors managed to say their lines in a trance-like state without cracking up must be an achievement! :lol:

Well! Trance Pinkie did turned out like the broom from Sorcerer's Apprentice: Keeps doing her task without knowing when to stop!

Trance Rarity made a drawing of the desired dress and had to be told to make one out of fabric?! Yup, no common sense when you're in a trance like this! 

Trance Fluttershy gathering all the animals, including snakes and bugs?! ICK!!!

Trance Applejack: It was the best of apples, it was the worst of apples

Me: What is this? "A Tale of Two Apples?"

When water is needed to put out an overburning oven, Trance Rainbow gather a whole storm of clouds?! I was right! This IS essentially what happened to Mickey Mouse when he used the Sorcerer's Hat on the brooms! Call it!

A rooftop spa? This castle's got everything!

• Brohoof 2

Spike has grown from the character everybody makes fun of because we hated him, to one of the best characters in the show. Even this episode, I laughed at both his lines. Like when he was writhing at Fluttershy putting the spiders BACK UP. Like why, lol?

Little subtlees like that make episodes for me.

• Brohoof 6

Spike has grown from the character everybody makes fun of because we hated him, to one of the best characters in the show. Even this episode, I laughed at both his lines. Like when he was writhing at Fluttershy putting the spiders BACK UP. Like why, lol?

Little subtlees like that make episodes for me.

Hey all our complaining finally paid off, huh? Dog and Pony Show taught us well! ;)

• Brohoof 4

So...there are dark and creepy catacombs under Twilight's castle. Also, perhaps Starlight should be kept in a room with magic suppressing qualities for her own protection. J/K, but she really is lacking in social skills if she thinks mind control is the answer to everything. It did make for a fun episode though so I'm cool with the latest developments. I suppose confirmation that Starlight wasn't killed in a magic lesson or something probably would have sufficed since she's never around, but I'm all for a fun episode full of magic hijinks. I do think Twilight ought to have a tighter leash on her student though...

• Brohoof 5

Not too bad.  All in all, I'm quite pleased.

Loved the intro.  The combat training was a blast.  I was so pleased that Starlight cleaned up the library, too.  (I was going to be really miffed if they just left it after the cold open and didn't show her tiding up the mess she caused.)  Starlight is Quicksilver!  It would have been really awesome if they'd done the whole Time in a Bottle scene with her cleaning the library, but I suppose that would have been taking the parody thing a little too far.

Great premise.  I'm actually really glad that the whole episode took place in the castle, as it feel like we've seen very little of it.  In comparison, and proportionally, it feels like we saw a lot more of the Golden Oak Library.  It almost feels like they've been avoiding the castle.  I've been waiting for another whole episode to take place there, so I enjoyed this.  I'm also glad we had a good amount of Twilight, as we haven't really seen that much of her this season.

I was pretty shocked that Starlight actually thought it was acceptable to mind control her friends.  That was pretty insane.  It was interesting and believable to have Starlight revert back to her old habits, but I still can't believe she thought it was okay to take it that far.  I was sort of brooding during that act because I was afraid that they were going to let the whole thing slide without any consequences.  It really turned around when Twilight got home.  I was thrilled that Twilight actually got angry and chewed Starlight out a bit.  I'm glad the others were mad at her for a bit as well.  The resolution was really well done, and I was very pleased with the characterization and messages in the final act.  I only wish that they had spent less time on Starlight's f*ckup and more time on the resolution.

The main flaw in this entire episode is the pacing. There was a full act of Starlight REALLY screwing up, but her remedy is more confined to a montage. Yes, the audience sees Starlight apologizing and then making it up to them by fixing everything. Unfortunately, you only see bits of her working, and their relationships are camouflaged by music playing in the foreground. Therefore, it feels less rewarding when Starlight fixes everything.

Exactly.  And I liked your proposed solution, too.  That would have been great.  I liked how they resolved it, but they just needed to showcase it more.

I could definitely relate to Starlight's struggle, though, as I have social anxiety and find simple social tasks terrifying, while more difficult, complex things done on my own come easily.  Making friends, and even doing things with friends you already have, can be very difficult, and sometimes seemingly impossible, for many.  It was a very relatable feeling.

I was very pleased with Twilight's characterization in particular.  A few people, including myself, have noted that she's seemed a bit dumb on more than on occasion this season.  She was perfect in this episode, though.  Mature and wise, but still herself.  She's not Celestia or anything, but she's definitely growing into the teacher and mentor role more, and it was done quite nicely here.

Did anyone else notice the continued trend of Spike being at his best and most mature when he's in a supporting character role?  Just like in The Crystaling, Spike seems to be in top form when he's trying to help Starlight.  In many of his own spotlights, he's had a habit of weaseling out of things, being immature, selfish, or irresponsible, but when he's helping Starlight, he's mature, wise, and direct.  (I also loved his line, "Keep tellin' yourself that.")

I liked seeing Starlight's room.  The equals sign in the circle and slash was a nice touch, as was the portrait of Trixie.  Rainbow and her chillaxing was adorable, and I loved how Starlight just couldn't simmer down and understand the concept.  That patio with the magical, circular waterfall looks like the best freakin' place in the world.  I want to chillax there with them.

Yay, references!

• Braveheart
  • A Tale of Two Cities
  • Stephanie Lazytown, Cooking by the Book?!  Did I really hear that?  (I hate myself for knowing that.)
  • Brohoof 4

Not sure I've ever had as many mixed feelings about an episode as I do about this episode. Even after writing a full review of it, I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Starlight is becoming less and less sympathetic with every appearance, and as far as I can tell, that's by design, but although she's becoming increasingly complex as a character, she doesn't have a lot of endearing traits to latch on to, or even much in the way of redeeming qualities. It's made a little easier by the fact that I find that a lot of this episode isn't especially entertaining, and then harder again by the fact that I really respect its stabs at character development. It does so much which is interesting and satisfying, but every one of those things has a caveat. 

Full review on my offsite blog, as always, but I don't think I'm done with this one. 

Additional thoughts:

Twilight's mentor role being dull is so unexceptional at this point that it's not even worth mentioning, but I need to get it off my chest somewhere. I thought having a student would allow the writers to delve further into her anxieties about all of her new responsibilities, but honestly, aside from needing to let Starlight do her own thing - something which this episode kinda calls into question - she seems awfully confident about all of this. I swear that the writers are squandering every opportunity to make Twilight's life changes meaningful and make her interesting as a character again. At least she didn't have a strong role in this episode. 

It's really interesting that the show seems to be having us sludge through every painful step of Starlight's reformation. Sunset Shimmer had a rapid change due to having empathy literally forced into her, but Starlight is moving a lot more slowly. Unfortunately, this makes the cries that she got off too easily ring more and more true to me. I'm interested in her, and her character development makes me happy for her, but the show has given me no reason to really care about her - she could be taken out of the show at the end of the season, and at this point, I would not even be sad. Worse still, as I mentioned, the show's increasingly making it hard to like her, as it just plain refuses to bring up anything about her to like. Even now that she's reformed, she's defined almost exclusively by her antisocial behaviour. That fear of failure is kinda deep, but it's also something which every other character on this show shares. If she's not even going to be an excuse to explore more character depth from Twilight, then why is she even here? At least she usually brings character development. 

• Brohoof 3

ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING EPISODE! I'm glad to see that a large majority of us enjoyed the episode as shown by the poll. Another fantastic addition to season 6 (and some people were saying that the show is getting stale and needs to end :-P). With episodes like this, the show staff have shown us that they can still pump out creative and well written stories of our favorite pastel colored horses.

Mike Vogel has definitely cemented his status as one of the best new writers of the season. I'm glad that the only characters involved were Starlight, the Mane 6, and Spike. It really gave Glims a chance to shine on her own w/o the need of an additional character (Sunburst in the premiere, and Trixie in NSP). And boy did she shine brighter than a shooting star across the night sky :orly:. We would be here all day if I went over every single little detail, so i'm just going to list a couple of highlights:

• I loved the Magic lessons during the cold opening. We haven't had a magic-focused episode like this since Magic Duel back in Season 3! Oh how far we have come from then :P. The Latin Incantations were also a nice touch. It really gives the spells a "Harry Potter" feel to them. A quick Google Translate shows that Fiducia Compelus means "Confidence Compels" and Cogeria and Persuadere mean Chaos and Persuade respectively. It's great attention to detail like this that I really appreciate.
  • Speaking of detail, we got to see Glimmy's room for the 1st time and I loved it! Shoutout to the Trixie portrait and the No = sign :love:.
  • The brainwashed 5 were both funny and creepy at the same time. AJ wins the award for best brain washed pony  :smug:. Her 1 liners and references were downright hilarious! The Spider Man one definitely came at the right time.
  • Twilight was shown to handle the situation very maturely. Rather than lash out and be angry at her student, she was patient and understanding. These are the types of teachers that we need more of in our society. Good on ya Twi :P.
  • The "Hangover" scene was glorious. I don't think there has been an alcohol reference since Owl's Well That Ends Well when Pinkie says that the punch has been "Spiked" way back in Season 1. I'm glad to see that these lingering effects were shown since we never saw it before. It really adds to the weight of the moral that there are consequences to our actions.
  • Speaking of morals, I loved how they handled the last 3rd of the episode. Twilight is right, Apologizing is an advanced Friendship lesson that many people have trouble mastering. A lot of us can benefit from Starlights example by apologizing to those that we have done harm to whether it be physical or mental pain.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed episode 21. It definitely gets better the more I watch it, since I am able to appreciate it more. 10/10 (That's 3 perfect scores i've given in a row now. Let's keep the streak alive as long as possible :wub:).    

P.S. My avatar pic perfectly sums up the end scene of the girls "chillaxing" on the roof of the castle. If these girls aren't Squad Goals by now, then I don't know what to tell you  ;)

Edited by Chuckles4lyfe
  • Brohoof 1

Absolutely terrible episode; at no point did I feel entranced, engrossed or invested in this episode.

Starlight glimmer STILL is a completely uninteresting character. "She's like THE BEST UNICORN EVER at magic, but seriously Bad at social interaction!" isn't an interesting quirk, its just kind of... there. there's really nothing to compel me to like or be entertained by her past that.

The plot is just really poor and plodding, and all it does is try to wow you off the bat with twilight and starlight being OP at magic, which is nice visually I guess, but does nothing to actually entertain. Past that we jump to starlight being utterly autistic about what twilight ACTUALLY wants her to do for the lesson, and then her gathering the other 5.

There's really no interaction between them to a meaningful degree, and we jump to her mindbreaking them; past this, the episode devolves into a painfully one note "The other 5 are literal robots!" plot, and that's about it. Now, there ARE a couple decent jokes in it, like Fluttershy covered in insects with a giant smile on her face, or pinkie trying to talk while magically held shut, but honestly... it just bored the HELL out of me. Then we get to the utterly predictable conclusion.

seriously, I was hoping the season was about to pick back up, as I found viva las pegasus to be charming last week, but DAMN is this a poor episode. It does NOTHING to make me enjoy starlight better (Seriously, I wasn't a big fan of the other 2 episodes, but at least they had some good points to them), offers virtually no "real" interaction between the other 5 or chemistry with her and them, and is just boring.

3/10. Seriously, give me a REASON to care about this character you're shoving down my throat crew, because this is one of the worst episodes of the season. You were at least TRYING with a hearth's warming tale.

• Brohoof 1

Why does this episode feel reminiscent of Pinkie Pie and her clones? Plus Starlight Glimmer does slightly reference in cloning when she combines a speed enhancing spell with something else (don't remember that one) and can clone herself at least once. The episode was like if Twilight Sparkle tried to do the Pinkie Pie's clone fiasco.

• Brohoof 1

I rather enjoyed this week, heck I enjoy most weeks :P But this was quite fun.

I had one or two minor issues but overall I gave it a 71/2 from 10.

Here is my review as per normal...

• Brohoof 1

Pinkie Pie was amazing in this episode. Probably my favorite rendition of Pinkie Pie to date. Baking a million cakes per second? AWESOME!!!! Being super pissed at Starlight? AMAZING!!!! Being the least forgiving of the mane 6? THE GREATEST THING IN THE HISTORY OF EXISTENCE!!!!!!  :love:  :love:  :love:

• Brohoof 1

I'm pretty neutral on Starlight, didn't quite expect anything of this episode, but I enjoyed it in the end! it was funny yet creepy seeing the Mane 5 be mind controlled. I like how they did things in a "you didn't specify what you wanted" way. :P Applejack was my favorite, I loved her ramblings about the photos~

Don't have much to say on this one, so I'll just mention some other things I liked:

- Starlight's anti-equal sign poster on her room. Got a chuckle out of me. x)

- Starlight saying "No time for a song!", reminded me of how she interrupted Twilight in the Season 5 Premiere. That pony's got no time for your silly speeches and songs! :P

- Applejack saying "They can take our farm, but they can't take our freedom!" x) Makes me curious, what happened during these 80 moons? :muffins:

- The "hangover" scene. Rarity must have a reeeeally bad headache if even Fluttershy's voice is bothering her. :lol:

• Brohoof 3

Was not huge on all of the parallels between Starlight and Twilight. I don't think characters who are like "how Twilight used to be" are all that interesting, which is weird, because "interesting" is what Twilight used to be. I want Starlight to have her own personality - specifically, one with actual endearing traits.

• Brohoof 1

Was not huge on all of the parallels between Starlight and Twilight. I don't think characters who are like "how Twilight used to be" are all that interesting, which is weird, because "interesting" is what Twilight used to be. I want Starlight to have her own personality - specifically, one with actual endearing traits.

I both agree and disagree with this. Sure, Starlight has plenty of season 1-2 Twilight in her (which is why I quite like her), but she does have her own personality. She's a former villain, first of all, and has a habit of manipulating others. She procrastinated, which is something Twilight would never do. That shows how her anxiety differs from Old Twilight's anxiety. Twilight was more than willing to learn about friendship, while Starlight wants to avoid that. And somehow, her social skills are even worse than Old Twilight's.

And yes, Twilight is kinda boring and flat nowadays. Season 7 needs to make her great again, somehow. The student-mentor relationship between her and Starlight had a lot of potential, but it's mostly been used to develop Starlight instead of Twilighy.

• Brohoof 2