Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Batbrony

Oh no, not a cop out at all.

Let's see... anything in plushie-making in particular that you wish to improve at?

I'd like to learn more about clothing design, or even tailoring in general (I wouldn't mind designing some cosplays sometime).  I also feel like my overall pattern could be improved in certain areas, mainly the legs and the shapeliness of the body.  I'd like to learn more about wiring and internal skeletons, which could open up loads of new avenues for creative plushing, and I'd like to pick up an airbrush and start making custom colors and designs.  So many things!  I'm always learning new stuff!  :D

Looking at the bigger picture, I'd like to start taking more risks with my work.  I feel like I've mostly played it safe, and I'd really like to experiment with different poses, clothing styles, and even different characters entirely.  I'll get there, though!  There's too many good ideas rattling around up here to not let them have their time in the sun. 

do you have a website? i would love to get a plushie of my OC and maybe a fluttershy one too ^-^

Sure do!  I am Peruserofpieces over on DeviantArt, where I'm most active:  http://peruserofpieces.deviantart.com/ Drop me a line and we'll talk!  :D

And if your OC is the cutie-patootie in your profile pic, then I'd LOVE to work on her for you! 

• Brohoof 2

I'd like to learn more about clothing design, or even tailoring in general (I wouldn't mind designing some cosplays sometime).  I also feel like my overall pattern could be improved in certain areas, mainly the legs and the shapeliness of the body.  I'd like to learn more about wiring and internal skeletons, which could open up loads of new avenues for creative plushing, and I'd like to pick up an airbrush and start making custom colors and designs.  So many things!  I'm always learning new stuff!  :D

Looking at the bigger picture, I'd like to start taking more risks with my work.  I feel like I've mostly played it safe, and I'd really like to experiment with different poses, clothing styles, and even different characters entirely.  I'll get there, though!  There's too many good ideas rattling around up here to not let them have their time in the sun. 

Neat!  How're you liking Season 6 so far?  Are you enjoying Starlight Glimmer as a main character?  :squee:

• Brohoof 1

So, considering you mentioned the comics, do you have a particular favorite issue or arc? :)

• Brohoof 2

Since we're buddies, I feel like I can ask a hardball question :P I know one thing you get asked a lot is "why are plushies so expensive?" Can you talk a little about why a hand-made plush costs hundreds of dollars and why so many people are willing, even happy to pay that much when mass-produced alternatives are available?

Also, how does the future look for craft plush makers?

• Brohoof 2

What is your favorite season of the show? And what got you into MLP in the first place (sorry if that last one has already been answered)? :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 4

Neat!  How're you liking Season 6 so far?  Are you enjoying Starlight Glimmer as a main character?  :squee:

I'm ashamed to say that I'm reeeally far behind on Season 6 (which is totally unlike me).  But as far as Starlight Glimmer goes, I like her!  I think she's the perfect pony to act as Twilight's first real protege, a dynamic that allows both Twilight and Starlight's characters room to grow and mature.  I think there's something very honest and genuine about Starlight--she knows she's made some bad choices in the past, and she really wants to make up for those actions now.  I think she's a wonderful character. 

So, considering you mentioned the comics, do you have a particular favorite issue or arc? :)

The "Reflections" arc, hooves down.  It's such a dark, tragic love story with genuine feelings of love and longing and loss, all wrapped up in Andy's distinctly wonderful art style.  It's one of the crowning achievements in pony, I'd say. 

Since we're buddies, I feel like I can ask a hardball question :P I know one thing you get asked a lot is "why are plushies so expensive?" Can you talk a little about why a hand-made plush costs hundreds of dollars and why so many people are willing, even happy to pay that much when mass-produced alternatives are available?

Also, how does the future look for craft plush makers?

Well, when it comes to pricing a handmade plush, it's important to consider that the price is more than just the cost of the raw materials involved--you also have to consider the artist's time, skill, and labor.  As I've mentioned before, most of these plushies take over 25 hours to complete, in addition to all the extra hours spent making and perfecting the pattern, and the years spent honing the craft.  It's a labor of love that results in a distinctly unique plush that no mass-produced product can possibly equal.  And in many cases, these plushies are entirely one-of-a-kind, especially with OC's.  I wouldn't say anyone is necessarily "happy" to fork over hundreds of dollars for a custom plush, but those that do realize the value of the time and effort put into them, which makes it an even bigger honor when someone chooses to buy one from me.  That's a high honor that I do not take lightly. 

And just to be clear, no plush maker charges what they do "just because they can" or to "cash in."  By the time I factor in the cost of materials, my time, and any taxes I have to pay at the end of the year, I only make about $10 an hour on my craft. 

As for the future of craft-makers, I think there will always be a market for well-made plushies.  Even after the show has ended, this is a fandom that will be around for years to come, and as more and more people get involved with the social side of the fandom, people will continue to want their OC's represented artistically, whether it be in plush form or in art.  :-)

What is your favorite season of the show? And what got you into MLP in the first place (sorry if that last one has already been answered)? :fluttershy:

I keep going back and forth between Seasons 2 and 4 as my favorite, but I think I have to give a slight edge to 4 for having an overarching storyline that tied a lot of the episodes together, especially since it culminated in what was, to me, the greatest two-parter in the show's history so far.  There are fantastic episodes to be found in every season, though.  I'm even a big Season 3 fan, despite a lot of the flack it receives. 

As for what got me into MLP, mine's a common story, I think.  It was early 2011, and I was still neck deep in the Chipmunks fandom at the time, when I started seeing all these MLP characters popping up on DA.  At first I paid it no mind, simply thinking it was another trend sweeping the internet.  But then I started noticing that a lot of prominent artists were starting to make art for the show, including a few of my favorite artists.  Eventually I saw a short GIF of Pinkie Pie doing her Evil Enchantress song, and I thought, "Wow...that animation looks awesome."  A short while later, I convinced myself to try out an episode, and it wasn't long before I was hooked.  I started watching the show while Season 1 was still airing, way back in March of 2011.  I feel so old, haha! 

• Brohoof 4

Alright, well it looks like our time with Peruserofpieces has come to an end!  On behalf of MLP Forums and all of Poniverse, I want to thank you yet again for joining us this evening and kindly taking time to answer our questions.  We all wish you the very best with your plushie making going forward and hope that you will continue to excel at making many, many cute pony plushies!!!

If you haven't yet, folks, you should seriously look up Peruserofpieces on DA, give him a follow, and if you're looking to commission a plushie, definitely consider going with him, he's one of the finest plushie makers in our fandom!  Until next time everypony, this is Batbrony signing off.  I'm off!!! *cue dramatic exit*

• Brohoof 3

Alright, well it looks like our time with Peruserofpieces has come to an end!  On behalf of MLP Forums and all of Poniverse, I want to thank you yet again for joining us this evening and kindly taking time to answer our questions.  We all wish you the very best with your plushie making going forward and hope that you will continue to excel at making many, many cute pony plushies!!!

If you haven't yet, folks, you should seriously look up Peruserofpieces on DA, give him a follow, and if you're looking to commission a plushie, definitely consider going with him, he's one of the finest plushie makers in our fandom!  Until next time everypony, this is Batbrony signing off.  I'm off!!! *cue dramatic exit*

It's been an absolute pleasure!  Thank you again for inviting me to be a part of this Sir Batbrony, and thank you to everyone who came by to hang out and ask questions!  There's a lot of places you guys could have chosen to be on a Saturday night, and I'm humbled that you chose to spend it here with me.  You guys really made my night, and I really appreciate it.  Thank you all, good night, and God bless! 

• Brohoof 5

It's been an absolute pleasure!  Thank you again for inviting me to be a part of this Sir Batbrony, and thank you to everyone who came by to hang out and ask questions!  There's a lot of places you guys could have chosen to be on a Saturday night, and I'm humbled that you chose to spend it here with me.  You guys really made my night, and I really appreciate it.  Thank you all, good night, and God bless! 

It's been wonderful having you! Thank you for the taking the time out of your schedule to answer our questions. Always happy to learn more about the arts and crafts. I'll be sure to check out your DA. :D

• Brohoof 3