Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Batbrony

Good evening everypony, and welcome to another Poniverse Fandom Q&A!!!  This week our guest is Peruserofpieces, one of the fandom's most prolific plushie makers!  This is our first time having a plushie maker as a guest, and if you're a plushie maker yourself or looking to get into it as either a hobby or business, this Q&A is most definitely for you.  He's been to three BronyCons with his wares, and many other cons as well, so believe me when I say he's been around in the plushie-making biz for quite some time.  The floor is open for the next three hours, so ask away everypony, our latest guest is ready to answer all your questions, so let's give Peruserofpieces a big, warm welcome and have a fun time one and all!

Also, as a quick aside, don't forget to visit Peruserofpiece's DeviantArt profile here, where you can peruse his work as well as find out more about setting up commissions with him if you desire to do so.

To start, I'll ask a simple and probably obvious question:

When did you first start making plushies and what in particular made you want to pursue plushie-making?

sig-4670510.e947af7f5da9e67386f68f516fd0

sig-4670510.trotcon_2015_by_peruserofpie

• Brohoof 2

Thank you very much for having me on here!  I feel honored and privileged to take part in something like this.  :D

When did you first start making plushies and what in particular made you want to pursue plushie-making?

Let's see, I first toyed with the idea of making a plushie back in 2012.  I had tried my hand at a couple of different crafty things, including a cross-stitched Fluttershy, but I was always constantly amazed at the handmade plushies I kept seeing from the fandom.  In all the years and all the fandoms I've been a part of, I'd never seen anything like it before, and I thought, "I wanna try that!"  My first plushie (a Pinkie Pie) was made entirely with a free pattern I found online using my grandma's sewing machine and several cheap pieces of fabric I found at the craft store, and even though she wasn't perfect, I fell in love with her, and I knew I wanted to make more.  From there, I just kept adjusting the pattern to suit my tastes, trying out new ideas and learning along the way.  I'm still learning new things even now! 

(EDIT)  Gosh, I remember what it was like to go out and purchase my first sewing machine.  I was a poor, broke college student at the time, so plunking down $400 on a good sewing/embroidery machine was a REALLY scary choice to make.  But there was something really special about this fandom that made me feel like I truly belonged, and I couldn't remember the last time I had been so excited to work on my artwork.  Something about the experience made me feel more alive than I'd felt in ages.  It was like I had taken a major, identifiable step towards doing what I had always wanted to do my entire life--be an artist.  I've been living the dream for four years now.  :-)

Edited by Peruserofpieces
  • Brohoof 3

Let's see, I first toyed with the idea of making a plushie back in 2012.  I had tried my hand at a couple of different crafty things, including a cross-stitched Fluttershy, but I was always constantly amazed at the handmade plushies I kept seeing from the fandom.  In all the years and all the fandoms I've been a part of, I'd never seen anything like it before, and I thought, "I wanna try that!"  My first plushie (a Pinkie Pie) was made entirely with a free pattern I found online using my grandma's sewing machine and several cheap pieces of fabric I found at the craft store, and even though she wasn't perfect, I fell in love with her, and I knew I wanted to make more.  From there, I just kept adjusting the pattern to suit my tastes, trying out new ideas and learning along the way.  I'm still learning new things even now! 

Very cool!  So ponies were your first plushies, I see.  Do you have a favorite plushie or a favorite character to make plushies of (which I suppose is sort of a "who's your best pony" question)?

• Brohoof 1

*stares at plushies*

... so... fluffy...

*shakes head vigorously*

I mean, uhm... hiya.

I absolutely ADORE plushies!  Oh, your work looks SO AWESOME!  I applaud your work, and am melting on the inside from Cuteness Overload.  Kudos, good sir!

I was wondering a few things, though?  Might I ask you..:

How many total plushies would you estimate you've made?

Do you have one of those 'Awwwwwww...' sweet-type stories about one of your creations you could share?

Have you ever had a commission that you were unable to finish, due to difficult designs or too much detail?

... okay, I'll leave you alone now, Sir Lord of Plush; you've probably got a lot more important things to talk about, and I'm not gonna take up any more of your precious time here.    

Thank you for your time.  *bows*

• Brohoof 2

Very cool!  So ponies were your first plushies, I see.  Do you have a favorite plushie or a favorite character to make plushies of (which I suppose is sort of a "who's your best pony" question)?

Haha, well, "best pony" is something that changes practically every day.  "Favorite pony"...well, I would say, but I'm too shy....  *yellow horse noises*. 

Oh gosh, my favorite plushie?  Hmm...of all the ones I've made so far, I think the one I'm most proud of for how she came out is my Nightmare Night Applejack.  http://fav.me/d82y8rs I think I nailed the look, personally.  I'm also pretty proud of my kissing Derpy/Doctor plushies.  http://fav.me/d75of7h  I'd like to try out more unique poses like that in the future.  :D

• Brohoof 3

Hello there Peruser

I must say, these are some really nice Ponies that you have created there. I hope you have fun making them. :)

My Question: Have you ever considered doing pony plushies that are crossed with other creatures? For example Batponies, which are always loved, seaponies, Wolfponies, Snakeponies, etc.

I love those special pony creatures very much, so i was a bit curious.

I also let myself make a plushie of my pony OC Mesme Rize.

full.jpeg

He is a Lamiapony. Or Snakepony if you want. :P

Hope you have a nice stay. :)

• Brohoof 3

*stares at plushies*

... so... fluffy...

*shakes head vigorously*

I mean, uhm... hiya.

I absolutely ADORE plushies!  Oh, your work looks SO AWESOME!  I applaud your work, and am melting on the inside from Cuteness Overload.  Kudos, good sir!

I was wondering a few things, though?  Might I ask you..:

Do you have one of those 'Awwwwwww...' sweet-type stories about one of your creations you could share?

Have you ever had a commission that you were unable to finish, due to difficult designs or too much detail?

... okay, I'll leave you alone now, Sir Lord of Plush; you've probably got a lot more important things to talk about, and I'm not gonna take up any more of your precious time here.    

Thank you for your time.  *bows*

Haha, well thank you kindly, good sir!  My girls are a labor of love, that's for sure. 

Oh gosh, let's see...between conventions and commissions over the years, I'd say it's well over a hundred. 

Well, my grandma (whom I live with, and has always been my biggest supporter) had wanted me to make her an Applejack plushie for the longest time.  She loved her country-girl looks and attitude, so I promised her that I would make one for her at some point.  I kept putting it off for one reason or another, whether it be commissions or prepping for my first Bronycon.  Then in 2014, Applejack Appreciation Day happened on EqD.  I decided to make my Nightmare Night Applejack for the event.  I told my grandma that after she was finished, I intended to try and sell her on ebay, but once I had finished her and the event had come to close, I surprised her and decided to let her have her instead.  She absolutely loved her, and still has her in her bedroom now. 

Thankfully, I haven't run into this problem yet, although I have had to decline a couple of OC requests for being too...let's just say "aesthetically unpleasant."

• Brohoof 3

Hi, Peruser.  Have you ever showcased your Plushies in a convention?  And do you plan on showing them in the future?  I'm sure the people who go to the conventions will be adored by your amazing work.  :D

• Brohoof 2

Any features you particularly enjoy including on your plushies?  Or just something you particularly enjoy sewing (wings, horns, cutie marks, clothing/accessories, etc.)?

• Brohoof 1

Hello there Peruser

I must say, these are some really nice Ponies that you have created there. I hope you have fun making them. :)

My Question: Have you ever considered doing pony plushies that are crossed with other creatures? For example Batponies, which are always loved, seaponies, Wolfponies, Snakeponies, etc.

I love those special pony creatures very much, so i was a bit curious.

I also let myself make a plushie of my pony OC Mesme Rize.

full.jpeg

He is a Lamiapony. Or Snakepony if you want. :P

Hope you have a nice stay. :)

Thank you very much!  I do, I love bringing all my little girls to life.  :-)

Heck yeah, I'm open to any and all pony varieties!  I've made several Flutterbats, if that counts as a bat pony (probably not?), but yeah, I wouldn't mind making more bat ponies, sea ponies, etc.  The thing is, most of those other types of pony creatures are fandom OC's, so I don't really get a chance to make them unless someone commissions me for their character.  There's just not much to work with outside of a direct commission in that regard.  But I DO have an idea for some lovely mer-ponies I've been toying around with.  :D

By the way, that plushie you made looks gorgeous!  You've got plenty of talent yourself, my friend. 

And lastly...I don't think I've ever heard of or seen a wolf-pony.  I didn't even know that was a thing, honestly.  Huh. 

Hi, Peruser.  Have you ever showcased your Plushies in a convention?  And do you plan on showing them in the future?  I'm sure the people who go to the conventions will be adored by your amazing work.   :D

Oh, yes!  I've been to Bronycon every year since 2014, as well as Trotcon 2015.  The only reason I didn't return to Trotcon 2016 (as a vendor, anyway) was because of scheduling conflicts.  I certainly intend to go back to Bronycon next year, as well as return to Trotcon again.  I can think of several conventions I'd like to go to sometime as well, so there may be more! 

• Brohoof 2

Hello Peruserofpieces! First of all, I wanted to tell you that I just found about your work about 1 week ago and I immediately loved it! Also, not any plushie maker has made as many plushies as you!

What's the quickiest and longest time that has taken you to make a plushie? What's the pony whom you've made more plushies of? Also, got any hobbies aside of making plushies? Hope these haven't been asked and also hope you don't mind me asking several questions! >_<

• Brohoof 2

Any features you particularly enjoy including on your plushies?  Or just something you particularly enjoy sewing (wings, horns, cutie marks, clothing/accessories, etc.)?

I love it when I can make a new type of expression for a plush, especially if it's super-squee-inducing adorable.  :D  I haven't uploaded her to my gallery yet (consider this a sneak-peak), but this is quite possibly my most favoritest expression I've ever given a plush:  http://sta.sh/015cjpkvgrsr

I also have kind of a love-hate relationship with clothing.  I love the way clothing looks on ponies, and a lot of my best-looking plushies are the ones that have some kind of clothing on them, but I'm not a big fan of actually making the clothes.  Clothes are a lot more fiddly and susceptible to mistakes.  An uneven hemline, for instance, can completely ruin an otherwise fine-looking garment, and adding little flaps and pieces of velcro for removable clothing is such a fiddly and time-consuming process (but ironically, I prefer to make all of my clothing removable anyway, so...I guess I can't complain, heh). 

• Brohoof 2

Welcome Peruser, and thank you so much for visiting our forums! It's great to have you here sharing your knowledge. :D

Plushies are actually something I've been really interested in since before even joining this fandom. It truly amazes me just how talented some people are with this craft. Those ones you've shown there look incredibly adorable. :wub:

In relation to that: What kind of qualities would you recommend people look out for in a well designed plushie? Are there certain warning signs you might be wary of that a plush isn't as well designed as it could be, perhaps in the material used or any notable inaccuracies of its design?

• Brohoof 2

By the way, that plushie you made looks gorgeous!  You've got plenty of talent yourself, my friend.

It's not mine. It was made by a friend of mine. But thanks for the compliments i guess. :D

• Brohoof 1

Hello Peruserofpieces! First of all, I wanted to tell you that I just found about your work about 1 week ago and I immediately loved it! Also, not any plushie maker has made as many plushies as you!

What's the quickiest and longest time that has taken you to make a plushie? What's the pony whom you've made more plushies of? Also, got any hobbies aside of making plushies? Hope these haven't been asked and also hope you don't mind me asking several questions! >_<

First of all, I love your profile pic.  That is adorable.  *squee*

And I'm so glad you like my work!  Thanks for taking the time to check me out, good sir.  :D

Let's see, the quickest I've ever made a plushie...really, that just comes down to which pony I'm making, and in my experience, Derpy is the easiest and quickest to make.  For a big girl Derpy (my regular, 17" size), she takes me about 20 hours or so.  For a little girl (beanie, shoulder pony size) she takes about 12 hours.  Not too bad. 

The longest I've ever taken on a plushie was way back when I was just learning the ropes in 2013.  That's when I was working on a Vinyl Scratch along with her massive Canterlot Wedding DJ setup, complete with turntable, giant speakers, and colored lights.  The whole deal took me a couple of months to make, but this was also when I was cutting my teeth and learning how to do a lot of basic things as well.  As far as just regular ponies go, the longest it's taken me would probably be one of my clothed ponies, like Don't Mine at Night Button and Sweetie. 

The pony I've made the most plushies of, that's easy--Fluttershy is always my go-to pony whenever I want to try out a new pattern design, or just experiment with.  She's not only my favorite pony, but I also think she's one of the easier ones to make as well, so she's a good fit. 

Oh gosh, I have lots of hobbies.  I'm a huge video game fan and an avid collector as well, everything from Atari to the modern age.  I love to read (mostly fantasy-adventure), I love to write, and I love to draw.  I've also just recently started getting into anime.  If you want to talk about games later, check out my collection on Backloggery:  http://www.backloggery.com/mariomaster120

I also have a MAL page as well:  https://myanimelist.net/profile/Peruserofpieces

And if you wanna talk books or art, just note me on DA anytime!

• Brohoof 3

Welcome Peruser, and thank you so much for visiting our forums! It's great to have you here sharing your knowledge. :D

Plushies are actually something I've been really interested in since before even joining this fandom. It truly amazes me just how talented some people are with this craft. Those ones you've shown there look incredibly adorable. :wub:

In relation to that: What kind of qualities would you recommend people look out for in a well designed plushie? Are there certain warning signs you might be wary of that a plush isn't as well designed as it could be, perhaps in the material used or any notable inaccuracies of its design?

As far as plushie quality is concerned, I think it's mostly subjective.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all.  Most plushie makers choose minky as their fabric of choice because of it's durability and softness, but I've seen lots of skilled plushie-makers use fleece or even felt and still make super-cute designs.  Myself, I prefer a pony that looks as show-accurate as possible, and that's how I try to design my own patterns.  I try to stuff them firm enough that there's no noticeable wrinkling or air pockets inside the plush, and I try to make the facial features (especially the eyes) look appealing both from the sides and from the front (which is a tricky thing to balance).  But outside of personal taste, the only things I can think to mention are the usual things that any potential customer should look out for--if you see loose, sloppy stitching that could come undone, or hastily ironed on eyes that might peel off, I'd steer clear.  Handmade plushies are a luxury item that people pay good money for, so make sure you're getting something that you know will last. 

I'm not sure if I really touched on what you were asking.  Did I answer your question? 

It's not mine. It was made by a friend of mine. But thanks for the compliments i guess. :D

Ah, my mistake.  I misunderstood what you said.  Still, it's wonderful-looking!  Your friend should be proud. 

• Brohoof 2

I love it when I can make a new type of expression for a plush, especially if it's super-squee-inducing adorable.  :D  I haven't uploaded her to my gallery yet (consider this a sneak-peak), but this is quite possibly my most favoritest expression I've ever given a plush:  http://sta.sh/015cjpkvgrsr

Oh my goodness, that's adorable!!!  SO SO ADORABLE!!!  Also, that story about your grandma and the AJ plushie you gave her was so sweet!!!

Alright, more fandom/show related question for ya: what is your best ship?  :wub:

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure if I really touched on what you were asking. Did I answer your question?

You got what I was asking. Thank you kindly. :)

I've heard the old phrase of "You can't rush art", so how much time would you say this takes up on average? Are you able to maintain a healthy balance and get everything else done? Have you ever felt pressured for time or do you simply have a good schedule to work around? :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 2

Okay, let me also make a show related question.

What is your favorite episode ever? :)

Oh gosh, I hate this question, because there's no way to choose just one! 

My most favorite episodes are the ones that make me FEEL something.  "Magical Mystery Cure" is pure art, from start to finish.  It was the first episode to ever make me cry actual full, manly tears.  "Twilight's Kingdom" was the second.  And "Crusaders of the Lost Mark" was the third.  These are the episodes that will always have the biggest impact on me, because they reminded me what it was like to feel alive, and to feel human.  It's an indescribably special feeling, and memories that I'll carry with me for the rest of my life. 

Of course, there are lots of other episodes that I adore for other reasons, too.  As the nerdy booklover all throughout school, I love watching the athletically-minded Dash fall in love with reading in "Read it and Weep."  As a longtime pet owner, "Tanks for the Memories" hit home on a lot of emotional levels as well.  And "Hurricane Fluttershy" is a beautiful reminder that everyone is important and has a special role to play, and that you should never underestimate your own self-worth.  I'd give that same piece of advice to everyone I meet, no matter what you want to do in life. 

Any interest in deer-based plushes? ;)

I'm not averse to the idea, no.  I actually think the deer in the comics are pretty cute!  If someone ever commissioned one, I'd take it on.  ;-)

Oh my goodness, that's adorable!!!  SO SO ADORABLE!!!  Also, that story about your grandma and the AJ plushie you gave her was so sweet!!!

Alright, more fandom/show related question for ya: what is your best ship?  :wub:

Ah, you're gonna think this is such a cop-out, but I can honestly get behind just about any ship as long as it's well-written or well-thought out.  Heck, who would have ever thought Maud and Trixie could make such a cute couple?  <3  I don't get all bent out of shape about waifus and husbandos or whatever--as long as they make a cute couple, I'm all for it. 

That being said, some of my favorites that I love to read about or see pictures of include OctaScratch, FlutterDash, and the aforementioned Mauxie.  And when it comes to shipping, I go for SFW and NSFW equally.  ;-)  It's fun to add a little spice every now and then.  :D

You got what I was asking. Thank you kindly. :)

I've heard the old phrase of "You can't rush art", so how much time would you say this takes up on average? Are you able to maintain a healthy balance and get everything else done? Have you ever felt pressured for time or do you simply have a good schedule to work around? :fluttershy:

I am the master of making good schedules.  I just suck at following them.  *facehoof*

Time management is something I struggle with constantly.  I'm always making these grand lists of ideas that I want to try out, but I never end up having the time to do them.  Convention season is always a trying time for me, as I struggle to make as many adorable ponies as I can to show off at the events I go to.  Oftentimes in the lead-up to a convention, it's not uncommon for me to wake up at 6:30a.m. and work on plushies all day long until I fall in bed, sometimes at 9 or 10 o'clock at night.  And I usually start convention prep at least four months in advance of a convention. 

The thing is, I'll make a schedule for myself, including an outline of every pony that I intend to make, and I allow myself what I think is plenty of time to get it all done.  But sometimes roadblocks happen, especially when I'm patterning out new hair or accessories for a pony.  The trial-and-error phase of patterning can last days or even a week or more for a single pony.  Like you said, "you can't rush art."  These kinds of things happen, and they throw a wrench into the whole schedule going forward, which makes for a lot of long hours in the final days before a convention. 

Outside of conventions, I try to maintain regular work hours during the week to maintain a sense of normalcy and to prevent getting burnt out.  Every now and then though, I'll still stay up late working on a certain project that I'm focused on.  It's certainly a lot of time and effort, but when I look back over all the time I've spent doing it, I don't feel like one second of it has been wasted time, so that tells me I must be doing something right.  :-)

• Brohoof 5

Ah, you're gonna think this is such a cop-out, but I can honestly get behind just about any ship as long as it's well-written or well-thought out.  Heck, who would have ever thought Maud and Trixie could make such a cute couple?  <3  I don't get all bent out of shape about waifus and husbandos or whatever--as long as they make a cute couple, I'm all for it. 

That being said, some of my favorites that I love to read about or see pictures of include OctaScratch, FlutterDash, and the aforementioned Mauxie.  And when it comes to shipping, I go for SFW and NSFW equally.  ;-)  It's fun to add a little spice every now and then.  :D

Oh no, not a cop out at all.

Let's see... anything in plushie-making in particular that you wish to improve at?

• Brohoof 1