Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has getting a cutie mark become less special?

ggg-2

That's a good question. Hmmmmmmmm...

I don't think so, because the significance of something (such as getting a cutie mark) is purely subjective.

The CMC don't directly show ponies their special talent before their eyes. They are just giving a gentle nudge

in the right direction.

• Brohoof 1

In a sense, I guess it sort of has. The moment when the CMC's got their cutie marks in season 5 probably marks the last time when it did feel really special (I still remember all the liquid pride that day  :kindness:). But hey, you can only write the same story so many times before it gets stale and predictable. I'm curious to see what adventures the CMC will get themselves into next season!

Hmmm, no. I think the CMC's new job is something akin to, I dunno, guidance counselling. Perhaps not a perfect comparison, but what I mean is that they help ponies out when they have trouble understanding themselves. Not sure why these children have that role - I wonder if there's anyone else like that in Equestria - but that sort of self-discovery is harder for some people than for others, so of course they get help when they feel they need it. 

• Brohoof 1

Not really. What the CMC do is guiding others in the right direction to fully realize their own talents, but they don't give them these talents. All they're really doing is speeding up a process that would have happened without them anyway. Aside from that, as shown by their interactions with Diamond Tiara and Troubleshoes, they also help people to realize the true meaning behind the Marks they already have. Taken that way, the Cutie Marks become more special by virtue of being better understood, rather than less special.