Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Legend Of Everfree

The Cynical Lone Wolf

What did you think of the fourth Equestria Girls movie, Legend of Everfree ?  

146 users have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

• No; it was travesty
    • No..not really
    • Meh; I liked it and didn't like it at the same time
    • I enjoyed it, but could've been a whole lot better.
    • THAT WAS AN AWESOME MOVIE!!!

So I feel like I should preface my entire discussion with a little note that...I've never really had any dislike for any of the movies. I've seen a lot of differing negative opinions on which movie is worst and why and which songs work and which don't and I've just...never really had an issue. Don't get me wrong there's been parts that were annoying, but overall they didn't bug me. Even with Flash...over time. Like movie one I rolled my eyes but when I saw he wasn't coming out of the movie as a show regular I didn't mind him. And now that we're on movie four, I really like human Flash, especially after this one. Poor guy - you can just see his heart breaking over and over again. Fell for a princess, and she seems to like him fine enough, but if she wants Flash Time there's a pony right in her own world to satisfy that need. And in the meantime he only gets to see her every couple of months while constantly having to see her double hanging out and being not the pony princess his crush is actually on. Problems of parallel world love interests I suppose.

I really liked that they didn't have SciTwi getting involved with him, instead setting her up with someone else. And actually taking time to develop it as opposed to trying to fill a quota, since they've shown with the last two movies that they understand romance doesn't have to be a part of the plot. And they actually nailed the awkward teenage flirting. From what I'm seeing this seems to be an unpopular opinion, but I really liked Twi and Spruce. But this goes back to how I am with all four of the movies - I really don't expect a whole lot out of them. That isn't to say I'll let anything slide or do that thing where people 'turn their brains off' to watch something, but as long as the movie makes me feel good then it's done its job for me. And Twi and Spruce, as far as romantic relationships in the MLP series goes, is pretty good. Not as good as the Cakes, but they're young. They have time yet to become adorable adults.

Ok, so that's literally all I have to say about romance. Which is more than I ever thought I'd have to say considering how annoying it can be in this type of show, but that's it for that subject. And now for something different:

As always, the animation jumped up again, and the music was top notch and really fit the vibe. I saw some reviews saying that the songs throughout the movies were lackluster and...well I've never agreed with that. I've found most EQ songs really enjoyable, and Everfree is no exception. The intro song was uploaded well before the movie was put up on YouTube and I annoyed the crap out of my roommate because I played it over and over. It's in the same ilk as Apples to the Core, but I like that because it really sets the tone for the rest of the movie. All the songs were like that, save for the Midnight in Me which was just kind of there then gone (but still managed to allow for some good moodlighting). The others pushed forward the plot and did a good job of amplifying the mood.

As far as what this movie does to confirm/deny headcanons: Apparently there are seven elements of harmony (and no one can convince me at this point that those little conveniently colored gems aren't tied to the elements) and apparently Sunset did not become an alicorn princess ( :( I really like that headcanon so I'm gonna keep it for myself kthxbai). Though of course SciTwi has wings. I've seen some people pointing out how annoying this is and I am going to second and triple that. She has not earned princesshood. The animation was cool but they could have worked without that. She literally only has wings because her pony counterpart has wings.

Though that does open up questions to just what effect Equestria is having on this universe. We've seen the magic leaking through the broken statue-portal now, so maaaaaaaaybe (and it's a super headcanon stretch) she literally only has wings because her magic is being pulled from Twilight. Not pulled, that's probably bad wording, but that's the kind of idea. The worlds are mirroring each other more and more as time goes on - while they started with just basically having the same personality, now that they have superpowers that parallel the abilities of their counterparts: Rainbow is speedy, Pinkie Pie is a rather destructive in her need to bring great cheer to the world (lest we all forget the exploding cake on poor Cranky Doodle), Fluttershy talks to animals, AJ is amazingly extra super strong, and Rarity......well hers is themed off of diamonds (and I believe is actually the only one who lines up from pony to human to power ponysona since they all 'create' in their own ways lovely glittering pretty things). I doubt they'll tie it into the comics any more than it already has been (via that little retcon that this wasn't the only mirror) but it definitely feels like a semi-similar vibe. Things are slowly becoming more potent. They probably won't climax in a 'both worlds on the verge of destroying each other' because that would entirely end all potential future EQ movies, but it's still interesting to watch and think about...and helps explain SciTwi's wings in a semi-acceptable way.

Some other varying things of note:
THEY GOT SOME OF THE GIRLS OUT OF SKIRTS! There were shorts. And pants. And variety across the board. True they found a way to get them all prettified for toy sales, but it was so refreshing seeing some variety in their clothing choices. Even the prettification gave us different dresses (that were hit and miss in their own ways). They had so many costume changes in this movie, starting with what they arrived in, to Rarity's fashions, to their magic girl transformations, to their concert/ball dresses. Even if they weren't all good, I really enjoyed having that much variety introduced in a variety of ways that were all interesting additions to the story (as opposed to tossing in a makeover montage because 'it's a movie for girls there has to be makeovers').

She-demon, take three. They did the she-demon again. They really need some villain variety. Though I will give them that at least all three she-demons had very different stories. Sunset wanted power - she embraced the magic and while she might have had reservations about what it did to her, the demoning itself didn't haunt her as much as the person (pony?) she'd been. SciTwi wanted to understand the magic and was able to be peer pressured into doing dangerous things. She was terrified of giving into her weaknesses and becoming a monster again. Gloriosa, on a completely different hand, wanted to protect what she held dear, and wasn't afraid to do what it took to do that. She stood for something, and at the end she managed to get what she needed. So at least repeating a villain type hasn't meant that we've gotten literally the same story arc every time. But they really need to shake it up. Even the sirens weren't that far from the she-demoning. They were just always demons and didn't have to become such.

What was up with Filthy Rich? I know personalities change between show and these movies but...GEEZUS MAN. Have you no heart at all? Have you no purpose at all? (Seriously the 'conflict' he offered really could have been reached in other ways. Maybe the camp needed some serious repairs and they just couldn't afford it and it'd be shut down if they didn't. That actually happened to the camp I used to go to as a kid. They just couldn't scrap together the funds to keep it continuing on, and we didn't need any sleezy cliches to deal with that kind of misery.)

They set up some serious sequel baiting there at the end, and for a series of movies I really thought I'd never care about...I'm really excited for the next movie to find out more of the lore they've been building. And I really do so hope they keep building it.

And lastly...Sunset Shimmer continues to win best human awards. That is all.

besthuman_zpsg4csoua6.png(Please forgive me using KissCartoon instead of Netflix for the screen grab - for some reason I just could not get Netflix to work on my computer today. It kept crashing everything.)

Edited by vanillapudding
  • Brohoof 2

an unexpected twists on who was actually causing all the problems

Going to comment here, EVERYONE knew glory was the villain from the start :P. People knew MONTHS ahead of time that it was going to be Glory causing the giant plant barrier.

They DID make it a huge plot twist that she WASN'T from equestria, and that was very surprising, since they played up the "Gaia everfree was booted out of equestria" thing, and no one was really expecting EOH geodes.

But come one, we all knew it was going to be glory ahead of time XD

• Brohoof 1

Going to comment here, EVERYONE knew glory was the villain from the start :P. People knew MONTHS ahead of time that it was going to be Glory causing the giant plant barrier.

They DID make it a huge plot twist that she WASN'T from equestria, and that was very surprising, since they played up the "Gaia everfree was booted out of equestria" thing, and no one was really expecting EOH geodes.

Only because people was watching the trailers, I make it a vow not to ever look at one before watching the full version. Looks like those people ruined something good for themselves. 

It felt less like a rush job, maybe because they reduced the number of songs in it though would of been nice to seen one or more of their camp activities in action.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

Only because people was watching the trailers, I make it a vow not to ever look at one before watching the full version. Looks like those people ruined something good for themselves. 

It felt less like a rush job, maybe because they reduced the number of songs in it though would of been nice to seen one or more of their camp activities in action.

people were pegging Glory as the villain right as soon as her Toys came out even before the trailer, simply due to pattern recognition; usually when a new girl is introduced they're going to be the villain.

Edited by Unlikeable Pony

people were pegging Glory as the villain right as soon as her Toys came out even before the trailer, simply due to pattern recognition; usually when a new girl is introduced they're going to be the villain.

I went into it completely blind, without having seen the trailers or toys.

The movie leads people towards it being the gal, the dude, twilight's darker half, or even gaia everfree.  

The switch worked for me because I had multiple competing theories while I was watching it.  I was hesitant to leap at any particular conclusion because movies often intentionally lead you astray.  

Was there anything about the movie itself that you think should have given it away?  I don't really buy the "its a new girl duh" thing, if only because we've gotten our fair share of male villains in the story.

The movie leads people towards it being the gal, the dude, twilight's darker half, or even gaia everfree.  

The switch worked for me because I had multiple competing theories while I was watching it.  I was hesitant to leap at any particular conclusion because movies often intentionally lead you astray.  

Was there anything about the movie itself that you think should have given it away?  I don't really buy the "its a new girl duh" thing, if only because we've gotten our fair share of male villains in the story.

The movie dropped hints throughout, like when Glory bumped into Sunset and we got a snippet of her mental thoughts, and how sunset kept talking about how she rubbed her the wrong way.

But mainly the spoiler stuff was by looking at toys and other things :P

The movie dropped hints throughout, like when Glory bumped into Sunset and we got a snippet of her mental thoughts, and how sunset kept talking about how she rubbed her the wrong way.

But mainly the spoiler stuff was by looking at toys and other things :P

Don't forget the fact that the last movie, Friendship Games, also had the 5 Shadowbolts being revealed at the Toy Fair, as well as them being heavily in all the promotional material as being an "evil mane 6", only for them to be hardly utilized and barely matter, and tells us that Cinch was the main antagonist of the movie(who we knew fuck all about until the damn movie came out)

So no, I don't think we should rely on toys to see who the next antagonists are

Edited by Megas

Some people seem to be complaining about this having too much romance, but one of my biggest issues was that I would have liked more from the romantic subplot. Twilight and Timber have actual chemistry, and there's a nice build in their relationship, but it just sort of peters out at the end as if it were tacked on last minute. I liked the romance a little more than Twilight'a insecurity and a lot more than the magic mystery. If only this thing didn't need to have a conflict.

Some people seem to be complaining about this having too much romance, but one of my biggest issues was that I would have liked more from the romantic subplot. Twilight and Timber have actual chemistry, and there's a nice build in their relationship, but it just sort of peters out at the end as if it were tacked on last minute. I liked the romance a little more than Twilight'a insecurity and a lot more than the magic mystery. If only this thing didn't need to have a conflict.

Yeah

While I will say I don't care much for the romance, nor do I care much for Timber, but I do feel that they tried with the romance this time, tried to give them some chemistry.

And honestly that's enough for me :P

so, I've just watched the movie, and since most things have already been said, I'll keep it relatively short by simply counting down my favourite moments:

"The Midnight in me". while I felt that is was too short and could've been more loud and dramatic, it played out pretty well.

Bulk Biceps being put into the stitching-group (or whatever girly kind of thing it was, I liked it)

Filthy Rich. I think he just had a great character-design. he looked like they didn't just took the pony-version and slammed it into a human form, they really put a little effort into it. while he only played a insignificant role in this movie, I found him to be pretty enjoyable.

Sunset looking into Pinkies' mind. it's not easy to make things appear to be completely random, they probably thought about what to show us for ages.

The romance. the scenes with Twilight and Timber just worked SO much better than the Twiflash-scenes. it didn't feel forced, and there's actual chemistry between the two characters. also, they didn't leave Flash behind and forgot about him! while I would've been completely fine with this, it's nice of them to throw some SunFlash-moments in there. neat. very neat.

But: WHY WOULD YOU RUIN THAT KISSING-SCENE AT THE END?

tumblr_mlkohxbfnk1s3hm0qo2_250.gif

you have all that awesome and adorable build-up which I ACTUALLY LIKED this time, you focus so much on this story, YOU EVEN THINK OF FLASH SENTRY, THE MOST HATED TV-CHARACTER TO DATE, and yet, you pull of that f*cking ANIME-MOVE at the end? THIS HAS HAPPENED MORE TIMES THAN I CAN COUNT (so, at least, four times)! whoever came up with that idea, HE SHALL BURN! HE SHALL STEP INTO A PUDDLE AFTER HE JUST PUT ON NICE, DRY SOCKS! HE SHALL NEVER FIND THE PERFECT TEMPERATURE IN THE SHOWER! MAY HIS FAVOURITE ONLINEGAME DIE AND HIS FAVOURITE SINGLEPLAYER-GAME ALWAYS CRASH WHEN HE HASN'T SAVED FOR SIX HOURS!

tumblr_mvx5jiPM6B1sle2hmo1_r2_250.gif

ok I'm done now.

"We will stand for Everfree". even though Glorious (or gloria or whatever her name was) was a pretty boring villain with, once again, apparently no brain (if you have these crazy powers, why not just kill Filthy Rich or at least imprison him? it's not like his money or his status could save him), the song was very enjoyable although it also felt like it should've been more of an orchestra.

the hint to the next movie, showing us that the portal is "leaking" (pleaseletDiscordbeapartofthis,pleaseletDiscordbeapartofthis,pleaseletDiscord...). I can't wait to find out more about the magical rules in the EQG-world! although...who wants to bet with me that they'll have to give up their powers at the end to save the world from destruction?

the post-credit scene. if you give Pinkie the power to blow things up, what do you expect? that was freaking awesome!

• Brohoof 1

About Flash Sentry's scene with Sunset at about 28:30 remaining on Netflix (My personal favorite scene):

Finally! After being told that Flash and Sunset used to be together, we get to see them actually talk to each other and it reminded me why I liked Flash Sentry from the beginning: He's a nice guy.

When Sunset tells Flash without naming names that she wants to protect her friend (Sci-Twi), he responds with this: "Your friend is lucky to have someone like you to look for them...You changed a lot since we went out. You're so much nicer." Sunset was really grateful to hear that first part. He even suggested that they can start over as friends.

After Rainbow Rocks, I came up with a WMG that within the love triangle of Pony Twilight, Sunset, and Human Flash, what if they were individually secretly shipping the other two together as follows:

Twilight ships Flash with Sunset: As much as she has a crush on Flash, Princess Twilight knows her responsibilities are in Equestria. But she heard that Sunset and Flash used to be together before Flash broke up with her, likely because of Sunset's bullying. After the first film, Sunset is reformed, so Twilight can see those two get back together.

Sunset ships Twilight with Flash: As Sunset states in Rainbow Rocks, "Flash is a great guy, but I never really like him like him; I was just using him to become more popular." She most likely sees Twilight treating Flash with more respect than Sunset did to him.

Flash ships Twilight with Sunset: As much as he has a crush on Twilight, Flash saw how great Twilight and Sunset were in harmony with each other during the Finals of the Battle of the Bands. He might later have heard about the chemistry between the two girls. Being a nice guy, he would want his beloved to be happy.

After this film's release, I can see the Twilight shipping FlashSet theory above happening. Unlikely, but still.

I'm glad they kept Flash to how I've always enjoyed him in his brief moments of screentime: being a nice guy who help encourage our heroes.

Equestria Girls 1 (to Princess Twilight after defending after a frame job): "What was I going to do? Not prove your innocence? Wouldn't be much of a Canterlot Wondercolt, would I?"

Rainbow Rocks (to the Rainbooms after opening band practice): "Heard you outside. You guys are sounding really tight."

Friendship Games (to Sci-Twi after she won the first event for the other team, who didn't even applaud her): "Congratulations. You were really great!"

Legend of Everfree (to Sunset after she confides that her friend may be in trouble): "Your friend is lucky to have someone like you to look for them."

Whoever said "Nice guys finish last"; they were wrong!

• Brohoof 1

Please excuse my rage:

WHAT THE HECK?!!!!!! WHERE IS GAIA EVERFREE?!!!!!!!! I CAME HERE TO SEE THE F***ING PLANT MONSTER!!!!!!!! WHERE THE HECK IS SHE?!!!!! FALSE ADVERTISING MUCH?!!!!!!!!! SHE WAS THE FOCUS OF EVERY SINGLE ADVERTISEMENT!!!!!!! AND WHERE WAS SHE IN THE MOVIE?!!!!!!!!! A F***ING GHOST STORY!!!!!!!! THAT WAS IT!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE HECK?!!!!!!! I AM EXTREMELY PISSED!!!!!!  :=:

Also...

WHERE THE HECK IS PONY TWILIGHT?!!!!!!! I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MOVIE SINCE FRIENDSHIP GAMES JUST TO SEE PONY TWILIGHT!!!!!! YOU TEASED PONY TWILIGHT AND HUMAN TWILIGHT MEETING AT THE END OF THE LAST MOVIE!!!!!! SO WHERE THE HECK IS SHE?!!!!!!! WHAT THE HECK?!!!!!!!!! THEY LITERALLY ONLY EVEN MENTION EQUESTRIA/PONIES THREE TIMES IN THE ENTIRE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!  :=:

Finally...

STOP IT WITH THE F***ING ROMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :=:  :=:  :=:  :=:  :=:

*Edit: Well, at least they stopped the Twilight/Sunset shipping...  :adorkable:

Edited by Babyyoshi309

I avoided the temptation of watching it online through what aired in Brazil, but I watched it in full a couple of days ago. In fact, I'm now watching it for the fifth time.

http://www.fimfiction.net/blog/678781/equestria-girls-legend-of-everfree-review-major-spoiler-warning

Here is my lengthy review of Legend of Everfree over on my Fimfiction account. :) 

This was probably the 2nd best one. The reason why I didn't rank it #1 was because of the repetition. It repeated friendship games and the 1st one because as the trend goes, magic is used for malicious purposes. 

The songs were outstanding though, definitely doing some originals and remixes. 

And Sci Twi finally fell in love, and almost pulled one off. That was close. 

Finally got to sit down and watch this one. This was probably the least hyped EQG movie yet. Now most people know I'm a fan of the EQG series because I know it has its merits, and Sunset is probably one of the best developed characters in the Friendship is Magic franchise. But I have to say, I'm kind of in the middle on this one. First off, I wasn't really a fan of the premise. It just didn't click with me.

The movie itself was... Ok. It wasn't the worst, but it sure as hell wasn't the best. I may have to re-watch it again to determine if it's better than Friendship Games. The plot was alright, I liked how timber was a bait and switch with Gloriosa. I couldn't help roll my eyes when she was transforming. Who saw that one coming? (Everyone) Although, I did like how she was clearly on the brink of insanity which added a lot to her personality I think. She was also pretty cute. However, I feel like there were way too many cheesy moments in the movie. Felt like this one had way more than any movie before it.

The amount of romance in this movie really took me aback. It was right there center stage, something the other movies only made a passing thing every now and again. So it looks like they're establishing a new relationship especially for human Twilight. I figured it was because just in case for the future they need both Twilights, each one has their own love interest. What really surprised me is how Sunset and Flash hit it off. I actually can't believe that they're hinting at a relationship between the two. Does this mean they're going to completely drop the idea of the ponies coming over? I'm not sure how I feel about that, I don't think I really like it.

Anyway, the thing between Twilight and Timber was decent. It definitely felt more genuine as compared to Flash. At first I liked Timber, but his cocky abrasive attitude soon got on my nerves. Can't believe Twilight almost kissed him. And of course, she went full anime again. That gets me every time.  :lol:

The music was nothing special unfortunately. BUT, Midnight in Me was terrific. However it was about a minute and thirty seconds too short. It was emotional and strong and could've built up to something even bigger. Honestly, it reminded me of a James Bond movie opening song. Anyone else get that vibe?

For now, this is my EQG movie ranking:

Rainbow Rocks - 9.5

Friendship Games - 7

Legend of Everfree - 6.5

EG - 6

I hate to say, but this movie felt to me like a departure of that cinematic feel that the series had. It felt more like a TV special than anything. EG and Rainbow Rocks felt like events. Rainbow Rocks really perfected the cinematic element so perfectly, which is why it's my top EQG movie.

I did say right as the credits were rolling "I hope this movie introduces an entirely new crazy thing to the series", because I knew the premise wasn't anything special. In that regard, the movie delivered in some small ways I think. We all knew those small gems were something very similar to the Elements of Harmony. Then of course the ending scene with the statue base, back to where it all began. Clearly there's something encased inside the concrete that will be a plot element in the next movie.

With that said, I'm hoping this marks a turn around for the series. It just feels like they're going through the motions, EQG has lost its luster, with its climax being Rainbow Rocks. Here's hoping Legend of Everfree has built up to something much grander.

PS: Please bring back the Dazzlings.

Edited by takai

Adding to my last comment (this time not rage):

I hate what they did with Filthy Rich. The director pretty much just said, "we need a rich guy to try and take the camp, oh there is that Filthy Rich character! Let just use that!".

It kind of made me sad...  :okiedokieloki:

Also, THEY NEVER SAID WHERE THE MAGIC STONES CAME FROM!!!!!! I was very confused by the ending, if anyone can explain this, please do, I want to know...  :okiedokieloki:

Also, THEY NEVER SAID WHERE THE MAGIC STONES CAME FROM!!!!!! I was very confused by the ending, if anyone can explain this, please do, I want to know...  :okiedokieloki:

Right before the end credits rolled, we--the viewers-- saw that back at Canterlot High School, the Wondercolts Statue is still damaged from Midnight Sparkle's attack during the climax of the Friendship Games last film. (The portal is still there, but not the statue.) There's now a crack on the top of the podium where the statue used to be and it's been leaking Equestrian Magic!

Earilier in the film, when Sunset (and us) got a look into Gloriosa's memories, we saw that some time before the Wondercolt Campers would arrive, Gloriosa saw the Magic and follow it to the caves where she found the stones!

Combine the two pieces of info together and there's your answer: The Magical Stones were likely just regular stones until they were infused with Equestrian Magic that's been leaking over via the crack in the Wondercolts Statue!

What's great about this answer is that we the viewers are shown through visuals, not told extensively through dialog. A fine example of Show, Don't Tell, which is an important element of storytelling through a visual medium like film and t.v. shows!

Only if you let spoilers get in the way - I had no idea!

(deviating from Unlikeable Pony's comment now)

Also - I have to say it - the romance was adorable. it was done well and was not 2 Dimensional like Flash and Pony Twilight. There was some real cute, dynamic loves going on there. I hope they fall in love and get married in Equestria Girls 6: The College Years.

Only if you let spoilers get in the way - I had no idea!

(deviating from Unlikeable Pony's comment now)

Also - I have to say it - the romance was adorable. it was done well and was not 2 Dimensional like Flash and Pony Twilight. There was some real cute, dynamic loves going on there. I hope they fall in love and get married in Equestria Girls 6: The College Years.

Huh. I found the film did a lot to telegraph that way in advance. 

And yes, the romance was great. Would have loved more from it. 

• Brohoof 1

Right before the end credits rolled, we--the viewers-- saw that back at Canterlot High School, the Wondercolts Statue is still damaged from Midnight Sparkle's attack during the climax of the Friendship Games last film. (The portal is still there, but not the statue.) There's now a crack on the top of the podium where the statue used to be and it's been leaking Equestrian Magic!

Earilier in the film, when Sunset (and us) got a look into Gloriosa's memories, we saw that some time before the Wondercolt Campers would arrive, Gloriosa saw the Magic and follow it to the caves where she found the stones!

Combine the two pieces of info together and there's your answer: The Magical Stones were likely just regular stones until they were infused with Equestrian Magic that's been leaking over via the crack in the Wondercolts Statue!

What's great about this answer is that we the viewers are shown through visuals, not told extensively through dialog. A fine example of Show, Don't Tell, which is an important element of storytelling through a visual medium like film and t.v. shows!

Oh, I thought the ending was just setting up a sequel...

I put this on par with Friendship Games, I didn't think the songs were weak per say... I will say that they felt more "conventional" though. After Rainbow Rocks we might not get such another all around stellar OST. Friendship Games had only two songs I thought were mediocre, though Unleash the Magic, Friendship  Games theme and What more is out there  were excellent. 

My main issue with the movie is Sunset Shimmer taking the back seat and Twilight is essentially Sunset 3.0(Glimmer is Sunset 2.0) meaning 'another character looking for acceptance through redemption'. I really think Sunset needs to go back to Equestria, but therein lies the problem, without Sunset Shimmer, EQG would be meaningless. 

The Midnight Sparkle subplot went nowhere. I knew this would have never happened, but I rather would have had Midnight Sparkle be set free again from Twilight's anxiety. Because Sunset Shimmer 's redemption took 3 movies, and Sci-Twi's felt rushed to me.

Gloriosa was what saved this movie for me. I am happy we had an "evil" character who thought she was doing the right thing only to realize she made a mistake later on.

Its better than the first EQG though, EQG1 to me is a soundtrack movie, meaning the actual movie is mediocre to bad, but the songs are what save it.

The colors are off by more than just the white; compare the Geodes to the EOH here; the EOH are Pink, blue, purple, orange, red, purple, while the Geodes are Yellow, blue, white, purple, orange, pink, Red.

The EOH have 2 purples while the geodes only have one, and the Geodes have yellow and white which the EOH lack, as the EOH were designed to compliment the M6's color scheme while the Geodes are explicitly their color schemes.

That really doesn't change anything, just pointing out the color difference :P

sig-4682399.sig-4682399.large.png

sig-4682399.large.png

So I see. still images 1, paused videos zip, lol. Either way it's all up to hasbro from here. Here's hopin.

Overall, while there are some mildly enjoyable aspects here and there, I didn't really find Legend of Everfree very engaging. The main issue is that, while watching it, I wasn't particularly invested in either of the two main conflicts - Twilight's concerns about Midnight Sparkle and the Mane Seven's new magic powers, and Gloriosa's and Timber's efforts to stop the imminent loss of the camp to Filthy Rich. In fact, in several ways, this felt like an extended pilot episode for a TV series - the rather simplistic conflicts, giving the Mane Seven new magic powers to use in would-be future episodes, and a plot device for future episodes in the Equestrian magic leaking out of the portal.

First, I wasn't ever really invested in Twilight's concerns about becoming Midnight Sparkle or being the source of the Mane Seven's magic powers. Part of the problem is that there never was a good explanation for why Twilight transformed into Midnight Sparkle in Friendship Games in the first place. So if Twilight and the other characters (and the audience) don't know why Twilight transformed before, then should Twilight be worried that she'll transform again? The movie seems to lead the audience to think not, but I guess we don't know for sure. In either case, it's frustrating to watch Twilight fret about her (and the others') magic powers and possibly transforming again while simultaneously refusing to talk about those things or try to figure them out. If Twilight's transforming again, or her supposedly giving all of them dangerous new magic powers, is a legitimate concern, then she ought to talk about it and/or try to figure out the cause in order to stop it; if it's not a legitimate concern, then she ought to try to just forget about it. Instead, she doesn't do either of those things.

Later, after Twilight has used her magic powers a couple of times, the Mane Seven are under Rarity's shield and the brambles are surrounding them, and yet Twilight doesn't want to use her magic because she might turn into Midnight Sparkle and make things worse. For one thing, that sounds like a good reason for her to have tried to figure that out earlier, but now, it looks like all of them will possibly be dead unless they can escape, so I'm not sure how Twilight's using her magic to try to save them would make things worse. Even if Twilight were into transform into Midnight Sparkle, if she still allowed them to escape, then she could probably be talked down or stopped afterward. And then, when Twilight uses her magic powers, Midnight Sparkle almost takes over, but is stopped by Twilight with the encouragement of her friends. Again, why is Midnight Sparkle rearing her head here? Is Midnight Sparkle a "part of" Twilight, and why would that be the case? I guess it's nice that Twilight overcame Midnight Sparkle (with a little help from her friends), but I don't know why that's something Twilight has to do in the first place.

The other main conflict of the movie - Gloriosa's and Timber's current predicament, where Filthy Rich is going to take control of the land and build a spa resort - isn't really fleshed out enough to care much about it, either. In the flashback, Filthy Rich tells Gloriosa that she fell behind on her payments and that he owns the land now. But if the land has been in Gloriosa's family for generations, how did Filthy Rich come to own it? What are the payments which Gloriosa fell behind on making to Filthy Rich? While Filthy Rich is depicted as the materialist rich-guy stereotype, I think we need more details about what transpired prior to the movie before he can be simply assumed to be the villain. Consequently, I'm not convinced of or invested in the necessity of Gloriosa's drastic actions to save the camp. Again, it might be nice that the camp was saved in the end, but I don't know why it needed to be saved in the first place.

Next, while it's good to see the Mane Seven embracing their new magic powers by the end of the movie, there were a few things about them that were a little puzzling. First, it's a bit strange that Twilight's and Sunset's magic powers manifest earlier in the movie, but the other five's magic powers all first manifest in a very short time. After that, they're cautious and don't know how to control their powers, but after Sunset sings an inspirational song, suddenly they're all able to control and use their powers for positive purposes. Also, I can't help thinking that there are at least a few downsides to the Mane Seven accepting their new magic powers. For example, will Rainbow Dash be disqualified from future athletic events because of the potential of her using her super-speed/stamina? Will people avoiding touching Sunset if they don't want her seeing their innermost thoughts?

Finally, I find the "romance" between Timber and Twilight to be super-cringey, with Timber often coming across as a creep and full of himself. I would imagine that, in real life, if a camp counselor (i.e. someone in a position of nominal authority) instantly singled out one girl in a school group and "flirted" with her as Timber does, without even knowing a single thing about her, that might be considered kind of inappropriate. It could be seen as him not really doing his job to be counselor for the whole group. It also just seems kind of pointless, and setting themselves up to be disappointed later. Why would Timber or Twilight pursue a romantic interest in someone they've only seen at camp? Is it even possible for Timber and Twilight to see each other after camp is over? Do they even live anywhere close to each other? If I were one of Twilight's friends, I think asking those kind of questions would be my main reaction, rather than giggling about it or saying it's "adorable".

I put this on par with Friendship Games, I didn't think the songs were weak per say... I will say that they felt more "conventional" though. After Rainbow Rocks we might not get such another all around stellar OST. Friendship Games had only two songs I thought were mediocre, though Unleash the Magic, Friendship  Games theme and What more is out there  were excellent. 

My main issue with the movie is Sunset Shimmer taking the back seat and Twilight is essentially Sunset 3.0(Glimmer is Sunset 2.0) meaning 'another character looking for acceptance through redemption'. I really think Sunset needs to go back to Equestria, but therein lies the problem, without Sunset Shimmer, EQG would be meaningless. 

The Midnight Sparkle subplot went nowhere. I knew this would have never happened, but I rather would have had Midnight Sparkle be set free again from Twilight's anxiety. Because Sunset Shimmer 's redemption took 3 movies, and Sci-Twi's felt rushed to me.

Gloriosa was what saved this movie for me. I am happy we had an "evil" character who thought she was doing the right thing only to realize she made a mistake later on.

Its better than the first EQG though, EQG1 to me is a soundtrack movie, meaning the actual movie is mediocre to bad, but the songs are what save it.

Everfree Forest actually redeemed Sunset Shimmer's lousy character from being boring and lame to actually serving a purpose in this movie. Turns out her lust for power actually worked for the mane six, the "Embrace your power" is part of where that comes from showing that Sunset Shimmer shone the brightest in this movie than in the other ones. From what I could see from her role throughout the movies and her magic type she's definitely a support magic type kind of like a White Mage or Sailor Moon. She took the role of supporting her friends with words and encouragement like how she did with Twilight 2 convincing them of their true calling. Even as a villain she was more into commanding her minions which was still sort of a support based role as well as when she turned into a demon she was mind controlling the students, all still according to her ability as a cleric, she was just more of a dark priest or cultist as a villain. Her transformation and ability to close up portals that Midnight Twilight caused is also tied to her support magic.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1