Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Legend Of Everfree

The Cynical Lone Wolf

What did you think of the fourth Equestria Girls movie, Legend of Everfree ?  

146 users have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

• No; it was travesty
    • No..not really
    • Meh; I liked it and didn't like it at the same time
    • I enjoyed it, but could've been a whole lot better.
    • THAT WAS AN AWESOME MOVIE!!!

Now I'll give some first impressions on the new Equestria Girls movie which was leaked onto youtube a few days ago. I really liked it but I still think Rainbow Rocks and Friendship Games were a tad better. I loved the character development on Sunset Shimmer and Human Twilight in "Legend of Everfree". Sunset Shimmer is particularly great because she has become so compassionate and confident in herself. Sunset Shimmer now seems to be the very competent leader of the human characters. I loved Sunset's new magic powers! I also liked how Human Twilight was afraid of herself and had to forgive herself. The visuals at the end transformation with what might be the new elements of harmony was really well done in terms of animation and overall message. My only problem is that besides Sunset Shimmer and Human Twilight the other human 5 kind of seem just added on to push the story of the other 2 forward rather than being more distinct like in the other movies. I will watch "Legend Of Everfree" again in full when it comes out on DVD etc and review it in more detail then.

I just finished Legend of Everfree and I am pretty happy with what I got.

I really enjoyed the character arc of human Twilight and how she overcame the aftereffects of Midnight Sparkle.

Especially with how Sunset and Gloriosa played into this.

The animation was really great in this movie, possibly the best in the franchise.

There were some nice character moments between all of the mane characters, and it was nice to see that it was a team effort to defeat Gaea Everfree.

I also enjoyed seeing how they dealt with getting these new magical abilities.

Heck even Flash Sentry seemed to get a little bit of character development that I can appreciate.

While the songs weren't my favorites out of the franchise, I really did enjoy Embrace the Magic, Legend You Were Meant to be, and Hope Shines Eternal.

I am looking forward to seeing what happens next in the EQG series.

Hopefully we can finally get a tv series.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 2

I think each EqG is getting better and better.  I really loved this movie  :wub:   

I really like how empathetic Sunset Shimmer has come to be.  She's able to understand what Twilight thinks because of her own past, which also now that I think of it, really makes Sunset's "super power" very appropriate for her character.  She's really grown to be one of my favorite characters in the whole MLP Universe.

I liked the setting being at camp in the woods and whatnot. And Twilight struggling with Midnight. But that is pretty much all I liked. None of the new characters were memorable for me. The plot twist about losing the camp to a big developer type is so old and unoriginal, Gloriosa didn't even turn into Gaya Everfree after kind of a decent setup for her, and even if she had, the climax was absolutely same song different verse. Overcome by magic to turn into an uncontrollable sorceress? Come on. I could get behind Gloriosa being taken over by Gaya but they missed that mark by 100 miles. I dunno. Could have been so much better.

Edited by Lexamena
  • Brohoof 1

I'm not sure if I like this movie more than Friendship Games, but it's certainly close. I liked how this movie built on Twilight's fears of becoming Midnight Sparkle, something I feel they missed out on with Sunset. Speaking of Sunset, she just keeps becoming a better and better character with every movie. This is the first time she didn't appear unsure of herself since her reformation and it was heartwarming seeing her stick with Twilight in getting over her doubt.

As far as the songs, the only song I don't much care for is Embrace The Magic and that may change as I listen to it more. This Midnight in Me gave me legit chills, Stand By Everfree felt very Disney, especially since villain songs are always the best in those movies and Legend You Were Meant to be might be favorite in the entire movie.

Still, I do have a few complaints. For one, having Filthy Rich as the somewhat-antagonist felt kinda forced. He doesn't really do anything and in the end he just walks off in a huff.

Sunset's power also felt kinda... convenient. I remember one of the show writers saying at a con that if Sunset had an Element, it would be the Element of Empathy, so it kinda fits in that regard, but it still feels like she was only given that power so Twilight can get out of having to admit she's terrified of becoming Midnight Sparkle again to explain Gloriosa's motives without a lengthy villain monologue.

Also, and this is somewhat minor, I'm peeved that Human Twilight has wings. I could maybe understand that the magic is still connected to Princess Twilight, and that she had wings in her Midnight Sparkle form so it makes sense, it just doesn't feel right to me. Finally, they didn't even hide the fact the gems were going to go the Mane 7 in the end. Every single one is colored perfectly to one of them, and when Sunset and Twilight confront Gloriosa in the crystal cave, the last two gems on the pedestal are conveniently purple and red.

Speaking of those gems... can I just say I love they have actual Magical Girl outfits now? Not sure about the crystal wings, but they all look amazing, especially Sunset's. I mean, just look at this badass outfit!

medium.png

• Brohoof 5

Still, I do have a few complaints. For one, having Filthy Rich as the somewhat-antagonist felt kinda forced. He doesn't really do anything and in the end he just walks off in a huff

I found it really odd, because he's still Diamond Tiara's father and she's also visiting CHS.

I personally thought Legend of Everfree was an alright movie, but it does leave much to be desired, and I do mean a lot. 

I do like that the Equestria Girls movies are no longer having to rely heavily on MLP itself, Sci-Twi was still much like how I remember her from last year's movie (somehow, her and I can relate so much now, I'm legitimately creeped out), Flash, surprisingly has some character now and I like how the Mane 7 all have their own unique magical powers (I even joked while I was watching the film that they are all superheroes now). Didn't mind some of the songs, especially that one song that Sunset Shimmer sang (Embrace the Magic, I believe it was called???) although, some songs did feel a bit too poppy for my musical interests. The animation was possibly the best I've seen in any of the Equestria Girls films. I also liked that the film was not taking place at school. Also, did all the events of the last 3 movies seriously take place all in a single year? However, I don't think the writing was that good, as I either didn't get some jokes or others were too obvious, there were too many subplots for the time they had and I swear some of the subplots never got resolved, I'm kinda getting tired of the whole She-Demon thing (really, do you not have any other ideas for potential villains that might be more interesting than all the she-demons combined?). Oh, and Twilight and Timber Spruce were seriously the most boring, somewhat artificial and well, forced couple I've seen in any romantic subplot in any movie thus far. <mini-rant> it's as if the writers cannot give Twilight or Sci-Twi a love interest that is actually that interesting and doesn't feel forced in some way. No wonder I was thinking there would be a twist where Timber is somehow actually evil, or at least doing something evil. </mini-rant>. 

I don't think I'll be watching LoE again anytime soon. The most fun I had from the movie was my attempt to riff it MST3K style.

• Brohoof 2

ALRIGHT, time to try and write a long & detailed review for once! Well, at least detailed. Ish. :squee:

Legend of Everfree, the 4th Equestria Girls film, sees our 7 leading ladies heading to summer camp. After quite a catchy OP, what should they find but familiar camp trappings like tents, wood, and creepy camp counselors. One being Gloriosa, who's over-enthusiastic and seems to have Sunset hearing voices when she's near her, and Timber, who seems to have a hobby of creeping up on Twilight- seriously, how old is this guy?! :o

Anyway, camp stuff happens, scary stories are told(not purple socks AND burgundy dress! Oh the horrah!), and Timber creeps gets creepier in a different way to tell the story of Gaia Everfree, which arouses some of the girl's suspicions. Magic stuff then starts to happen, with Twilight being afraid the whole time Midnight Sparkle will overtake her again as she begins to move stuff with her mind, while her friends gain new powers as well and while fearful of controlling it(tho I totes need gifs of Rarity using her magic shield stat lol), they eventually come to embrace it, which I found to be a nice contrast. This is topped over with quite a bit of singing though, which I wasn't going to think I would be found of, but Rebecca Shoichet killed it with such differing singing voices for Twilight and Sunset I can't help but be impressed.

Eventually, the climax starts and the culprit of the new magic turns out to be Gloriosa, wearing strange rocks she found in a cave that Twilight and Sunset find her in around her neck that she's been using the magic of to try to help all the students have a better time, but only served to spark the mysterious events that have been happening throughout the movie. Earlier she encountered Filthy(Donald) Rich(Trump) who was threatening to take the camp away, so naturally her solution to this problem is to take the remaining stones in the cave and become yet another supreme magical being and use the power to wrap the whole camp in vines. Smart way to secure your real estate and trap people in forever, making what happens jn the camp stay at camp... if not for the power of friendship to come in and save the day, so the Mane 7 end up taking her down and getting the gems themselves which give them new outfits for some raisin. Gloriosa is stopped and doesn't remember anything, the girls use their powers to get a ball running the next night in a cave to fundraise money to stop Donald Trump, Timber creeper gets a date with Twily and almost a kiss from her(Gloriosa truly saving the day here, but this ship is indeed canonically sailed to perhaps some's dismay, but despite the creeper jokes I'm actually quite fine with it), and we end with Sunset and Twilight wondering where the magic stones came from, with a cut to Equestria and a creepy magic thing happening. Oh, and there's a dock that in the end no one can keep it fixed, Flash is a little more of a character, and Derpy is now named Muffins. :derp:

Overall, I enjoyed it, started a little slow but picked up quite decently when magic stuff started happening. Friendship Games is probably the best EqG movie so I'd rank it right below it above RR and the original. The movie's overall quality is comparable to the current season actually, so while a little rough it's still pretty good, but hopefully what's to come can improve what good we have here. :)

• Brohoof 1

I actually liked this movie, it might be one of my favourite EQG movies! I like what they are doing with Flash and Sunset, the possibility of them getting back together is interesting. I'm not sure about SciTwi and Timber though, at first I was really annoyed but meh its okay now I guess. I really liked Gloriosa though, she was my favourite character in the film. But it was obvious to me that she would have some sort of magical connection to Gaia Everfree so yeah.. 

But the most annoying part of this movie is...

SciTwi with wings. 

I'm sorry but I just can't. They really had to give her wings..  :okiedokieloki:

SciTwi did nothing to earn those wings, she is basically season one Twilight with glasses. When I saw her wings my reaction was:  :mellow:

It will take me a while to get used to those wings but ehhh, its okay I guess.. 

Edited by NerdyStarlight
  • Brohoof 5

Just finished the movie and, whew, that was a lot to take in. I actually liked it a lot (not as much as friendship games though). I was glad that the thing with SciTwi and Flash was cleared up-- before this movie, I thought it would be odd if they were a couple because SciTwi doesn't know Flash the way Twilight from Equestria does. I feel like Flash really needed the talk Sunset gave him. However, I DON'T like that Twilight always has to be paired with someone (also, Timber was pretty annoying in my opinion).

I loved the girls' new powers, they were super adorable. But I felt like the movie was totally centered around Twilight, Sunset, Timber & Gloriosa and that the rest of the mane 6 were just sort of there for comic relief.

All in all, I really did like LoE. I give it a, hmm... 3.5 out of 5.

Also, that ending though-- the portal is leaking magic? Possibly a set up for next year's MLP movie?

• Brohoof 1

Was able to watch the full movie on Netflix and oh man was it really good! I loved Sunset Shimmer and seeing her try to help Sci Twi out and at the same time be a supportive friend and help save Camp Everfree was very heartwarming. I loved all the songs and my favorite is probably Hope Shines Eternal. I also loved Gloriosa Daisy and found her to be a interesting character and interesting villain. I also liked her brother, Timber Spruce and enjoyed his relationship with Sci Twi. Seeing Midnight Sparkle was pretty cool and I was glad to see Sci Twi overcome her fears and embrace the magic inside her. Such a fantastic movie and I can't wait for the sequel.

post-5578-0-41050800-1475379976_thumb.jpeg

post-5578-0-56630200-1475379977_thumb.png

post-5578-0-70761700-1475379978_thumb.png

post-5578-0-00023800-1475379980_thumb.png

post-5578-0-66370800-1475379982_thumb.png

post-5578-0-92864400-1475379983_thumb.png

post-5578-0-59050800-1475379985_thumb.png

• Brohoof 3

Missed in my initial review: This film is truly gorgeous. I didn't always notice it because I was so bored, but the art style has been polished almost to a mirror sheen, the environments are all very nice, and the outfits look entirely natural given that nobody's wearing goddamn skirts for no discernible reason. The songs are okay but I didn't care much about the narrative purpose of any of them. I found the background music often struck a warm, low-key tone which I was really not a fan of. It felt so tonally milquetoast. 

That was good. Wish I could remember all of it, though.

So, now that Equestrian magic is leaking out of the portal and into the real world, I wonder what new adventures await.

P.S. the after-credits scene with Pinkie was hilarious.

Probably going to go with some sort of madoka style thing where the mane six fight girls possessed by magic and turned into demons, except with less killing and eating their essence to survive and more magical purification stuff.

I'm not sure if I like this movie more than Friendship Games, but it's certainly close. I liked how this movie built on Twilight's fears of becoming Midnight Sparkle, something I feel they missed out on with Sunset. Speaking of Sunset, she just keeps becoming a better and better character with every movie. This is the first time she didn't appear unsure of herself since her reformation and it was heartwarming seeing her stick with Twilight in getting over her doubt.

As far as the songs, the only song I don't much care for is Embrace The Magic and that may change as I listen to it more. This Midnight in Me gave me legit chills, Stand By Everfree felt very Disney, especially since villain songs are always the best in those movies and Legend You Were Meant to be might be favorite in the entire movie.

Still, I do have a few complaints. For one, having Filthy Rich as the somewhat-antagonist felt kinda forced. He doesn't really do anything and in the end he just walks off in a huff.

Sunset's power also felt kinda... convenient. I remember one of the show writers saying at a con that if Sunset had an Element, it would be the Element of Empathy, so it kinda fits in that regard, but it still feels like she was only given that power so Twilight can get out of having to admit she's terrified of becoming Midnight Sparkle again to explain Gloriosa's motives without a lengthy villain monologue.

Also, and this is somewhat minor, I'm peeved that Human Twilight has wings. I could maybe understand that the magic is still connected to Princess Twilight, and that she had wings in her Midnight Sparkle form so it makes sense, it just doesn't feel right to me. Finally, they didn't even hide the fact the gems were going to go the Mane 7 in the end. Every single one is colored perfectly to one of them, and when Sunset and Twilight confront Gloriosa in the crystal cave, the last two gems on the pedestal are conveniently purple and red.

Speaking of those gems... can I just say I love they have actual Magical Girl outfits now? Not sure about the crystal wings, but they all look amazing, especially Sunset's. I mean, just look at this badass outfit!

sig-4684267.medium.png

going to be honest, I was rather dissapointed in the outfits. They look pretty garrish and overall not that good. Sunset's is okay, but could have been better, and rarity's haircut is just terrible IMO.

I DID love AJ's outfit though, its one of the few that I 100% approve of.  I don't like pinkie's in movie version, but I've seen some good fanart that makes pinkie's outfit look better.

Honestly, if they decide to give them fulltime magical girl outfits that are recurring, I'd want them to sit down and redo the outfits so that they're a little better, tweet some stuff.

Edited by Unlikeable Pony

I read some of the opinions above and I agreed with a lot of what was said. This film has good and bad aspects and has improved on some while slipping a bit in others. I'll get to that but I also want to say that I also think that this franchise somewhat lacks a "vision" so to speak. I can easily get lost in thought thinking about what this franchise could have been. I can imagine this franchise turning into a episodic series after Rainbow Rocks, taking it into a new direction. The pilot would have been introducing the new Twilight as a character. Her problems, fears and differences would have been fleshed out excellently with each episode in the season, while ensuring that down the line, if they wanted to have her transform into Midnight Sparkle, it can make sense. I almost wrote, "Nightmare Sparkle" because she and NMM obviously have some ties in terms of theme but as I was watching the movie, I didn't get that same feeling between the two. I'll also get to that. So, a first season dealing with an expanded friendship games going into a second season; a new "love interest" for Twilight, a new setting, a new antagonist making life in the forest a weird but magical experience as the girls understand what drives the legend of everfree. Anyway, what the difference is is that as some said, the antagonists just don't cut it in a way. They're not good enough. In this film and the previous, there is something lacking. Maybe in ambition or character perhaps. They are not as interesting although the camp leader, Gloriosa, was an improvement in theme and the use of her powers was done well.

I agree in a lot of ways what others have said. The focus on Sunset/Twilight's friends is a step up from Friendship Games. But the focus on certain personality traits gets old after a while, specifically with Rarity. The way the plot moves forward makes me interested but it struggles to hold my attention while other things are going on. As I said about an episodic series, I think having multiple subplots could work better with more time for each to flourish. I can also imagine each girl learning her powers over time, especially Sunset and ultimately, Twilight. And speaking of her, Twilight's powers and reluctance towards using them make sense but tying it all to Midnight Sparkle doesn't make too much sense. Maybe someone can help me understand but she doesn't have the same desire that drove Luna to becoming Nightmare Moon. Science and knowledge might lead to coveting too much and that's why she was consumed by magic. But that was being consumed. It wasn't the same as Luna being willingly converted. So where does the fear of turning back into Midnight Sparkle come from? No desire should mean no fear? I don't know. Maybe I'm totally wrong. To also borrow what other said, in contrast, Gloriosa had a better motivation of being transformed. I was a bit disappointed though that the Gaia wasn't more of a real thing in the story. An episodic series would have handled that scenario well.

The setting is overall well; colorful, interesting and allows for good character interaction. The music is not as good as previous movies but it's okay. I like the theme of nature and of something like reclaiming land being used. Making it contrast with greed sort of makes Gloriosa look sympathetic. She's trying to do some good in her own way.

Overall, I think this would have been better as a TV series. Even expanding Flash Sentry and Sunset could have been done that way. Of course there was something at the end with that magic thing but who knows what will be done with that. Anyway, it is a decent film. I'll watch it again to perhaps improve my understanding.

if i'm honest. i wasn't the biggest fan of it. for one. i don't like the 'love' side of equestria girls, seemed like the opposite of what i look for in my little pony, if i wanted romance i would watch a romance comedy movie. but other then that..eh, i guess. it feels like the movies at this point are a cash grab. an about the twilight timber thing..i dont care about people shipping twilight, but am i the only one that actually finds the movies really cringey with the love?

Well... that was disappointing. I was really bored by this one. Once again, this series seems to be afraid of engaging with its thematic ideas on a deeper level, and worse, this one had the gall to be really repetitive as well. It feels like the series is spinning its wheels, and it never managed to get me invested in Twilight's own internal conflict. Which is bad, because the rest of the film has little else to offer - the romance is underdeveloped, the rest of the mane six are depicted shallowly, the humour is frequently mild, the plot is unengaging, and, most appallingly, Sunset Shimmer isn't especially interesting. This one really bored me. 

Full review at my offsite blog

so it basically has the same problems as eqg1. underdeveloped romance. shallow characters. and 'eh' humour.

oh yeah, it's also the fact of that "Flash gets over twilight" So..did no one actually ever say "hey flash, it's not the same girl" ?

• Brohoof 1

so it basically has the same problems as eqg1. underdeveloped romance. shallow characters. and 'eh' humour.

This one is more ambitious, but I find the first film more entertaining.

This one is more ambitious, but I find the first film more entertaining.

i honestly believe at this point, eqg is just that one little thing they know gets them money, because bronies, even if the disliked the series will still watch it..simply because they wanna see if it improved on anything. sadly, they didn't. in my honest opinion, i rather eqg3. it ditched the needed love plot that plagued 1 and a little bit of 2 (not much) and focused on a nice friendship, eqg4 has some of those elements, but brings back the love plot, for no reason other then to annoy people who

1: Dislike twi ships

2: like flashlight (and form my understanding, sunset made flash basically forget about twilight, and get over her. guess no one just said "wrong twilight, bro." so now if pony twi comes back shes probably in for one big ass heartbreak because of her friend.)

• Brohoof 1

well, he's been shifted over to being sunset's New love interest, so he's not "Fully" gone.

it seems like the staff have decided that, rather than the "Super cool guy" person that they had in mind for the first movie, Flash's purpose in this series is to basically be the uncool buttmonkey, since he's more or less a lost puppy at this point.

Well, thats what happens when the fans hate your new character made only to be a potential love interest for Twilight that went NOWHERE. Again, all those fanfics for nothing, especially given the fact that the pony that looked like him at the end of the movie and other episodes was confirmed NOT to be Flash!

Edited by MovieLord101

I'd say this is actually the best Equestria Girls movie yet. They really cleaned it up with this one. While the other three movies were way too generic and lackluster, this one really compensated for all of it. A less cliche villain, Sunset Shimmer actually being played onto her strengths and what she originally was seen in a positive light, an unexpected twists on who was actually causing all the problems, the issues being multi-handed like Filthy Rich wanting to change it to a spa, a tiny bit of self-reflection, AND they left many interesting questions and cliffhangers for bronies to play around with, the writers have done a good job on Legends of Everfree.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 2

I enjoyed this movie far more than the others, but that has nothing to do with the story or quality.

I watched it at a viewing party last night, so it was all my local brony friends cheering and cringing together.  

---

I will echo the people that liked being out in nature, and not at the school.  

I really liked that the major conflicts were not good-vs-evil based.  They managed to make an epic final battle be between sides that just want what's best for everyone.  sorta. 

Pinkie was in rare form, and that made the strength of the story matter less.  from her explosives, to her after-credits seceen, to the image of the inside of her brain, she was on point.  

I enjoyed it, but will probably never watch it again.

I personally loved it. It ranks up there with me with Rainbow Rocks, and I thought the script was very solid. I am short of time, but it truly made me happy. It was way better than Friendship Games for me, that's for sure.

• Brohoof 1