Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If... any of the main 6 die in the movie?

Mr.Hoofs

Naw, Hasbro has learned the hard way what happens when you kill beloved characters in a movie version of a very popular cartoon show.

Although if Hot Rod shows up, we are all screwed.

I liked Hot Rod though :l If he actually showed up I'd probably lose it

(Do note that I haven't seen S3 or S4 yet, where he supposedly took a turn for the worst)

If any was to die it would either be a new character or one of the minor supporting characters.

Either that or one will die and be revived. If it's Celestia she would probably be revived as "Celestia the White."

Gandalf_the_challenge_master_movie.jpg

• Brohoof 2

I liked Hot Rod though :l If he actually showed up I'd probably lose it

(Do note that I haven't seen S3 or S4 yet, where he supposedly took a turn for the worst)

S3 of the original cartoon? It is a mixed bag... some of the episodes are so awful it hurts, but some of the best Transformers lore of all time comes from this season. But I will say S3 Hot Rod/Rodimus = worst Prime ever.

S4 was only 3 episodes and so horribly rushed they are almost unwatchable.

But Hasbro had such hateful feedback over that whole movie, not just the multiple deaths, but the multiple NEEDLESS deaths... that I can't ever see them doing anything even close to that in any show ever again. Even if they had a brilliant idea of how to portray the death of a major character, I think the fear of the fallout that would follow would prevent them from even touching it. There are a lot of ways they can change the format of the show and take it in new directions, but killing off characters is not the way to go about it.

If Hot Rod shows up in MLP, yeah.. someones gonna die.

If any was to die it would either be a new character or one of the minor supporting characters.

Heh, they'd have to throw in a redshirt!

Celestia: "The ponies going to fight the new super villain will be Twilight, Rarity, AJ, Pinkie, Fluttershy, Rainbow, and background pony #4."

Background Pony #4: "Aw, crap."

Either that or one will die and be revived. If it's Celestia she would probably be revived as "Celestia the White."

This kind of already happened in Magical Mystery Cure.  At least, that's how it works in my headcanon.

You can't kill off a pony, even a background pony, without destroying what FiM is. You can, however, make a lot of fanart depicting the killing off of a pony without changing what FiM is. I don't think that's the point though. I can't imagine there ever being an actual canon death, unless Pinkie starts using grape shot. Rainbow grape shot. Whoops, I'm not supposed to be laughing out loud at two in the morning. The point is, the show doesn't really incorporate death, some fans just expect it to.

You can't kill off a pony, even a background pony, without destroying what FiM is. You can, however, make a lot of fanart depicting the killing off of a pony without changing what FiM is. I don't think that's the point though. I can't imagine there ever being an actual canon death, unless Pinkie starts using grape shot. Rainbow grape shot. Whoops, I'm not supposed to be laughing out loud at two in the morning. The point is, the show doesn't really incorporate death, some fans just expect it to.

They've shattered ponies into pieces without issues before and heavily implied the death of an entire city of Ponies being eaten by changelings in the Chrysalis comic

861992__semi-dash-grimdark_idw_king+somb

885199__safe_queen+chrysalis_idw_spoiler

I mean, they've already done this. Remember back in season 3 when Twilight became an alicorn? What happened was, she was killed and then revived as an alicorn.

Edited by Bright Lights

They've shattered ponies into pieces without issues before and heavily implied the death of an entire city of Ponies being eaten by changelings in the Chrysalis comic

sig-4708031.861992__semi-dash-grimdark_i

sig-4708031.885199__safe_queen%20chrysal

As I understand it, the comics aren't canon and have different writers and artists. Just read a couple of them. They are darker in tone, as comics seem to usually be. I will not assume the movie will reflect them.

Solely based off the show, I remain by my answer.

They might do kind of a fake-out with that idea where one of the mane 6 supposedly sacrifices herself to save the others (most likely Rainbow Dash or Applejack) and they all weep over their dead friend, until she comes up next to them unnoticed, asking what they're crying over. A few seconds pass, it suddenly clicks for them, and they all joyfully embrace their friend, relieved that she's alright.

That's the closest we might get to a character dying. Those scenes are usually predictable in this kind of film, but they can get some people emotional in spite of that.

While it sounds cool in theory, I don't think it'd be cool in execution. For one this trope almost always feels lame and cheap to me, like the creators shooting paintballs at your house and then running off laughing. Plus it would be kind of hard to watch in this case, because we know they aren't really going to kill off one of the flippin' Mane 6. Now, of course, for the little girls watching... there would be more weeping than just the onscreen tears. :lie:

Now, if one of the Mane 6 really and truly did die? I'd file a lawsuit against Hasbro. Namely because their movie would be irrefutably un-canon to the show as things stand. :orly: Plus all the broken hearts and tears (from more than just the kids  :ph34r: )

Edited by PonyMage
  • Brohoof 2

Celly would be a good candidate, as mentor, big good, and stuff archetype characters usually kick the bucket. 

Like Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn from the star wars movies. I don't think any main character would die in the movies, because each person has a favorite and even killing off one will result in a large portion complaining.

Edited by genessee

While it sounds cool in theory, I don't think it'd be cool in execution. For one this trope almost always feels lame and cheap to me, like the creators shooting paintballs at your house and then running off laughing. Plus it would be kind of hard to watch in this case, because we know they aren't really going to kill off one of the flippin' Mane 6. Now, of course, for the little girls watching... there would be more weeping than just the onscreen tears. :lie:

Now, if one of the Mane 6 really and truly did die? I'd file a lawsuit against Hasbro. Namely because their movie would be irrefutably un-canon to the show as things stand. :orly: Plus all the broken hearts and tears (from more than just the kids  :ph34r: )

It would be the Transformers Movie all over again.

That's highly unlikely, but it's important to remember that Optimus Prime got killed off a few times - even if he DID come back - and i'm pretty sure that the brother of one of the G.I.-Joe main characters died, so it wouldn't be the first time a character from a cartoon based on a  Hasbro property died.

What i'm saying is that a chance exists, but it's far too small to be taken into account.

Edited by GreenGreenWhirlWind

When did they last do this?!

The original Transformers 1986 movie, where a majority of the show's original cast was killed off for the sole purpose of promoting new toys

• 3 weeks later...

Do you think any of the ponies probably die in the movie?

No, not the mane six. Maybe a minor character, though. However, if any of them die, I hope it's Applejack.

Edited by Clare Gundersen

I hope that if any of them die, it's Fluttershy

Death in a kids' movie?  Maybe if it's done tastefully and has a good reason.  Perhaps in the final battle, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Fluttershy get "killed" by the big bad guy, Twilight defeats the bad guy but mourns for her friends but soon discovers they're just unconcious, they wake up and Twilight ends up crying for joy to have her best friends back and they all hug.  Cliched as heck?  Yes.  But would I enjoy that?  YES.

• Brohoof 2

Die Die Die -- everypony Die...  As the cloud form of Jack the Ripper emerges from star trek into equestria.

I'd actually be really surprised if they took out a main 6.  Think of what that would do to toy sales.

• 1 month later...

If any character that could "vanish" it could be Celestia. If any pony does it has to be a very sad sacrificing tale. But then again they might pull a "Celestia the White" returning/resurrecting.

I hope that if any of them die, it's Fluttershy

Death in a kids' movie?  Maybe if it's done tastefully and has a good reason.  Perhaps in the final battle, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Fluttershy get "killed" by the big bad guy, Twilight defeats the bad guy but mourns for her friends but soon discovers they're just unconcious, they wake up and Twilight ends up crying for joy to have her best friends back and they all hug.  Cliched as heck?  Yes.  But would I enjoy that?  YES.

If one was going to go down she would have to go down like an OG fighting all the way. 

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I highly doubt that any of the mane six will die in the movie. However, if one of them did, my guess is that it would be Applejack, I don't know why. I just have a feeling! I hope nopony dies, that would be pretty horrific :(