Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

FireSpitter - The Shadow King

FireSpitter

Ok. 

It's pretty good. The number one this piece lacks is more power. Give your guitar more distortion and add more shredding elements to the piece. It sounds more like a minor triumphant entry, rather than a pure anthem for King Sombra. I like the tempo you chose, but you needed more. I think those tingy bells kinda took the power away from the piece. Replace those with bright symphonic chimes to up the energy. Choirs, brass, bright strings and some sawtooth synth brass would go perfectly with this piece. 

To further add on to the feeling of the piece, some clips of Sombra's laughter with thunder and lightning would really make this piece shine. 

In terms of your instruments and mix, your drums would certainly benefit from some depth. They have too much high end. Also, bulk up your guitars with some depth as well. Your lead guitar seems to overpower the backup guitar and bass. I would dial in a small little chorus on the backup guitar to ease some of that dryness. 

In terms of chords, I see you hung around the I, VII, VI and V, knowing that this piece is in the key of A# minor. Kudos to using four chords, but mix them around a little and implement the iv, III and maybe even the ii like:

I-VI-iv-V

VI-VII-III-iv

i-III-VII-iv

There are many more patterns you could do. 

In terms of playing techniques, like I said before, add a little more shred elements. In addition, on longer notes, put some vibrato into them to give them a little more character. 

All in all, it's a good start, but it could definitely use quite a bit of development. I'm always here if you need any help with what I said in my critique. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

Love it. I can feel the tyrannical sovereignty of King Sombra. I can imagine him saying, "I'm a king, there is no will I'll bow to." And walk away like a boss.

Either that or Tirek attempting to take over Crystal Empire and King Sombra appears telling him this was HIS world to rule not Tirek and obliterating him creating an unexpected change of events another wrong makes another wrong right.

Edited by cider float

• 2 weeks later...