Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Catching Up On S6: Any Episodes I Should Skip?

Denim&Venöm

So I'm quite a bit behind in viewing season 6. The last one I watched was the Hearthswarming episode. Sounds liek I may not be the only one as well.

So when myself and others do get back to watching, are there any particularly bad, bland or cringe worthy episodes we should just skip and not waste our time on?

Feel free to explain why, but do try to keep spoilers to a minimum. 

Do not watch the premiere or "Applejack's Day Off". Those were the only episode this season that I found bad. The rest were great.

Though if there is one episode you SHOULD NOT skip, it is "No Second Prances". That was the best episode of the entire show!  :D

• Brohoof 1

So I'm quite a bit behind in viewing season 6. The last one I watched was the Hearthswarming episode. Sounds liek I may not be the only one as well.

So when myself and others do get back to watching, are there any particularly bad, bland or cringe worthy episodes we should just skip and not waste our time on?

Applejack's Day Off and Cart Before the Ponies are both pretty skippable IMO. Though really I never advise skipping any episode since obviously everyone has a completely different perspective of them. And you might like an episode a lot of the fandom doesn't and might dislike an episode a lot of the fandom loves.

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 2

"Applejack's Day Off" and "The Cart Before the Ponies" don't have a whole lot to offer unless you're really willing to dig for it. "Buckball Season" ain't great either, although it certainly has its moments. Everything else is at least mostly entertaining.

Edited by AlexanderThrond

Don't let people decide for you! I recommend that you decide which ones you like and don't like by watching them yourself.

• Brohoof 1

NEWBIE DASH. Bleh, its cancer, skip it big time.

I wouldn't say that. Hard to say how you'll feel about it, especially if you're not an analytical type like I am, but I think you're potentially robbing yourself of an episode with some very interesting ideas if you skip it. 

Well, in order to not miss anything, I should recommend you to watch the whole season eventually. If you're in a tight schedule however, I can advice which episodes you should skip for now:

1-Top episodes you should skip: Applejack's Day Off, and Cart Before the Ponies. They ain't abysmally bad, just boring

2-Episodes that are more entertaining, but ain't otherworldy  are: Every Little Thing She Does (the latest episode at this time), Stranger than Fan Fiction (surprisingly for a Daring Do episode :huh:) and 28 Pranks Later

3-Episodes that are high tier, but you can skip if your schedule is TOO tight: Flutter Brutter, Spice Up You're Life (yes, I did THAT on purpose  :orly: ) The Times They are a Changeling, Dungeon & Discords, and BuckBall Season

4-These are THE episodes YOU, MUSTN'T, SKIP, NO, F@#$ING, MATTER, WHAT  :angry: : The Fault in Our Cutie Marks, Saddle Row Review, and Viva las Pegasus  :smug:

I've only listed episodes after the Heartwarming Tail, I'm just assuming you watched the season up to that point. That's why I haven't listed episodes previous to it

I can never tell people to skip episodes(even episodes I utterly detest), but must watches include - Gauntlet of Fire, Saddle Row Review, Hearth's Warming Tale, Stranger Than Fanfiction, Times Are A Changeling, and Viva Las Pegasus

• Brohoof 2

I don't know what all the hate is for Applejack's day off is about, I mean it was an alright episode but it wasn't THAT bad.  I enjoyed it personally.  

I wouldn't really skip any episodes if it were me, but if I had to, I would agree, skip The Cart Before the Ponies. 

Definitely make sure you watch The Saddle Row Review, that's one of the best episodes in the show imo.

Edited by shy0wl

As M'Gann already stated, I wouldn't personally advise skipping any episodes, as everyone has their own different views that often differ greatly. If you asked me though, the premiere itself was rather forgettable aside from Sunburst, who would be the 1 saving grace of the episode.

Conversely, I will now tell you which episodes you should NOT skip. The Spike episodes are on a whole very memorable and have great character development, emotion and action, even the Discord one. Also The Fault in Our Cutie Marks is a great CMC episode to watch with a nice lesson and with a great griffon character, Gabby. 

Aside from that enjoy catching up with the season. Its always fun to watch episodes without knowing what's gonna happen.

I'm going to jump on the train of listing this season's "essential" episodes, and I think my list will be longer than most.

You've already seen:

"The Crystalling," an absurdly fresh episode which is criminally underrated.

"The Gift of the Maud Pie," which is a blast.

"A Hearth's Warming Tale," which is all sorts of incredible.

You can look forward to:

"The Saddle Row Review," which is unique and funny.

"Flutter Brutter," which has the best Fluttershy in years.

"Stranger Than Fan Fiction," which is quite fun.

"The Times They Are a Changeling," which is very powerful.

"Dungeons & Discords," which is absurdly fun.

"The Fault in Our Cutie Marks," which is the sweetest thing.

Harder to recommend "Newbie Dash" or "Every Little Thing She Does," but both are important to their leads' character arcs and are episodes I find very fascinating to boot.

• Brohoof 1

I can think of two:

Newbie Dash: A complete mockery of Rainbow Dash and everything she has done up to this point and it spits all over her dream while making the Wonderbolts look like assholes that try to justify themselves. Easily my most hated episode of the series and that really is saying something.

Flutter Brutter: Flutter's parents are a real treat, but the main focus, her brother Zephyr Breeze, is dreadful. He is such an unlikable douche yet the episode is trying to make us root for him. By the end of the episode, I still hated him just as much as the start and I feel like that is a sign of something wrong.

Every other episode of the season is at minimum passable to me.

"Applejack's Day Off" and "Stranger Than Fan Fiction" don't have a whole lot to offer unless you're really willing to dig for it. "Buckball Season" ain't great either, although it certainly has its moments. Everything else is at least mostly entertaining. 

"Stranger than Fan Fiction" was a great episode, don't skip that one!!!  :-o

NEWBIE DASH. Bleh, its cancer, skip it big time.

Applejack's day off as well, and 28 pranks later are not winners either.

First of all, as poorly executed as "Newbie Dash" was, you should DEFINITELY NOT SKIP IT!!!!!! It is extremely story heavy. It would be like skipping the episode where they reform Discord.  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

Applejack's Day Off: I agree, skip that one, it is basically just a half an hour of filler. (with some bad stuff thrown in)

DON'T SKIP 28 PRANKS LATER!!!!!! The story is garbage, but the episode is extremely enjoyable!  :-o

Flutter Brutter: Flutter's parents are a real treat, but the main focus, her brother Zephyr Breeze, is dreadful. He is such an unlikable douche yet the episode is trying to make us root for him. By the end of the episode, I still hated him just as much as the start and I feel like that is a sign of something wrong.

He is supposed to be unlikable... You are not supposed to root for him, you are supposed to hope that he gets better...  :okiedokieloki:

That episode was executed very well and was one the best episodes of the season.

• Brohoof 1

He is supposed to be unlikable... You are not supposed to root for him, you are supposed to hope that he gets better...  :okiedokieloki:

That episode was executed very well and was one the best episodes of the season.

That's the problem, he never got better. He was a prick throughout the entire episode and by the end, all I was was that he was now a prick that could style hair. That didn't do anything for me.

• Brohoof 1

You let people decide what you watch? Why dont just watch the preview, read synopsis, review or anythings, people just bring any episode they personally hate and tell you not watching them  :orly: oh well...

Well, talk about skipping episodes, you should stay away from Applejack Day Off, skip it or you are suffered.  

The Cart Before Ponies is not totally terrible but still unnesessary, it is SAFE TO SKIP IT.

When you watch the premiere, skip any parts contain that Eldritch Abomination and watch the rest, Starlight & Spike are really good in this ep, dont skip them, OK!!! 

Dungeon & Discord, if you are boardgamer, give it a try. If you are not a boardgamer or you already watch a better version somewhere (Gravity Falls), you may be disappointed :orly:  

That's all I can think of, it's up to you to decide.

Serious, if you like Dash at all, sitting through Newbie Dash is torture. I would literally have preferred a throw away line "Oh, Dash isn't here because she's been called up to be a full Wonderbolt" in some other episode to what we actually got in that episode. And I'm not particularly a RD fan.