Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is it time to make a story arc out of Big Mac's heroic desires?

BrawnyCharger

I've been mentioning this for quite sometime. But I think that the shows creative staff seem to have forgotten about something from an episode that is the perfect starting base for a new story arc.

Of course I'm talking about Big Mac's speech at the end of "Brotherhooves Social" in which he tells Apple Bloom about his envy of Applejack's heroic status. 

Ever since that episode, I've been hoping for the writers to capitalize on that moment and begin making a complete story arc out of it. It's a fresh story arc that has full potential to provide great development for Big Mac's character. After all, each of the Mane 6 have more than likely come full circle. The Cutie Mark Crusaders have already reached their goal. So how about having Big Macintosh work more towards the goal of being a hero in his own right?

Keep in mind this thread is only focusing on ONE aspect of the character development: The "dreams of heroism" aspect.

The problem is that the writers haven't done anything to work Big Mac towards that goal. (Unless Dungeons and Discords counts, but that was more of a fantasy roleplaying than anything else) They seem to be stuck in a routine with episodes STILL focusing on the likes of the Mane 6, Spike, Starlight Glimmer, and the CMC. Maybe it IS planned but they're just saving it for the 7th season. Maybe they just need some help with ideas on how to make it happen. 

Do you think it's time for the writers to capitalize on Big Mac's wishes to be a hero and start working towards that big hero moment?

What sort of heroic deeds can you think of in which Big Mac can do to achieve that goal?

I don't think it would work for an entire story arc, but a singular episode? That could get a ton of focus and it could be great. This might not be the best idea for this particular thing but I thought of something where he is not considered a hero because of big adventures and whatnot, but a hero for his support to his family. Something like that, I like the idea of it, though it may not match this description. :P

• Brohoof 1

The funny thing is, based on the last episode, it sounds like Big mac has had a load of Adventures in the past that act as noodle incidents, what with him hiding from some giant monster in the mud and the whole "With alotta power comes a whole lotta responsibility" jokes.

• Brohoof 1

The funny thing is, based on the last episode, it sounds like Big mac has had a load of Adventures in the past that act as noodle incidents, what with him hiding from some giant monster in the mud and the whole "With alotta power comes a whole lotta responsibility" jokes.

Now there's an idea for a story arc. Big Mac sharing with Apple Bloom some of his greatest adventures through flashbacks. That would make for a great origins story. One has to wonder if they're on the same level as those of Daring Do.

• Brohoof 1

Well if there were to be a season 7, I would like to get another Big Mac episode to focus on this.

Plus I am kind of curious what the scenario where he was hiding from a monster was like.

I feel like a flashback to that alone could make for an interesting experience.

• Brohoof 1

I think Big Mac needs a little more attention from the writers in general.

No question about it. The writers did lay the foundations for that opportunity to do so last season. Now they have to capitalize on that chance.

I've also seen episodes from other forms of media in which the main heroes are put in positions in which they're unable to save the day and it's up to one or more of the side characters to save the day. This would be a PERFECT chance for Big Mac to achieve that goal.

• Brohoof 2

I RPed with my girlfriend about the Map calling other ponies beside the Mane 6. It would give Twiley something to investigate and dork out over and Big Mac gets to be special. Win-win!

• Brohoof 1

No question about it. The writers did lay the foundations for that opportunity to do so last season. Now they have to capitalize on that chance.

I've also seen episodes from other forms of media in which the main heroes are put in positions in which they're unable to save the day and it's up to one or more of the side characters to save the day. This would be a PERFECT chance for Big Mac to achieve that goal.

Yeah, one of my complaints about the show is a lack of developed male characters. It's not even like they would need to introduce new characters, they already have them! They've got several male characters that are more than just background ponies, but they don't bother developing.

They wouldn't need to do much. Just a little more attention towards those characters would be great.

• Brohoof 1

I RPed with my girlfriend about the Map calling other ponies beside the Mane 6. It would give Twiley something to investigate and dork out over and Big Mac gets to be special. Win-win!

Maybe he can be sent along with either Fluttershy, Cheerilee or Twilight or by himself or with any 2 or all 3 to a place in Equestria where education is a huge problem. This would make for a great opportunity for him to showcase his fancy math skills that others have talked about.

• 2 months later...

How about this: An old rival of Big Mac's from a long time ago shows up at Sweet Apple Acres, attacks and injures Applejack, kidnaps Apple Bloom, and orders Big Mac to battle him or else.

Sounds like the perfect set up for Big Mac's big hero moment to me.

I could see it working out as something that happens by accident, where Mac just happens to be in the right place at the right time, and he realizes that he's the only pony who can act to save Flutt--I mean, uh, the pony in trouble.  :lie:

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

How about participating in any of the rodeos in Equestria that AJ usually participates in. I'm MORE than confident that there are some events that Big Mac can win a blue ribbon in any contests that can require strength.

I would love to see a Big Mac episode in S7... but it mystifies me why they missed an opportunity to utilize him in To Where and Back Again along with the others.

I agree with you. That was a perfect chance to use Big Mac.

• 8 months later...