Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming SNES or Genesis?

CastletonSnob

Oooooo This is a conversation that I am very familiar with. I owned both as a kid, however I am going to have to go with the SNES, simply because it had so much more going for it:

• Better sound over the Genesis/MD's recycled 8-bit chip from the Master System
  • Graphics of the SNES were superior, there's no doubt about that, even the resolution was higher.
  • Controller was superior and became the standard for controls.
  • More classic games on the SNES that have become the steeple of 16-bit games

Both are amazing systems, but I think it is pretty obvious that the SNES is superior.

Oooooo This is a conversation that I am very familiar with. I owned both as a kid, however I am going to have to go with the SNES, simply because it had so much more going for it:

• Better sound over the Genesis/MD's recycled 8-bit chip from the Master System
  • Graphics of the SNES were superior, there's no doubt about that, even the resolution was higher.
  • Controller was superior and became the standard for controls.
  • More classic games on the SNES that have become the steeple of 16-bit games

Both are amazing systems, but I think it is pretty obvious that the SNES is superior.

I think the SNES was more powerful than the Genesis. It was able to run Doom. Not very well, but it was able to run it. 

I think the SNES was more powerful than the Genesis. It was able to run Doom. Not very well, but it was able to run it. 

LOL remember the 32X port of Doom? Where they had to add a border around the game just to get it to run.

LOL remember the 32X port of Doom? Where they had to add a border around the game just to get it to run.

The SNES definitely had better sound. I don't think there's any Genesis game that has music as good as Super Mario RPG's, which has some of the best music for the system. 

The SNES definitely had better sound. I don't think there's any Genesis game that has music as good as Super Mario RPG's, which has some of the best music for the system. 

Mostly because of the recycled sound chip from the Master system, but I will admit I did like the "metal" sound of the Genesis at times. However there is no denying the power of the SNES music library:

https://youtu.be/eDZ2W0GpP_E

https://youtu.be/iWMN91gMD_4

https://youtu.be/4XVA_mFpbbI

Can't say for myself. I never had the opportunity to play a Genesis. :/

With the advent of emulators though I can recommend some of the best titles for the system if you ever want to see what it was all about. .3.

What all do you recommend?

Castlevania: Bloodlines, while not as good as Castlevania 4 on the SNES, is a worthy entry in the Castlevania series for the Genesis. Fairly tight controls that respond well, good graphics and the action is fun. Always a good choice if you like action platformers. Well worth investing time into.

And extremely underrated side scrolling Zelda-esque RPG is Wonderboy in Monster World. It's one of the games that inspired the band, Dragonforce and what a lot of their songs are based upon.

I actually did a video on this where I covered the top 10 games for the system:

The SNES for sure. Not only did it have better visual and soundfidelity, but it had the far superior controller and in my opinion, a much better library of games. Super Mario World, Megaman X, Killer Instinct, Donkey Kong Country, Starfox, all of this on one system? Yes please. :D

I loved my Super Nintendo more then wanting to buy a Sega Genesis. However, I remember I used to get frustrated when a game on one system would look & play drastically different on another. Good example, the Aladdin video game.

17rbr0v3kqxtkjpg_zpsy8lnnism.jpg

I think the SNES version looks better. It's zoomed out more, so you can see what's ahead, and the sprites and backgrounds are more detailed. 

I only owned a Sega Genesis, so I can't really say much about the SNES. By the time I owned a SNES, the next wave of systems were already out. All of my cousins also owned Sega Genesis' as well. 

I'm really fond of the Sega Genesis and some of the games it had. Specifically, Altered Beast, Golden Axe, and Streets of Rage 2. Other games I liked are the Road Rash series, Splatterhouse 2 and 3, and Contra Hard Corps(the game is literally hard as hell). 

• Brohoof 1

I had the opportunity to play both consoles and both had great games.

But the SNES wins it for me by far. While the Genesis (Mega Drive, how it's called here in europe) had cool games, like the sonic series, the shinobi series and the phantasy star series. The SNES had just more memorable games, which where also more in depth and had more third party support.

Games like A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Super Mario World and Final Fantasy VI are constantly mentioned in several greatest game of all time lists and for good reason.

I have had both and the SNES wins, and i still play it sometimes.

yoshi's island was my favorite,and it had a really great intro. everyone says so :)

Yoshi's Island opening intro and game play Ninten…:

I  had both, they were both good in it's own ways.  Sega tried to position it's genesis to compete with the 8 bit nes. because of this the color palate and the sound was well 8-bit. genesis had a much faster processor (this wasn't just advertising gimick, there a lot of pages dedicated to discussing the genesis and it's underlying processor, the motherboard, etc 

Genesis and SNES can both do pseudo 3-D graphics they both need an add on chip to do this, but you would probably be surprised which system can handle pseudo 3d better(it was genesis).

I'm saying that they both have their strong and weak points and we shouldn't dismiss one over another because of marketing hype

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

B-but, Genesis does what Nintendon't! ;p

W E L C O M

E  T   O  T

H  E N E  X

T L E V E L

"Blast Processing"

... ahem, yeah, uh, the Genesis pretty much just had the much faster clocked CPU going for it (I think just over 7MHz vs the SNES'.. I want to say 3.52 off the top of my head?) - it had similar total colour ranges, but was locked to a smaller on-screen palette at any particular point in time, and yeah, used an older sound chip.

I'm actually really fond of that older, grittier sound chip, but then I like old-school AdLib and Sound Blaster 16 music on the PC, too.  Think of the various Sonic games and their soundtracks, at least before Sonic CD.

I was lucky enough to have both systems growing up - and later a Sega CD! - and I was a huge Sonic fan.  In fact, Sonic is what got me into Furry, and Furry is what led me to Brony... anyway, I had way more games for the SNES, and I will admit, Nintendo's first party titles are almost always amazing.  Mario in various incarnations (SMW, Yoshi's Island, Kart, SMRPG with Square), Super Metroid, Zelda: A Link to the Past... all great games and part of a line of usually-great hits spanning multiple console generations.

...but whether it was the console hardware or just the game design, they always felt... slow.  Even Samus running at full tilt still felt plodding compared to the ridiculous, so-fast-you're-outrunning-the-camera twitch action you'd get with the classic Sonic games, played well.  Plus games like Streets of Rage 3 and Ecco the Dolphin (though I had the CD version with much better soundtrack) were fun rentals.

Speaking of the Sega CD, though, if that kind of counts (along with the 32X, which I don't own :( ) - that thing is... well, it's a thing.  FMV games are horrible, but Ecco and Sonic CD were awesome.  Real CD soundtracks more than made up for the crummy MIDI synth chip.  Having your console be your own CD player for listening to music as a young teenager in your bedroom?  Freaking sweeeeeeet.  I'd put on any of my favourites and fall asleep listening to music.  That was worth huge points to me as a kid, back when getting your own boombox or whatever as well would be ridiculously expensive.

Not that the Sega CD wasn't expensive.  Hooo boy was it expensive.  My normally generous and spoiling dad even grumbled at the cost of the thing when 'Santa' got it for me one year.  Still. :P