What did you think of the episode?  

126 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Not at all! -_-
    • Eh, not really. >_>
    • Meh; nothing special.
    • It was...a'ight. I liked it.
    • THAT WAS AWESOME!!! <3

Spike usually steals the show in episodes where he's a supporting character. 

I loved that he was in pretty much every scene. In many episodes like this he simply disappears for no reason when Twilight is driving the plot, but his narration and mood swings really made this episode a lot of fun.

What was ???

The boat: So if they were in shallow water, why did the boat sink? If anything given how shallow of water they were in, it should have grounds ashore. 

Late in the episode, it was stated the boat actually capsized and didn't sink, so maybe it really just turned on its side in the shallows and all the imagery of it sinking was more exaggeration on the 3 mares' part?

• Brohoof 1

I love their stories, the Over the top flanderized OOC interpretations of their friends each of the three had were great. I especially loved Pirate AJ and Darling Rarity Darling...Darling. Spike was great too, this was overall a pretty funny episode.

Good lesson too, stuff like this happens a lot when people fail to communicate, it's a bit exaggerated for comedy here, but otherwise true to life. You'd think this problem wouldn't happen with such good friends who know each other so well, and for so long. But in some cases that can almost make it worse. You might get so used to them acting certain ways, that when they "Break Character" in your mind, even when they really didn't, it can put you off quite a bit.

And I'm glad this episode had so much focus on Twilight as well, she's felt like she was a bit on the sideline this season so far.

I had fun, it was a good episode.

I know right? Their over the top characterizations just made the episode fun!  ^_^

I suspected about halfway through that they were all trying to use what was familiar to them to break the others away from what they were used to. But it totally makes sense that they would each see the others as being stubbornly in element.  :fluttershy:

Bunyip!  :pinkie:

• Brohoof 1

Okay, so I'm first listening to Rarity's side of the story, and the best part is A.J. going all pirate on us! So hilarious, but I doubt that's what actually happened. Moving on...

That was highly amusing ^_^ Especially Applejack's interpretation of Rarity, saying "darling" every other word. But Rarity had the best line: "The boat sank, obviously." The deadpan delivery was just perfect :lol: Pirate Applejack was great too.

I love the bunyip. Such a random answer to the whole thing, there's no real mystery solving aspect to the episode, but it was funny.

I wonder if the crab in Rarity's hair was a reference to the "Rarity fighting a giant crab" meme.

I think this episode is going to have high rewatch value in the long run. It's just plain enjoyable.

• Brohoof 1

This was a fine episode. Another fun little plot of characters telling their stories from their own perspective, and it played out quite nicely. Plus, it gave us a glimpse into Rarity's fabulous seafaring fashion! :D How very Titanic of her.

Don't know about the rest of ye scallywags, but I for one would love to see more adventures of this:

1262427__safe_rarity_applejack_screencap

• Brohoof 3

This was a fine episode. Another fun little plot of characters telling their stories from their own perspective, and it played out quite nicely. Plus, it gave us a glimpse into Rarity's fabulous seafaring fashion! :D How very Titanic of her.

Don't know about the rest of ye scallywags, but I for one would love to see more adventures of this:

1262427__safe_rarity_applejack_screencap

I think you mean to say that "I for one would love to see more adventures of this, YAR HAR;)

Also, I am a fully licensed scalleywag.  :smug:

That was highly amusing ^_^ Especially Applejack's interpretation of Rarity, saying "darling" every other word. But Rarity had the best line: "The boat sank, obviously." The deadpan delivery was just perfect :lol: Pirate Applejack was great too.

I love the bunyip. Such a random answer to the whole thing, there's no real mystery solving aspect to the episode, but it was funny.

I wonder if the crab in Rarity's hair was a reference to the "Rarity fighting a giant crab" meme.

I think this episode is going to have high rewatch value in the long run. It's just plain enjoyable.

Many darlings will be darlinged after this episode, darling. We're bronies. It's just what we do, darling.  :lol:

Votes are coming in and though this is not being voted as spectacular, most people seem to agree it was good and fun. I rate it 5/5 just for the fun jokes.  :squee:

• Brohoof 2

(gaping mouth) According to Pinkie, Rarity brought a whole crew of sea-sailing stallions aboard?!

Oh, so many stallions in one place.... :wub:  I wonder what they'll be doing tonight! 

(snaps out of daydream). I mean, I'm pretty sure that's not this mess was caused!

Now to hear A.J.'s side. Being the Element of Honesty doesn't mean the story would be 100% true' Just her being truthful about what she thinks she saw! Let's hear it...

I think you mean to say that "I for one would love to see more adventures of this, YAR HAR" ;)

Also, I am a fully licensed scalleywag. :smug:

Cap'n AJ & the Quest for Treasure Island.

Coming next "Talk like a Pirate" day. :icwudt:

• Brohoof 1

SPOILER ALERT!  my first impressions of the new MLP episode. Frankly when I saw the ad for this episode I thought I would HATE it because I did not want to see 3 ponies having an incredibly dumb argument and yelling for an entire episode. Luckily that didn't happen here. Instead we got 3 distinct flashbacks that line up with each character and how they perceived events based on their unique character flaws and then had Twilight beautifully stitch together the truth using her attention to detail to weed out what was consistent and what was not in each story. If I had Twilight around doing what she did in this episode when I had fights with friends I would not have lost those friendships(long story) so it really is a great lesson in conflict resolution and dealing with misunderstandings. The animation was also really well done. My only problem with the episode was that giant Pink water living dog like creature appearing out of nowhere because it seems a wee bit forced.

• Brohoof 2

Okay A.J's story has the other two ponies being exaggerated versions of themselves! I think A.J.'s anger is twisting her memories of the truth.

Twilight (after hearing A.J.'s side): Wait. so it was Rarity's and Pinkie's fault?

Applejack: Yep. And if they ever apologize, I'll consider talking to them again.

Me: I wonder if Twilight is being reminded of how the Equestria Girls version of her friends were mad at each other when she first met them?

• Brohoof 2

Cap'n AJ & the Quest for Treasure Island.

Coming next "Talk like a Pirate" day. :icwudt:

Yay! :yay:  Um...I mean....YAR HAR!  :angry:

We need Pirateshy.  :kindness:

Also, for some reason Cap'n AJ & the Quest for Treasure Island makes me think of cereal commercials.  :lol: 

SPOILER ALERT!  my first impressions of the new MLP episode. Frankly when I saw the ad for this episode I thought I would HATE it because I did not want to see 3 ponies having an incredibly dumb argument and yelling for an entire episode. Luckily that didn't happen here. Instead we got 3 distinct flashbacks that line up with each character and how they perceived events based on their unique character flaws and then had Twilight beautifully stitch together the truth using her attention to detail to weed out what was consistent and what was not in each story. If I had Twilight around doing what she did in this episode when I had fights with friends I would not have lost those friendships(long story) so it really is a great lesson in conflict resolution and dealing with misunderstandings. The animation was also really well done. My only problem with the episode was that giant Pink water living dog like creature appearing out of nowhere because it seems a wee bit forced.

Yes, perspective is so important and it does not necessarily make one right or wrong. It can simply mean one does not have the full picture or context. Personally, I was really hoping the POV of the episode referred to an episode being completely through the literal eyes of a character. Since I think that would make a really fun episode.  :squee:

• Brohoof 2

My rating is 7/10, I guess.

The episode was... okay for me. Nothing special and doesn't seem like an episode I'd want to watch again, but it does have interesting elements to it (like Pirate AJ, the different stories from each character with things in common etc.). 

The Bunyip was cute, but the idea of it all being caused by a sea creature feeding on a cucumber sandwich feels bland and like a bit of an ass pull; while I don't have much of a problem with how it is, I probably would've bought it much better if it, say, was simply a stray wave that happened to come by and capsize the boat (not too far from shore), throwing all 3 of the ponies overboard and forcing them to swim back to land. And speaking of which, after the boat sank, the 3 ponies somehow ended up absurdly close to the dock only knee deep in water... It just doesn't feel like what should have happened, even in a kids cartoon. That, and I don't like the fact we didn't get to know the full actual story. That's my two cents though and I could very well be wrong.

What I did like though, as I have mentioned, were pirate AJ and each story from each pony. It was rather interesting to see each one of them describe how they perceived the whole event, including the "culprits"; Rarity perceived Applejack as adventurous to the point of basically being a full-blown pirate, Pinkie Pie perceived Rarity as overly luxurious, and Applejack perceived Rarity the same way Pinkie Pie did in addition to perceiving Pinkie Pie as a game-obsessed goofball.

So all in all, it has its flaws but it wasn't a bad episode. As I said, it was nothing special, but it definitely was interesting to watch.

EDIT: Errors needed to be corrected

Edited by Eggy0
  • Brohoof 2

Yay! :yay:  Um...I mean....YAR HAR!  :angry:

We need Pirateshy.  :kindness:

Also, for some reason Cap'n AJ & the Quest for Treasure Island makes me think of cereal commercials.  :lol: 

Yes, perspective is so important and it does not necessarily make one right or wrong. It can simply mean one does not have the full picture or context. Personally, I was really hoping the POV of the episode referred to an episode being completely through the literal eyes of a character. Since I think that would make a really fun episode.  :squee:

Indeed! Just because I perceive something a certain way it does not mean the other person or in this case pony's point is invalid. Yes they totally need an episode that is entirely POV shots! "Arthur" and a few other cartoons did it so I'm sure MLP could pull it off. 

• Brohoof 1

After rewatching this episode, I did find one little plothole: How could Rarity, AJ, and Pinkie not know what was up with Twilight's plan since she obviously had to ask them to come back to this coastal town to re-enact the sinking? The problem is Ponyville is nowhere near the ocean and in fact we saw the three of them returning by train to Ponyville after the first boat trip!

So they would all have to hop on the same train and sit there for hours wondering why Twilight was calling them to the same place as before, possibly even bumping into each other along the way. Kinda stretches the believability, don't you think? X3

Oh well, it was still a fun episode even with the plothole. XD

(gaping mouth) According to Pinkie, Rarity brought a whole crew of sea-sailing stallions aboard?!

Oh, so many stallions in one place.... :wub:  I wonder what they'll be doing tonight! 

(snaps out of daydream). I mean, I'm pretty sure that's not this mess was caused!

You may actually be onto something there - Rarity said the trip she had planned for the three of them was going to be "decadent" so I thought there was going to be some fun of the other kind on the boat, too. XD (Though I thought it was going to be between the three of them and not with porter ponies. X3 )

• Brohoof 3

So...

sig-4683939.1262416__safe_twilight%20spa

...how was the trip???  :please: 

Alright, good morning everypony and welcome back to another edition of "Batbrony Reviews"!  This week we've got a pretty standard episode, quality-wise at least, with a pretty unique approach to its execution.  "P.P.O.V. (Pony Point Of View)" is actually a send-up to Akira Kurosawa's film "Rashomon" (a film I've never seen but read enough up on to know that this is definitely a send up to it), and in that regard it's a pretty clever episode.  That said, it's not exactly mindblowing, but it didn't commit any unforgivable errors either, so it was a decent episode all around.  Without further ado, let's begin, this is "P.P.O.V. (Pony Point Of View)".

sig-4683939.1262437__safe_solo_rarity_sc

sig-4683939.1262446__safe_solo_rarity_sc

Oh sweet, it's the return of the Rarity drama-couch AND Rarity's drama-ice cream, ALL IN ONE EPISODE!!!  :D 

So the basic idea of this episode, same as with "Rashomon," is that we receive multiple points of view from the main characters, each one of them self-serving and putting themselves in the best light, and obviously not showing the whole picture either/retelling events that happened in a completely accurate light.  The idea is that eventually all the different retellings will be cleared up and tied together, and what really happened will come through.  Overall the episode does this quite well, although I will admit that, given that they have three different POVs to get through, the episode doesn't have much time to dwell on anything else besides the main events.  Don't get me wrong, overall the pacing is fine, but it still felt at times like they were trying very hard to fit a lot into one episode, and I almost would have preferred if they'd limited it to two points of view.  But all in all this story device worked, especially since it wasn't a terribly serious episode.

sig-4683939.1262407__safe_pinkie%20pie_s

Hmmm... not sure if "to sandwich" or "not to sandwich"... hmmmmmmmm...  :okiedokieloki:

The funnest part of the episode, obviously, was seeing what all the different points of view were, as well as Twilight figuring out what really happened at the end.  Applejack, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie's distorted recollections were quite entertaining (though it was bizarre in Pinkie's to see herself thinking of herself as the "normal" one of the bunch) and had some very funny references as well (Applejack in Rarity's POV was DEFINITELY a reference to Quint from "Jaws" and I'm pretty sure that Rarity's dress in Applejack's POV was a direct reference to Rose Dewitt-Bukater's dress in her introduction scene in "Titanic").  It was also lots of fun trying to figure out as a viewer what really did happen (there were definitely some things the characters told which seemed like they probably did happen, like Applejack accidentally knocking the cucumber sandwiches into the ocean), and what definitely didn't.  That said, besides some of the pacing, the one other issue with this episode was the believability of the conflict.  The episode itself tried to confront this by admitting at the end that "even long-time friends can have problems," but that's not the issue.  The issue is that this conflict apparently, if this episode is to be believed, almost ENDED Applejack, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie's friendship!  Now, I know that long-time friendships can deteriorate.  However, I have a hard time believing that this particular conflict could have done such a thing!  It was just a bad boat trip, nothing more, so yeah, the conflict felt a tad forced.  Their reconciliation at the end was nice and all, seeing them all realizing that they all had just wanted to help their friends try something new together, but still, I found myself hard-pressed to buy that this could have actually ended their friendships this far into the show.

sig-4683939.1262425__safe_pinkie%20pie_a

"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."

sig-4683939.1262427__safe_rarity_appleja

"Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu to you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so never more shall we see you again."

1262531__safe_rarity_screencap_spoiler-c

"Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was.  It really was." 

Still, despite pacing and conflict issues, this was an enjoyable enough of an episode.  Like I said, it was very entertaining, and the resolution at the end was very nice.  It was fun getting to see Twilight exercising her intellect in order to help resolve things (and I don't just mean looking into some books for research, I mean she had to have Spike take notes and then review said notes, and THEN work out how all three POVs fit together), and that sea creature that showed up at the end was ADORABLE!!!  The episode was certainly colorful, and it was cool getting to see most of the episode primarily set on the ocean (surprisingly, sea/ocean environments are quite rare to see in this show).  Hopefully we'll get the chance to see such a setting even more later on in the show, either this season or, more likely, next season (if the show is renewed for a new season, of course).  Overall, this was a good episode.  It was not perfect, but it was perfectly likable and didn't have anything really horrible about it, plus it was cool how many movie references and send-ups it made in so many different ways.  That's all I've got for ya'll this week everypony, until next time this is Batbrony signing off.  I'm off!!! *cue dramatic exit*

sig-4683939.large.png

D'awwwwwwwww, who's a cute sea monster? :fluttershy:  YOU ARE! :squee:  YES, YOU ARE!!!  :yay: 

• Brohoof 10

Of all the fantasy creatures this show has provided over the years, I never expected them to actually include a Bunyip! But, aren't Bunyips supposed to be scary?

Anyway, I liked this episode. Not too much to say about it but the humor was on point and the lesson was a good one.  I thought Pinkie's story was the funniest (particularly the way Rarity acted in it), but Applejack's was awesome too.  I find it kind of interesting that Rarity blamed ONLY Applejack and Pinkie Pie blamed ONLY Rarity, but AJ blamed both Pinkie and Rarity, so Rarity never got a chance to look like the innocent third party and Pinkie Pie never got to be the out-and-out villain. I wonder why they did it. Not that I'm complaining! Pinkie and Rarity both ruining Applejack's trip was hilarious.

ETA - Very small detail, but I think still worth mentioning. Although I'm sure it was just a throw-away line to explain RD and FS's absence from the boat trip, does anyone else think a Flight School reunion would make for a kind of fun episode? 

Edited by Carolina
  • Brohoof 1

Fun little trip, this was. It had a sort of Season 1 feel to it, especially with Rarity and Applejack being two of the characters involved. Nothing wrong with the message behind it, and alternate interpretations of the characters are funny as (almost) always. I only wonder how much of a meme generator this one will be.

1262493__safe_pinkie+pie_meme_spoiler-co

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 2

Oh sweet, it's the return of the Rarity drama-couch AND Rarity's drama-ice cream, ALL IN ONE EPISODE!!!  :D 

Yes! It's about time we got a callback to Rarity's famous sinking-her-sorrows-in-ice-cream scene from "Inspiration Manifestation!" The only thing missing was her trademark "Nom, nom, nom." XD

Oooh, and mint chocolate chip, even! You're a mare of good taste, Rarity! =D

(Applejack in Rarity's POV was DEFINITELY a reference to Quint from "Jaws"

Interestingly, somehow that makes sense for AJ to be portrayed in such a manner since she was quoting "Jaws" just last week in "Every Little Thing She Does". XD

Edited by Truffles

P.P.O.V 

Written by the Fox Bros

Well when I heard the idea for this I was really interested and thought it had real good potential to be as good as Rarity Investigates, one of my favorite episodes from last season! Well its a good thing the Fox Bros have a good track record with me.

Gift of Muad Pie - 4/10 

Applejack's Day Off - 4.8/10 

Oh shit...

So... P.P.O.V. How is it? Well compared to other episodes by the Fox Bros its all but a magnum opus but in my opinion its lukewarm at best. the individual stories were... they were ok. However I have this feeling that maybe the Fox Bros found they have a very hard time writing characters in character. So instead of working on improving their writing... and you know... being able to write better episodes in the future. They found a story that gave them an excuse to write almost every character out of character. I'll admit it was clever and I accepted it, but barely. 

So he first two acts were ok. Now lets talk about the middle finger fuck you known as act 3, first off.

---

Mike- "Ok, Will, so the ship sank... but how do we get these horses out of the ocean?"

Wil- "Hey I got an idea! How about they were in knee high water the whole time and not really in the ocean at all?"

Mike- "Hmmm, but what about the storm we had them sail though? And the sea monster we decided they would encounter? How could all that happen if they didn't even sail from the dock? And how did the ship sink?"

Wil- "Who cares bro! This is a show for stupid kids! It's not like any of them will notice!"

Mike- "I thought we just have them maybe get into a raft and get back onto dry land that way I mean they don't have to be too far out."

Wil- "Meh, fuck logic, I just wanna get my paycheck and get home. Besides, I already wrote the scene while you were being stupid trying to make things make since."

---

I imagine a conversation of that nature took place.

And don't tell me it was a buildup to a joke because it wasn't funny and it made the writers look lazy as hell.

Also I didn't like the cop out with the sea monster. But I don't even understand how all that could have taken place in knee high water AT THE DOCK!!! SO WHAT THE HELL!?!?!?

I didn't like the episode... 5.7/10 

But I will give credit to one thing. Titanic is one of my most favorite movies of all time so mad props to whoever decided to put Rarity's in the outfit Rose was wearing in the movie when she boarded the ship. I freaked out with joy when I saw that If only the rest of the episode was as good as that movie.

Edited by Zantetsuken
  • Brohoof 4

I have to admit, the way that Twilight sorted out the mess between Applejack, Rarity, and Pinkie over what happened is a lot different from what is shown in the episode "P.O.V." from Batman: The Animated Series with the three different stories from Bullock, Montoya, and Wilkes to the Internal Affairs Lieutenant and Commissioner Gordon.

Not to mention there's the world building with introducing a new creature in Equestria's waters in the Tri-horned Bunyip, a new location in Seaward Shoals, and I liked how Twilight used a smaller boat to sort out the mess compared to the larger galleon that her friends originally used before it was capsized by the Bunyip by accident.

This was a very nice and funny episode to watch as Twilight repaired the damaged friendships between her friends and I give it a 9/10.

I think it's an ok episode. I knew going in that an episode with differing perspectives could easily end up being incredibly cliched and contrived, and it's both those things. It has its fun moments, like when I knew Rarity was lying from the moment she claimed she packed one small bag, but I just feel it's kind of lacking. All three ponies just automatically changed their tune when they found out that the others were doing what they were doing for the sake of each other. Also, how did they all make such a mountain out of a molehill when they clearly weren't that far out on the boat? How did a big massive creature fit under them if they were in the shallows all along? I also don't care for Twilight resolving the issue with evidence that's not revealed to the audience till later. But, it's not the worst episode and its fun moments keep it from being less than satisfactory for me, so I think it's alright.

• Brohoof 2