What did you think of the episode?  

126 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Not at all! -_-
    • Eh, not really. >_>
    • Meh; nothing special.
    • It was...a'ight. I liked it.
    • THAT WAS AWESOME!!! <3

This episode was amazing. I really loved each story and how they remembered what had happened. I really loved how Pinkie, Rarity and Applejack were portraying each other throughout their stories. I especially loved Applejack during the stories on how she was portrayed. The pirate and enthusiastic versions of Applejack were amazing and had me laughing so much. I liked how Twilight was able to figure out what had happened in the end, but I felt like she figured it out too quickly. I was expecting for her to voice out key details while writing on the chalkboard, but it was nice showing a visual of what happened to the group. I also thought the tri-horned bunyip looked awesome and adorable. All in all, I really enjoyed this episode and I can't wait to see what comes next. :) 

• Brohoof 1

This is a good episode. With Princess Twilight Sparkle made a good choice for them how to stop this argument between these three. These stories of how they made an argument in a ship.

It appears to me that the Fox brothers enjoy writing episodes that sacrifice characterization for comedy. I find this sort of thing to be an annoyance, so I did not enjoy this episode much at all. 

First off, whatever it was that really happened on the boat is treated seriously enough that Applejack, Rarity, and Pinkie are potentially going to end their friendships over it. This is the first problem with the episode. After six seasons, these ponies have a bond that is as close as family, and there's absolutely no way that I can expected to believe that it can all be thrown away over whatever happened on that trip.  

The second problem is that we're never given an accurate account of the events. At least one account should have been the truth, or at least mostly the truth, with perhaps a few aspects exaggerated out of simple misunderstanding. Because again, I want to know exactly what happened that made this trip so terrible that three of the mane six are not going to easily forgive each other over it. And after all, Applejack was along for this trip, and you would think that you could expect the Element of HONESTY to give an accurate account, right?  :dry:

I really do understand that the three stories were meant to be as zany and random as possible so that they could be played up for comedy, and if I'm honest, I did get a mild chuckle out of them. However, I just don't understand the logic behind the blatant lies and deliberate mistruths that the three of them gave, especially Pinkie. For example, Pinkie states that Rarity brought an entire group of stallions on the boat to carry her luggage, and neither Applejack nor Rarity herself corroborate this (Applejack shortens it down to only one stallion). Meanwhile, two of the stories involve Applejack being responsible for why the cucumber sandwiches ended up overboard, with one being intentional, and the other being on accident. But again, Pinkie's story diverted by saying that Rarity threw them overboard for no apparent reason. 

Here's the bottom line: either these things happened, or they didn't!!!! What is the point of the lies?! It legitimately seems to me like the only purpose Pinkie intended with her account was to twist up events as much as possible. And for what!?!?!?! For her own amusement? Because she wanted to have a spat with AJ and Rarity? And also, why did they all say that a storm was the reason for the wave that sunk their boat, but when we saw the actual scene of them after the shipwreck, there was no storm in sight.... :unamused:

That was clearly a lie!!!!! WHY ARE THEY LYING!?!??!?!?  :okiedokieloki:

There is just no logic to this, at least not that I'm seeing. And again, why the hell couldn't we have had an accurate account of events, because I most certainly want to know exactly what it was that they were so upset about. Even if it was insanely childish and petty, I still wanted to know what it was. So it's really irritating to me that the episode tries to pull a last-minute "you didn't realize you were all trying to get each other to have a good time" explanation out of nowhere to make some attempt at giving a reason for their differing accounts. 

Yeah, I don't get that at all. Especially since NOT ONE OF THEM stated that their attempts to get each other to have a good time were unappreciated as a reason for why they were upset. If that was truly a reason, they would have mentioned it to Twilight. 

Overall, this entire conflict seems so ridiculously fabricated. There is nothing that feels natural about it at all. There is absolutely no reason why AJ, Rarity, and Pinkie should have acted the way they did, and clearly, they only acted this way just for the sake of making the plot work. And even then, it only barely worked. This is still just a huge mess of an episode. 

Twilight being able to correctly guess at random that some sea monster accidentally caused their boat to sink was largely ridiculous, but highly expected at same time. Indeed, this is the second time Twilight has come out looking the best in an episode written by the Foxes. It seems like they respect Twilight enough not to make her look like a complete idiot in an episode, but they certainly don't seem to respect the rest of the mane six enough to do the same. 

Edited by Cleverclover
  • Brohoof 8

Quite enjoyable, loved how the show dealt with the Rashomon-esque formula and the introduction of the new monster, the Bunyip of Australian folklore. On the other hand, as much as i liked a new monster for the bestiary, its appereance pretty much came out of the blue (no pun intended) and didn't really add much to the whole feud.

Of all the fantasy creatures this show has provided over the years, I never expected them to actually include a Bunyip! But, aren't Bunyips supposed to be scary?

Hehehe, well you know, after all, the show enjoys doing its own take on mythic beasts. After all, we've gotten tiger-headed chimeras and feline-looking yetis.

• Brohoof 1

It appears to me that the Fox brothers enjoy writing episodes that sacrifice characterization for comedy. I find this sort of thing to be an annoyance, so I did not enjoy this episode much at all. 

First off, whatever it was that really happened on the boat is treated seriously enough that Applejack, Rarity, and Pinkie are potentially going to end their friendships over it. This is the first problem with the episode. After six seasons, these ponies have a bond that is as close as family, and there's absolutely no way that I can expected to believe that it can all be thrown away over whatever happened on that trip.  

The second problem is that we're never given an accurate account of the events. At least one account should have been the truth, or at least mostly the truth, with perhaps a few aspects exaggerated out of simple misunderstanding. Because again, I want to know exactly what happened that made this trip so terrible that three of the mane six are not going to easily forgive each other over it. And after all, Applejack was along for this trip, and you would think that you could expect the Element of HONESTY to give an accurate account, right?  :dry:

I really do understand that the three stories were meant to be as zany and random as possible so that they could be played up for comedy, and if I'm honest, I did get a mild chuckle out of them. However, I just don't understand the logic behind the blatant lies and deliberate mistruths that the three of them gave, especially Pinkie. For example, Pinkie states that Rarity brought an entire group of stallions on the boat to carry her luggage, and neither Applejack nor Rarity herself corroborate this (Applejack shortens it down to only one stallion). Meanwhile, two of the stories involve Applejack being responsible for why the cucumber sandwiches ended up overboard, with one being intentional, and the other being on accident. But again, Pinkie's story diverted by saying that Rarity threw them overboard for no apparent reason. 

Here's the bottom line: either these things happened, or they didn't!!!! What is the point of the lies?! It legitimately seems to me like the only purpose Pinkie intended with her account was to twist up events as much as possible. And for what!?!?!?! For her own amusement? Because she wanted to have a spat with AJ and Rarity? And also, why did they all say that a storm was the reason for the wave that sunk their boat, but when we saw the actual scene of them after the shipwreck, there was no storm in sight.... :unamused:

That was clearly a lie!!!!! WHY ARE THEY LYING!?!??!?!?  :okiedokieloki:

There is just no logic to this, at least not that I'm seeing. And again, why the hell couldn't we have had an accurate account of events, because I most certainly want to know exactly what it was that they were so upset about. Even if it was insanely childish and petty, I still wanted to know what it was. So it's really irritating to me that the episode tries to pull a last-minute "you didn't realize you were all trying to get each other to have a good time" explanation out of nowhere to make some attempt at giving a reason for their differing accounts. 

Yeah, I don't get that at all. Especially since NOT ONE OF THEM stated that their attempts to get each other to have a good time were unappreciated as a reason for why they were upset. If that was truly a reason, they would have mentioned it to Twilight. 

Overall, this entire conflict seems so ridiculously fabricated. There is nothing that feels natural about it at all. There is absolutely no reason why AJ, Rarity, and Pinkie should have acted the way they did, and clearly, they only acted this way just for the sake of making the plot work. And even then, it only barely worked. This is still just a huge mess of an episode. 

Twilight being able to correctly guess at random that some sea monster accidentally caused their boat to sink was largely ridiculous, but highly expected at same time. Indeed, this is the second time Twilight has come out looking the best in an episode written by the Foxes. It seems like they respect Twilight enough not to make her look like a complete idiot in an episode, but they certainly don't seem to respect the rest of the mane six enough to do the same. 

So, are you starting to lose faith in Season 6 by now?

Was almost gonna give this one a slight pass, even though all of its eccentricities felt to me like a desperate (and futile) attempt to make anything in this episode feel even remotely fresh. There's a few weird and clever bits here and there, and it's pretty brisk and watchable, but the ending leaves a really bad taste in my mouth, especially with the show once again making Twilight a "voice of reason" character, which reminds me of my least favourite part of "Rainbow Falls." I hate what this show has done with her for most of the past three seasons, and this reminder that most writers view her as an infallible moral delivery device really upsets me. And, y'know, this really is an absurdly predictable and simplistic storyline, so that really doesn't help either. 

Anyway, here's a full review on my offsite blog

I watched it a second time at a viewing party for the new movie, and I caught more connections between the three stories.
for instance, rarity's version of the story, still had the blindfold of the other two, but it was basically an eye patch for applejack instead.

It was an alright episode. I did like the moral lesson in it.

Also, did anyone happen to notice the oddly similar flag of the Canadian Province of British Columbia (BC) being flown on that ship? :)

• Brohoof 1

I found this episode to be pretty good, but not the best episode of this season. I loved Applejack, Pinkie, and Rarity's versions of the story and also loved pirate AJ, she was hilarious and just so random. I enjoyed Twilight in this episode and the moral was very clear and well done. I also semi enjoyed derpy Pinkie Pie and found that suits her pretty well. 8/10 episode!!

post-5578-0-67850400-1475379278_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-81446700-1475379279_thumb.png

post-5578-0-75908600-1475379291_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-70562700-1475379302_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-94582100-1475379309_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-57588300-1475379312_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-01261200-1475379321_thumb.png

post-5578-0-93420800-1475379323.gif

post-5578-0-53226200-1475379325_thumb.png

post-5578-0-54095200-1475379326_thumb.png

• Brohoof 6

I actually enjoyed this one a lot more than I thought I would. Sure, the episode was really odd overall and had some all over the place pacing, but the oddness of it did a good job of playing into a friendship issue we don't see much of in the show and the ending was lovely. I am not sure why anyone would be angry about Twilight being the one to help considering that she is the Princess of Friendship. So to me, that makes sense. Besides, she hasn't been the problem solver for most episodes this season.

All in all, I found this episode to be enjoyable. Spike was a good laugh, seeing the different scenarios be insane then having it end up be so simple was funny and as I said, the ending and moral wrapped it up nicely. Not a perfect episode, but one I thought was a lot better than I did expect so it gets two hooves up in my book.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, this episode really pissed me off, which is unusual for me; out of all 139 episodes, I have only disliked four (including this one).

I tried to give it a fair chance, but I found myself getting more and more frustrated as it progressed.

My issues with this episode:

1. the basic plot is overused sitcom material

2. it is funny, but the writers sacrificed the characters personalities for the sake of humor; Pinkie was particularly out of character

3. the idea of friends as close as Rarity, A.J. and Pinkie becoming so upset over something so relatively minor is ridiculous! They have forgiven each other for much worse offenses without this much fuss

I did enjoy seeing Applejack as a salty old seadog, though. That was pretty hilarious. :lol:

Edited by Kings&Hooves14

It was an alright episode. I did like the moral lesson in it.

Also, did anyone happen to notice the oddly similar flag of the Canadian Province of British Columbia (BC) being flown on that ship? :)

Good catch, nice little homage from the storyboarding artists team.

It was an alright episode.  The interpretations were nice and I got a couple of chuckles to a few of the nods. The plot was flimsy and the conflict was kind of muddled. Would say though, it kind of would worked better if this episode was actually like somewhere in season 1 to be honest. 

Edited by pony.colin
  • Brohoof 2

I liked this episode. It had some great development to it, though I do say that Piratejack was a little OOC. The lesson was great as well and it's yet another that we can say we struggle with: being quick to blame others for a certain situation. Heck, that creature that supposedly sank the ship turned out to be quite cute!

Lesson of the day: Pony Points of View are sooooo unreliable  :orly:  or You cannot SHIP WITH 3 CHARACTERs, or else the ship will sink, shipping is worked when you ship with 2 character.  :P 

Not a crazy story I think it would be, but still a fun episode. The best story is Rarity's, because it is the most exaggerated one :D, the others are a bit dull because they are closer to the true, but still truths are dull, that why they sometimes need a bit of flavors :3. Pinkie story should be the craziest, I am disappointed a little bit, maybe her mental state has been stabilizing since season 5... Spike shines again, he is a gold mine of this season. The story is too basic without some crazy twists, I love surprises... :adorkable: Anyway, great episode, OOC Applejack is the best Applejack. :scots: 

Edited by Lambdadelta

There's a few things in this episode that are still amusing me to think about, so maybe I was to harsh on it, but man, that ending just really pissed me off. 

• Brohoof 1

I usually like to write lengthy posts after watching episodes, but there really isn't a lot to say about this 1 in particular. After last weeks outstanding episode, I was a little disappointed in what we got today. Not every episode can be a home run I suppose. For some reason, the idea of Pinkie, AJ, and Rarity playing the blame game and refusing to talk it out with each other just seems "off" to me. They've been together for years, and I don't think a simple boating fiasco would jeopardize their friendship. To me, it felt like the writers were really pulling for them to act this way so that we could have a conflict. So far, i'm not too impressed with the Fox Brothers. This episode is kind of like their previous one (AJ's day off) in that they have the characters acting foolish for the sake of the story. Perhaps they'll improve in season 7. 

Overall, the episode wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. I thought for sure AJ would tell the truth since she is the Element of HONESTY after all. I also wish that we got to see what actually happened instead of leaving it up for interpretation. I'm also never going to look at cucumber sandwiches the same way ever again :smug:. I did enjoy the references and humor, but they can only do so much. To quote Dr. Wolf, "It was a good -meh". I usually look forward to watching an episode multiple times, but not this time. 

Here's hoping that we can end the season strong  :lol:

Edited by Chuckles4lyfe

That was a fun episode! :D Pirate Applejack is hands down of my favorite things in it. She was so over-the-top and piratical. :P I knew she always had it in her~

full.gif

Gotta love Twi being dorky as she used to be. I liked how she constantly handed Spike that scroll and quill, much to his dismay. :lol: I also liked how each of the Mane 3's stories exaggerated the one they blamed. Yarrrrrpplejack (my favorite of the 3 :P), super-posh Rarity, and derpy Pinkie Pie were all fun to watch.

Also, was the crab in Rarity's mane a nod to the whole Rarity VS Giant Crab thing? x)

• Brohoof 3