Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Starlight Glimmer Won't Destroy Equestria (Theory)

stripper

I have an MLP theory/headcannon

Starlight Glimmer is an overpowered goddess of magic. She must always have friends. There is a picture of Trixie and another framed picture of "=" crossed out next to her desk to remind her of her friends and to not go evil. In Every Little Thing She Does, the Mane 6 minus Twilight eagerly and quickly accept Starlight's apology even when they're spell hungover and incapable of doing anything. Twilight didn't even freak out (much) when she returned to her castle and saw that her friends were brainwashed and her castle was ruined

Why do you think her punishment for nearly destroying Equestria in like 7 different ways was gaining 7 new friends? A regular punishment aside from death would have lead to her not having friends and incinerating the planet

But hey, that's just a theory, a FiM theory

(This isn't 100% serious)

Edited by stripper

Magic restriction would be a good punishment in my book. Give her a detailed list (Twilight is good at those) on what magic she can and cannot use, at least for now. She causes too much of a ruckus.

Knowing the odds, she will still destroy Equestria. Accidentally. Since she is insanely overpowered for no reason, she will most likely try to start a campfire and go "I need to make an awesome campfire and stuff! If I combine this spell with this spell and combine that with 16 other spells it should be great!" *poof* Planet incinerated.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I think a magic restriction punishment would lead to a friendship lesson about not restricting friends' freedoms too harshly. It would be lifted in 1 episode or else the show ends with Equestria in flames

Edited by stripper
  • Brohoof 2

G8 m8 I r8 8/8! So, when shall we enshrine this holy pony deity in the Background Shrine? I’ll bring the runestones, you choose the shrine site. I’ll even get Tyrone to bring that famous ceremonial ale. Then we can call some hoofed wenches and have fun all night long in honor of our glorious pony goddess.

Knowing the odds, she will still destroy Equestria. Accidentally. Since she is insanely overpowered for no reason, she will most likely try to start a campfire and go "I need to make an awesome campfire and stuff! If I combine this spell with this spell and combine that with 16 other spells it should be great!" *poof* Planet incinerated.

18-spell campfire? Couldn't agree more :P

A nice campfire

It's a spell, too. Just one to hurt people. Called "Hado Number 96: Itto Kaso"

gg, Starlight.

Well, my theory, as to why she didn't recieve more punishment, is because Twilight knows, how powerful she is, and that she might take revenge and do even worse things.

Because we all have seen, what she can do and how she fully uses the potential of what unicorns are capable of.

Furthermore, i suspect that Twilight also wanted to keep her under her radar. And what better way to do that, than to make close friends with her?

Edited by FizzyGreen
  • Brohoof 1

She has let Twilight seen Equestria ruined just to make her feel guilty about ruining her towns "peace".

That's what the last ruined future was in Cutie Remark Part 2. The desert they were in was the aftermath of Equestria in flames after Starlight wanted more revenge

If they really wanted to reform Starlight, I feel that magical restrictions would have worked as a punishment. By either having Twilight use the Cutie Mark remove spell or using similar measures from the Equestria Games. After doing that and making sure Starlight is significantly weaker in magic or can't use any at all, that's when she can become Twilight's friendship student as a form of parole.

I think we need to go back a bit to season 5's 2 part ending with the cutie re-mark. 

I came to about two points as to why Starlight didn't want to go with mutually assured destruction (MAD) of time space and all that jazz.

1. When Twilight brought her back to that future where Equestria was a wasteland, that was enough to plant 'the seed of doubt' in her. At this point, Starlight isn't fully convinced that things will end in disaster if she continues to wreck havoc on the timeline. However, at that same instance, she no longer fully believes that her actions won't have extremely bad consequences for the future that might result in destruction of everything that she currently knows.  So she has self-doubt that going through with her entire plan of trying to destroy Twilight's life won't have permanent damage to the fabric of reality.  That's enough to open up two choices for her.  One, continue with her plan which will result in MAD... or, back out of her plans. There's just enough self-doubt that Starlight has after witnessing the desperate future that allows Twilight her opening opportunity to try and convince Starlight of another way.

2. Remember, Twilight wasn't winning that duel with Starlight, they were evenly matched. And Starlight was almost willing to go all the way to MAD. Now Twilight tries to offer her the best thing she can offer her. And that's friendship again. Twilight understands she's up against a rock and a hard place and that she can't beat Starlight in this magically duel. However, she might be able to convince Starlight to try again.  Twilight has to personally extend her hoof of friendship in order to make this offer of trust, genuine for Starlight. If it fails, well we know what lies ahead for our future.  So that's why Twilight had to become trusting of Starlight in that moment, she had to offer her most genuine assurance and humility that things can change for Starlight's future if she were to try again. She even offers her the choice that if you still don't believe, well that's your decision to choose if you don't believe and want get us all wasted or try again to build back your life.

.  After Starlight calmed down and decided to back out of her plan, she was expecting punishment. But Twilight followed up with her extended hoof of friendship and decided to try and help Starlight along with her rehabilitation process. Twilight wanted to be involved with trying to help and educate Starlight on how try and pick up the pieces of her past friendships and to start anew all over again. Because she committed to this process when she offered it to Starlight in the beginning. That's a lot of responsibility that Twilight actually tried to take up.

Which has led us to this season 6... which I had hoped, would've gone a lot better than what we got during this whole season. Starlight always worked as a great antagonist, but if they wanted to go with the rehabilitation process with her, than I expected that tease out a lot more complexities about Starlight and further deepen her character. They've been extremely lackluster with her for this whole season 6 and I'm just kind of grunting at what they done so far with her for this entire season.  Right now Starlight, is trying to accept the concept that she can rebuild her life again and that she can make friends again (I just wish they had written her character better after this process).

Huh, I threw in a cold war reference.

Edited by pony.colin
  • Brohoof 1