Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask The Blackwater Family (at your own risk)

Randimaxis

post-34233-0-52718300-1475574520_thumb.png

[Art by Melted Dog]

Uhm... hiya!

I'm Dax.  Dax Blackwater.  

I've been seeing all these posts about asking questions to this pony or that one, so I was thinking, it'd be kinda nifty if maybe anypony had questions for me?  I mean, I know I'm not all that, but-

Daxter!  Don't sell yourself short like that - it's not proper.

Mother!

Well, I certainly think you may have some explaining to do - you start one of these... asking... things... and you don't even bother to say a WORD to your dear family about this!?

Mother... 

DON'T YOU 'MOTHER' ME, YOUNG COLT!

Yeah!

Oh, no...

Did you actually think you were gonna get away with this, Daxie-Waxie?

Oglevy, PLEASE...

Now, don't you DARE yell at your little brother!  I shan't have it!

*pbbbbbbbbt!*

This is... I can't... why did... HOW did...

ENOUGH.

... Luther, my love?

Let us begin.  Ask questions.  We will answer.

Uhm... y-yeah.  Yeah, ask us whatever you'd like to - we'll be happy to answer!  I guess we're all up for it, so... whenever you're ready, just fire away!

• Brohoof 3

Response to @Sweet Pen

"... Harcourt."

"Oh, my poor, poor boy..."

"I still say good riddance!"

"OGLEVY BLACKWATER!"

"... sorry..."

"Father?"

"..."

*sigh*  "Okay, then; I have an older brother named Harcourt - I'm sure you see he's not here with us right now..."

"..."

"... but he felt as though he wanted to see the world on his own.  Father had been grooming him for taking over the quarry since he was a colt, and Harcourt's a really clever stallion... but..."

"He did not want to do so."

"Oh, Luther..."

"He denied his birthright to my face.  I told him he was ungrateful and willful.  We argued.  We yelled."

"Father-"

"He struck me."

*sob*

"I told him never to set hoof in MY quarry, ever again.  He left.  I have not seen him in ten years."

"Yeah well, I DIDN'T LIKE HIM!"

"Shut up, brat!"

"NO!  He played tricks on me!  He made fun of me!  He even tried to have me shipped to Yakyakistan!"

"Yeah - HE DID THAT TO ME TOO!"

"... but he LIKED you..."

"..."

"..."

*sob*

"... next question."

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis

Copper: "Hello, Mr. Blackwater.  I never got to ask you, what was your history in this Quarry?  How was your father's way of running this place?  If you don't want to talk about it, it's okay.  I just want to know a bit of history."

• Brohoof 1

Response to @DwhitetheGamer

Copper, no!  Why would you ask tha-

No, Daxter.

Father, I-

NO.  This is for questions; he has asked one.  I will answer.

Luther, dear... are you sure?

Yes, Vylia.

The previous management was strict.  They were focused on as much work from the miners as possible, and gave no concern for health or welfare.  From my birth to the takeover, there were sixteen deaths within the Blackwater mines - and only six reported.  

The previous management did not believe in fairness, but many of the workers were here simply because it was all they knew.  Plus, management extorted those who threatened to speak out.  Wages were lost, and miners were not even safe to quit.

Management saw fit to attempt to blame their own embezzlement upon me... and it nearly cost my life.

From that very moment, I began planning and working toward taking back the quarry from management.  I worked hard enough to keep a blank flank for a long time, until I won ownership from management.  I received my mark the very moment I was pronounced sole owner.

I had management arrested, and have gotten much help to make it what it is today.

Father, I didn't know that yo-

Now you do.  Next question.

Uhm, yeah... n-next question, please.

Uhm... ?  Did... d-did you have a question?

Yeah, gimme a reason to be here, lookin' at DAX'S ugly mug...

OGLEVY!

... well, I'm bored... sorry...

*sigh*  So... DID you have a question?  It's okay; you can ask us. 

Response to @Sweet Pen

Father?

Yes, Daxter.  I will answer.

Blackwaters have been many things over the centuries, but there has ALWAYS been a Blackwater miner in our particular family line.  It is in our blood.

Uhm... maybe I could help shine more light on this, Father?

Yes, Daxter.

Show off.

HUSH!

Within the first month after the Reign of Discord had been ended by the Princesses, our ancestor Serious Black had managed to purchase a plot of land that, when he finally saw it, looked useless.  However, Serious' entire life savings had gone into this, so he made the best with what he had.  

Being in the mountains like it was, there wasn't really any way to grow food... so he began mining.  And lo and behold, he uncovered an enormous column of emerald, as pure as it got, and married a savvy businessmare.  Together, they helped start the chain of history that led to what is currently known as the Blackwater Quarry.

It didn't actually become a quarry until about a century ago - until then, it was the manor house and a hole in the side of a mountain.  But that manor house was built onto the original two-room shack that Serious started out living in; there's actually a hatch in one of the offices that still leads to it - though that part's been restored once.

Twice, dearie.

Sorry, you're right - twice - since it was built onto.  There's a number of Serious' notes and such in there-

Yeah, and Daxie used to hide and cry in there, too!

QUIET.

Yes sir.

Yes sir.

Not you, dearie.

Hunh?  OH!

So, yeah... I guess the answer to your question would be necessity.  Thanks for asking!

I'm just glad it wasn't another depressing question...

Next question, please!

• Brohoof 2

Response to @Sweet Pen

Quarrel?

You mean a fight?  

I do believe they meant such, yes.

*ahem*  Dearie, you simply MUST understand that each of us, in our own right, is quite a dynamic personality, don't you know?  Because of this, there certainly are times we have a few hiccups in getting along smoothly-

Hiccups?  Mother, Oglevy's done more to me than ANY bullies ever dared to!

Daxter, that's simply because he LOVES you-

EW!

Ew...

-and he wants to spend as much time near you as his little heart can!

Mother!

Moth-ER!

I hope you see that we ARE a family, and we certainly DO love each other very much... isn't that right, Luther dear?

Yes.

You see?  So much love in that single word, and a prompt response at that!  So, yes - we may have...

Fights!

Arguments.

Disagreements.

... the occasional issue, but I assure you - our family is still a family.

Response to

Oh!  M-me?

Well, why NOT you, Daxter dearie?  You're quite welcome to answer the question, of course!

YOU'VE GOT A FAAAAAN!  YOU'VE GOT A FAAAAAN!

Can it, OGGIE!

DON'T CALL ME THAT!

THE QUESTION.

... uhm, right.

Well, I have to admit that I hate how we sometimes kinda... uhm...

Go on, dearie.

... well, we hold onto things too much.

Like, well... Father really holds onto what happened to him when he was younger; it's a driving force behind who he is today, but I think he'd be so much happier if he'd simply let go of the past.

And Oglevy?

What?

... he won't let go of the fact he's ALWAYS gonna be the youngest.

Noodle-Butt!  Take that back!

See what I mean?

*pbbbbbbbbt*

And Harcourt?  Well, he has his pride - it was part of why he left.

And Mother-

AH-HA-HA-ha!  Let's stop right there, dearie!  I'm sure they have ALL the answers they were looking for!

... but yeah, some things should just be let go.

Like your 'being a wuss'.

OGLEVY!

But, the way that we support each other in ways folks don't normally see... the way we mesh well, even when we're fighting.  It's not like any other family I've ever read about.  I mean, Mother loves Father, and Father loves Mother...

Yes, I do.

Oh, Luther... 

... and even though Oglevy gets all mean toward me...

Your stupid face!

... he still defended me when one of the workers was calling me... uhm, a very sensitive name.

That filthy mouth-breather had it coming!  NYAH!

So there's that.  We really do have a strong family bond - and that's what I love most.

Awwwww, Daxter... that's so sweet!

*grins*

*giggle*  Sappy dork.

OGLEVY!

*laughter*

Response to

Uhm... what is THAT thing?

AH!  EW!  It's a RODENT!

Keep it away from ME!  EW EW EW EW EWWWWWW!!!!!

Mother... that's a Pikachu.

It threw WHAT at you?

No, Mother... it's part of a video game!

GOOD!  Then it can STAY there!

Uhm... Oglevy?

Yeah, I got this one.

Yeah, Pokemon GO! is actually REEEEEEEALLY cool!  I've been playing it for about six months now, and I absolutely LOVE it!  If I actually HAD to pick one that was my favorite, I'd have to break it down into two categories: which one I like, and which one's my favorite battler!

Daxter, do you have any idea what he's saying?

... uhm...

So yeah, I actually really think Meowth is a cool pokemon, but if I had to go with a fighting buddy, I'd have backup in the form of a Hitmonchan!  They're so kick-flank, it's GREAT!

Uhm... is there more?

No, Dorkster - I'm done.

OGLEVY!

... well, I am...

NEXT question.

Sweet Pen:

*appears once more and wraps her arm around Mr. Blackwater*

Hey there, Mr. Blackwater, I'm back, and I still have few more questions before leaving your family alone.

Tell me, what's your... "relationship" with other ponies?

• Brohoof 1

Response to @Sweet Pen

..!

What're you talking about?

Uhm... yeah, I have no idea what that means, either.

Ex-CUSE me, dearie... but allow ME to shed a bit of light on this subject, if I may?

When it comes to "relationships" where my dear husband of two decades is concerned, there are exactly three kinds of relationships:  The FIRST kind is the kind that I have with him - the romantic kind.  Poor Luther never was one for making approaches toward others-

Vylia?

Shush, dearie - so it would certainly be a relationship that hinged on MY initial interaction, and once he got the idea that I most certainly WAS interested, then we were married.

As in EXCLUSIVELY connected to each other... AND NO ONE ELSE.  Are you with me so far?

... she's got that look...

... I see it...

Now, the SECOND kind of relationship is the one that his workers have with him... as employees.  STRICTLY... BUSINESS... RELATIONSHIPS.  These are the kind that he most often has with almost everypony else at the quarry, except the children which are special, because they're his children.

... and the THIRD type of relationship?

... uh-oh...

The THIRD type of relationship is the kind which most certainly isn't lasting... BECAUSE IF ANYONE TRIES TO FORM ANY OTHER KIND OF RELATIONSHIP WITH MY HUSBAND, THEY WILL FIND THEMSELVES NOT LONG FOR THIS WORLD, ARE WE CLEAR?  AND FOR THE RECORD, YOU MAY KEEP YOUR HOOVES TO YOURSELF, DEARIE, AND GET THEM OFF OF MY STALLION BEFORE YOU LOSE THAT HOOF!

... thank you SO much for your question, dearie... I hope you were appropriately ENLIGHTENED as to Luther's relationship status.

Next question, please?

• Brohoof 2

Sweet Pen:

Oh please, Mrs. Blackwater, this isn't something personal, I'm doing my questions, and you all are replying to them in the best form possible.

*pokes Mr. Blackwater*

After all, you never heard of friendship?

• Brohoof 1

Response to @Sweet Pen

Father... doesn't... really HAVE friends.

Nope.

Luther... is very... erm... 'socially disdainful', you see.  He doesn't truly have much TIME for anything of the sort, what with taking care of the quarry and such.

He spends much of his day either going through paperwork, checking on the stockpile and even examining the workers on occasion.  He does tend to keep a very tightly-run ship, don't you know?

With all of this going on, why, it's exceedingly rare to even go so far as to convince him to accompany me to any sort of social event, dearie!  It's like pulling teeth!

... Vylia.

It isn't as if-... yes, love?

I can answer.

Father?

Dear, are you certain?

... yes.

*sigh*  Very well; it is your story.

Management knew I had been making friends as I mined with them; Management falsely informed them that I had embezzled their pay.  The ones I called friends beat me until I was almost dead, and left me.

Oh, Luther.

I HAVE heard of friendship - it taught me well.

Father... you HAVE to see that not every friendship ends in tragedy like that?  Don't you?

Father, friends - REAL friends - aren't like that.

Luther, my heart, they all DO have a point, you know.

... so do I.

?

Eliminate chances for betrayal, and you will never end up betrayed.

Luther-

I HAVE SPOKEN.

... uhm, next q-question, please.

Response to

Pickles..?

Uhm... sure!  I'd enjoy a pickle.

As much as I do thoroughly appreciate your kind and generous offer, I am afraid I will have to decline, dearie - I never was one for... those... in the first place.  But I do so very much appreciate your offer!

Pickles..?

YES.  PLEASE.

L-Luther?

Pickles are delicious.

!!!  Luther, love - I don't know if-

Pickle, please.

Pickles..?

Father... you like pickles, too?

VERY much.

Hunh... that's kinda nifty - I had no idea YOU liked pickles too!  

Well, I certainly don't begrudge the two of you your likes... however dis-GUST-ing they may be...

PICKLES!?

post-18984-0-81166200-1421037033.gif Soury: everything is okay darlings, i have a cart with some goodies if you want, french fries, hot carrot (yeah hot dog but with a carrot or pickle instead of sausage) and onion rings, is my courtesy now i wanna make a question to all of you

what has been the least food you ever tasted?
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Response to @Balareth

The least food we've ever tasted?

What's THAT mean?

I believe she's asking what foods we least LIKE, dearie.

Oh, umm... artichokes.  Can't STAND artichokes, myself.  FEH!

Well, no offense to YOU, but I'd have to say PICKLES; though I do like cucumbers, that vinegary taste simply turns my stomach... I simply cannot abide by them.

I HATE CHOCOLATE!

That's because you're allergic, Oglevy.

Yeah, well - I can hate it if I want to!  So THERE!

... mushrooms.

Really, Father?

Yes.  Mushrooms.  Gross.

I like 'em...

And I like artichokes.

Hunh... go figure.

• Brohoof 1

Response to

What... what's that?  'Meemey?'

No, no - as to the pronunciation, it's 'meme'.

Meem?

Close enough.

Well... what in Luna's name is THAT supposed to be?

Maybe it's a sort of cake, perhaps?

I... actually, I'm clueless on this one.

*sigh*  MEMES are little pictures of social media bits that have funny stuff written with them that gives the picture a funny connotation.  They're actually really popular in the human world, supposedly.

Oh.  Well, now... isn't that special?

Uhm... okaaaaaay...

Father?  Do you know what a meme is?

post-34233-0-98468500-1477722157_thumb.jpg

..!

..?

... next question.

• Brohoof 2