Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask The Blackwater Family (at your own risk)

Randimaxis

Response to

'Backwoods'?

Like... camping?  Oh, I've got that down pat!

Heeeeere we go...

I absolutely love making s'mores over a campfire!  At my tent away from the quarry, I've actually got all the makings for s'mores, as well as a way to keep cold, fresh grape juice and cheese, too!  See, there's a river right next to-

Daxter, do you plan to allow US to respond?

... uhm, yeah.  Go right ahead.  Sorry.

THANK you, dearie.  Now, as for myself, I tend to stay AWAY from the backwoods... but, admittedly, I have had some of the WONDERFUL pancakes that my Daxter makes on that flatiron; oh, they are to DIE for!

Awww, Mother...

And I know the different berries by heart; cranberries have that reeeeeeeally tart taste that makes the corners of your jaw tighten up!  I LOVE that feeling!

Father, what outdoorsy-type-thing do YOU like to eat?

S'mores.

Of course!  Like Father, like son!

Yes.

... now I'm hungry...

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Response to @Handsome Changeling

I've actually MET Changelings before - as long as they're not, like, starving, they're actually really interesting.  And we have a bat-pony working at the quarry!

Eugh, HIM.  Yes, yes we do.

Mother, he's a VERY loyal worker - he makes a perfect guide for the miners!

Yes, I am WELL aware of that, dearie... and as long as he STAYS in the mines, doing just that, then things will be fine.

Wow.  Just, wow.

And zebras?  We actually have zebras in our family line - it's why I have green stripes, I think.

Zebras?  Now THERE is a regal race if ever I knew of one!  They seem so exotic, so learned, so very esoteric...

Uh, Mother..?  You're saying you like zeebs, but not Thestrals?

FEH.  Dis-GUST-ting, if you ask me.  There was a couple living in the same apartment building as my parents, and when I was growing up, they had absolutely ODIOUS personal habits!  And they were prone to LOUD music, regardless of the time of night!

Well... just because they were rude, it doesn't mean they ALL are.

WELL, I suppose we'll simply have to disagree, now WON'T we?

Father, what do YOU think?

An individual should be judged by their deeds, not their race.

... yes, well...

That was DEEP, Father.

Meh - why worry about race?  Unless you're talking about SPEED; now THAT is the kind of race I think about!

Good for you, Oglevy!

Can it, dweebovite...

• Brohoof 1

Response to @Sweet Pen

Illegal?

HA!  Like YOU'D ever have the chestnuts to do anything BAD, Daxie!

Well... I could, y'know...

Suuuuuuuure you would...

... well, I... uhm... I could...

Yeah, right!

Enough, you two!

What about YOU, Mother?

Myself?  HA ha ha ha ha haa!  Dearies, I can assure you now, I have never BEEN CAUGHT doing nor having anything illegal!

Why... why'd you say it like that?

That's enough, you two; I answered the question, did I not?

Father..?

Yeah, have YOU-

No.

Really?

Never, Father?

Daxter!  Oglevy!  Your Father is FAR too much of a straight arrow to ever do anything sordid!

Not like you, right?

OGLEVY BLACKWATER!

Sweet Pen:

Woah, I see you guys don't go well with each other.

Next question, directed to the mother that I forgot the name:

Does it exist something in this place, that makes you wonder how did it got there? Anything, can be a object or even somepony else.

*whispers to herself*

For sure it's the bat ponies.

• Brohoof 1

Response to @Sweet Pen

FORGOT MY NAME!?!?  

Oh dear...

Uh-oh...

YOU PRESUME TO COME HERE AND TELL ME THAT YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT MY NAME IS, AND NOW YOU ASK ME QUESTIONS!!??

Vylia.

HOW DARE YOU!  YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY ZERO INTELL-

VYLIA.

Enough.  Answer the question.

Mother?

... FINE.  IF YOU-... if you're asking about things that I wonder about being here, then I have to be completely honest and speak up about that overgrown eyesore below Blackwater Ridge.

... you mean Chisel's Garden?

YES!  That place.  It's overgrown and mouldy... nothing but a reminder that we could easily used that area for soirees and parties or such.

Mother!  That place is a statue garden - not only that, but those statues were hoofcarved by Chisel Black herself!  She's considered a Master Sculptor!

Well, if THAT'S the case, then we could probably SELL them for a phenomenal profit, couldn't we?

Vylia - that is Blackwater Heritage; NOT for sale.

Well then, why don't we SALVAGE the place?  Clean it up?  Make it presentable for luncheons and such?  I daresay that it's an absolute WASTE to have such a prime area, and to let it fester and overgrow like that!

Then feel free to CLEAN it, Vylia.

..?

... too much trouble, dearie.  I have BETTER things to do, at any rate.

... why do we have a Pony Express office?  I wouldn't think enough ponies come through the quarry to warrant one...

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Response to @Balareth

WEEEEEEEEEKEEEEEEEEENDS!!!!!

Oglevy!

Well, THAT'S when I take ROOF FLIGHTS!

Oh, sweet Luna's crown...

I make my way to the top of Blackwater Manor, on the rooftop, and I get a good running start, then LAUNCH myself into the updrafts from the mountain valley - I can go MUCH higher that way, high enough to get almost a complete view of ALL of Equestria!

Dearie, you're not going THAT high...

How do YOU know?  You don't see me when I-

Because I am telling you so now: YOU'RE NOT GOING THAT HIGH.

... yes, Mother...

I, on the other hoof, manage to take the weekends and travel into Canterlot.  I have a hoof and mane treatment, then I make my rounds of the local shops, seeing what new fashions have made their way to the shelves... I simply make a day of it, don't you know?

I... well, I mostly stick to my campsite, maybe work on a few start charts... reading 'em, not making... or perhaps I go up to the quarry yard and see what the foreponies are up to.  Otherwise... well, not much.

I work.  There is always work to do.

Father, you're such a stick in the-... uh...

... stick in the WHAT?

... nothing... just, I dunno... yeah, nothing...

• Brohoof 1

Response to

HA!  Such foolishness!  Why would one such as that ever darken our doorstep with his cursed shadow?  Besides, we have nothing to fear from him any longer; the princesses, along with the Elements of Harmony, sent him packing!  Good riddance too, if you catch my drift!

Mother... you do realize that he was simply dispersed, right?

... and here we go again...

Daxter, dearie... he was defeated.

For NOW, Mother!  There's a number of theories that state he could simply have had his essence dispersed, and it would possibly only be a matter of time before he can pull himself back toge-

Enough nonsense!  He has been dealt with, and that is that!  I'll hear no more about all this 'dispersal' business, and I'll brook no argument.  

Yes, Mother.

Father?  How would YOU deal with King Sombra if he showed up at our place?

It is MY quarry - he would do well to observe that.  If he keeps that in mind, he may stay.  Otherwise, I would show him the door.

You think you could handle him, Father?

If he tried to take my quarry?  YES.

... well spoken, Luther dear.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

*Necrodeus appears by teleportation*

Why hello there Blackwaters. :)

*Reads paper* *sigh*  Sorry its from them..

They have to ask this... Anyways, those people in Equestria are wondering how many emeralds or any other valuables the miners collect on a daily basis and where did you come up with that name? 

Oh  and by the way, I like your personality towards others who come here to ask you

questions and I do admire the discipline you teach towards your sons.  :) 

Its very intriguing and my men need discipline themselves. I make sure of it though, the

hard way. As always..go figure.

Edited by Unovas
  • Brohoof 1

Response to

On a typical daily basis, we mine, cut and polish around a single ton of gems - mostly emeralds, but others too.  There have been lesser and greater days, but that is a typical one.

OH!  And our NAME!

... yada yada yada...

The family name USED to be Black, long ago.  From Serious Black all the way to Weapon Black; it was Weapon that changed it, and he did so for an extremely noble cause...

I DO enjoy when you tell this story, dearie.

... he did it for LOVE.

Bleah.

Back in those days, some zebras used to be kept in indentured servitude.  One of them managed to get away from her captors, and made her way all the way up into the section of the Crystal Mountains where he lived - what would BECOME the quarry - and collapsed at his doorstep, begging for food.  He took her in, got her back to health, and managed to fall head-over-hooves for her in the process.  

Ugh.

But one day, hunters for the family that had owned her showed up, and they demanded her return due to her name being on a bill of sale.  Weapon wouldn't have it, and in an inspired speech, he informed them that a name meant nothing, and that she was unbeholden to anything if her name wasn't on the bill.  Therefore, he changed her name AND his own, to prove his point.  The hunters were convinced by Weapon's speech, and offered to inform the family that she was found deceased.  The two of them were left alone, and they married.

Yuck!

And THAT is how the Blackwaters got their family name... and how I got stripes in my coat!

Absolutely MARVELOUS, Daxter!  Such an eloquent tale-teller!

Thank you, Mother.

BLEAH!!!!!

OGLEVY!

• Brohoof 1

*Dark Nebula/Matter Appeared In Mid Air And Lands*

I knew the Blackwater will always be there. A lot of history here I can sense it. Since, I'm here my occupation. I am Necrodeus's partner The Dark Swordsman named Dark Nebula or Matter. Like it does right. Hehe.

Still ahem my questions, this one goes too each:

To Daxter: How often did you ever get picked on by someone and who was it that picks on you?

To Vylia: Where did you get those nice looking leg braces and how many times do you yell at your kids? (The people from Equestria can hear you, FYI.)

To Luther: What has to be the best things your business has achieved and how long will you predict this business of yours will keep running?

Oh yes Oglevy: Did you ever performed any hardcore stunts with Daxter and what kinds of cool tricks can you do?

Edited by Unovas
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Response to

Well, uhh... oh.

Daxter?

The workers here have heard a... particular... s-s-story about me... and they, uh...

They think you're poison.

OGLEVY BLACKWATER!

... no, Mother - it's true.

Well, I NEVER!  You tell me who does this to you right now, and I'll make sure they get fired so fast, their heads will spi-

NO.

... Luther?

Continue, Daxter.

... well, I take a lot of grief from some of the workers, but it's just what they're afraid of - it's not ME, it's being fired.

Well, let ME catch them at it ONE GOOD TIME...

Mother?  YOUR question?

...oh?  Oh!  OHHHH!  Well, first off I'd certainly like to THANK you for noticing such finery! These are bangles from Star Blackwater herself, don't you know?  She was quite well-known for her jewelry, and these are heirlooms, passed from hoof to hoof... and now they adorn mine.

And the OTHER part?

Yeah, the OTHER part?

... only when I need to.  Isn't... that... RIGHT?

Yes, ma'am.

Yes, ma'am.

Now, your turn, dearie.

The quarry has the distinction of being the largest producer of finely-cut emeralds in all of Equestria.  I would say THAT is an achievement.  There are also the investments I have made into faltering businesses - I only support the ones that work HARD, but I support them completely.  As for how long it shall continue, I do not know - but I do believe that it shall continue, one way or another.

Well put, Father.

OOH!  MY TURN!

Go right ahead.

I've been practicing for a long time, and I've got a KILLER vertical loop that'll knock your horseshoes off!  Dax kinda just stands there and cheers,... and sometimes tells me when I'm a little off... and times me... but that's about it - he's landbound, so he doesn't know pitch and yaw.  Not to mention that I've been getting in a lot of airtime lately, thanks to my tutors coming down with colds!

Oglevy... did YOU have anything to do with-

I know nothing.

Yeah, I'll bet.

Daxter...

• Brohoof 1

*Masked Commander Appears*

https://mlpforums.com/uploads/monthly_02_2017/post-40379-0-61974100-1487314455.png

"Scan for readings: Blackwaters"

"Names: Daxter,Vylia,Luther, and Oglevy Blackwater"

"Occupation: Mining facility original"

*Presses button for voice*

"Sorry for that, its the only way I know people. I am not that

much of a robot. As you see these gadgets are

built in me when I was a foal."

"Still on with the questions. TooVylia: Do you have a friend bond with Crystal Noble and

how well do you get along?

Lastly too Daxter: If you were to date someone from ponyville, who would it be and

why?" 

Edited by Unovas
  • Brohoof 1

Response to 

Oh, what I wouldn't GIVE for a chance to mingle with the upper class!

Oh, brother...

You said it.

Why, I'm absolutely CERTAIN that I'd be an absolute SMASH hit at a fine soiree, sipping fine cider with the elegant and elite... laughing at jokes that simple-minded folk would NEVER understand... showing off all of our collective finery... truly, I most certainly WOULD be quite happy to be around such elevated statuses... yet...

... we're Blackwaters.

Daxter!

Well, Mother - it's true.  We have the stain of previous Blackwaters on our heads, and no amount of hobnobbing will ever wash it off.  You have GOT to see that, Moth-

I SHALL DO NOTHING OF THE SORT!

... ooooh...

Merely giving up my dream?  FEH!  Eventually, the sophisticates will see the TRUE quality in MY family, and they'll be happy to invite us personally to their get-togethers!  I'm not giving up, simply because there are marks on the family name; all the more reason to push that much more fiercely.

Well, that's ONE way to put it.

And how about YOU, Daxter, my dear?  

Yes.  Are there prospects?

You're barking up the wrong tree, RoboPone!  NOBODY likes Daxie!  He'll never get married, 'cause NOBODY likes him!

OGLEVY!

Heeeeeee... ain't got no-boooooooo-dy!

ENOUGH.

... Daxter?

... Daxter.

... uhm... Dax?  You o-okay?  Look, I didn't mean-

Leave me alone.

... uhhh, next question.

• 1 year later...

FeatherTurner: Hello there BlackWater family. I'm FeatherTurner and it is a honor to be within your presence. I have great things about your family. Anyways I have a few questions to ask some on behalf of my friend Ocean Whiplash.

First, would you be willing to allow a geologist or their apprentice coming into the mines and look for a very rare stone? 

Second, What is daily life like around the mines?

Third and last question for now how do you fell about travelers and ponies that make it their lives work to see Equestria and beyond?

• Brohoof 1

Oh!  So well-mannered... and an excellent judge of character, too!  Aren't you refreshing?  Thank you ever so much for your interest!  As to those questions, I feel those would be best answered by the more professional end of our esteemed quarry; Luther, dearie, I do believe this is more within YOUR wheelhouse.

Indeed.

First, I would be interested in finding out exactly what stone this geologist is seeking - I might know where some is.  If not, I can assign workers to help.

Second, life is work; work is done until time to quit... then food, rest... and again the next day.

Well, there's more to it than that, of course - Luther merely tends to the contracts and deals with many of the negotiations, and doesn't usually leave his office much.

No.

That being the case, he might be better off leaving this question to-

I gave an answer; it should be enough.

Oh... well, of course, dearie - do continue.

Third, I feel like they do dangerous work for the good of everyone; they are worthy of respect.

Such high praise!  Color me impressed!

FeatherTurner: Thank you so much for answering my questions. I will get back to you all when I get more information on the stone. As far as I know it's a hybrid gem. I must get back before Ocean is due with her first child. I hope to see you all some time soon to arrange for our expedition for the gem. Thank you all gagian for letting me ask my questions. Until the next time BlackWater family. *bows then trots off*

• Brohoof 1