What did you think of the episode?  

134 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• I ain't lying; that was terrible!
    • That...wasn't good.
    • Honestly...meh.
    • I liked it; could've been better.
    • That was honestly AWESOME! <3

This was a good bounce back after the last few mediocre episodes.

It was cool to see how different Applejack and Big Mac were in their younger days. Big Mac as a chatterbox was pretty surprising to see.

After just seeing Legend of Everfree, seeing Filthy Rich as a good guy feels pretty jarring.

So it appears Fluttershy isn't the only one who looked like that when she was a filly. It might just be a stage in every young pony's life that they go through.

Overall, I enjoyed this one.

I do question her cutie mark anew - what if she got her cutie mark late. Like waaaay late? Like when Filthy Rich proposed and she realized all she wanted was to raise through the social ranks and become a super important pony? (Cos, yknow, her cutie mark is a diamond ring that looks suspiciously like an engagement ring. Tho not sure what an earth pony would do with that since rings seem to be something reserved for unicorns.) Ah but I'm running off down headcanon paths again. There's just so much fodder for that sort of thinking in this episode.

I was thinking the same thing! My headcanon is that Spoiled's special talent is being a gold digger. XD Her cutie mark (which definitely is an engagement ring) only appeared when a rich guy actually proposed to her. 

The fact that we don't see Applejack and Big Mac's parents in this flashback episode was a little disappointing because it would've been nice to see what they looked like. They had to have still been alive since it was hinted that Applebloom wasn't born yet. 

However it does make one wonder if the parents were on vacation at the time this episode took place, or if Applejack, Big Mac, Apple Bloom, and their parents lived somewhere other than Sweet Apple Acres and Applejack and Big Mac would sometimes spend a couple weeks a year during certain crop seasons to help Granny Smith out. Their parents meanwhile staying back at their original house with Applebloom either not having been born or having been to young yet to go. 

• 4 weeks later...

Here comes a second late comment from me. Two more to go,

The episode looked at first like some boring episode in which nothing happens also apple family episode has lots of nice episode, though not always but boy, that episode gave me good laughs. I rarely give an episode 5/5 if they are not my type of episodes but this really was great for its type. What I really liked - AJ as a teen? Looks so cute, more than their filly version.

The past of some ponies like Spoiled Rich, the mother and father of Diamond Tiara. Spoiled Rich actually looks pretty in her past look. Also you can see Mrs Cake as young. I cannot say his look impressed me but we learnt why Big Mac is down to Eeeyup and Nooope, wow, and how he was speaking before, the culmination of his story! The hospital part had funny moments, also since they are in the past it is ok their personality to not be the same as now. Overall an entertaining episode, so as I said, I liked it.

Oh and what the heck lol (left) and arent they adorable (right)?

post-37448-0-65505400-1478995384_thumb.jpg

This was the most recent episode I watched and I can happily say that it's one of the best I've seen for a while. Although I would've liked to have seen AJ's parents, I really enjoyed this particular Apple anecdote. Young AJ was adorable (she looked so cute with the hairstyle you often see on her blind bag figures!) and I liked her backstory, it was a nice way to explain her honest ways. I liked that it showed that she wasn't born perfectly honest, but learned from her mistakes and changed herself for the better. I certainly didn't expect Big Mac to be so talkative which was a nice surprise! 

It was fun to see why Big Mac adopted his quiet nature.

He used to talk too much, now he's doing the complete opposite. :eeyup:

I also got a big kick out of Spoiled Rich's maiden name being Spoiled Milk. ^_^

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

AJ and Big Mac were surprisingly good here. To be blunt, they were jerks to each other, but when it comes to this conflict, you can see where they come from. Applejack worried about breaking her promise with Filthy Rich and didn't want to break it or else lose business ties to the rich family. Big Mac Mouth knew that by allowing AJ to lie and get away with it, it got worse. There were consequences to AJ's lies, and they were almost so damning.

And Filthy Rich actually being likable and in character is a welcome return!

A few problems:

1. Where is Apple Bloom? Surely, she would've been born by the time this flashback happened, so for her to be completely missing without explanation is a pretty big plot hole. Not enough to damage the episode, sure, but at least fill it in.
  2. Big Mac's reason for his current attitude doesn't make any sense. He's been presented as a pretty shy character who doesn't like to talk much, so why does Where the Apple Lies come across as intentionally deciding to talk less. To echo @Wind Chaser, it implicates that he forces himself to shut up even in times where talking is a must or that talking too little is much better than talking too much (when it's not).
  3. I'm not sure how good or bad her eyesight is, but it doesn't make any sense for Granny Smith to believe that what's sticking out of that hospital blanket is a tree branch. Even if she can't see so well, she surely has the judgment to know what branches FEEL like. There's a YUGE difference in texture.

In short, decent. Could be much better, though.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I found it okay. I mean, i already saw Applejack lie a few times, specially after the Episode just before this one, where she told the Story wrong, but okay. It isnt surprising that Applejack lies, she lies like a normal Person, there is nothing special about her, so the whole Episode just felt pointless. Also the Reason for Big Mac to shut up in the future is just dumb, since he talked normally in the first Season, so its like Sheldons Knock knock thing from The Big Bang Theory, it got a backstory as well, despite the fact that he didnt even do it at first in the first Season, its just a stupid joke that developed over time and giving it a backstory makes no sense at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I liked the overall concept behind the episode, but at the same time, this episode makes me wonder: “What happened to Big Mac’s voice? He rarely talks now...” 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I liked it. Some of the ways she presented the lies were cringe, but the way she hid them was hilarious, and the climax was pretty entertaining.
Also, now it looks like it's canon that Derpy wasn't born with derpy eyes.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like this episode. It's a simple one, but it's also nice to see young Applejack and talkative Big Mac. There are issues, like Big Mac's reason for not talking messes with his character up to this point and doesn't make sense. Big Mac's talking wasn't the problem. In fact, if he explained everything to Filthy Rich, he would've solved the problem.

Other than that, there were some good jokes and Granny Smith is pretty great.

Score: 7/10

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

This episode was quite funny. Seeing Applejack's lies get out of her hands was interesting, and I liked learning more about Applejack's past. I didn't like how she looked when she was a child, though. It's not that she looks ugly, she just looks the same as her current form and not like a child. Unlike Applebloom who's properly designed as a filly, Applejack was just the same pony with weirdly thin legs. That was exatly how Fluttershy looked as well, and it just doesn't look right. I hoped to see some new design, and was disappointed.

The story itself was great, though! :mlp_yeehaa:

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

This is a pretty good episode. Unlike most of the other more simple episodes this season, this episode has a fun spin on its pretty basic liar revealed story. Applejack and Big Mac have a great dynamic and the dialogue between them is really fun to listen to. Everything is paced well the tension of the situation is kept high enough to keep me invested the entire time.

There are some issues like Big Mac having no reason to stop talking and Granny Smith not recognizing that Big Mac's arm is an arm and not a tree branch, but those are pretty minor in an otherwise enjoyable episode.

Score: 7/10

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...

This episode kinda messes with the timeline, however the whole apple-family continuity is a mess anyway so...

As for the episode itself, it was really funny and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. So many great moments, and I liked how they made spoiled milk still kinda an antagonist but more likeable here, just slightly... I could understand everyones point of view and I thought the characters were well portrayed. I have to say big mac was the best part of this episode, he was so funny, at some points he kind of reminded me of myself.    

9\10, awesome episode.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

I quite enjoyed this episode, although I wonder where Apple Bloom was. Perhaps it was when she was in was in school. I enjoyed seeing AJ and Big Mac's conflict in a way you understand both sides. I enjoyed the way Filthy Rich and Spoiled Milk were involved in the story. Usually its the business men lying, but this was a really good episode.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

This episode was alright. It was an interesting development for Applejack and Big Macintosh and it shows that they're not the most honest ponies in the world. If there's nothing else to watch, I'll put the episode on when I get bored or put it in the background.

Though on a side note, the name Spoiled Milk was terrible.

• 2 weeks later...

To see BigMac talking nonstop and AJ telling outrageous lies was quite the experience. The idea of character existing well before and after the time frame the audience follow the adventures is always good. In this case it kinda feels a bit out of place because the most characteristics of these characters are inverted. Still I really enjoyed to see this even if it's hard to imagine. And at least we have now a canon explanation for AJ honesty and BigMacs little talking.

• Brohoof 2