Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's wrong with Starlight turning into an alicorn?

TheAnimatorOfficial

Seriously. Why are you against someone who has faced tons of adversity but then overcame it to be the hero of Equestria getting a reward?

This is why this fandom can be annoying at times. There's always some character or move that actually progresses the story yet people still whine because "muh Faust".

• Brohoof 3

She doesn't seem like a character that deserves it. Think about it. She did a ton of evil things to other ponies, she has an ungodly amount of magical power for no reason which she has used several times already to do something else and have it horribly backfire, and we have seen her accomplish what, 3-4 friendship lessons? Twilight went through far more than that in season 1 alone.

For me, Starlight has not had enough character development, she hasn't had a good enough explanation for her being insanely overpowered, she hasn't shown that much growth throughout this entire season and her being an alicorn, to me, would make about as much sense as Flurry Heart being one. Which is no sense whatsoever. If she does become one, fine, whatever, I can deal with it, I just really wish they would have done more with her first. I mean, with her interactions with Trixie and some other characters, I am starting to like her a bit, but I wanted more of that in this season.

• Brohoof 11

Because she hasn't faced a lot of adversity after being reformed. She either doesn't face consequences for her actions or the ones she does have to face are fixed really quickly and easily.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

Because she ain't ready for it yet, and I kinda don't like viewing becoming an Alicorn as a "reward," as that brings up my usual issue that Twilight's friends have earned it just as much as she has. Besides, I kinda feel that having such an extreme thing as a reward cheapens the character arc a bit, and I dunno that such responsibility is so much of a reward anyway if you're not seeking it.

• Brohoof 2

Because she hasn't earned it. Many feel practically everything was handed to her, and turning her into an alicorn would only further that assessment. It has nothing to those thinly veiled insults you threw out

• Brohoof 6

I said this a billion times but alicorns were meant to be very unique but if you keep giving it away like candy than it loses all it's luster and graphical interest.

To quote ish firebrand from hsi revei. it like when Draogn ball had super sayans but then people accended over and over.

Alicorn has no meaning anymore..

thaCadance: just stood there and did a speach that is read the book..she literally didn't do much.

Starlight Glimmer wasn't sent to Tartarus at the end of season 5, and faced no punishment for some of her more dubious actions since then.  I'd say she's been pretty well rewarded already, and still has a long way to go to earn the reward she has already been given.

• Brohoof 4

Pretty sure this is a joke thread, but I'll entertain it anyway. 

Why shouldn't Starlight become an alicorn? Gee, I don't know...

- Maybe because her growth throughout season six has consisted of, at most, six episodes, whereas Twilight spent an entire season learning lessons herself, and then an additional two seasons of learning lessons alongside her friends? 

- Maybe because the mane five are not alicorns themselves, and they clearly deserve it infinitely more? 

- Maybe because Starlight has already received enough reward in getting away scot-free for nearly dooming Equestria forever, and becoming an alicorn only one season later would be ridiculously excessive? 

- Maybe because there is clearly no more room in Equestria for an another princess, thus rendering her ascension meaningless and pointless? 

- Maybe because just a few episodes ago, she mind-controlled the mane five and didn't think there was a single thing wrong with it? 

- Maybe because she's already a controversial addition to the show, and this would only serve to incite more hatred against her?

- Maybe because this would verify the notion that Starlight was simply someone's OC that the writers shoved into the show, since alicorn OCs normally have very little justification as to why they're alicorns? 

- Maybe because Larson isn't around anymore? 

• Brohoof 9

Pretty sure this is a joke thread, but I'll entertain it anyway.

Why shouldn't Starlight become an alicorn? Gee, I don't know...

- Maybe because her growth throughout season six has consisted of, at most, six episodes, whereas Twilight spent an entire season learning lessons herself, and then an additional two seasons of learning lessons alongside her friends?

- Maybe because the mane five are not alicorns themselves, and they clearly deserve it infinitely more?

- Maybe because Starlight has already received enough reward in getting away scot-free for nearly dooming Equestria forever, and becoming an alicorn only one season later would be ridiculously excessive?

- Maybe because there is clearly no more room in Equestria for an another princess, thus rendering her ascension meaningless and pointless?

- Maybe because just a few episodes ago, she mind-controlled the mane five and didn't think there was a single thing wrong with it?

- Maybe because she's already a controversial addition to the show, and this would only serve to incite more hatred against her?

- Maybe because this would verify the notion that Starlight was simply someone's OC that the writers shoved into the show, since alicorn OCs normally have very little justification as to why they're alicorns?

- Maybe because Larson isn't around anymore?

I wasn't kidding in the slightest.

I love Starlight, but that would be a terrible idea. Here's why:

• She's definitely not ready. She's made progress, but some of her old habits are still present, and even if she manages to break free from them she still isn't experienced enough in friendship, Twilight needed 3 seasons in which she appeared in almost every episode, not 2 seasons with just 6 appearances (also, we already have a princess of friendship, another one would be pointless).
  • She's already OP enough. How much she relies on her magical abilities is what has kept her from becoming a socially competent pony and what has caused most of her problems. She doesn't need more power.
  • Twilight's destiny always was to become a princess, that's why her cutie mark has a connection to the tree of harmony. Cadence's has a connection to the crystal heart and I don't need to explain Luna's and Celestia's. Starlight's cutie mark just shows that she's good at magic, nothing else.
  • The show can only handle so much change in its dynamics, some people are still struggling to accept this new change, others won't ever do. While I think Starlight has been a nice addition to the show so far I don't want this show to be about her. This is still about the mane 6, even if sometimes it isn't. Sometimes.
  • Brohoof 5

Because she hasn't earned, it is NOWHERE NEAR the other 6's level for character richness (And making her even more special would require far more focus being put on her when the others are VASTLY more entertaining), and she's just not someone who deserves it.
Who saved the day? THORAX. Thorax fought against his species instincts, learned about friendship, and NEVER tried to mind rape everyone without even THINKING that such a thing was a bad thing until having it hammered into him. Thorax has a great grasp on right and wrong; starlight is still mentally incompetent.

Still, all that aside, the main reason is I don't want ANY more focus on her, I find her to be an incredibly weak character, and making her a princess would give her an undeserved character arc and focus that would probably bore me to tears.

I can only hope that she MIGHT dissapear after this season, but I know that its probably just going to have her become the new seventh member next season...

Because she is completely annoying as hell and needs to disappear off the face of Equestria in the worse manner possible. 

THIS XD

• Brohoof 3

Because she ain't ready for it yet, and I kinda don't like viewing becoming an Alicorn as a "reward," as that brings up my usual issue that Twilight's friends have earned it just as much as she has. Besides, I kinda feel that having such an extreme thing as a reward cheapens the character arc a bit, and I dunno that such responsibility is so much of a reward anyway if you're not seeking it.

it's more than just earning it, but it's also feeling it inside which makes an artificial Alicorn. It's "the magic inside of youuuuuuu", as seen in MNC, the true magic in Twilights heart that literally came from her chest, to turn her what she felt she had become on the inside, to make the outside to match. Only AFTER she had showed leadership, friendship, Loyalty, kindness, generosity, and optimism. Soki under all those conditions- earning it, and FEELING IT on the inside, SG will never become a alicorn, thank goodness

If there was any justice all the mane would be rewarded equally for all they've done. I'm actually kinda bitter towards Spike getting praised more in the show than they are. I don't care for Starlight, but she got the job done yesterday, so I'll let her have her moment. But she's not on their level by a longshot, and I think rewarding her greater than they've ever been would be insulting to them.

• Brohoof 1

To quote ish firebrand from hsi revei. it like when Draogn ball had super sayans but then people accended over and over.

Alicorn has no meaning anymore..

thaCadance: just stood there and did a speach that is read the book..she literally didn't do much.

Yes and that's sad. Having a bunch of Saiyans really destroyed how mystifying they were since they were supposedly wiped out from the destruction of their planet. So not only were Saiyans not interesting anymore the tragedy of their genocide has lost all meaning since so many of them are popping out.

Edited by cider float

As much as I like Starlight, no. Not an alicorn. Or if she does end up being one, she'll need several things (more development for instance, getting over her trauma, etc), among which - a purpose. Remember how Twilight struggled to find hers when she became an alicorn?

We don't know that much about alicorns yet, and there's already a lot of controversial changes this season. Flurryheart, the reformations, the changelings, Starlight herself... There are too many things to adress right now.

It's also worth taking into consideration that as recently as 'Every little thing she does' Starlight still thought it perfectly acceptable to use mind control magic on ponies that are supposed to be her friends.  That shows pretty conclusively that she had learned very little from her friendship lessons up to that point.

I'm very much against Larsonising every pony in sight, but even given the inevitability that we are going to see more Alicorns before the run of the cartoon ends, Starlight Shimmer is so far down the list of those deserving ascension that she doesn't even warrant consideration at this point.

• Brohoof 1

I'm very much against Larsonising every pony in sight, but even given the inevitability that we are going to see more Alicorns before the run of the cartoon ends,

I'd actually disagree there, at least for NEW alicorns.

I think we might see alicorns that have existed since far into the past (like being from over 1000 years ago when there were alicorns occupying the land that would be settled and made equestria), but I don't think we'll have any more being born or ascending anytime soon (apart from possibly starlight if they keep chugging on their current train).

And, while I can see the issue with "new" alicorns showing up, I don't see the issue with having Alicorns from essentially pre-historic times showing up if they were in hiding doing important tasks of some sort. (Like how the movie's original script that was sent to sony apparently had a few alicorns as the central plot)

Because people don't like Starlight and find every reason under the sun for her not to deserve nor have anything good.

As a side note, for someone who personally loves Starlight Glimmer more than I probably should, I'm getting to the point where I practically cringe every time I see a thread about her. I'm so sick of the negativity.

Edited by Chrylestia600

That shows pretty conclusively that she had learned very little from her friendship lessons up to that point.

She did avoid them, after all. Meaning, she barely had any, up to that point. I do agree she still has too much to learn to deserve being one, and like you, I wouldn't like seeing alicorns popping right and left. They're special beings, and so far, this has been respected. If a new one comes, give her (or... him?!) a purpose. Otherwise, she'll be another princess of merchandising, like a certain newborn alicorn.

• Brohoof 1

The show already has five alicorns of varying power, and the fandom has been very divisive on that front particularly to both Twilight and Flurry Heart becoming alicorns--Flurry Heart was born as one. Having a sixth alicorn would definitely push the fandom over the edge, and the firestorm that would erupt is something I'd rather not see happening right now.

Besides, if any character deserves to be an alicorn right now, it would be Sunset, but that's for another discussion.

I'll flip the question. Why does she need to be an alicorn? In what way would becoming an alicorn advance her personality or character in a way that is fundamentally necessary to her growth at this time? Would it make her a more complex character? A more likeable character? A more accepted one? What would stop her from being called even more of a twiclone than she often already is?

No, she still has a ton of potential the way she is.. both to grow as an individual within the show personality wise and to find and discover her destiny within the MLP universe. To just shove her into alicorn status would totally ignore that possible future growth and make her a carbon copy of what is already out there. We don't need more of the same thing... we have enough of it as is not being utilized to it's full potential... or do we need another super powered flying unicorn paper weight that really doesn't do much else besides be powerful and majestic in a few scenes here and there. I seriously love Twilight, but if I had a gripe it just seems that the writers are not using her to her full potential anymore (some would say not using her at all actually) in favor of telling slice of life stories and friendship tales with the rest of the mane 6 and other assorted characters (which is OK since I do enjoy those as well). So is that what you are wanting? Her to become an all powerful background character who shows up to smile, offer some advice and then kindly "sit this story out"?

Furthermore, what really makes an alicorn? Skill? Adversity? Fortitude? Selecting the correct set of numbers in the Equestrian lotto? Because the more you add the more trivial the status becomes.

In my opinion, "becoming an alicorn" is starting a new road in your own personal growth, turning a page as it were, and Starlight has yet to reach what I feel is her full potential to make that sort of transition. To make that kind of change now would just be to please her fans who think she has to be more than what she is to justify her existence. If you love her, great... love her for what she is and can become over time and good writing. Who knows, maybe she will become something bigger than an alicorn or something.

• Brohoof 1